So, an old mod, finally updated and posted online.
UDFM first came about in July, 2006, after I read a post in the KHSM thread talking about computers making crappy-looking ships.
I never updated it again, until now.
Now updated for DA 1.8 compatibility, you can find the UDFM in the library (the attached link should show the two DA-Compatible versions).
That's right, two DA-Compatible versions: MV-compatible and Non-MV-compatible. The features list is slightly different beyond MV compatibility, however:
1. Nearly all functional components are now replaced with a blank model (invisible) and one hardpoint facing the same direction as the original hardpoint. (Exceptions are the (still) currently impossible: Colony, Troop, and Advanced Troop Module)
2. All weapons/defense/etc graphics still work
3. All blank components work as intended
4. The AI will use the Blank Modules, allowing for cleaner ships on their part (I have found this to be exclusive, tell me if you find a time other than the excepted modules where they don't)
5. Blank components separated into their own tabs for ease of browsing, as the original components are also available for choosing.
6. One can make an entire jewelry ship (with the help of KHSM) and not mar it with components
7. One can install a ship from another work (Star Wars, Star Trek, etc) and not mar it with components
8. Works with all races and bug-free (AFAIK)
9. Thumbnails for all blank components.
1. All functional components now replaced with a blank model (invisible) and one hardpoint facing the same direction as the original. (No exceptions)
2 and 3. See above
4. AI will only use the blank modules. Guaranteed to be no exceptions (except, possibly, with designs included in the game. I dunno why, but if I remember correctly I believe the graphics for these include the modules as they originally looked).
5. The original components have been replaced, and no XML has been changed, so the modules are still in their appropriate locations.
6-8. See above
9. No thumbnails for blank components. Components that originally included a thumbnail graphic (in the Thumbnails folder) still have original thumbnails. Some components generated their own thumbnails in-game, and therefore have no thumbnails.
10. As this mod replaces graphics and nothing else, there is no reason I can see that would make it incompatible with any previous version of GalCiv2.
Please, as with all mods, make sure you create a backup of replaced files before installing the MV-Compatible mod. Unlike most mods which use the mods folder, due to the nature of Metaverse anti-cheating measures, this version of the mod replaces files. The readme includes instructions.