Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor

Second expansion pack coming soon...

By on August 21, 2007 7:50:36 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1098
Stardock is pleased to announce the second expansion pack to its award-winning PC strategy game Galactic Civilizations II.  The new expansion pack, entitled Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor, takes place shortly after the events of Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar and puts the player in control of one of 12 unique civilizations ranging from the humans to the evil Drengin to the mysterious Thalan. 

Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor aims to greatly expand the wealth of content available to Galactic Civilizations II players.  New features include the solar system destroying Terror Stars, unique technology trees per civilization, unique weapons per civilization, unique planetary improvements for different civilizations, a map editor with a 3D engine, a custom scenario editor that allows users to create extremely custom games that can be shared with each other, Metaverse tournaments, new graphics, special new ships with corresponding ship components and much more!

The expansion pack has a target release date of November 2007 and will list for $29.95.  Users can pre-order it directly from GalCiv2.com at a discounted price.  It requires Galactic Civilizations II: Gold Edition or Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar to be installed in order to use.

246 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 21, 2007 7:56:46 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
First!

Awesome!
August 21, 2007 8:03:39 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Awesome! I was worried it might be a multiplayer focused expansion, but I'm glad to see it continues the great single player tradition already instilled in the series.

Metaverse tourneys   . Won't have to keep track of everything by hand anymore. A pleasant and unexpected surprise.

Will there be another beta for preorders again?

Thanks, now we know why you guys have been kind of quiet lately.  
August 21, 2007 8:14:46 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Wow, so suddenly? It sounds like it should be amazing; I am very excited.

However, there is a typo on the box. "Evan" should be "Even."
August 21, 2007 8:28:01 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
It looks nice.... but I'm still getting the Out of Memory bug ... Any news about an update on this error? It's made GC2 unplayable for me, and I'm not gonna spend more money on a game (that I love), until I can actually play it for more than a few turns.
August 21, 2007 8:39:02 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Map editor, about time. Thats one thing I always liked about Starcraft or Empire Earth was making my own map etc. I wonder how detailed it will be, like being able to designate what planet class each planet is, or what bonus tiles it will have, or more than 5 planets per star...
August 21, 2007 9:02:31 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
unique technology trees per civilization, unique weapons per civilization, unique planetary improvements for different civilizations

Now this sounds very interesting!
For me, these features alone would make the game feel much more... how should I say "Galactic" in scope and nature with each civ. being truly alien from each other.
This addition is what I'd hoped to see in GalCiv III if that would ever come about, but I need only wait until Nov. for this to materialize in the new expansion pack... way to go Stardock!
August 21, 2007 9:19:52 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Metaverse tournaments

WOW!! This is awesome. Well done guys, i guess this indeed does explain why there seemed to a very distinct nothing coming from you guys.

The calm before the storm!

August 21, 2007 9:21:51 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
"unique technology trees per civilization, unique weapons per civilization, unique planetary improvements for different civilizations"

That Does sound very cool, but I'm really excited about the senario and map editors, and I can't wait to use the Death...Terror Stars. (If one comes gunning for me, I'll just break out the X-wings.)  Looking forward to it!

BTW, i thought this was an AAR when I saw it on the "Recent Posts" list.
August 21, 2007 9:26:05 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Actually a few questions, once my elation lapsed it soon turned to worry.

Will this be another digital download or mail out only?

If so will cover art be provided?

If i want a nice looking box, which i do, will i have to buy yet another complete version? Like the Gold Edition.

Please release any news of some kind of cover art prior to the release, it will save many a headache.

Thanks.
August 21, 2007 9:28:58 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Ok i answered some of those questions myself.

But will there be cover art released?
August 21, 2007 9:40:51 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Sounds like a very good expansion!
August 21, 2007 9:51:31 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
What I would like is the option to buy that doesn't involve a Credit card or PayPal.
I'm in the UK, and only really use a bank issued card. It works exactly the same way, but when I bought DA there wasn't an option to use it.

Aside from that, I can't wait!!
Granted, even with a fairly powerful machine, I have to scale back the graphics to get a playable rate, the thought of enhanced graphics, altered invasion.. fantastic.

Roll on release date.
August 21, 2007 9:55:26 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
From the Gamespot article:

We are actually working on Galactic Civilizations II v2.0, which will be free and released shortly before Twilight of the Arnor. It will include improvements in diplomacy and espionage based on player feedback. There was a lot of discussion at Stardock about whether such features should be given away, but we felt that Dark Avatar players had already paid for enhancements in those areas and, hence, we should continue to evolve those features as part of their purchase.

August 21, 2007 9:55:39 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
You guys do great work, I'll go ahead and preorder this. Keep up the awesome work!
August 21, 2007 9:58:17 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I think I just got a hard-on, Brad!  
August 21, 2007 10:13:18 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Terror stars.

Yessssss.
August 21, 2007 11:01:13 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Finally a map editor!
Just 2 questions.. custom maps will be playable on Metaverse?
And what about a Gold Edition?
Will be much better if we can download it instead having multiple installations.
August 22, 2007 12:07:13 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
First I play through the Bioshock demo, and was consequentially left staring blankly and mumbling incoherently for several minutes.

Then I log on here and see two juicy news posts about updates and expansions for Galciv.

Next week, Metroid Prime 3 comes out.

It's like there's a conspiracy to incapacitate me with awesome.
August 22, 2007 12:25:21 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Have the system requirements changed? I am just barely getting by with my i915gm.
August 22, 2007 1:02:13 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Nooooo!
I hardly sleep enough as it! Its pretty cool when the best game ever, gets even more best-est..er
August 22, 2007 1:37:41 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Will there be another beta for preorders again?

I was wondering the same thing myself.

This sounds like it's going to add an awful lot to an already excellent game!
August 22, 2007 1:50:46 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
So, decison time.

Most worthy of my Fall Splurge - AMD quad-core, or 'Twilight'? Hmmm...

Maybe that's AMD quad-core because of 'Twilight'. Can I sell that line to spousal unit?

Real question: Will there be a Platinum (aka 'We Want Your - Gold') Edition in time for Christmas?

2nd Real question: Since Galactopedia is no longer being maintained by its independent creator, and doesn't work with the latest version of GC2:DA, will there be a Galactopedia-like function in either v1.7->2.0 or 'Twilight'?

drrider
August 22, 2007 2:00:08 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Actually speaking of 1.7 and it's changes, most importantly, the constructor management, is this still on it's way or is it now apart of 2.0?

August 22, 2007 2:22:37 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Sounds excelent!

I especially like the new tech tree loving, the same old GC2/DA tech tree is one of the reason I stopped playing this game months ago. After tens of games the same old generic tech tree just feels too boring. I hope there will be even more stuff to differiant the Races from each other, just a simple UI changes and even more varied AI responses should do the trick.

Still I won´t be pre-ordering this one like I did with DA, because before the first couple patches DA was just too buggy for my taste. I will see how the user based reviews go and with most certainty will order this one after release, if not for anything else, just to support SD

ps. About the constructor I really hope its not just some governor screen tweak, IMO they should be as automated as miners. I doubt it will happen but the hope lives. Also the way Star Bases are handled could use some adjusting IMO, just way too easy to spam them all over the place. Maybe just restrict the number of SB even more.

ps x 2. And for the love of god, do something about some of the horrible UI screens that have been forgotten, like the rally point selection window and diplomacy screen. If nothing else, just add a button like "what could make this trade work" button ala Civ4. Iam tired of guessing what the AI wants from me and how much he values for example specific techs. Even better add trade values for techs/threaties/ships and so on, that way it would be easy to calculate deals. Also being able to trade older techs for AI (he has laser 5 why would he want laser 4) should be ditched, would make trading easier IMO too.

ps x 3. Kill the current espionage system. Personal opinion only ofcourse, but this was the most worthless and over "hyped" feature of DA. A more general approach towards espionage would work much better in a game like this. And pls pls pls do something about the groud combat. Where are my soldier/legions units that were mentioned during DA development

edit:

Ok I read the Gamspots interview and it seems that diplomacy and espionage will get some tweaking. I hope with espionage its a whole overhaul. But it seems this expansion pack will be more about content than gameplay changes, a bit letdown for me. Still great that SD will bring some of the expansions new stuff to GC2/DA in form of v2.0 patch.
August 22, 2007 2:52:01 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I can't wait for this one!  
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001141   Page Render Time: