Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor

Second expansion pack coming soon...

By on August 21, 2007 7:50:36 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1078
Stardock is pleased to announce the second expansion pack to its award-winning PC strategy game Galactic Civilizations II.  The new expansion pack, entitled Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor, takes place shortly after the events of Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar and puts the player in control of one of 12 unique civilizations ranging from the humans to the evil Drengin to the mysterious Thalan. 

Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor aims to greatly expand the wealth of content available to Galactic Civilizations II players.  New features include the solar system destroying Terror Stars, unique technology trees per civilization, unique weapons per civilization, unique planetary improvements for different civilizations, a map editor with a 3D engine, a custom scenario editor that allows users to create extremely custom games that can be shared with each other, Metaverse tournaments, new graphics, special new ships with corresponding ship components and much more!

The expansion pack has a target release date of November 2007 and will list for $29.95.  Users can pre-order it directly from GalCiv2.com at a discounted price.  It requires Galactic Civilizations II: Gold Edition or Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar to be installed in order to use.

246 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 22, 2007 3:28:59 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
2 new opportunities to do some (many?) of your customers something good:
- make the new add-on available in retail stores (don't forget Europe!)
- make GC2 2.0 available for all buyers of GC2, not just for the buyers of DA (who are not the only ones who have paid for GC2 already)!

August 22, 2007 3:48:53 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I totally didn't expect this! Exellent, I can't wait!

Please Stardock, take my money, all of it...
August 22, 2007 5:45:02 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I've placed my order.
August 22, 2007 6:12:48 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Sounds great, but in my opinion, the last thing we need is a larger Universe with more planets.
The game is already un playable on Gigantic abundant.
I have a high end computer with a 256mb video card, four MB of RAM, and four megabytes alocated to virtual memory.
I just had to abandon a game wich became so slow and impossible to save.

What I would like to see, is some indication of how a save is progressing.
At present, I have to watch the hard drive light and guess as when it is complete.
If I quit too soon, the computer locks up.
August 22, 2007 6:15:07 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Immense Galaxy "Vastly bigger" ......... I play Gigantic ones at present.

Immense .... I know I will get sucked into 'Immense' .... *Twitch* ..... more hours playing, more life gone ..... *Twitch*

Even my Therapist cant help, he got into Gigantic as well after my first addiction session with him   
August 22, 2007 7:10:28 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
omg omg omg omg, i was just about to ask if stardock planned on a new update, instead we get 2 new updates and an expansion pack...you guys never stop to amaze me.
Oh well count on my 25 buck for this expansion pack.

Also...i saw the interview on gamespot and one of the pictures showed that in the scenario editor you can create custom teams....YEEEAAAAHAAAAAAA!
August 22, 2007 7:21:29 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Expect impressive new Weapons, content, bonus stuff and german translation from I-Mod Productions!

-Stefan
August 22, 2007 9:28:44 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Pre-ordered. Though I must say part of me is a little disappointed they're already pushing another expansion when Dark Avatar still needs some tweaks, particularly with the new ship pieces. Many of them have misaligned hard points, don't attach symmetrically, or could simply use more hard points.
August 22, 2007 10:02:57 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
First: WOUHOU !!

Second:
"Updated Planetary Invasions"

I hope this means that there will finally be a difference between civils and military!

August 22, 2007 10:44:36 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
This looks great - what is the chance of a pre.order beta?

And can a pre-order be payed with Totalgaming tokens?
August 22, 2007 10:51:02 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Excellent news!

I love all the new features, "New Galaxy Size: Immense" is my favourite one!

August 22, 2007 11:00:08 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
My God, it's full of stars.
August 22, 2007 11:15:16 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Please, please God let there be the story editor where the game, after completing a sand box mode, turns it into a story of your conqour or your defeat. Please, please, PLEASE!!!
August 22, 2007 11:19:41 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
And can a pre-order be payed with Totalgaming tokens?

It looks like it will, the link just isn't up for that yet.
August 22, 2007 11:44:58 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Sounds reall great! Will minor races finally be able to do some limited colonization?
August 22, 2007 11:56:12 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I would like to say like everyone that I am impressed. I know this will be a top of the line product because it is from Stardock. I will pre-order soon.

Just one request though: please for the love of God do something about ground combat animation. I am very impressed with the new graphics, the ship battles, etc., but can we have more than atari soldiers, crane tanks, and happy meal shaped mega tanks? Is it too much to ask that ground combat animation be brought up to at least MOO2 standards?

It would be awesome if you could actually see your invasion choices in action. For example, if you paid for the asteroid strike, you could see giant asteroids hurtling toward the battle field. It would be awesome if Drath looked like dino soldiers and not humans. Awesome if the Krynn looked like fish head soldiers and not the same atari graphic human soldiers. Awesome if drengin tanks had all kinds of crazy spikes on them to show just how twisted and evil they are.

Also, like if you researched plasma beam weapons, you got to see your soldiers firing green beams against the oppositions pathetic red beamed lasers. If you researched the tech space marines, it would be so awesome if you saw power-armored soldiers like in Warhammer 40K charging the battlefield.

So much could be done with ground combat animation to make it much funner to watch than it is. Heck, you could keep the same crappy graphics. Just put some variety into it so you can actually see your tech, better soldiers, and invasion choices in action.
August 22, 2007 12:42:44 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Kryo please answer my questions please.
Custom maps will be playable on Metaverse?
Will be there a gold edition for those who have both expansions? Will much better if we can just 1 installation and 1 serial number much simpler than multiple installations,registrations..
August 22, 2007 12:50:58 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Unexpected but excellent news.
The lack of polish both of Galciv2 and DA (mostly, minor races sharing same portraits, tech tree and tech description uninspired )was what really pulled out my interest on both game and expansion even if they were really good products.
Making further distinction between races is another think i really appreciate, instead of adding more races which are more similar to others.
This new approach of improving already present feature and polishing the game is what i really wanted, and i'm definitely buying this product to comeback again in gc2 world.
August 22, 2007 12:55:44 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I don't know about the custom maps, but it sounds like that will be the case, at least with the tournaments. Can't say for sure, though.

As to any new bundle version including DL, DA, and TA, I don't have anything to share on that. But I'm sure there will be an announcement eventually if that is the case.
August 22, 2007 1:00:57 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Hella cool! I just pre-ordered and can't wait for this to be available... oh my grades are gonna take a dive come november... if there isn't a beta available via surprise gift from SD here in the next couple of weeks.....

Keep it up SD and you have a lifetime customer on your hands... when GC: III comes out in 2010 I will pre-order that one too!
August 22, 2007 1:27:09 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Hm.... $29 for SP that requires to buy another SP first ...
I probably will buy anyway (so far I have it all since GC1) but Stardoc becoming greedy ...
August 22, 2007 1:55:38 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Awesome news! The amount of effort and thought you've put into GalCiv2 has made made me a lifelong customer. I can't think of another group with as much post-release customer contact or support. Keep up the good work.
August 22, 2007 2:19:10 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
i wasn't expecting nearly so much in another expansion; it certainly explains the lower level of communication from devs that the community has come to expect (and even take for granted). perhaps the rest of us should work on compiling a list of significant questions - especially details of the update as well as version 2.0 for those who continue to experience problems with gameplay - and a moderator could pass it on to Brad, Cari or whoever might be able to respond. as for questions about the expansion, as excited as i am, perhaps it'd be better to let them finish work on it before we let the onslaught begin.
August 22, 2007 2:30:38 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Unique tech trees per civ!!!

Preordering ASAP!

Thanks again for continuing to improve an already great game, Stardock!

(Yes, I'm a little excited about this.)
August 22, 2007 3:03:23 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Yeah! I have been waiting for the Terror Star's return and larger galaxys for a while now. Uniqe weapons, techs, improvements, ect. for each race are very welcomed by me. No longer is each race to similar to one another. Does the title indecate that the Arnor will be in this one? I can't wait for it to come out.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000657   Page Render Time: