* We don’t currently like how roads are being built but don’t want players to be forced to building “workers” to build the roads. If anyone has any suggestions we’d like to hear it.
In regards to roads the current method is encountering problems/concerns. Well here's my recommended solution:
1) Don't allow the game to try creating the road for players because some players may want a road with the shortest path or the fastest path or the safest path or even a road which is just a decoy. AI players will naturally need help creating their own roads.
2) When a player clicks the "Roads" button allow the cursor image to change to perhaps a wheel or whatever you feel is appropiate. The player then draws the road on the main map he wishes to be created thus taking only about 12 seconds for drawing a road.
3) Large cities can build roads faster than a small village. If a road is connecting a large city and a small village the large city may do 75% of the work since it will have more workers.
4) The first step is clearing the terrain so a dirt road is available allowing faster movement for armies and moving of caravans. Once it's an official dirt road the player may choose to upgrade the road to gravel so the caravans can move even faster. Once it's an official gravel road the player may choose to upgrade the road to pavement so caravans move even faster. Feel free to link these with technologies if Stardock desires.
5) The game still builds the roads... the player merely draws how they will be built.
6) The player pays a very small upkeep cost for road maintenance depending on the length of the road and type of road. The player should be allowed to drop upkeep costs for a specific road which is no longer desired. Once the upkeep costs are terminated the road gradually degrades back to a dirt road and then fades by the terrain, weather, battles, etc., . The dirt road has the lowest upkeep, then the gravel road and finally the paved road. These road upkeeps should be relatively small, but enough so a player doesn't spam roads everywhere carelessly.
A} The player has more options such as a road with the shortest path or the fastest path or the safest path or even a road which is just a decoy.
B} The player can easily build roads any direction and even to other map structures.
C} The player spends very little time building roads and gets exactly what's wanted/needed for the nation. Think of the cursor as a magic marker on the map. Drawing a road from one location to another is only about 10 seconds.
Hope this helps solve the problem with roads.