I did the same. I read all of the forums, watched the videos, and didn't have any experience with the company prior to Demigod.
However, I still wasn't 100% convinced though. As a dota player, I only wanted to play this game if it really had the same addicting gameplay that DotA did, and there's no way to tell that for certain by a few videos and forum posts.
So, when demigod leaked early I pirated a copy. I played that copy for one night and was totally sold. The next day (the official release day) I went out and bought a retail version.
I'm glad that you didn't have to resort to piracy in order to make an informed decision about this product. Had they released a demo version prior to the official release then I wouldn't have had to either. They didn't, but luckily I'm an honest guy (I pay for stuff I use) and bought the real version once I was sold on the game.
1) You did not do the same as the OP. You pirated the game.
2) You HAD to resort to piracy because they didn't release a demo prior to the official release? What ever happened to PATIENCE?
3) You are NOT an 'honest guy' and you don't 'pay for' the stuff you use. You pirated the game.
4) You, and the 90,000 other pirates caused havoc for Stardock, GPG, and the legit retail buyers on the day of release because of your pirated copies hammering the network.
5) I'm glad you wised up and bought the retail version. However, your intent to purchase after you try out your pirated copy is NEVER justifiable.