Played through a full game with the patch for a diplomacy win with 8 majors, 8 minors, immense universe and 100% stable. In my opinion, at average tech speed, the tech progression was just fine. I tend to do a lot of tech trading so if I set it to disallow tech trading, I would just increase the starting tech speed setting a bit.
Nice to see the AI values medium, large and huge scale building techs now. I had to pry those techs from their cold dead hands!
Even the minors build cruisers now, I was impressed.
Still an AI shortcoming is they still don't place fleets on their world. Their doing a better job of building good planetary defenseive ships, the only problem is I can still bring my fleet (big ship) in there and pick them off one by one by one. I think the AI does have sufficient logistics and I know they can build the planetary fleet improvement but they don't. The AI needs to forms fleets in orbit or have a high priority of obtaining/building the fleet manager tile improvement. That stack of 50 fighters and frigates doesn't do them any good as is currently.
1. Negotiations menu. Please have automax accept for IP's just like BC's. That would be great. Makes negotiating deals so much easier. What can I say I am a deal making IP pincher.
2. Negotiations menu. Please list tech cost before the techs! This would speed up my diplomacy 10x! When you got a list of techs 50+ long it gives me a headache and wastes so much time, right click, oh that's the value, close, right click, oh that's the value, close ad naseum. Again I am a tech trading extraordinaire! Just saves me hours of wasted time, thanks!
3. Through event all the minors (and major races) got spies infiltrated on their planets which crippled the minor races permanently. Either that global event needs to be changed or minors need a way to remove spies. An oversight obviously.
4. Conquering should not allow mutiple once only buildings such as technology capital, economic capital, political capital or manufacturing capital. Simply if you conquer such a planet with a unique tile development that improvement should be destroyed. Better yet have a popup asking player if they would like to make that planet their new unique! This then would be the only way to move your capital buildings once they are built.
5. Finally AI does not keep it's approval rating high enough, it is always 50-60% which is yellow, 70%+ is green. Makes it to easy to invade their planets and slows down the AI's population growth compared to the player. For high growth races this is no problem but tends to cripple slow growth races. I never, for example, see the Arcean race fair well in expansion. This is because all AI's treat approval the same. What the AI SHOULD be doing is if they are behind on population then they try to improve approval say 70-90%. If they are a fast growing race then they should care much less about approval and keep it between 50-70%. This would make slow growth AI's much stronger. Currently the base pop growth rate is a very powerful determinant of which races succeed. In my games, the races with the fastest base pop growth rates always prosper because they all treat approval the same.
So the AI could have a choose, breed like rats and live in a hell hole or breed like turtles and live in paradise and get lot's of immigrants. This would balance the AI races much better.