I even went as far as getting a UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply, like Mistralok.. 100% recommended) which not only is a surge protector but a voltage regulator and battery backup. Plus if you get something like this from a reputable company they usually have great warranties (like mine says "...comes with a $100,000 Connected Equipment Warranty and a Data Recovery Warranty"). They even have them so your phone lines (and so forth) run through it.
Just a thought and some well spent money in my book.
I use a :
CyberPower - 550VA Battery Back-Up System
* 8 total outlets, all with surge protection and 4 with battery backup
* 550VA rating with 330 watts of power
* 890-joule surge energy rating
* Battery run time up to 60 minutes
* Phone/fax/modem/DSL communication protection ports
* Automatic voltage regulator
* USB/serial connectivity
* Shutdown software included
* CyberPower $75,000 connected-equipment warranty
And in 2.5 years I've never turned off or unplugged anything hooked to it during a storm and never had a problem.