Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar 1.6 released!

Update includes new graphics engine, new features and more!

By on June 7, 2007 1:16:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1108

Stardock has released its first major update to Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar. The award winning strategy game has garnered universally positive reviews since its release but Stardock’s update not only addresses minor bugs and play balancing but includes a brand new graphics engine!

"Many of our game developers have been working on our next game, a fantasy strategy game and in the process have made real advances in 3D engine development," said Brad Wardell, Designer of Galactic Civilizations. "We wanted to bring some of those performance advancements into Galactic Civilizations."

As a result, players have reported seeing a 10X graphics performance improvement.

"Now players can play on gigantic maps and be zoomed out quite a ways to display hundreds or thousands of ships and still get fantastic performance," said Wardell.

While significant features are common in Stardock’s free updates for its games, a full-blown engine upgrade sets a new bar. The new version also includes dozens of new features as well based on player feedback.

Registered users can download the update via Stardock Central, the company’s unique download manager that not only allows users to update its games but can install the entire game from scratch without requiring the CD onto multiple home computers.

Galactic Civilizations II: Gold Edition is available at most retail stores in North America and includes both the original Galactic Civilizations II as well as the Dark Avatar expansion pack.

A full listing of what's changed can be found here: http://forums.galciv2.com/?aid=154562. The home page for Galactic Civilizations II is http://www.galciv2.com.

Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar v1.6
Requires:
Galactic Civilizations II or Galactic Civilizations II: Gold Edition

Price:
Free Update to existing customer, new users can purchase at www.galciv2.com or at their local PC game retailer
See it at:
http://www.galciv2.com

Developer:
Stardock Corp. (www.stardock.com).

15090 Beck Rd.
Plymouth MI 48170

Screenshots:

53 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 7, 2007 1:24:30 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Cool....just updating it now....thanks for all the hard work!   
June 7, 2007 1:48:59 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Hmm, only one of the three available updates was completed, the Dark Avatar (Expansion Pack) 1.60[b].001 and the Heightmaps 1.59[b].009 do not update, a Stardock error message box pops up and says "The beta of the application you are attempting to download is not available"
I've tried the Refresh Application XML Data in the Stardock settings and still it won't work. I've also tried both of the available servers US-1 and US-2.
June 7, 2007 1:54:00 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Yay, you guys finally did it!
Thanks for all the hard work you put into this.

Now, if you'll excuse me, ill have to go play 1.6 now.
June 7, 2007 1:59:05 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Hi RoPa - Sorry for the trouble you've been having. We've run into some issues on our end that we've since resolved. Please set SDC to US-1 (or US-2) and make sure that Show pre-release versions is not checked. You should be able to download DA and the Heightmaps as expected.
June 7, 2007 2:01:58 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
RoPa, I was having the exact same problem at first, but it seems to have resolved itself. Give it another try and let us know if it's working for you, too!

-Autistic Angel
June 7, 2007 2:10:51 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
 nice, some great changes. Especially love the new GFX engine and the ability to repair starbases with constructors!

now fix the Metaverse so I can submit my games without it telling me that my CD keys are not valid (as in: http://forums.galciv2.com/?aid=151333#1224819). ><
June 7, 2007 2:53:24 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Hi RoPa - Sorry for the trouble you've been having. We've run into some issues on our end that we've since resolved. Please set SDC to US-1 (or US-2) and make sure that Show pre-release versions is not checked. You should be able to download DA and the Heightmaps as expected.

I tried what you suggested and all is well now! Thanks for the help Yarlen!

Thanks to Autistic Angel for the reply.

June 7, 2007 3:27:22 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Sure thing.
June 7, 2007 7:01:32 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Awesome! Thanks a lot Stardock!
June 8, 2007 12:15:14 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Went through those same suggestions and I still can't download DA or the heightmaps.

EDIT: Nevermind. Downloaded the updated XML and it worked on the first try afterwards.
June 8, 2007 4:13:01 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Hi all!

I've got another problem: when i try to download the update for Dark Avatar and HeightMaps, but a Stardock Central error message box pops up: this message says "Module Request Failed: The module you've requested is no longer available".

What can you do? Sorry for the question: i bought GalCivII Gold three days ago and so i must learn to use Stardock Central well.

Bye!

EDIT: I forgot to tell you that i tried also to apply the suggestions but it doesn't update the same; help me please!
June 8, 2007 9:21:35 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I've got another problem: when i try to download the update for Dark Avatar and HeightMaps, but a Stardock Central error message box pops up: this message says "Module Request Failed: The module you've requested is no longer available".

Some people have reported the same even after unchecking show prerelease and refreshing XML, but they were able to get it by completely reinstalling. If you want to try this though, make sure to use the archive option on DA first in case it doesn't work out.

Hopefully these issues will be sorted soon.
June 8, 2007 10:18:50 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I'm eager to see how this update works........dowloading
June 8, 2007 10:36:13 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Some people have reported the same even after unchecking show prerelease and refreshing XML, but they were able to get it by completely reinstalling. If you want to try this though, make sure to use the archive option on DA first in case it doesn't work out.

I found that if I did the updates manually, and in the order they were installed (DL, HM, DA) that they started working again. Almost felt like a dependency issue to me...
June 8, 2007 11:16:08 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I had the same experience as Glitch. ^
June 8, 2007 11:57:24 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Kryo, does your mod work for this new update? It seems to do well on default, but when I switch to your mod, it reverts to DA's old way of dealling with things.

To be blunt, it lags on the mod, but it runs without slowdowns of default.
June 8, 2007 12:27:38 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

i got this too but i could download when i click und update myself without using the auto update function.
June 8, 2007 12:38:46 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Kryo, does your mod work for this new update? It seems to do well on default, but when I switch to your mod, it reverts to DA's old way of dealling with things.

No issues here--framerates are not discernably different for me with regular ships and no mods versus blank-hull based ships and KHSM enabled. 70-75 FPS either way with several on-screen and the camera spinning like crazy, and my machine is barely mid-range by 2007 standards (A64 3200, 1GB RAM, ATI x850 @ 1280x1024 w/ 4x AA).

I seem to recall that you were having performance issues with the new engine throughout the beta though to begin with, weren't you?
June 8, 2007 12:52:11 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I found that if I did the updates manually, and in the order they were installed (DL, HM, DA) that they started working again. Almost felt like a dependency issue to me...

This worked fro me too. I also changed download servers and refreshed SDC xml files b4 trying the second time.
June 8, 2007 1:02:17 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
YES!! YO!! YEAH!!

I'm glad its here!

Man, new graphics engine?! Come on, that is so F^^^ing SWEET!

Great job guys!

Etrius
June 8, 2007 1:28:38 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

No issues here--framerates are not discernably different for me with regular ships and no mods versus blank-hull based ships and KHSM enabled. 70-75 FPS either way with several on-screen and the camera spinning like crazy, and my machine is barely mid-range by 2007 standards (A64 3200, 1GB RAM, ATI x850 @ 1280x1024 w/ 4x AA).

I seem to recall that you were having performance issues with the new engine throughout the beta though to begin with, weren't you?

All of the beta, yes. However, this new update runs better than the previous ones. It still bugs up at unsuspecting places, like clicking the shipyard or making a asteroid base.

PS: Is there a way to disable the research pop-up screen at the beginning of every game? It just kill the framerates. I'm not a fan of the report at the start and the forced viewing of your homeplanet.
June 8, 2007 1:40:44 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
PS: Is there a way to disable the research pop-up screen at the beginning of every game?

Not that I'm aware of, no.
June 8, 2007 4:36:37 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
You guys at Stardock just amaze me at the support you all provide for GalCiv2. This has been the case from the very beginning and I think it all sets a fine example of what makes a developer successful. I am not talking just patches but the big picture, the whole thing. Reminds me a little of the direction Blizzard started going in after their Warcraft series about 13 years ago. This said, I am forever sold on the GalCiv series, I can see this becoming what CIV became. A strategy title everyone knows and will talk about for over 16 years afterwards and even then, another sequel will be released. Well, I think this paragraph I wrote here says a whole lot. Two thumbs way up!   
June 8, 2007 4:55:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Quoting Paris "back to jail" Hilton.....that's HOT!!!   
June 8, 2007 5:15:01 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Great job on the graphics and improvements. Thank you very much for all your efforts. Nice to know you are keeping fires burning!

sureowl
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000953   Page Render Time: