started new game...I have some questions

By on March 3, 2012 2:26:14 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

godfather_77

Join Date 02/2012
+2

This looks like it will be a very fun game to play. I have a some questions that I have not been able to answer through an internet search.

1. Tech stealing option in the manual it says : "Deny spies and conquering troops the satisfaction of stealing technologies by enabling this option." Which sound counterintuitive. if I enable  tech stealing would that not mean that I want to have that occur. If I want to be able to steal techs do I enable or disable the button?

2. How do I graphically view my planets sphear of influence. I though there was a colored indicator showing the distance of my influence. My home planet is Earth. I can see a blue circle when I build a star base.

3. Can i stop research in a certain branch, if so, how?

4.When I double click on an mined asteroid  a  mining base panel pops up...what doe the "assign" button do on the bottom right?

5. Where do i find my logistics ratings?

6. Starbase modules? Do i get  these as a result of more advanced research?

Thank you in advance.

8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 3, 2012 7:32:52 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

1. The option is called "Disable Tech Stealing", therefore, activating it means you can no longer steal techs. Keep in mind, that there are two ways to steal them: through spies (which happens very rarely) and through invasion (quite regularly).

2. You can see it on the minimap on the lower right side. Activate the "ownership" button (middle row, second from the left). The blue circle shown by constructors and starbases are their area of effect.

3. You mean change what you are currently researching? Just click on the "Now researching" tab on the lower left side. This will open the research screen and you can select a different tech to research.

4. The "assign" button lets you choose were the mining base sends its resources. There is, however, a range penalty. The more distant the target planet is, the less resources it gets. This is especially apparent with the first line of mining bases, as even a relatively short distance can reduce the bonus to only 1.

5. Go into the "Civilization Manager" (middle row of buttons, second from the right) and then go to the "Stats & Graphs" tab. You will find it there under "Abilities".

6. Yes, and quite a lot of them, too. Which ones and how many is somewhat dependent on the tech tree, but, in general, you can use this guideline:

Diplomacy and culture techs unlock culture/influence enhancing modules
Trade techs unlock trade enhancing modules
"Xeno Engineering" unlocks a mining module which is a main requirement for all the others
Factory techs unlock production assist modules and mining modules
"Advanced Computing" unlocks an production assist module
Propulsion techs unlock speed assist and slow enemy modules
Weapons and defense techs unlock weapons and defense modules and military assist modules
"Advanced Hulls" unlock the starbase hull repair module
Other hull techs unlock additional weapons modules.
The Terror Star line of techs unlock the modules necessary to construct the Terror Star (think Death Star, but destroying stars instead of planets).

Keep in mind that not all of those techs actually provide access to modules. To find out what each tech provides, right click on it.

There are also some bugs in the StarbaseModules.xml file. This means, that you may not actually able to use all of them, because their requirements have been set wrong. This mostly affects the weapons and military assist modules and is, in part, due to the changes to the tech tree in TotA. The races no longer have access to all weapons, but the unlocked modules still depend on each other. But then, you are better off to use ships to defend your starbases anyhow, as the modules alone are just too weak.

Hope that helps. 

March 4, 2012 1:25:54 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Gaunathor,
5. Go into the "Civilization Manager" (middle row of buttons, second from the right) and then go to the "Stats & Graphs" tab. You will find it there under "Abilities".

Actually what I was  wanting to know is if I can just stop researching a certain branch altogether. E.g., if i wanted to stop research in basic logistics  could I do that?

Quoting Gaunathor,
3. You mean change what you are currently researching? Just click on the "Now researching" tab on the lower left side. This will open the research screen and you can select a different tech to research.

I see that I have +6 in Logistics...which is the start point. how do I tell what my logistic rating is as the game progresses...will it become evident that it is 9 when I research the "basic logistic" tech which adds +3 to my previous 6? Hope that makes sense!

March 4, 2012 6:04:01 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting godfather_77,
Actually what I was wanting to know is if I can just stop researching a certain branch altogether. E.g., if i wanted to stop research in basic logistics could I do that?

So, not just changing the current research project but not researching in that direction at all? In theory? Yes, you can. In practice, however, it's a little bit more difficult, as most techs are quite useful and, as the game progresses, may become needed. But you don't have to research everything in a branch. Just take those techs, that are best suited for your strategy.

Quoting godfather_77,
I see that I have +6 in Logistics...which is the start point. how do I tell what my logistic rating is as the game progresses...will it become evident that it is 9 when I research the "basic logistic" tech which adds +3 to my previous 6? Hope that makes sense!

Bonuses to your abilities  from techs and buildings (like logistics, economy,etc) will be added to your current ability score. If your current logistics are 6 and you research Basic Logistics, it will be 9. The "Abilities" tab under "Stats & Graphs" in the "Civilization Manager" shows always the current number.

March 4, 2012 11:24:48 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hopefully nobody minds if I hijack this topic to ask a couple beginner's questions as well:

1) Does %bonus to influence race has affect power of it's influence star bases?

2) How can I stop auto-upgrading buildings? I have researched new type of factories which I do not really want/need to build as they are very expensive and add very little improvement, but computer keeps adding upgrades to planet queues over and over again even after I manualy cancel them...

3) Every game I start I have one of other races in alliance with me from the very start. That seems a bit unfair as other races start out without such teams. Can I turn it off somewhere, so I would start on my own?

March 4, 2012 11:37:53 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

You'll also see your current logistics score as you put together ships to form a fleet.

The cheapest way to defend your starbases from a ship maintenance point of view is to use a swarm of drone-like fighters, assisted by military starbases.  Each ship only needs one cheap weapon.  This makes them very easy to replace if they are lost.  Because you can fit more small ships into a fleet, the effects of ship assist modules really come into play.

However as was mentioned, the prerequisites for each starbase module are not always clear or are broken in some cases. The most sensible thing would be for all the weapons and defence modules on starbases to simply require Battlestations, since then you're guaranteed at least one point of starbase attack in each weapon type before anything else weapon-y goes on.

March 4, 2012 11:57:08 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

@evilroc

3) In the opponent selection screen in game setup, click on each race in turn and adjust relations.  This probably happened to you after playing one of the campaigns-relations don't properly reset afterwards for some reason.

2) Double click on a planet to go into the planet itself, click details, then click governor.  You can also get to this screen by selecting a planet on the galaxy map and pressing ctrl+P in TA.  Deselect "auto upgrade improvements as they become available".  You may also want to deselect "automatically terraform as technology becomes available".

Unfortunately, there's no global toggle for this setting, although it has been requested multiple times.  You'll just have to do it on a planet-by-planet basis.  What I like to do is set it up when I first colonize a planet, so I don't have to go through them all later on.

1) Honestly, I don't know.  I would assume so, but I've never tested it.

@godfather_77

Eventually, you'll run out of techs to research, and you'll either have to research what's left, or just turn off your research funding.  But after researching each tech, you technically do "stop" researching-you only research one step at a time, although you can get multiple techs due to overflow if your research output is high enough.  So, if you don't want to research something, just ignore it.

March 4, 2012 12:37:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I'm not sure that influence starbases use your influence ability.  With extreme levels of influence ability, the planets to be influenced are already being influenced by some planet of yours, influence starbases add to that.  The main strength of an influence starbase is packing so much influence into a conveniently placed package, if you have all the modules unlocked that is. Then once a planet becomes yours, it produces influence for you, and you don't need the starbases any more unless there are more nearby planets.

March 5, 2012 5:35:00 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Thx!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000469   Page Render Time: