TA vs. DA

By on February 12, 2012 10:27:44 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums External Link

brycej

Join Date 04/2003

I'm afraid I always played DA by grabbing more planets.  To do that I needed money.  I would send out 8 surveyors looking for money.  Otherwise I would get into the hole too fast.

So what is the best way to get money in TA.  Or, is that a bad strategy?

13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 12, 2012 11:19:25 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I'm afraid I always played DA by grabbing more planets. To do that I needed money.

All you need is tech. With tech you can get money *AND* planets, and their ships too if you like. Just be sure that you get all the diplo techs and the diplo translators, then the AI are putty in your fingers.

Thats for DA, but i am lead to believe nothing is different in TA. (i barely play it)

February 15, 2012 5:47:02 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

If you want my humble opinion, Total Annihilation series forever!

February 15, 2012 6:01:38 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

TA in this instance refers to Twilight of the Arnor, the third expansion of GC2. Though if your just randomly suggesting Total Annihilation forever...then best of luck with that good sir!

February 15, 2012 6:51:18 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Oh, sorry, I am such a noob! When I see the letters TA, my mind always think it reffers to Total Annihilation, lol, sorry about that...

February 15, 2012 7:31:36 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

hehe..all good!!

Total was a fantastic series though, to be sure!

February 15, 2012 3:50:44 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

No, I am referring to Twilight (not the movie!).

How does strategy change?  How do you stay above water money wise?

February 15, 2012 5:09:14 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

The Terran Alliance can quickly get far above the water in comparison to the other races, partly due to their diplomatic ablities, and partly due to their tech A History of Extremes that gives them a market center from the start...

most other races sink too fast to become a real threat, even as god-like AI difficulty.

February 15, 2012 5:48:14 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

If you focus on researching tech early game, and get your diplo techs ASAP, you can start trading your high level tech for cash AND the AI's planets very early, March 1 even.
The 3 Trade techs are very valuable, as are the Govt techs, entertainment techs, research techs and engine techs.

Once you get a handful of planets, get your morale high and grow your population, build econ structures and then raise your taxes, though make sure to keep approval in the yellow.

For me, and i havent played a great deal of TA, the strategy does not change.

Quoting Galacticruler5000,
The Terran Alliance can quickly get far above the water in comparison to the other races, partly due to their diplomatic ablities

A custom race will outperform them with ease. And on the higher difficulty levels the AI gets insane bonuses to their economy.

February 15, 2012 9:31:12 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Well....i played a Godlike game and the AI was derpish....they spent their money on entertainment improvements(besides the Terrans, who spamed embassies and markets) and factories, their research was focused on tech victory(but it was disabled) and their ships were.......lets not get into that....

i would have played further but a memory space error ended the game after 20 turns......i had autosave set to 24 turns.(PC!!! Y U NO LAST 4 MORE TURNS!)

February 16, 2012 12:04:44 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Me, the AI's can be a real pain if you set them to (especially) the Thalan AI.

It seems that their AIs always turn the opponents into psychotic and relatively strong empires.

For example, I equipped the Drath Legion with the Thalan AI. Not only they survived until the end (something incredibly rare for them), but they also went on to become one of the strongest empires in the game.

Scary huh?

February 18, 2012 12:08:41 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

VERY scary!

Scary thought..........Dread-lords AI set to Thalan....

June 29, 2012 12:07:44 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

What I do is early in the game when you are just expanding make atl least 2 planets focosed souly on income and at least one on researce. (class 4 in your system) THen you take all your industrial planets and put at least one market center on each. Procede with early game tech selling if you ever come close to the negative 500 mark. with this stratagy it is easy to have the best economy by mid game.

Make shure to researce advanced markets and maybe even trade center early in the game.

June 29, 2012 12:42:44 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

thats an...ok strategy.

also, please repair that terrible grammar.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000281   Page Render Time: