New Update TOA v2.04

By on November 8, 2011 12:42:32 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Seilore

Join Date 10/2006
+8

Does anyone know what the new update included or fixed?

12 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 8, 2011 12:50:14 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

That's what I want to know, too.   Maybe it's just Windows 7 compatibility?

November 8, 2011 1:49:27 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

There is really an update?

November 8, 2011 2:15:12 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Version 2.04

----------------

-Fix for Twilight crashes with some multiple-monitor configurations

-Updated offline activation method

WHAT A JOKE!!

November 8, 2011 4:23:08 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Not a joke though really when you consider the time it takes to convert your average program over to use the newest compiler.  At least, you would hope that's been done by now.

November 8, 2011 4:33:11 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting AstralDreamer,
Version 2.04

----------------

-Fix for Twilight crashes with some multiple-monitor configurations

-Updated offline activation method

WHAT A JOKE!!

I think that he was hoping for more like AI fixes and stuff like that.

November 8, 2011 5:51:34 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Well, it's not like there's a shortage of numbers after 4.  Damn sure if I was putting out an update after a long dry spell and with Impulse now owned by a different company, I'd want to make sure the updating bit actually works.  Otherwise that would be embarrassing, wouldn't it?  "Nothing can stop the awesome update I bring upon you... oops sorry I made a boo boo, never mind."

November 8, 2011 6:00:19 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

So does this mean I can now played windowed on a multiple screen configuration? I could not before. My screen was always two big and getting on the second screen.

November 8, 2011 6:10:35 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

There was previously an issue with Win7 where the game wouldn't start in fullscreen mode with multiple monitors (had to be set to windowed or fullwindowed). That's most likely what the fix addresses.

Not a joke though really when you consider the time it takes to convert your average program over to use the newest compiler.

Last I'd heard, Brad was looking at setting up VS2003 in a virtual machine, as it's not supported on Win7 and converting it to 2005 is not feasible.

November 8, 2011 7:46:08 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Sorry, but i was hoping for some real buxfixes. List of bugs is long...

Who wrote this update?

Like we all see updating this game is possible.

Back to waiting for fixes for more important things like AI and some game mechanics things.

November 8, 2011 8:20:12 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Done when it's done.

As someone who has done the one-man coding project thing, let me tell you, it's no picnic.  You've no sooner fixed one thing than there's another page of suggestions and at least several new bugs or exploits to work on.  And, no matter how inspired or brilliant you might be, you can still make mistakes even when you're supposed to be fixing them.  And testing is arguably the most time-consuming part of the process.

I don't think it's too much to ask that if just one guy is working on this, we should adjust our expectations.  You know, unless the one guy is the last son of Krypton or something.

November 9, 2011 4:27:01 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

You dont't have to tell me how writing a game looks like, because i write them myself, maybe not so big, but i know how it looks like. They have problem with compilers, virtual machine setup is not so hard, i worked many times on virtual machine, for about 6 months, so i don't get this problem.

So much time passed that some things should be fixed alredy.

Games always have some bugs, but in case of PC games there is always more bugs than in console games.

I can live with some bugs in this game, the same way i can live with some bugs in Civilization IV.

I hope there will be some fixes for this game.

I play both Galciv and Galciv2 to this day, and have fun with those games. A little more suuport from creators of those games will be very nice, becasue those games are still on market, people buy and play them. 

World of PC games is so buggy...

December 4, 2011 1:16:46 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I'd love it if they fixed the on-line activation so that will actually work in WINE.  The game runs great, but the activator does not.  Getting GalCiv 2 and Sins of a Solar Empire running on anything but Windows is MUCH harder than it needs to be, needlessly so.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time: