Galactic Civilizations II news!

By on October 2, 2010 12:09:59 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1077

For the past year we've been pretty focused on getting Elemental: War of Magic released.  With its release, our minds are turning back towards Galactic Civilizations to see what we can do.  Awhile back I made a journal asking users what small updates people would like to see and lots of users came through with great suggestions.  So we're going to be starting to look through those to see what's next on the agenda.

For those wondering about a future Galactic Civilizations III, right now, our plans for now will be to continuesupporting the existing Galactic Civilizations II -- no GalCiv III is in the works right now.  

92 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 15, 2011 9:22:57 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Thanks, I'll give it a spin!

May 15, 2011 10:36:42 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Wow, this is definitely exciting news!

There's only one thing that I would want added to GCII, and that's some control over ship battles. I'm happy that we get to watch at least, but I want to be able to give some orders and attempt to affect the outcome.

Maybe not even moving and selecting targets, as that seems to conflict with your place in GCII as the ruler, not the military commander. But possibly just to be able to activate or deploy some technology on command.

Something akin to the president authorizing the use of a nuclear missile.

May 15, 2011 11:01:01 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

You might look at my posts #28 and #35 in the GCIII Tactical Battling thread.

I suggested an approach along the lines of SEIV, in which players could establish genreal guidelines for their fleet commanders.  For example, concentrate fire on the strongest or the weakest ship, try to maintain maximum range, try to close to shortest range, etc.

A structure such as that would be able to be applied to the AIs, and even have them vary by race, etc.

May 16, 2011 7:37:01 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

That sounds pretty cool too!

May 16, 2011 9:39:27 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting MarvinKosh,
Get a copy of the Dread Lords tech tree in the game's Twilight folder, put it in a mod folder or backup your original.

Use the Tech Tree Editor (it's in the tools folder of Twilight) and open up the Dread Lords tech tree where you have it stashed.

Find each of the basic colonisation techs for extreme worlds, and in the Research Cost box, just delete that value completely. Then hit Apply to Selected Tech. Repeat for each one, then save your modified tech tree. What this does is make those techs researched automatically, so this would actually work for any race.

To test, load up the game with cheats turned on, start a new game, and press Ctrl-Y to set off a mega event. The arrival of the Dread Lords should be the second one that you get.

Just tried it with my Terran race and they can now colonize all planets

June 2, 2011 7:33:53 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Multiplayer?

When?

Same for Elemental....... my friends and i play tons of multiplayer games and these two are big let downs because they would be so much fun! guess its back to Civ5 and sword of the stars.

June 12, 2011 6:29:40 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Here is a list of suggestions that I have made over the years, some of which could be by applied to GC2, and some of which would probably need to wait until GC3:

1.  My personal #1 is still the constructor grind.  For the love of god, please allow starbases to self-upgrade. Upgrading them should be a simple matter of queuing up modules, much like queuing up planetary improvements. You could, perhaps, leave in the ability to use a constructor to perform an instant upgrade, rather than waiting on the starbase to complete its own upgrade. For key installations, this would be a convenient and vital thing. For the vast, VAST majority of starbases, however, setting an upgrade queue and leaving them to their own devices would be much more convenient.

Or how about a governor that can keep track of every starbase, letting you set how far you wish to upgrade it, then automatically routing all constructors to multiple starbases at once? I should be able to plan out in advance what upgrades a starbase will get so that I don't have to decide on an upgrade for multiple bases many times each turn. When you have 30 to 40 starbases, all in varying states of construction, and just about as many planets building constructors, it can get a little hard to manage.

If you don't want to make starbases self-upgradeable (but I really think that you should), would you at least consider making starbases automatically a rally point as soon as they are created? I build lots of starbases, and having to build create and name the corresponding rally points for the constructors to find gets to be a pain, especially since the rally point into window still has that strange bug where, when you click on the rally point name, the cursor goes to the beginning and you have to move it all the way to the right and delete the generic name before you add your own.

2.  Make the United Planets useful and meaningful. Right now it is virtually useless. Give the player some real influence over the council. Using Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri as a model, allow us to buy/influence votes, introduce bills, broker deals, anything.

3.  Give the government choices some meaning as well. I hate to make the obvious comparison, but SMAC and Civ IV do this right. You don't need to copy them, but make the choices something more than just a good/better/best/bestest progression. There should be good reasons to stay with one type over another, or to switch back to an older form. The current system is far too simplistic.

4.  This is something that never made much sense to me. If the humans developed the FTL drive, and the other races aquired it from them, why is it that all of the other races start off as 'unknown' to the terrans. I mean, they always start out first contact by thanking the humans for the FTL drive, but that seems to imply that they've already had contact. What's up with this?

The way I figure, the Terrans should always start a game with at least one other race already discovered; the Altarians would be a good choice, especially if you see them as a kind of offshoot of the Terrans. Then you can simply hypothesize that the other races got it from the Altarians, without the Terrans needing to have discovered all of them.

Or, even better, let the Terrans be the only ones with FTL tech at the start of the game, and give all of the others the stargate tech. That could be interesting. Let the Terrans actually play out the passing of FTL tech to the rest of the galaxy.

5.  Change the population/garrison system so that population is calculated separately from soldiers. It doesn't make any sense that my troop transports can hold about 4 BILLION people per module. This just isn't physically possible, and it doesn't make sense for me to have to so deplete the population of my planets to stage an invasion.

6.  I would also like to see some diversity in spy missions. Perhaps let us destroy improvements altogether. Or make it so that the type of improvement a spy is placed on dictates the type of mission: place him on a research improvement and he focuses on stealing tech, on an econ improvement and he steals money, on an industrial site and production for that planet is hampered. Maybe something really interesting could be devised for placing the spy directly on the initial colony site; planetary subversion, perhaps? Who knows? Hopefully these suggestions are actually possible within the current GalCiv2 engine. But I certainly think that they should be addressed by the time we see GalCiv3.

Those are my top six.  Enjoy.

June 12, 2011 7:33:43 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Yeah, I think it would make more sense if starbase modules did not require additional constructors to dock, but upgrading time (and credits, as usual).  Good idea (sorry, didn't read your post properly first time around)

It has the advantage of being something the AI can easily be programmed to do, and it means that you can't just rush in a fleet of constructors and build a fully-fitted starbase in one turn like you can at present, you need to have ships available to guard it.

June 17, 2011 8:05:19 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

To The Great Creator Race

I have injoyed your game for several years and just sign-up. I have played many paper and computer Tatics and Staragity games. Just A few Ideas range should be harder to get and better ship design were sides were shields are and armor is and components take damage So you lose systems as you take damage. Then I came up with a boarding party planet invasion were every five units get a image and one side at a time radom number 1-6 is taken on a one add one\two-three miss\ four-five hit enamy kill\ save one kill(dive for cover) the first to run out pauses for round if your side is dead then a true winner is done. But either side has ships in orbit my flee. But the planet can produce plantary defense Stuff and more troops can add to the grindingt war. Finally not be mean Damage control during combat certain amount repair docks for ships may make them slow.

Realy want to praise you and your Team Will be buying the exasion packs very soon!!!!!

July 4, 2011 3:50:20 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Its been almost a year, is there going to be any more news on an update for the game???

And why has nobody brought this up recently??

I havent noticed very many active Devs on the forums, am I missing something? It doesnt look like the Devs are even working on improving the game any to me....

So no GC III and no update news for GC II in almost a year, not looking good. 

July 14, 2011 5:09:59 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Bumb..any news ? Will there be another update addressing the AI personality issues other people have mentioned in this post ?

July 16, 2011 5:04:28 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Speaks for many...

The Big Sleep continues...

August 17, 2011 3:09:40 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Basically I'd want 3 things all for improvement of user-made materials for the game...

1)Timeframe set by user in campaigns scenarios.

2)Starting Stars and planets flexibility. Meaning mostly environments and colors(Why can't a race start on a blue star and Toxic planet for instance is beyond me. You should be able to emulate diversity and not having to add aditional planets for it)

3)Stargates. I may want to create something different altogether than hyperdrive and such. It wouldn't be too difficult. I don't think there is a star-map indication needed. Just ability to improve ship speed if starting from a planet we have the improvement based(and not if it returns from the destination which doesn't have one.)

October 8, 2011 1:23:29 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

lol

Almost a year later and no update. Dead thread is dead.

There will only ever be an update when pink unicorns are seen flying in the skies all over the world.

Update FAIL.

Back to modding the game

October 22, 2011 6:05:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Well, at least it gives the ability for hackers to hack the code so we can possibly see some needed enhancements. I remember there was one around that said he waits for the game updates to stop before he starts working on the code. So now he can do some work, maybe.
November 6, 2011 8:50:38 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I haven't seen a new mod in ages. I think the most recent in the mods section here is 2009 or so, lol. Know any good websites for that?

Well SOTS 2 came out. As it stands it's a way underpolished game compared to Galciv, but it's got a lot going for it. I would REALLY love to see an update to GC2 to make sure it stays the best in genre.

SOTS has got a 3d star map, looks cool but I personally find it hard to play, planets with orbits, real time controllable battles, and the most interesting thing are the different propulsion methods for each race. Problem is, you can't customize any of that. You dont' get to tweak your starting stats or the scenario much at all, and you can't make your own race. The ship designs are very constrictive.

Now I'm not saying to copy any of that, but any small update would be nice and bring GC2 back to the front where it belongs.

November 6, 2011 11:00:37 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Mods since 2009 have usually been announced in the Modding section.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001532   Page Render Time: