Galactic Civilizations II news!

By on October 2, 2010 12:09:59 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1077

For the past year we've been pretty focused on getting Elemental: War of Magic released.  With its release, our minds are turning back towards Galactic Civilizations to see what we can do.  Awhile back I made a journal asking users what small updates people would like to see and lots of users came through with great suggestions.  So we're going to be starting to look through those to see what's next on the agenda.

For those wondering about a future Galactic Civilizations III, right now, our plans for now will be to continuesupporting the existing Galactic Civilizations II -- no GalCiv III is in the works right now.  

92 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 14, 2010 9:15:58 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I'm delighted to hear that more patches are in the works. I just bought the Ultimate Edition last month and I'm glad that I did. If we're making suggestions for ToA, then:

1) The way that the AI develops bonus tiles needs to be fixed. I'm tired of capturing an enemy planet and finding that the AI has built an entertainment network on top of a Precursor Library square or a farm on a morale bonus square. This is especially crippling for the AI Iconians- who rely on one-per-planet buildings that grant big bonuses if built appropriately (i.e. on bonus squares)- and for the Thalans, whose early research and manufacturing buildings have such high maintenance costs that they usually can only be built  on bonus tiles for the Thalans to remain competitive.

2) The autoupdate feature should improve buildings that are on bonus squares first. If I have five factories on a planet that need to be updated and one of them is built on a Precursor Mine granting a 700% bonus, the factory on the bonus square should be updated first since it will allow the other four factories to be built much, much more quickly.

3) The AI should be more proactive about improving buildings to better equivalents that are not on the same research paths. For example, the Altarians can research Drath Temples and healing pools, which have the same maintenance cost as entertainment networks but are much more effective. Once the appropriate technologies are available, the AI should gradually replace its entertainment networks with Drath Temples or Healing Pools.

4) The AI should look at planets' development potential when deciding where to place capitals and super projects. This means building them on planets with appropriate bonus squares and intrinsic multipliers (like the ones provided by rings, moons, and settlement events) and ideally only on high quality planets. This is especially true for the economic capital, since it should be on a planet that can sustain a high population. The AI should also be more cautious about building super projects and trade goods on planets that are far from their main sphere of influence.

5) I know it's been repeated many times before, but some of the AIs are too eager to research really expensive technologies before they have the cheaper technologies that they need to build up their infrastructures and economies.  For example, the Altarians and Korx always seem to want to spend 50 turns researching Planetary Invasion before they even have Space Weapons or Planetary Improvements, and then they spend all their mps on transports that they are unable to fill (because their populations are so low) or defend (because they don't have any military vessels).

6) I guess this isn't really a bug, but weapon techs seem really expensive to me in ToA, especially when compared to DL/DA. It always feels like a huge sacrifice to spend 8 turns researching a laser that's only one unit smaller than the previous laser, especially when you can research defensive techs four times as fast. On large and huge maps at Tough difficulty the game is often over before any civ can get beyond the first level of Particle Beams/Harpoon/Pulse Cannons.

7) AIs should be more keen to research Sensors and build small/tiny/freighter-hulled survey ships. I usually find that I get almost all of the anomalies that pop up in the mid- and late-games because I'll have 3 or 4 very, very fast survey ships zooming around the map, while the AIs only ever use their flagships (which often get destroyed). I always add weapons, defenses, and HP-boosting modules to my flagship once I have Medium Hulls, since it's often a very strong ship by that point (high level and extra HP from anomalies); it would be great to see the AI do this as well rather than having their flagship destroyed the first time that they go to war.

Deweyjohn, I often see the Krynn researching Terror Stars- they are available unusually early in the Krynn tech tree. The other AIs don't seem to prioritize Advanced Starbase Construction, but if you research it yourself and trade it around you'll be more likely to see terror stars show up late in the game on bigger maps. 

I agree 100% that the AI needs to make better use of support modules. I always design a support ship to throw in with my fleets that carries either a defensive/offensive booster or Fleet Warp Bubbles; it would be great to see something similar from the AI. The  AI should also be smarter about putting transports in fleets together to produce stronger invasion forces; this kind of fleet would be an ideal place for the AI to toss in a small ship with sensors and a Warp Bubble module

Marvinkosh, I agree that an Advanced Mining Module might not be a bad idea; allowing multiple mining modules/ship would be an even easier way of implementing this. I often find that there are long periods between researching mining techs when my miners are just sitting around with nothing to do, though. It might be neat if mining stations required periodic maintenance in addition to constructed improvements; this would ensure that mining ships stay in use throughout the game and would make defending them more critical. It's also frustrating to have your Ultimate Industrial modules destroyed by any passing fighter; perhaps mining ships could evolve into hybrid mining/combat vessels that protect contiguous asteroid tiles and get offensive/defensive bonuses from being stationed in asteroid belts.

November 16, 2010 8:28:12 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I've never seen the AI take potshots at asteroid mines.  I guess it could be because they figure they will control them anyway if they take the planet supplying my influence, or it could be that they aren't Chaotic Evil.  The only time I would take out asteroid mines is if they're providing a significant boost to an enemy planet which I can't capture at the moment.  Otherwise, I wait for them to sign contracts with me instead when planets start changing hands.

What with mining bases self-destructing when a civ is wiped out, I always seem to have something for my miners to do, except in the very late game.  Though Space Mining can be a time-consuming tech to keep having to research, if you control lots of asteroids it's extremely valuable.

November 18, 2010 11:20:50 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

seems someone has opened Pandora's box

November 22, 2010 6:33:55 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I'm thrilled to hear that Stardock is planning on improving that already amazing game!  I'm just amazed to see that you guys continue to support a game so long after it's been released.  

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but there is one "simple" thing that would make the UI more streamlined: a quick way to close popup windows.  For example F3 opens finance management, it would be very neat if hitting F3 again would close that window.  In a more general way, it would also help if there was a shortcut that would always close whatever popup window that is currently opened (suggestion: Esc or mouse wheel click).

Thanks!

November 22, 2010 6:34:53 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting wrax,
seems someone has opened Pandora's box

Oh yeah!!

November 22, 2010 10:06:07 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Rhonin_the_wizard,
Local and online multiplayer, please.

*Facepalm*

Quoting Zyxpsilon,

And -- hopefully -- begin work on early development steps of an entirely new GCIII version (Now, that the behemot Civ-5 is out, i think StarDock *must* hit the gaming market with its modernized flagship product once more, asap!!).

This.  A thousand times this. 

Although, I'm not saying that GalCiv II couldn't use some tweaking...nothing is perfect.  Personally, I don't have any concrete suggestion on what to improve.  I've loved this game since day one, and it only gets better and better.

Still, after (in my opinion only) a steadily declining offering of "flagship" games, I'm ready for a return to what Stardock does best - Kicking alien butt and destroying my free time on a scale rivaled only by possibly Civ.

November 23, 2010 10:04:28 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I would say, stick with what you guys now.  Improve on alot of small things and don't get crazily ambitions.  You guys are a kinda small studio, keep it that way.

I know the money and grand plans are out there, but remember you guys have a solid place in this turn-based niche<3

*Suggestions*

Add some more rpg elements.

I'd like to see something resembling great people

Hire a genius AI guy... I know AI is hard to do, but since you have the time, look for someone special (no offense to the guy who might be doing it now<3)

Don't make the engine too heavy

More race specific techs

and some other stuff.... I have things to do!

goodluck guys<3

November 26, 2010 5:59:02 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

one idea (UI):

in civilization manager, in colonies list, option to move to selected planet (and close civ manager)

now you don't have a chance to do that, you have to close civ manager, and open planet list and search for specified planet then you can click on that planet

November 29, 2010 1:48:13 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Fix the bug that makes enemy fleets turn invisible!

November 29, 2010 9:08:31 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

It would be great if we could have a ship upgrade governor. I hate to go through ships one by one in order to upgrade them. The governor should also be able to scrap ships.

November 30, 2010 12:24:58 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Is there any hope of supporting 1024x600 screen resolution?  That seems to be the common resolution for cheap 10" netbooks.

December 2, 2010 10:12:09 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

1) How about adding cloaking device technology to the starbases.  This technology could only be defeated by a sensor technology that is more advanced than the cloak technology.  Economic bases could be found by following the paths of freighters, but normally Influence or Military starbases wouldn't be used by freighters.

2) The AI sometimes researches technologies that are useless in the current game context.  For example, it will announce that it is researching aquatic world colonization when there are no aquatic worlds in the map to colonize.

3) Instead of having a terror star blow up an entire star, how about we blow up a planet that can't be used for a colony but could be turned into asteroids ?   For example in the terran solar system, Mercury, Uranus, Neptune etc could be turned into asteroids.  Either that, or give the space miners the ability to mine planets that can't be colonized.

December 9, 2010 2:17:31 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Add a none option to anomalies in the selection screen.

December 9, 2010 10:37:55 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Gal Civ is great. Here are some of my ideas of a new patch.

More bling and hull designs, and to finaly give al of the civilizations uniqe hulldesignes. Bling i would like to se is turrets.

Introduce new goverments.

More events.

Implement unlockeble technology trees trough purches containing cool tech like cloack modules (Must have sensor 1 to detect cloack 1) Enemys cant se and attack cloackt ships, but can defend, and can by accident attack you if they move to same sqare as cloackt ship.

Hangarbay modul - Makes smal ships move at same speed as ship with hangarbay. Onley large or huge ships may use the modul.

Make steel tech with spy more effektiv.

Introduce revolution - If the capital planet is conquered and if the civilizations influence is big (like, 30, 50 or more of the map) , and if you have a big blopp of influence that is not connected to the rest of the enpire, a counquerd civilization may revolt and form a new goverment, or a new civilization may arise.

Introduce super projects - Grand space station (Only one may be buildt). A cool looking spacestation that can be uppgraded to work as boath military, influence and trade. 

One super battleship - Grand hulled ship (only one can be built), one grand hulled ship appears that you can equip and build.

Introduce stargate/jumgate between two points. Should have extrem high maintenence, and should be able to uppgrate into a battlestation.

Introduce more leader faces with uniqe abillitys, if one dies another may apear.

If the dread lords appear, dont alow them to travel to far from homeplanet, but make them powerful, and make there planet filled with bonuces. When conquered you will be given uniqe weapon tech. Let them travel the whole galaxy later, after a 80 turns maybe. And let them try do destroy everyone.

If you fale to have majority in the senate two times, you will loose the penelty and gain the bonus of the new party, and a new leader appears.

Comments pleace.

December 13, 2010 6:23:12 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Anything that can be done to improve rally point management would be appreciated.  

Plus setup options to allow greater for speed maximums on huge maps to avoid the tedium of chugging for years across large maps expansive regions.

December 13, 2010 6:25:50 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

The GalCiv2 series has always been one of my favorite strategic SF and among my most favorite games of all times.

Thank you for thinking of freshening it up and not forgetting about it.  Incremental tweaks to the GalCiv2 engine are fine with me.

December 13, 2010 10:13:16 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Got back into playing the latest TA version after 2 years haha still a great game except for crappy AI erratic behavior.

So when are we gonna get a patch to fix the AI strange, stupid, bizzoro, erratic behavour of drengin and others?

Drengin and korath, maybe some other races do not expand in most 80% of my games I play on tough massive galaxies 9 races.

A few other races cant remember who.. think alterians or arcians maybe? they dont expand ther empire and colonize like rabitts either.

Maybe it all comes down to how the galaxy is spawned on each game I dont know?

They have like massive amounts of colony ships at ther worlds just sitting in orbit doing nothing lol ????

Shouldnt the warlike races be building massive warship fleets and not spamming colony ships that just sit ther doing nothing losing heaps of money in maintenance lolz

Spamming colony ships is stupid if they r not gonna use em.

While I wait for AI fix to come can someone recomend what personality they use for the bad AI behavior or any other AI edit they do??

Or what galactic setup also u guys recomend for best AI behavior?

CHEERS

December 13, 2010 11:45:08 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Whuh?? A GC2 update? And it was posted in OCTOBER??? It figures they would do this right after I give up on the site. Anyway, given the many ongoing issues with Elemental, are you still planning on doing this?

I have a few suggestions for seemingly minor improvements, presented roughly in order of annoyance:

SHIPYARD

1. Please go through all the ship hulls and tweak the hardpoints so they're symmetrically placed. You have no idea how annoying it is to spend two hours fiddling with the rotation dials because the component on one side of the ship refuses to mirror the orientation of the component on the opposite side of the ship, only to discover after much frustration that the hardpoints themselves are not aligned properly.

2. Speaking of the [expletive deleted] rotation dials, please add a button or keyboard command that allows said devil-knobs to be incremented/decremented by a single step. Feel free to then port that feature over to Elemental or any other games in which you've implemented insanity-twisters.

3. While you're at it, a way to easily select two or more components and command each to match and/or mirror the orientation and size of the other piece(s) without resorting to fiddling with the infernal pain-wheels of wanting-to-lobotomize-myself-with-a-pencil would be likewise appreciated.

GAMEPLAY

1. Please please PLEASE do something about the insane constructor spam required to get a starbase up and running once you've researched more than a handful of techs. Maybe you could make new starbase modules overwrite older ones? Instead of building a +4% module and then sending yet another constructor to make a +10% module, you could simply build a +14% one. Alternatively, just let me put more than one constructor module on a ship and build the whole thing with my SuperStructor o' Doom (and welding).

2. Rally points. How the f@%! do they work?

3. Some kinda "Upgrade all ships of this type for $OMG credits" button would be nice.

4. The AI should try to bribe me once in a while. The random "You're so awesome pleasedon'tkillme" credits are nice, and they do often ask me to go to war with someone, but they should really try doing both at once.

STORY / IMMERSION

1. More race-specific diplomacy text. I like how the Yor trash-talk organics, and it's funny when the Drengin complain about the humans exterminating the only race they ever got along with, but I'd like to see that expanded to reflect some of the history and culture the civs have. Would a Drengin really insult an Altarian the same way they insult a Torian? I think not.

2. The AI civs should act in ways that more closely fit their philosophy. Drengin should try to blow everything up. Yor should aim to kill as much squishy organic population as possible. Korx should try to sell you your own homeworld. You get the picture.

3. More random events are always good.

4. A mega event that negates the annoying galactic speed limit mega event would be really nice. "Good news, everyone! One of our scientists discovered that if you rotate your hyperdrive engines by 45º, it prevents all damage to the spacetime continuum! All we have to do now is attach your nacelles to these fancy adjustable pylons, and you'll be good to go!"

December 14, 2010 7:04:45 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

YAY No Galactic Civ 3 until you fix Elemental and update 2 a lot more. We don't really need a GC3 anyways just add more expansions for II.

December 15, 2010 1:41:23 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Okay is this going to be another 6 months before we hear anything again? or longer?

Okay that is my rant...

I know you are busy and I hope all is going well during this holiday season, but all I want for Christmas is a small update

December 17, 2010 11:48:43 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I really doubt Stardock is going to do anything to GalCiv II until Elemental is in good shape.

That said, a lot of things in Elemental will help a new GalCiv, as they will fix some of the flaws GalCiv II had, and some of Elemental's flaws won't be in GalCiv for obvious reasons.

December 18, 2010 7:44:49 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Great to hear you plan to do a little update, Brad. Any news on the current situation would be very much appreciated. Cheers!

December 22, 2010 8:14:00 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I love the game but I'm not playing currently because I fear needing to direct the mass fleet of constructors my large civs are creating.  I feel less like an galactic overlord and more like a galactic contractor directing the hundreds of constructors that it takes to build my starbases.

Can you make automated constructors?  Ones that just go upgrading without my input?  And please allow for multiple constructor modules per ship.  If I have the space for it on a ship it doesn't make sense that they can't carry more.

December 30, 2010 10:24:25 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

It would be nice if ships guarding a starbase or ships in orbit could be upgraded by the planet population/ crew of the starbase without having to pay money.  

When destroying a ship that has tech you do not have, gathering the wreckage should give you a better understanding of its technology lowering the research cost of that technology.

When an unarmed troop transport is attacked, and too slow to get away, the captain of that troop transport could choose to surrender his ship to you rather than being destroyed.   It's one way a race w/o the planetary invasion tech could defend itself.  For example the  Minor races could use this tactic.  

We know what kind of weapon / shielding an opponent is using when we click on their fleet.  When we are at war, the auto ship designer should automatically build ships to counter those being build by the enemy.  Often, the auto ship builder builds laser and shield based tech when my opponent has high laser defense with missile weapons.  (Or have an option to tell the auto-designer to focus on using specific tech when designing the next generation of ships). 

There were a few times when I designed some custom tiny, small and medium ships that I had to upgrade my fleets to because the AI had ships that appeared to have been designed to counter the ones being auto-designed for my fleet.

December 30, 2010 1:51:36 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

A few suggestions:

1) Governor's auto upgrade and auto terraform selectable from colony management. And a button to stop all upgrades on a planet.
2) Galaxy map with region's names ("Core Zone", "Inner Rim", "Perseus constellation" etc.). And this regions written on the map and mini-map. This would be useful for AARs, and this also improve the gameplay, as it's more easier to remember where is a fleet or system.
3) List of known galactic resources in the planet and ships list.
4) Some kind of log with the planets invaded by the Jagged Knife, to try to recover them

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0002250   Page Render Time: