Need help on GalCiv2 ultimate edition cheats how do you make them work?

GalCiv2 ultimate edition cheat

By on June 28, 2010 6:10:48 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Trius95

Join Date 06/2010

Hey guys, I'm relativity new here on GalCiv's forums but I'm in a dilemma how do you make the GalCiv2 Ultimate Edition cheats work I keep reading everywhere that you have to add "cheat" to the command line parameter, but I'm no programmer if anyone can give me a walk through on how to enable cheats on GalCiv 2 ultimate edition the help would be greatly appreciated

10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 29, 2010 7:00:26 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I don't know anything specific about where UE puts things or how it works but the first thing you need to do is to figure out whether you're calling the executable directly or whether you use an intermediate launcher program like what's used in the more "normal" configuration of the game plus expansions.

Just navigate the Start Menu to where you usually launch the game, however instead of left clicking to start the game right click to bring up a menu, at the bottom of which should be "Properties". Clicking on properties lists the properties of the shortcut you use to play the game. Look for the string listed under "Target".

In my case that string is "C:\Games\GalCiv2\Twilight\TALaunch.exe" but that depends on the version of the game that you're playing as well as where you decided to install the game. However in regard to using cheat mode the key thing is that the actual executable that is being called is TALaunch.exe. That's what I referred to as the intermediate launcher program. You cannot use cheat mode when using a launcher. Instead you need to create a shortcut directly to the executable that you want to play in cheat mode.

Again where the executables are will depend on the version of the game and where you specifically installed them but the target link above should give you some idea of where that may be. Also you will have a different link in a different directory for each different version of the game that you can play.

In my case I have a special shortcut setup to play Dark Avatar in cheat mode, the executable of which in my case is located here:

C:\Games\GalCiv2\DarkAvatar\GC2DarkAvatar.exe

To play in cheat mode all you have to do is find the executable you want to play and create a shortcut adding the word cheat after it as in the following.

C:\Games\GalCiv2\DarkAvatar\GC2DarkAvatar.exe cheat

To do this again navigate the Start menu until you get to the link that you normally use to play the game and again right click instead of left click on the icon. In this case instead of selecting "Properties" select "Create Shortcut" which will create a copy of the link. You can then select "Properties" of this new link and edit the name, icon, as well as the target.

In this case put your version of the above string as the new target "C:\Games\GalCiv2\DarkAvatar\GC2DarkAvatar.exe cheat" (without quotes) and don't forget to change the "Start in" directory from whatever it was (in my case C:\Games\GalCiv2\Twilight) to whatever the new directory is (again in my case C:\Games\GalCiv2\DarkAvatar).

Then you should be all set to go with your normal access for regular play and a separate link to play in cheat mode.

June 29, 2010 8:29:02 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Thanks for the Info, It seems to be working well     

February 25, 2012 7:09:15 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I can not get it to work.

March 9, 2012 11:01:31 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Can't get ti to work either...

Anything to do with Impulse?

March 10, 2012 6:03:25 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting lhim,
Anything to do with Impulse?

Impulse has no effect on this. Just make sure, that the "target" line points to the exe of the game and not the launcher.

March 10, 2012 9:25:31 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Here is what the shortcut Target reads:

"C:\Program Files\Games\GalCiv2Ultimate\GalCiv2.exe" cheat

The only "cheat" that works is [Ctl] + N gives me a new game...

Note: I have been playing under Admin mode as and Admin so if the compatibility Privilege Level isn't checked as Run as Admin it does not find the saved files once it launches.

March 10, 2012 10:45:18 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Now it's worse:

Since previous to my attempt to do the cheats was only a launch shortcut was via Impulse "GCLauncher.exe", it's location was as c:/Users/Public/Public Desktop. I COPIED the My Games folder from User/Admin/My Documents/ to User/Public/Public Documents/.

Since nothing else appeared amiss in the shortcut trying to activate the cheat codes, perhaps Win7 had some bizarre idea that it should be in the User account. 

Now the freaking shortcut to directly launch GC2 "GalCiv2.exe" will start the game but when you hit Load nothing is in the list to load... Prior to that copying of My Games it had worked - the cheats didn't but the list of saves were available.

Why the frack cannot the game builders simply allow the USERS to decide where the saves will be? This is such a pain in the ass...

March 10, 2012 11:40:42 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting lhim,
Since nothing else appeared amiss in the shortcut trying to activate the cheat codes, perhaps Win7 had some bizarre idea that it should be in the User account.

Win7 has no effect on the cheats. Playing the game in Admin mode, however, definitely has an effect which account is used to store the data (saves, configs, etc).

Quoting lhim,
Now the freaking shortcut to directly launch GC2 "GalCiv2.exe" will start the game but when you hit Load nothing is in the list to load... Prior to that copying of My Games it had worked - the cheats didn't but the list of saves were available.

GalCiv2.exe is for the base game. If I am reading this right, you probably have the UE, correct? In this case, use the GC2TwilightOfTheArnor.exe in the Twilight subfolder. Change the "start in" line to point to the Twilight subfolder, too. Depending on where you installed the game, both lines should read something like this:

"\Stardock Games\Galactic Civilizations II - Ultimate Edition\Twilight\GC2TwilightOfTheArnor.exe" cheat
"\Stardock Games\Galactic Civilizations II - Ultimate Edition\Twilight\"

Quoting lhim,
Why the frack cannot the game builders simply allow the USERS to decide where the saves will be? This is such a pain in the ass...

Because Microsoft says so.

March 10, 2012 5:35:00 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

The Twilight of Arnor works - even with cheats... Yes, I have UE.

I probably shouldn't use Admin but the Win7 UAC stuff drives me batty. Not just with the game but elsewhere as well.

Does the "Microsoft says so" apply to game publishers? Rhetorical Q I guess. I have never understood the whole "My Documents" thing as I want my data the hell away from the OS. One disaster ate my C; drive but the D: - with all my data was just fine...

Finally, thanks for straightening me out on the game versions. I knew they were there but the documentation was a bit short in that department.

March 10, 2012 6:02:24 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting lhim,
I probably shouldn't use Admin but the Win7 UAC stuff drives me batty. Not just with the game but elsewhere as well.

You can lower the settings for the UAC, if you want.

Quoting lhim,
Does the "Microsoft says so" apply to game publishers? Rhetorical Q I guess. I have never understood the whole "My Documents" thing as I want my data the hell away from the OS. One disaster ate my C; drive but the D: - with all my data was just fine...

No, it applies to the way Microsoft handled the division between Program Files and My Documents. According to Microsoft, Program Files is only for the program data. Any changes by the user have to go to My Documents. They also pretty much enforced this, by making Program Files almost totally read only for programs. Any program (especially games), that uses Program Files to store changes, doesn't work properly anymore.

Quoting lhim,
Finally, thanks for straightening me out on the game versions. I knew they were there but the documentation was a bit short in that department.

No problem.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000938   Page Render Time: