Fires of Terra

The Beginning

By on October 17, 2009 2:17:28 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Namus

Join Date 03/2007
+3

It was the age of the Hyper-Drive. It was a time when races around the galaxy threw off the shackles of Star Gate travel and expanded recklessly into the great universe. Hundreds of planets were colonized, dozens of star bases watched over the various sectors of space.

As technology developed, the races made contact with each other. They negotiated, struck up deals & trades, and shared their culture. Old enmities flared and war broke out. The galaxy was becoming a dangerous place.

It is in this era that humanity has truly achieved its dream of becoming a star spanning species. Hundreds of millions of people set out every year to colonize new and exotic worlds. Goods and visitors from alien worlds flooded into the colonies and even into Earth.

And steering the Terran Alliance to greatness in this new age was the legendary war hero Alan Bradley. Hero of the AI wars, this grizzled war veteran and his military government was the new hope for the future.

Humanity needed a strong hand now more than ever for these were also the times when the shadows of strife had begun to make their presence felt. This was the Age of Destruction, when conflicts would tear entire civilizations apart – and the fires of destruction would rain upon the races of the galaxy.

Would the Alliance survive these dangerous days? Only time would tell…

For remember, in every man, a beast lies chained.

And who am I you ask? Let’s just say that I have been there since time immemorial…from the time before the galaxy was formed. I am Time…I am Omniscience…I am the Precursor of the Precursors.

I have watched the galaxy form, watched the rise and fall of the elder races, watched as millions of years of evolution were destroyed in a few seconds. But I have also watched the younger races as they grow and expand and in particular I have watched humanity. For unknown to themselves, they hold the destiny of the galaxy in their hands. But enough! It is time to let history tell its tale.

59 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 26, 2009 4:34:19 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Me want More.

Can the ASV Raptor arrive in the eleventh hour to save Bevora? Only Namus knows...

+1 karma for you Namus, unless you don't finish the story.

October 27, 2009 3:57:50 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

OMFG-superb Namus!! Absolutely love this angle-wonder whether the young'un survives tho.....

This 'Bridge Commander' that you love playing I see is Star Trek Bridge Commander from 2002-have there been any newer versions designed since then?

Am looking for a similar sort of game to play (though I could of course just start a new GalCiv game that will be able to benefit from all the patches that I havent been able to as the version that I am playing is the 1st edition)

Answers on a postcard

October 28, 2009 9:40:40 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Absolutely loving this aar

great job

CR

October 28, 2009 3:55:13 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Are you playing on TA or DA?..fantastic posts dude..keep it going.

October 28, 2009 4:52:07 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Namus,
btw...

Can anyone tell me the name of a good Space Combat simulator where u get to fly capital ships (other than Battle Cruiser 4000 A.D., Independence War & Starfleet Command/Bridge Commander). Ive played lots of usual space sims like TIE Fighter, Wing Commander II, etc but I want to command my own capital class starship!! U know...bigger guns... 

Klingon Academy.

lots of big guns!

October 29, 2009 3:21:43 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Muchos gracias people! Thanks to you guys I can continue to do what I love most...write!

This 'Bridge Commander' that you love playing I see is Star Trek Bridge Commander from 2002-have there been any newer versions designed since then?

Well as far as I know there are a few big mods in progress like the Kobiyashi Maru mod. Will try to find out more once I finish the game. Also can't wait till Star Trek Online & Star Wars The Old Republic get online!!

Are you playing on TA or DA?..fantastic posts dude..keep it going.

Tx. Currently playing good old origininal DL. Once I play a few games completely may get TA or DA.

Klingon Academy.

lots of big guns!

Tx Admiral! Gunga love BIG guns!! 

Next post coming up tomorrow...

October 29, 2009 7:29:48 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Just make sure Jar Jars isn't command.

That gives me a thought. You must make a ASV Jar-Jar. it could be the comedy relief ship.

October 30, 2009 11:11:38 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Namus,

Had never read any of your stuff, but after starting to read this great story I might just go through the all the old aars and see if you got anything else there to read. Gripping stuff. I feel small and insignificant next to you.

cheers sir.

October 31, 2009 1:35:12 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Why thank you Admiral!!

-----

Stardate: 22.2.2239

Location: On the bridge of ASV Raptor, Fold Space, Outskirts of Bevora System, Alliance Outer Rim

The continuous multi-hued flash of the photonic hyper-field would have normally been a hypnotic sight for the young Starfleet officer, but he was too tense thinking of the chain of events that had led to his current situation.

Just barely two months from Earth, while cruising in deep space, re-charging the photonic emitters for the next jump, he had received the tragic news of the fall of Bevora II. More than 180 million people, fellow humans like himself, exterminated almost to the last person by those metallic monstrosities from mankind’s worst nightmares. Although the almost two million strong Bevoran Terrestrial Army had fought well, destroying more than half a million drones, they had been no match for the grim efficiency and firepower of the advanced Collective troops. And he had been powerless to stop them! What was even scarier was the irrevocable announcement of war by N-1, the leader of the Collective, hours after the ruthless attack on the planet. In its own words – “This galaxy was not big enough for the both of them.” A grim reminder of the fate of the fabled Iconians, the most ancient of the younger races.

The crew, though shocked to their core by the grim news had stoically gone about their duties, although it didn’t need a genius to figure out that morale was at an all time low. As for the captain, a white hot fire raged in his heart. Revenge!

Then in its last stopover in real space before reaching the Sadoc system, the Raptor had been contacted by the Commander of the Alliance starbase Redwood, located at the outskirts of the same system. Just a few hours back sensors aboard the massive military station had detected an incoming alien ship – another of the nightmarish Yor troop transports. According to the latest hyper-spatial trajectory calculations, its destination was the relatively newly set up colony of Sadoc II. Would the Raptor arrive in time? Or would yet another planet succumb to the horror that was the Yor?

A crisp professional voice brought the captain out of his grim reverie.

“Sir, we are nearing the hyper-egress point near Sadoc II. Phase Out in two minutes.”

It was time.

“Okay people, this is it! You know the situation. We cannot let that ship reach the planet. Power up the missile systems and sound the alert. Mr. Hector, prepare to scan!”

-----

The sleek destroyer warped into the real space of the Sadoc system.

“Full scan! What is the bearing and ETA of the transport?”

“Sir…we are receiving another data packet from AS Redwood. This matches the data from our sensors. Incoming bogey at 118 degrees portside. ETA 2 minutes!”

“Helm, plot an intercept course. Weapons, prepare to acquire target and fire on my mark!”

The numbing tension of the next two minutes was interrupted by a flash of pure terror as the large enemy ship appeared just a few hundred miles off their port bow. The large angular metal superstructure, resembling the carcass of a gigantic beast was scary enough, but the knowledge that it housed more than a million merciless machines programmed to eradicate all human life was what made it truly terrifying.

The captain was once again brought out of his trance as a panicked voice shouted, “Captain, the ship has engaged full thrusters and is heading towards the planet!”

“Target their starboard reactor section!”

Time passed in slow motion as the enemy ship came ever nearer the defenceless planet with its deadly cargo…

“Sir, they will be in launching range in another two minutes!”

“Target acquired & locked.”

The captain gave a sigh of relief.

“Fire!”

As the two bright yellow streaks sped towards the alien ship, it did something unexpected. It turned…

“Sir! The enemy is changing course and is on a direct intercept course! Sensors detect weapons powering up.”

“Evasive maneuvers!”

“Incoming weapons fi…”

The ship shook violently like a bird in the maw of a cat, as a series of searing green plasma beams crashed into it, one after another.

The bridge was swathed in red lights and it was utter chaos. Small electrical fires swirled around burned consoles with a hissing sound, accompanied by sparks.

Ignoring the growing bruise on his head, Eddie Rogers managed to seat himself upright once again.

“Enemy ship status?”

The answer was spectacular.

As the missiles tore through the rear fuselage of the enemy ship, the large fusion warheads exploded in a paroxysm of destruction. It set off a series of small explosions throughout the length of the hull, until the massive ship finally disappeared in a blinding blast.

The dampening sensors struggled to reduce the visual intensity of the blast to non lethal levels.

As the light cleared and vision returned to the shaken crew, the view that met them on the viewscreen was astounding. Where there had been a large ship in their path a few minutes ago, now there was nothing other than a slowly expanding field of debris.

One million Yor had just been blasted to oblivion.

“Damage report!”

“Sir, port hull has been breached. Heavy damage in port section, decks 3-4. Light damage to reactor. Three crew members reported wounded, one in a bad condition. Engineer Larsen didn’t make it.”

The young captain cursed inwardly. His first action and he had already lost a man in battle. How many more would die in the days ahead?

“Damn! He was a good man. Well, we will grieve for him later. But first we have to ensure we can keep this vessel in one piece. Seal those decks! Send over the engineering and medical teams. Engineering priority is the reactor. Contact the Sadoc II government and tell them to receive us in orbital dock with a full repair crew.”

“Yes Sir.”

As the badly damaged destroyer limped into orbit of the planet they had just saved, Eddie finally calmed down and retired to his quarters, leaving his X.O. Patterson in charge. He knew they would need all the sleep they could get.

The war had just begun…

November 2, 2009 4:09:32 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I belive that I don't need to say what I think.

November 3, 2009 11:29:44 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hey Namus, where'd you get those screenshots in your last two posts?

November 4, 2009 8:55:19 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting namekino,
I belive that I don't need to say what I think.

It's that bad?? Just kidding...tx namekino...nice to have such a dedicated reader!!

Quoting General Homsar,
 Hey Namus, where'd you get those screenshots in your last two posts?

The answer - GOOGLE!! Just randomly did a search and got a few pictures.

Next post coming up..it's a little short...

November 4, 2009 8:58:18 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

From Lagrosse’s Encyclopedia of 23rd Century Technologies, circa. GY 11…

Replication technology first made its appearance in the insanely popular 20th century television Sci-Fi series called Star Trek. It caught the public imagination by storm but soon passed from the collective consciousness within a few years. It was only in the 22nd century that a brilliant scientist called Gunther Bergmann developed the first viable replicator in his home lab in Dresden, Germany. Although it was revolutionary for its time, the sheer complexity of the device required the replication device to be massive and with very limited range. They were only used in places like the International Space Station or the Mars & Lunar Outposts, where resources were scarce.

Advanced miniaturization techniques developed by Alliance scientists by 2226 finally allowed replicators to reach a size where they could be used aboard ships. With help from the Arceans, this technology was developed even further and was also applied to handguns.

The primary benefit of replication technology is that it allows ships to travel interstellar distances, carrying a minimum of supplies on board. Using the replicators, the crew can get a continuous source of supplies, allowing them to stay in space longer.

In weapons, the primary use of replication systems is the re-generation of ammunition. Imagine a Missile Destroyer like the Raptor. Due to the relatively large size of the power reactor & the AI core, normally not more than a few big missiles like the Harpoon could be stored on board. This could severely compromise its staying power in combat and become a tactical handicap, especially far from any source of re-supply. That is where replication technology comes in. Using the weapon blueprint data in its memory core, the ship can replicate copies of these missiles to replace fired and lost ammunition. The same principle is used, albeit on a much smaller scale, in any projectile based weapons and handguns.

Although this technology gives rise to awesome possibilities, there is one major hurdle – power. The larger and more complex the object replicated, the more the power used. Especially in combat, large-scale draining of power from the central power core is not viable, so the replicators are sparingly used.

In case of hand guns, each clip contains a small replication chamber at the base of the clip. Like energy weapons, after a few rounds, the replication chamber starts over-heating and so it must be allowed to cool down. This makes the trooper vulnerable during this period. After several dozen rounds the clip runs out of power and must be replaced. Vehicle weapons and fixed installation weapons are large enough to have reactors that can continue to power their replication chambers for extended periods of time.

Of course at this time pretty much every other race had more advanced replicator technologies than the Alliance, but it was rapidly catching up.

For more data, please read Marion’s Critical Technologies: the Post Warp Era.

November 4, 2009 4:46:18 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Namus,

The answer - GOOGLE!! Just randomly did a search and got a few pictures.

Wait, there are screenshots in the last 2 posts? I can't see them .

P.S. nice dictionary entry. Good thing they haven't forgotten their roots.

November 7, 2009 8:35:41 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Stardate: 15.8.2239

Location: On the bridge of ASV Wasp, Normal Space, Outskirts of Rasha System, 2 Parsecs inside Collective Border Space

Commander Hadrock simply hated machines…the sentient kind. He had a very good reason for this somewhat hostile sentiment. He had lost his beloved dad and all his childhood friends in the nuclear attack on his hometown of St. Vernon, during the starting stages of the AI War.  Now many years later, one of his best friends Edith Murphy was reported MIA in the horrific attack by the Yor on the planet of Bevora II. To him, the only good sentient machine was one which had been reduced to slag.

But finally, after years of inaction, he was finally doing something that might help take the war to the machines. As per the new strategy formulated by Starfleet Command, his ship, the ASV Wasp and the other 4 Raptors in his 2nd Squadron had infiltrated into the Rasha system, in Collective space to scan for any hostiles and relay the data back to the AS Angola. This giant military starbase, which served as the rally point where new destroyers arrived fresh from the shipyards and formed themselves into squadrons, would then relay the data to Starfleet Command.

Good thing too, the Commander figured. He was getting tired of sitting round all those months, just performing mock training drills and exercises with the other destroyers of the 2nd Fleet, while they kept getting news of the destruction of yet another Yor Collective transport ship and even a colony ship in the Sadoc system, by the ASV Raptor and the other ships of 1st Squadron.

A sharp gasp broke through his musings. He turned to see his Sensor Officer, a normally imperturbable bear of a human, Versovsky, turn just a shade of white.

In a couple of strides he had reached the sensor station (it was after all a small bridge) and looked at the display. Against his will a cold shiver ran down his spine, followed by a feeling of exhilaration that almost made him feel giddy.

They had found the enemy!

A full Hunter-Killer Squadron, consisting of 3 Type-2 class Heavy Fighters and one of the newer and deadlier Type-3 class Heavy Fighters, all armed with the powerful Collective Plasma beam cannons, was patrolling the system just 2 parsecs away from them. He was sure that their advanced sensors had detected the Terran ships too…

He turned to the Com. Officer.

“Jakes, send a data dump to the other ships of the squadron & also to AS Angola with the message that we are going to engage the enemy. And open me a line with the rest of the squadron.”

“Mr. Barc, prepare to activate Impulse engines and move us on an intercept vector.”

He sat down and activated the squadron-wide comm.

“This is Captain Hadrock to 2nd Squadron. As you might know, our sensors have detected an enemy Hunter Killer Group in the vicinity. We know how deadly these machines can be, but for once we have superior numbers and firepower on our side. If we can destroy this enemy fleet, it will be a major victory for the morale of our colleagues in Starfleet and everyone in the Alliance. We will show them what it means to mess with humanity! It’s time for war gentlemen and ladies. I need your 200 % and more. For Bevora! Man your posts and ready your weapons. Red Alert!”

Looking around, he could see that his little speech had had its intended effect. Instead of the scared looks that they had given him just a few seconds ago, they now tended to their stations with a sense of determined efficiency.

As one, the 5 Raptor class destroyers of 2nd Squadron turned and activated their Impulse drives.

Things were going to get very interesting …

P.S.: In an earlier post I had mentioned AS Angola as being in the Sadoc system. That was incorrect, and the actual name of the station was AS Redwood (that has now been rectified). AS Angola on the other hand was the first Alliance Battle Station to be built, on the extreme southern tip of Alliance space, near the Aliiance-Collective border.

November 11, 2009 12:29:17 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Stardate: 15.8.2239

Location: DefCom HQ, New Moscow, Russia, Earth, Solar System, the Hub

It was a beautiful sight outside, with the incessant snowflakes lazily carpeting the surface of the great city. Tall metal towers intermingled with clumps of mass housing projects, while around them a variety of hover cars, hover trains and sky buses zipped around, transporting millions of citizens about their daily lives.

As the Grand Admiral looked over the gigantic grounds of the DefCom compound and beyond into the main city itself, he couldn’t help thinking that the peaceful setting was all part of an illusion, not a reality.

All the beauty of their homeworld Earth couldn’t hide the huge amounts of destruction that mankind had inflicted upon her, either knowingly or unknowingly. They had survived the 21st century without nuking each other to death, only to be almost exterminated by the new breed of machines they had developed, controlled by a rogue defence AI that had grown sentient and had seen humanity as a threat to be obliterated to preserve the concepts of logic and order. More than 3 billion people, in hundreds of cities had been wiped out by these machines of their own making, before finally the core AI was destroyed by a suicidal attempt by a multinational rebel group. Mankind had survived, but the planet still bore the scars of war.

And now finally, the horrors of intergalactic warfare had reared their ugly head and shoved the terrans once more towards the precipice of extinction, as they fought for survival against an ancient race of machines which abhorred the very concept of organic life.

“Grand Admiral!”

He turned to see his trusted colleague Admiral Aevidus looking at him with a knowing smile.

“It’s time! The action should begin in a few minutes.”

Grand Admiral Graenor just nodded and walked out of his personal office. As he walked through the huge hallways of the complex, he could feel a palpable tension in the air. Although the action they would soon witness was going to happen more than a hundred parsecs away in space, everyone knew that this was a critical battle in the war.

Soon, they approached the Dome, as the Control Center was called. Buried deep under the bowels of the DefCom compound, this was the nerve center of Starfleet Command. As he entered through the massive automatic doors, he gave a nod to reassure the nervous soldiers guarding the gate. Inside, everything was pure chaos, but if you looked carefully, there was a method in the madness.

Hundreds of consoles littered the massive room, while several dozens of harassed looking officers in uniforms worked at them. In the middle of the room was a large holo-tank, where the location and status of all space ships in Alliance space were shown.

As the doors clanged shut, the view soon changed to a 3-d image of space in the Rasha system. Things became deadly quiet in the room.

The Battle of Rasha was about to begin…

November 11, 2009 1:00:31 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hi All.

As General Etrius pointed out, there seems to be a problem when viewing these posts in IE. I have tried editing in IE but its not working.

It seems to be working properly only when using Firefox to view it!

Sorry for the inconvenience folks...don't know whether its a browser problem or a virus.

November 11, 2009 5:36:04 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Very good. Nice job of explaining what happened to the old moscow.

P.S. good luck against the Yor. Looks like you need it.

November 20, 2009 11:07:30 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Namus-absolutely loving this-have uploaded Firefox in order to stay abreast of your epic. I know you said something about my story inspiring you-other way round dude-this is struly superb on a number of different fronts not least the intricate technicalities you keep reminding us all about

All makes for a very immersive story mr-a new hero of the AAR is born methinks

December 1, 2009 1:59:28 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Boo IE

YAY Firefox

nuff said

December 1, 2009 7:44:22 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Here Here.

December 5, 2009 8:05:47 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

hmmm...good point Admiral!!

Long live Firefox!

On another note...it's happened again!!

My computer has crashed. I hope this time my data stays. Also, to compound thing got a new job so moving back to my old city of Mumbai. Back to good old Game Designing!

Will get my comp fixed in a few days, then lets see.

Crossing me fingers...

December 5, 2009 9:37:28 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Fingers crossed indeed Namus-would be a great shame to lose you

December 12, 2009 12:46:25 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Can't wait for more.

(I have a 1 track mind, so this is the only AAR I'm focused on right now.)

January 28, 2010 12:44:26 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Excuse me, but I'm having a problem. Despite 49 replies being mentioned, i can only get to reply 34, which says

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0002578   Page Render Time: