Fires of Terra

The Beginning

By on October 17, 2009 2:17:28 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Namus

Join Date 03/2007
+3

It was the age of the Hyper-Drive. It was a time when races around the galaxy threw off the shackles of Star Gate travel and expanded recklessly into the great universe. Hundreds of planets were colonized, dozens of star bases watched over the various sectors of space.

As technology developed, the races made contact with each other. They negotiated, struck up deals & trades, and shared their culture. Old enmities flared and war broke out. The galaxy was becoming a dangerous place.

It is in this era that humanity has truly achieved its dream of becoming a star spanning species. Hundreds of millions of people set out every year to colonize new and exotic worlds. Goods and visitors from alien worlds flooded into the colonies and even into Earth.

And steering the Terran Alliance to greatness in this new age was the legendary war hero Alan Bradley. Hero of the AI wars, this grizzled war veteran and his military government was the new hope for the future.

Humanity needed a strong hand now more than ever for these were also the times when the shadows of strife had begun to make their presence felt. This was the Age of Destruction, when conflicts would tear entire civilizations apart – and the fires of destruction would rain upon the races of the galaxy.

Would the Alliance survive these dangerous days? Only time would tell…

For remember, in every man, a beast lies chained.

And who am I you ask? Let’s just say that I have been there since time immemorial…from the time before the galaxy was formed. I am Time…I am Omniscience…I am the Precursor of the Precursors.

I have watched the galaxy form, watched the rise and fall of the elder races, watched as millions of years of evolution were destroyed in a few seconds. But I have also watched the younger races as they grow and expand and in particular I have watched humanity. For unknown to themselves, they hold the destiny of the galaxy in their hands. But enough! It is time to let history tell its tale.

59 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 17, 2009 2:29:39 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hi guys!!

Im back! And yes...thank you all for not shooting the writer! So without any further ado let's begin! (Warning: Unlike my earlier story, in this one the action hots up from the word go.)

Game Settings

Habitable Planets: Abundant
Planets: Abundant
Galaxy Size: Gigantic
Stars: Abundant
Star Density: Scattered
Anomalies: Rare
Tech Rate: Normal

No minor races

My Empire: Terran Alliance

Opponents: Yor Collective (Gifted), Torian Confederation (Bright), Drengin Empire (Genius), Altairian Republic (Intelligent) & Arcean Empire (Intelligent)

Overall Difficulty: Crippling

Notes: As those who have read my previous story know there are some rules I have established for bringing a better context to this story. But just in case, here they are:

1> Calendar Mechanics:

For every week (turn) in the actual game universe I have replaced with a month in the story. So if it takes 4 weeks to build a ship in the game, in the story it will take 4 months. By this reckoning, every 3 months (12 weeks) in the actual game universe would correspond to a year (12 months) in the story and every game year would correspond to 4 years in the story. I have done this so as to provide for a slightly more realistic feel to the story...after all it seems a bit weird for a planet to build a full fledged Battleship in a span of 5-6 weeks!

2> Population:

As regards planetary population, I have taken every 1 point to represent 100 million. So if a planet has a population of 6 it means a population of 600 million, not 6 billion. When it comes to armies, this value is lowered even more. So if a Troop Transport has 1000 troops that means a total force of 1 million (earlier it would mean 1 billion). The premise being that the weapons and training of a smaller military force would be enough to defeat a much larger population of civilians who don’t have any training or weapons.

Note: For this story I am making a habit of putting up 2 posts every week (these first 2 count as one ). So next post coming up on Tuesday. I have got some 4 chapters written, but this time ill keep lots of time in hand, so I never run out of posts...atleast in the beginning!

October 17, 2009 1:25:33 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Looks interesting. I will be hanging on to see what happens.(I need something to read after The Last battlefield finished. )

BTW, I sell bulletproof vests if you want one. .

October 17, 2009 1:39:12 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

The Master returns!!!

Glad to have you back, and I can't wait for the story to really begin. Also, is the narrrator Draginol (sp?) ?

October 17, 2009 7:07:44 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I second the General.. Good to see you back Namus.Most excellent.

October 18, 2009 4:55:45 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting namekino,

BTW, I sell bulletproof vests if you want one. .

Thanx namekino. Do u by any chance have kevlar helmets? What with all these kids playing counter-strike and going for headshots!!

Quoting General Homsar,
The Master returns!!!

Glad to have you back, and I can't wait for the story to really begin. Also, is the narrrator Draginol (sp?) ?

Thanx guys! Also, no...this is "something" much older and much more mysterious. For after all...who created the galaxy...and Draginol?? There are many mysteries in the universe that even the precursors had not solved.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter in the game - its just to give an epic setting to the story.  After all what better way to spice up a story than give one the impression that Big Brother is watching!!

October 18, 2009 2:02:01 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I think I have some of those fancy kevlar thingies somewhere, but I'll need to check my stock.

Oh no! Not Big Brother! I don't wanna be...

How may I serve you Master?

October 19, 2009 10:26:02 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Welcome back Namus-your storytelling prowess has been missed and it is truly wonderful to see the return of one of this forums heavyweights

Onwards the Terrans!

October 20, 2009 1:28:03 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Tools of War

Stardate: 12.7.2239

Location: Local Space, Drendor V, Alliance Core World, the Hub

It was a thing of deadly beauty. The sleek grey lines of the Destroyer, with its twin sensor antennas at the sharp pointed nose, gave it an uncanny resemblance to a heavily armored wasp. The craft floated in space, next to the big orbital shipyard floating just beyond Drendor V’s atmosphere.

Suddenly…something happened. A barely detectable coded message was beamed from the communicator arrays of the shipyard. The twin Impulse II engines on the craft came alive in a halo of intense yellow fire. The ship shimmered as the gravitronic field grew in strength and then abruptly disappeared in a blinding yellow flash.

…..

Out in space, half a light year away from Drendor V, a heavily armoured probe continued on its way, unmindful of the devastation rapidly approaching it. As sudden as its entry into fold-space, the Destroyer re-appeared in normal space. Scanning the area, it detected the probe and locked onto it. Then it unleashed its payload, as a single large guided missile was fired from the launcher slung under its right wing.

In reply a series of mass driver rounds stabbed out from the probe, the lethal concentration of round metal shot out at incredible speed. As it approached the probe, the Destroyer went into a series of erratic maneuvers meant to confuse the probe’s defensive sensors. Miraculously, due to its speed and pre-programmed series of maneuvers, it had managed to avoid getting hit.

The probe started zigzagging itself in an attempt to throw off the missile’s targeting system…but it wasn’t as lucky. A bright flash lit space and all that remained of the unfortunate probe was a small pile of superheated debris.

……

The craft broke through the dusty brown atmosphere of Drendor II’s moon, a contrail of fire indicating that it had fired its other missile, this time from the launcher under the left wing. As fast as it had come, it turned hard on its wing and headed back to space, chased by a couple of missiles fired from AA-Batteries on the moon’s surface.

The missiles kept going until they reached the upper limit of the moon’s atmosphere, at which time their engines gave up and they exploded as the auto-destruction sequences were executed. Even as the craft headed out into space, orbital sensors picked up an explosion on the moon’s surface.

…….

Grand Admiral Graenor Bravura turned to his group of awestruck spectators and reported with a grin – “Enemy Radar Array System has been destroyed.”

As a series of claps started, the tallest of the spectators – a tall man in grey and black regalia (who was none other than the esteemed Alan Bradley, the President of the Terran Alliance) held up his hand.

“Impressive…Admiral! What more can you tell me of this Raptor?”

The Grand Admiral nodded and pressed a button on a nearby console. A hologram popped up, showing the rotating model of the craft, while a series of statistics appeared next to it.

The Raptor class Missile Destroyer

“Gentlemen, as you have seen for yourself, you are looking at one of the galaxy’s most advanced war vessels. 450 feet long, the Raptor, designated ASW X-1, is a Missile Destroyer, with excellent atmospheric maneuvering capabilities as well and crewed by a team of 20 personnel.  Although outgunned by its heavier Drengin & Yor counterparts, the Raptor’s two Impulse II engines give the destroyer a maximum speed of Warp 5, enough to outrun and outmaneuver most enemies, while the long wings allow it to function in even the most turbulent of atmospheres. But the real strength of the Raptor lies in its weapons systems. Consisting of two Cryo-Tech Harpoon II Mega Missile Launchers, one slung under each wing, this gives it significant firepower. The Raptor may not be able to take too many hits, but its high speed and formidable firepower should allow it to survive long enough to deal the killing blow.”

Although he looked visibly impressed, the President couldn’t help asking the next obvious question.

“So by when can we get a sufficient number of these ships Grand Admiral?”

The Grand Admiral looked a little deflated.

“At current production levels, we can produce on an average only one Raptor per month…that means 12 per year. These numbers will definitely go up as more factories and spaceports are built, although we still don’t have the ability to compete numerically with any of the other civilizations. Most of our numerous colonies have still not developed to the stage where they can start building these sophisticated warships. Of course, if we could get more funds diverted to the military and specially towards upgrading our spaceports and building up our industrial infrastructure…then we can maybe increase the number to more than 20 per year.”

At this point he looked hopefully at the Finance Minister, who in reply visibly hissed and grew even more rigid, if that was possible.

Recognizing the danger signs, Alan Bradley sighed and quickly interjected before an argument could break out.

“That is a discussion for another day. But Graenor, don’t depend on it. Try to increase the production rate any way you can. You know things are getting more…tense.”

The Grand Admiral nodded grimly. Of course, he knew about the Drengin Empire & Yor Collective’s apocalyptic message to the president. Although the President had refused to pay tribute and both the alien leaders had backed down, it was only a matter of time before hostilities began. And after 13 years of peaceful exploration and colonization, all 32 planets of the far flung Terran Alliance had no fleet to protect them from two of the galaxy’s most powerful and aggressive races. There was only a line of well armed military starbases guarding the borders.

Of course the Yor & Drengin were currently busy against the Torians, but reports had already reached the Alliance of a possible peace treaty being signed soon. The Alliance territories were surrounded by these 3 races, each of which had a large fleet of powerful warships at their disposal. According to the latest Intel reports from Allied Security Agency (ASA), the Yor had also recently been gifted an advanced warship by the Drengin. To make matters worse, both of the Alliance’s friends (the Altairians & Arceans) were located on the other side of the Yor Collective & Drengin Empire and their fleets were less powerful. Together they might stand a chance. But would they help if it came down to war? The very survival of the Terran Alliance seemed to depend on that question…

He said with more confidence than he felt. “We’ll be ready Sir!”

The President seemed older than usual. He tiredly clapped the military man on the back before turning to leave.

“I hope so…old friend. I pray you are right.”

The massive metal doors slid open and then closed.

A storm was gathering…

October 20, 2009 6:59:10 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hehehe-nice nice nice

what about the water loving Torians Namus-any chance of getting them on board? Just a suggestion

Go Terrans!

October 20, 2009 7:38:26 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Pretty good!

October 20, 2009 7:43:46 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

About the Torians, if they have to peace out to the drengin and Yor, then they probably can't overtly help.

October 21, 2009 4:06:46 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Thanx guys!

what about the water loving Torians Namus-any chance of getting them on board?

Exactly my sentiments mambaman! Unfortunately they are bent on having a neutral relationship with me. You see I have  a nice productive planet right in their border and ive build a nice influence starbase near it to prevent it from being flipped by the combined influence of the 2 Torian planets in the same system. Maybe thats an issue. 

Also, they managed to colonise 3 planets in my territoy, but they are isolated. Torian constructors have also built a resource starbase in my territory, snagging the last resource (not too worried as ive snagged 2 military & 1 morale resource). In other words we have VERY close borders!

Ive tried building better relations with them, but not too seriously. All my trade  freighters I send to Torian worlds. But I havent gifted them any technology or money yet...im too weak at this stage for that. And anyway, they have so far kept the Drenghin off my back...though immediately after they made peace with the Yor, the Yor declared war on me!

Lets see what happens...

Interesting thing..they have lost 15 ships to the Drengin & have destroyed 1 ship (a small scout ship), that also in my territory. Their fleet strength is 2nd overall although their ships are really weak (true torian style). My one Destroyer has more firepower than an entire squadron!

Also, despite the ship losses it seems that the Drengin have lost far more ground troops than the Torians! From when did the greenies become more than a match for the Drengin??  Go figure...

Next post coming up on Friday.

October 21, 2009 5:10:09 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

it's because the Torians are so pissed at them that they just decide to Kamikaze strike their planets .

October 22, 2009 5:18:40 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Excellent Namus-Terran ingenuity may yet prevail

Looking forward to your next post

October 23, 2009 4:06:23 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Stardate: 14.08.2239

Location: On the bridge of ASV Raptor, Local Space, Earth, Sol System

The Raptor

Captain Eddie Rogers walked about the small crowded deck impatiently, his nervous gait revealing the anxiety he felt. It had been only a few days that he had graduated from the newly set up Space Naval Academy, located in the massive Alliance starbase AS Freedom. Though primarily an economic starbase to cater to Alliance freighters on their way to and from the Torian worlds, the Freedom also had a huge advanced starbase factory in its structure, as well as a training center for Starfleet officers.

He still remembered the graduation ceremony.

----

This was it! After years of continuous study and simulations, he was finally going to join the Alliance Star Navy as an officer. Sure, the Navy still had no real warships commissioned yet, but many were under construction. Eddie had fallen in love with the Raptor from the first time he had seen it under construction in the Gaia Utopia shipyards in orbit of Earth and he couldn’t wait to command this sleek and deadly Destroyer.

He could see his mother sitting there proudly. She had tears in her eyes as she beheld her son standing on the podium dressed in the smart black dress of a Starfleet officer. He looked so much like his father – Frederik Rogers, the captain of the first Pioneer class Colony Ship. He had been a hero, helping the human colony on Alexis III survive the arachnid threat that had almost wiped out humanity’s dreams of spreading to the stars. The bugs had been beaten back…but the brave captain had not survived.

The band had stopped playing and Grand Admiral Graenor had risen up to give his speech when suddenly a messenger had appeared. He had gone up to the Admiral and both had conferred for a few seconds. Then he had looked up, apologized for his sudden departure and left, leaving everyone in a frenzy of surprise and apprehension.

As for Eddie...he somehow knew something bad had happened. His guess had been confirmed when he had received an urgent order to go and take command of the ASV Raptor, the Alliance’s first true warship.

-----

Now as he walked around the bridge he couldn’t help but marvel at his luck. True, his outstanding scores (especially in combat & tactic simulations) would have made him a natural choice, but it still felt like a dream.

But he was worried too. The Raptor had been made battle ready and was ready to proceed once her captain knew what the mission was. And the lack of knowledge was what was eating him up from within…

“Captain. Incoming transmission. It’s Grand Admiral Graenor sir!”

“On-Screen.”

The small view-screen lit up with the image of an older naval officer, one with whole rows of medals hanging from his lapel.

“Greetings Captain! Congratulation on your command.”

“Thank you Grand Admiral.”

“Now I am sure that you are dying to know what your mission is. Here’s the deal. As of 05:17 hrs a week back, sensors on the ASV Columbus, deep in Yor space, detected two large Collective troop transports heading on a course towards the newly set up Alliance colonies in the extreme west of the galactic rim – specially the recently colonized world of Bevora II.  It is estimated that each of these transports carries atleast a thousand battalions of Combat Drones, which is a total of more than a million Yor. If those transports reach the planet, it will be a massacre. Knowing Yor efficiency, they will most probably use only one transport for the invasion, so the other might proceed to a new target. And there may be more transports that we know nothing about. Even if it is just a training mission, we cannot take the chance.”

The bridge had gone totally silent. Eddie stood almost paralyzed in shock. This was even worse than he had suspected.

“That is why we had to rush production at the last stage and quickly get this ship commissioned. Unfortunately it is already too late for the Bevora system. Your mission, Captain, is to take the ASV Raptor and plot a course to the Sadoc system. That is the next system in line and there is already a Yor colony there. The two Alliance worlds there would thus logically be their next target. On reaching the Sadoc system, patrol the area and destroy all enemy ships. Hopefully by that time we will be able to send you additional destroyers as reinforcements. Best of luck! Make haste, for every hour counts.”

Little did the Grand Admiral know how right he was. For even as the Impulse engines flared to light and the ship entered hyperspace, with a very worried captain at her helm, it was already too late…

October 23, 2009 4:34:53 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

btw...

Can anyone tell me the name of a good Space Combat simulator where u get to fly capital ships (other than Battle Cruiser 4000 A.D., Independence War & Starfleet Command/Bridge Commander). Ive played lots of usual space sims like TIE Fighter, Wing Commander II, etc but I want to command my own capital class starship!! U know...bigger guns... 

October 23, 2009 6:29:34 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Impulse engines-hyperspace?  Is that not a contradiction in terms Namus

Good post tho

October 23, 2009 7:04:18 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Good point. But hyperspace & hyperdrive are different things. One is a physical effect while the other is a piece of technology. Here's the explanation:

Hyperspace is the rift in space..the tunnel if you prefer to call it, which the ship creates using its gravitronic generator to bend space and a photonic field to protect the ship from the energy fields in the rift, as well as give an accelerating effect (the full concept is explained in my previous story).

The first engine which used this concept was of course called Hyperdrive. Later models used the same concept of hyperspace, but the name of the engines changed depending on their energy source. The more the energy generated, the more the photons which could be created and thereby a more pronounced accelerating effect. But the basic concept remains the same...only the source of power changes and becomes more efficient...from fusion in Hyperdrives to impulse power fields in Impulse Drives...u get the idea!!

In short,

Hyperspace: The physical rift/tunnel in space used by starships to travel great distances. Also called Fold Space.

Hyperdrive: Name of the first engine which used this concept.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

October 23, 2009 7:28:43 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Can anyone tell me the name of a good Space Combat simulator where u get to fly capital ships (other than Battle Cruiser 4000 A.D., Independence War & Starfleet Command/Bridge Commander). Ive played lots of usual space sims like TIE Fighter, Wing Commander II, etc but I want to command my own capital class starship!! U know...bigger guns...

X3 Terran Conflict, but it takes a LONG time to get captial ships. Great sandbox game. If you want to command a capital ship immeditaly, try Starshatter: The Gathering Storm. Starshatter isn't the best game, but it's pretty good for an indie title.

October 24, 2009 10:06:15 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Lovely Namus-that has certainly cleared things up-will be using that description in my own stories if you are ok with that?

October 24, 2009 11:47:04 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Why thank you mambaman!! I...i...i would be honoured!!

General Etrius,

Mobile Uit 3219 extends his appendages in a very unrobotic expression of gratitude for refreshing his data banks with such prompt data!! Ive downloaded shatter..will play it in a few days!!

Next post coming up on Monday.

October 24, 2009 2:15:27 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Very good. This is starting to look interesting.

I assume you are at war with the yor collective already, or are the yor trying to sneak attack you?

P.S. if you aren't a draginol then you could only be 1 thing. God!

October 24, 2009 5:25:58 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

General Etrius,

Mobile Uit 3219 extends his appendages in a very unrobotic expression of gratitude for refreshing his data banks with such prompt data!! Ive downloaded shatter..will play it in a few days!!

Hope you enjoy it. You can command big ships in the custom missions right away, but you'll have to fly a fighter in the campaign first. You'll eventually get promoted to where you can command frigates, then destroyers, and eventually, the entire fleet.

October 26, 2009 2:06:37 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

It Begins....

Stardate: 11.1.2240

Location: System Space, Outskirts of Bevora System, Alliance Outer Rim

The massive Yor Collective Troop Transport materialized into real space with a bright soundless flash.

On board, the single control unit UTX-762361901 started analyzing the data.

“Phase-Out complete.

Internal system check complete. All systems report 100 % functionality.

Activating sensors. Initiating multi-scan survey of system. Target planet located. Scans detect no defence crafts in vicinity. Initiating Assimilation process. Trajectory calculated and course plotted. Thrusters at full.

Mass Unit Activation initiated.”

All over the ship hundreds of thousands of Yor Battle Drones activated and stepped from their charger units on the walls. After performing a quick system scan, they turned and started heading to the gigantic hangar bay, where their Drop Ships waited. Hundreds of Yor Fighter Drones activated their hover thrusters and headed towards the planetary surface to provide the first wave of air suppression and reconnaissance. Massive XID-715 Mega-Drones armed with huge 150 mm Plasma Cannons and 25mm Rapid Plasma Guns glided to their special Command Ships.

As one, with unearthly precision, the Yor Invasion had started…

-------

When you are 10 years old, one of the most important and dreaded things in life is school. So, it was just another day for young Bernie Weber, as he exited the school tram.

Fifteen minutes later, ensconced in an uncomfortable chair, the young man soon resigned himself to another mind-numbing lecture by the no-humour deathly serious professor Griffin. The subject – Ancient Earth History, specifically the effects of pollution on nations in the 20th Century.

As the professor droned on about something called the Green Peace movement, Bernie’s mind began to wander.

He began to think of the Precursors and their technology. Bernie was a science buff and a veritable genius. Ever since the age of six, since the time of the famous movie Revenge of the Precursors, he had been fascinated with that mythical civilization. Their sudden unexplained disappearance, the marvelous and mysterious technological artifacts and ruins that they had left behind…all fascinated the young man. He intended one day to become a researcher in the famous Orion science lab on Hestia I, which was said to have been built on the ruins of a Precursor library. With the huge demand for scientists that the Alliance currently had, he didn’t think it would be very difficult to achieve his dream. But it was still a very long time away and even at his young age, he knew it would take a lot of effort and patience. But Bernie Weber was a patient person…

He was suddenly brought back to his senses by the rumbling sound of explosions and screams from outside. As he stood up and rushed outside, it seemed that everyone had had the same idea. He looked up and froze. The sky was dark with an assortment of menacing looking craft, obviously alien in design. They were so many they blocked out the sun. They were firing with deadly efficiency and huge explosions shook the ground. A group of aircrafts that Bernie recognized as Alliance atmospheric fighters appeared and launched volleys of missiles. A few of the alien crafts were destroyed but their return fire wiped out the human fighters. Then a red beam suddenly impacted with their school building.

Fire. Smoke…a lot of smoke. Gingerly Bernie tried to raise his head from the ground, where he had been thrown by the force of the explosion. Where his school once stood there was nothing but smoldering rubble. His head and his whole body hurt. Trying desperately to keep consciousness he looked up again, this time to see one of the crafts landing. A ramp extended and several fearsome machines came out blasting everything in their sight. He saw several of his surviving colleagues and even a small squad of Home Defence Guards cut into pieces by the deadly beams. Then a huge explosion took place and a few of the Battle Drones were reduced to a pile of slag. Cheers erupted as a Guardian tank came into view, its 80 mm gun smoking. The tank rumbled forward a few paces and then practically disintegrated as a powerful beam cut into it. The ground shook hard as a large and terrifying machine appeared from behind a ruined building. More than 20 feet high, this leviathan was bristling with a massive beam gun and several smaller weapon turrets. It opened fire, causing huge amounts of destruction. Then, merciful darkness…

October 26, 2009 4:07:59 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Wow... I love how you described the invasion seen from the eyes of a child...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001156   Page Render Time: