Underdog Question

By on May 5, 2009 3:44:34 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

SaintMina

Join Date 07/2007
+20

I have couple of things to say but please do not take any of this the wrong way. Thank You. I want more new ideas and more new sparks of life posted here. Just think about it from a underdog shoes.

First thing I have notice that there is alot of game score being posted and alot of them are around million points from only two empires Kzinti and ToE. There are no other active empires but my empire (Edit: and Gerontocrats). I have to say I am sad because I am 9th rank and I did not earn it. The Geckodon Alliance is gone! Seth deleted his empire and left Galciv2 so he says. I ask him why? but he never answered my question. Do you know why? Did he fully join the ToE? Did he give up or get bored because he could not keep up with the scores? At any rate I will never quite playing! I am here to stay even if I become just a third place empire.

Second thing I have notice is that PUB is 6th rank but it is not an empire. What is up with that? It seems to me why would Kzinti and ToE make place where share ideas but it is a good idea on their part? Do some people have characters in both Kzinti and ToE? Maybe I am wrong but I think Kzinti and ToE have almost the same write up for Million Point Games and ZYW Games because of this. I know that every body has been hard working on Million Point Games then the PUB was made and now it is boom of million point scores being submitted because it has been perfected. Have you notice any of this? I am sure you have. You check the scores and see how I am doing and every body else like a scout or recon. You saw my character Draco work so hard in submitting alot of games to only get bumped by a person submitted one game. Where does this all go? I saw  a new empire die before it even got started.

Here is something I am going to try to keep up with you all and it will likely fail because know one cares or get pick apart by everybody for even asking such a underdog question? I am even willing to earn it too and I would even take old detailed write ups too. I am after game scores around 500,000 points. I also promise not to tell anyone, who gave it to me but I will give you full credit for it. This is top sercet.

May I have some type of write up for both Million Point and ZYW games, please?

Locked Post 89 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 5, 2009 4:03:47 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Here's an idea...  play for personal best.

Or, if you feel you must compete, find where you fit into in the rankings and compete in that relm, it may be around the top 100 or maybe around the 800th ranked. Either way just play for fun and see where you can go. If you ruin the enjoyment for yourself by just trying to complete as many game as fast as you can you may as well just stop playing. Others enjoy the idea of finding new ways to score higher, that doesn't mean you have to.

I admit that the ZYW's made things frustrating for those of us that only have some casual time to play. And those that can get a couple of full million point games done in no time make it impossible to get the top rankings. But thats the way they play which is different from how I play.

I could click longer for higher point games but I don't want to. My scores suffer but so be it.  Just have fun playing the game already.

May 5, 2009 5:57:28 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

First, there are at least a few of us Gerontocrats still puttering along with our own pace of finishing games, and damn all you kids for wanting fresh scores, like, *now*.

Second, it seems like you mean the Twilight Pub when you say "PUB." They are #6 on the official MV right now, and their empire page is here. They're a very small empire, but apparently scrappy players and willing to type on the forums a bit.

Third, I'm beginning to wonder if we don't need a season of Fiercely Mocking the scoremonsters. Yes, they deserve their own right to play the game how they want. But really, are all those large numbers all that impressive? Isn't it possible that they might say more about a player's obssessive tendencies than they do about his or her intellect, character, or general merits as a dinner-table companion? I've learned a lot about how the game works from folks I'd fondly call scoremonsters, and I've learned much about how the game works since I started paying attention to scores, but I don't think I'd mind if GalCiv3 had no scoring system at all.

May 5, 2009 11:20:01 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I'm beginning to wonder if we don't need a season of Fiercely Mocking the scoremonsters

@GW Swicord, What do you mean? I am not trying to start a Flame War because I would get picked apart by the best and you know who you are. Yes I have learned alot from "scoremonsters" too.            I am sorry, I was referring to the top 25 characters, that is ToE has 7 and Kziniti has 12 and the other empires have 5 and I have 1.

@CaptainYar, Thank you for your comment and you have set the tone and the mood for this thread. Yes, I do play for fun and enjoy finding different ways to play but now I need new ideas.

May 6, 2009 1:47:04 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

The ToE and the Kzinti share nothing. The PUB just happens to be an empire whare a Kzin and a Tyrannt happen to hang out.

There are folks with Multi empire memberships, but those folks have always and still do keep both sides of the coin seperate from each other.

If you wanted to search you would find all the infomation needed to garner a 1M game right here on the forums. Everyone has their own certain tips and tricks but the basic methos to achieving those scores is here to be found.

I can't speak for the Kzin, but i know how much work has been placed into tweaking each and every strategy in the ToE (and there are many ways to skin a cat too remember) and to just frely give that info out to those who do not represent or contribute to our own empire and it's community would be a slap in the face to all those hard workers.

As one fo the ZYW originators and the Emperor of the ToE i can say with all respect that, no, you may not just have the key to pandora's box. You may have more joy jumping on the golden wagon i suspect.

Both myself and my fellow empire members have worked to hard to achive our standing in the MV with so little membership number to just freely give away all that we and those that have come before us have strived to achieve. We freely share our idea's and stragies to those whoi commit themselves to us and work to promote and further the ToE cause.

I would imagine KP would feel the same when i say, Join an empire, commit to and contribute to it and then doors may be opened for you.

It took me over 2 years of playing before i could score these ultra high scores and many hundreds of ZYW's to knock the old guard off the top of the MV.

Work hard to get there yourself.

If you feel the need tp prove something then work at it, don't ask for handouts.

Why not try and achieve something yet done, instead of standing on the shoulders of others.

May 6, 2009 3:42:38 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

As one fo the ZYW originators and the Emperor of the ToE i can say with all respect that, no, you may not just have the key to pandora's box. You may have more joy jumping on the golden wagon i suspect.

to just frely give that info out to those who do not represent or contribute to our own empire and it's community would be a slap in the face to all those hard workers.

@ Neilo, nice reply and that is what I want to hear. I do understand where you coming from. Thank you for clearing it up about the PUB.

Work hard to get there yourself.

If you feel the need tp prove something then work at it, don't ask for handouts.

I do want to work and earn my rank but when an empire just ups and for no reason yet to be heard, delete itself  I feel a hallow victory because it was given to me and that is why I am asking all these questions and wanting good replies like yours. 

May 6, 2009 8:45:03 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Thank you for clearing it up about the PUB.

I offer no info about the Pub, so don't take my comments as clearing anything up. I knowCL and SNark are in it, that is all.

Seth owes no-one an explanation as to his motives, geez, most folks just never return, no post leving comments or anything.

Why you feel there must be a reason i am not sure. Seth's leaving is your gain.

May 6, 2009 10:08:52 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

GmOOnii, I most certainly wasn't trying to start a flame-anything.

Jovial mockery (taunting) has a long tradition in MV circles. I was just suggesting that maybe a small gang of us little people might spend a bit more time mocking the ZYWs and Million Point Monstrosities instead of the old school empire cross-talk.

May 6, 2009 12:04:35 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Why you feel there must be a reason i am not sure. Seth's leaving is your gain.

@Neilo, because I didn't want him to leave at all. No, it is not my gain, it is a loss and never will be my gain for any empire to just delete themseves with no reason but I am learning why now.

@GW Swicord,  I didn't know because I am still new at taunting and terminology.

May 6, 2009 2:16:26 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting GW Swicord,
GmOOnii, I most certainly wasn't trying to start a flame-anything.

Jovial mockery (taunting) has a long tradition in MV circles. I was just suggesting that maybe a small gang of us little people might spend a bit more time mocking the ZYWs and Million Point Monstrosities instead of the old school empire cross-talk.

*sniffs air, follows the scent here*

Did I hear someone mention taunting? By all means, bring it on! You know where to find me.

May 6, 2009 2:23:07 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

GW, go ahead and taunt me, I can laugh at myself along with the best of them! The MV has been pretty dead, so some good-natured taunting would be welcome.

May 6, 2009 2:27:37 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I intended to invite good-natured taunting as well. I only get my tail fluffed in those "piracy is good" threads.

@GmOOnii: Scoring just takes practice and developing a "feel" for the game. If your goal is to climb the ladder, you may want to consider recruiting some players. Three characters can only go so far, even with big scores. You could even encourage some of your friends to buy the game and join up with you. The more people we can get in the Metaverse, the better off we will all be.

May 6, 2009 4:56:32 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

My Empire is unique, it has one scorer amongst the many trying to join in; but, since i refuse access to the X-Worlds or CoSH mods to anyone else but myself -- Metaverse or AltMeta or MMV are either compatible or serve their own purposes -- i cannot rank my performance against the bazillions of better results by plenty.

See, it's a matter of perspective and objective -- personal or community wise.

You wanna to BE the best, you need a point a reference.

Taunting is a notch into the greater scheme of things, as far as gameplay (or people's personality) is concerned.

Lemme give you a simple example;

I always considered myself a superbly efficient Galaga_Quarters_Dumping_Undefeatable_Champion_of_all_Arcades of the immediate or abroad neighborhood.

One day, i step in for my regular (almost mystical) saturday afternoon game to score better.

Somebody is already playing at that "console" - 20 minutes later, once the kid was done - guess what the final score was. Waaaayyyy too much for my *current* skills. I went to the MsPacman overthere, and realized i've got some work (funny how that sounds, isn't it?) to do.

Records are meant to be broken, Guinness World book - read it.

Bolt proved it.

Heck, even Neilo's ZYW track & field patterns are obvious.

Take pride in what you've achieved and let time do its tricks.

If you Know the Game, anything is possible!

May 6, 2009 5:13:21 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting ,
   I saw  a new empire die before it even got started.

If you are reffering to the Geckodon Alliance then you're wrong. The Geckodon Alliance had lasted for over a year.

May 6, 2009 6:14:12 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

GmOOnii, why do you need another ZYW strategy? You already convinced KP to give you a generous portion of his own strategy, and I've seen you post 100K+ scores off of it. You already have something that isn't yours, why do you need more?

Also, and this is from my personal viewpoint, but I highly doubt that you could keep any of these strategies a secret once you got your hands on them. Which you won't. You've already privately proven to me just where your loyalties lie, and knowing what I know, I would strongly discourage any MV empires from giving out their secrets. Which they won't anyway.

All of the great players/empires in the MV have started with nothing, and have worked to create their own unique strategies and scoring-methods. They all earned the scores that they post. You have not earned the right to benefit from their work. Make your own strategies, and be proud of them.

Really, there isn't much I can say that Neilo didn't already mention in his previous post. I may be in the ToE, but that doesn't change the fact that I totally agree with everything he mentioned above. I'm not trying to tear you down or anything, it is just not the first time that I've seen someone ask for the key to the MV, and it probably won't be the last.

May 6, 2009 7:16:47 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

most of the great players got to their peaks by either investing large amounts of attention and scrutiny into the game and refining their play for optimized score output, or learning the strategies those few players developed. most of that learning has indeed taken place inside empires, not because empires horde the most useful secrets, but because we offer greater assistance to our members in organizing and implementing those strategies.

the two strongest empires you concern yourself with got to be where they are, not by virtue of sharing and hording secrets, though i'm sure the kzinti maintain a few proprietary refinements the way the ToE does; our empires got to the points they're at by virtue of their leadership. KP's openess and unwaivering sense of diplomacy makes the kzinti an attractive place to many casual GC2ers. neilo, on the other hand, manages to foster a sense of jocular liveliness and camaraderie among of group who've become good friends: that friendship i think reinforced our willingness to invest lots of time and effort back into the group, in the form of very high scoring games.

May 6, 2009 10:02:13 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

So, in fact dysto... you're saying Empires plot against each other's to draw the most promising potential in as many ways as possible?

Next round tournament please; leader X faces leader Y in a match up (multiplayer style) where scoring doesn't count but rather who Won & Lost, once. GC3, upcoming in a fullscale TBS simulation near you.

May 7, 2009 12:12:23 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting GW Swicord,
need a season of Fiercely Mocking the scoremonsters. I don't think I'd mind if GalCiv3 had no scoring system at all.

i am no diplomat.  but i do make an effort to be open and honest.  let the good natured taunting begin.

your mocking of "scoremonsters" is nothing new.  the "scorewhores" may be obsessive idiots devoid of character and having the table manners of a disheveled pig interested only in discussing MV scores at a dinner party.  however, i have never read of them scorning someone for posting a low score.

you wouldn't mind if there is no scoring system?  no Metaverse?  then why do you participate?

my remarks are not meant to flame any more than yours to Saint Mina.

May 7, 2009 12:48:33 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Zyxpsilon,
So, in fact dysto... you're saying Empires plot against each other's to draw the most promising potential in as many ways as possible?

Next round tournament please; leader X faces leader Y in a match up (multiplayer style) where scoring doesn't count but rather who Won & Lost, once. GC3, upcoming in a fullscale TBS simulation near you.

yeah sure, that.

May 7, 2009 1:38:04 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

If your goal is to climb the ladder, you may want to consider recruiting some players. Three characters can only go so far, even with big scores. You could even encourage some of your friends to buy the game and join up with you. The more people we can get in the Metaverse, the better off we will all be.

@Snark, you are so right!

If you are reffering to the Geckodon Alliance then you're wrong. The Geckodon Alliance had lasted for over a year.

@Seth, I was not talking about your empire and was talking about The Zegarion Republic.

@Dystopic, Because I have nobody in my empire (expect one person, got me who it is) so my learnings have to come from myself and people who give me advice and special tips in running my empire and how to play like you do.

May 7, 2009 8:57:25 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I just play this game because I:

1. Enjoy it

2. Get a nice bit of satisfaction when the AI takes me by suprise, and in a fit of rage build the biggest, ship I can, with the most superfluous number of extra components, and label it with names that would make my own mother cringe.

Posting to the metaverse is a bonus when I do it because I can have a long term tracking of my scores, even though I just cleared them to normalise things. I swear tough on Twilight is much more harder than Tough in Dark Avatar, though playing as the Arceans constantly might be affecting that too.

May 7, 2009 10:00:28 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting jacklv,
... you wouldn't mind if there is no scoring system?  no Metaverse?  then why do you participate? ...

Short answer: Mumblefratz tricked me into it

More answery answer: I started playing MV games when the old Metaverse Council recruited me to represent oddball/unaligned players. It made me unable to completely ignore scores as I had happily done up to that time. Eventually, the venerable ghostwes founded the Gerontocracy and I had an empire to call home at last. But I still have moments where I feel like score-thinking has done some 'the Tooth Fairy is your mom' thing to my playtime.

p.s. For me, "scoremonster" is mostly an endearment. Cookie Monster and Oscar the Grouch were major figures in my earlies years, back when Muppets were Muppets and Jim Henson was just a regular guy working in public TV for kids.

May 7, 2009 12:04:13 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting GmOOnii,
@Dystopic, Because I have nobody in my empire (expect one person, got me who it is) so my learnings have to come from myself and people who give me advice and special tips in running my empire and how to play like you do.

as i said, empires become great because of strong leadership.

May 7, 2009 12:34:40 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

@Strato84, I enjoy playing too and I like Cake with icecream too.   

@GW Swicord, You said Mumblefratz and two more times ( oppps one more time) saying his name and he will appear with a nice little post on how to taunt and get new empires started.   You gotta find us a picture of a scoremonster. I wonder if looks like Cookie Monster?

May 7, 2009 3:31:54 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

You gotta find us a picture of a scoremonster.

He plays for the Washington capitals... but has a loooong way to go before he even gets near Wayne Gretzky's records.

And yet, that site has many more -- pictures.

May 7, 2009 4:00:27 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I agree, mock away...  Being something of a scoremonger, I think it does take something of an obsessive outlook to spend hundreds of thousands of clicks after you could already have won the game, to keep playing and score higher.  Obviously if there wasnt some sort of satisfaction gained we wouldnt do it.  So everyone can enjoy this awesome game however they would like, which logically should keep everyone reasonably happy.  Play the game as it best suits you and enjoy!   Remember that today's scoremongers stand on the shoulders of giants, as the saying goes.

And Cypher is right in that today's great empires once started from nothing.  Those of us who participate in them have worked long and hard to get them to where they are today.  Lots of time, energy, and yes a certain amount of obsession perhaps.

Kzinti empire2.JPG Sentient species taste better...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001407   Page Render Time: