Twilight Imperium boardgame

By on October 30, 2008 11:50:16 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

dthif1980

Join Date 07/2006

Hi,

I'm planning on buying this boardgame really soon. I've had it in my mind for quite some time and I'm decided now

I'm currently reading the rules on their website, and I'm starting to see some similarity between this and GalCiv2. Anyway, any of you have tried this board game? Is it good? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Locked Post 37 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 31, 2008 10:55:45 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

i've played aobut 5 or so games.

i've got beaten every time but still enjoyed it.

you really need to a have a good gaming crew, all who have read the rules before hand. the quickest game we had was 6 hours and that was with using streamlined start up and pre-picked victory point conditions.

check boardgamegeeks for more views.

and deffinately get shattered suns (?) expansion, makes things a lot smoother.

i actually played galciv2 after TE and was kinda glad to get my kick without all the waiting. though if you have a good crew who like to role-play then it's loads of fun.

MrL

p.s. there's also a PbEM section on the forums, so maybe worth getting a game in there first.

October 31, 2008 4:53:52 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I own both the main game and the Shattered Empire expansion.  It's a ton of fun, although it takes a long time to set up and play.  I definitely recommend it, though! 

October 31, 2008 11:35:38 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

thanks for the replies guys. I know that kind of games take forever to setup. I own Axis&Allies and The War of the Ring. We generally are 3 to play together, so playing Axis or WotR is not the best because it's always 2 against 1. That's why I'm looking at Twilight Imperium... because this game is free-for-all right?

Thanks again.

November 1, 2008 11:31:41 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hi Guys,

that post just got me interested. I've never heard about that game. I've just read a couple of reviews and looked at some screenshots. To cut a long story short, I just ordered it online. I love the internet

November 1, 2008 5:10:34 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting dthif1980,
That's why I'm looking at Twilight Imperium... because this game is free-for-all right?

Yes, it certainly is.    Of course, there's nothing to stop players from wheeling & dealing, and then backstabbing each other at an oppportune moment....   

One word of warning, however:  I don't remember if they're in the original game or Shattered Empire, but I *strongly* recommend that people avoid playing as the Clan of Saar.  They're at a pretty noticeable disadvantage compared to the other races, as their most significant ability (their Space Docks can move around) doesn't work as intended.

November 2, 2008 8:58:06 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

great then !

well, I'll buy it, thanks again all for your time and informations!

November 6, 2008 4:32:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting dthif1980,
thanks for the replies guys. I know that kind of games take forever to setup. I own Axis&Allies and The War of the Ring. We generally are 3 to play together, so playing Axis or WotR is not the best because it's always 2 against 1. That's why I'm looking at Twilight Imperium... because this game is free-for-all right?

Thanks again.

It certainly is not a good game with only 3 players.

Don't misunderstand me : the game is a total blast. The game is really different when you're 5 or 6 players. there's even rules for 8 players!!!

Oh, and the Age of Empire option is just a must-have.

November 9, 2008 11:56:10 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

yeah, the problem I have is that we are only three to love those games. I have other friends that like this also, but they live 2h from us, so it's hard.

You mean, Age of Empire the game?

November 9, 2008 12:06:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nope. In TI3 there's an option called "Age of Empire" : Every victory condition is seen from the strat. but you can't succeed in a stage 2 victory condition until the turn 4.

TI3 is a VERY rewarding game when played with enough people. Did I say very rewarding? No, it's even more than that. You just don't see time passing. You're always playing, even with 6 players you don't really wait for your turn, there's always something to do. And I played with people who were living 2H from me Several times. That game can be addictive

Almost forgot !! The expansion : shattered empires is just a must-have. You absolutely need it : the game is well balanced.

November 9, 2008 5:22:37 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

hum ok... so if "usually" we are only 3 people playing, should we buy it? Maybe there's a better war game out there for 3 people (free-for-all)?

November 9, 2008 7:01:55 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Fantastic board game. My buddies and I have played it a number of times. I would strongly reccommend using some of the house rules for it that I believe are available on the Fantasy Flight Games boards. In particular I would advise using the ones that enable "threaded" turns as well as some of the ones that modify victory conditions and the Imperial strategy card. The "Age of Empire" one mentioned in a previous reply is also a good one to use. They greatly improve the game's quality.

November 10, 2008 8:15:48 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

anybody out there that played 3 player games of TI? I would like to know if it's fun or if it's definitly a 5-6 player game.

Thanks!

November 10, 2008 9:35:11 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hi,

I've played TI with just 3 players and didn't like it too much. But then again I've never been too fond of the game even with more players. It's a game I'd love to like, but it encourages turtling too much to my taste.

That said, Fantasy Flight Games published Starcraft the Boardgame with very similar mechanics. It plays in a very similar way to TI except that there's less non-war stuff and fighting is more fun. Attackers get all sorts of little bonuses and turtling is not as effective as in TI. Most of my gaming group likes Starcraft a lot more and we never play TI anymore.

November 10, 2008 7:44:11 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Ive only played Starcraft a few times and would agree that it is definatly a better choice for only three players. However, it has an odd system where moves go on stacks...its kind of difficult to explain, you may want to take a look at the manual and see if it appeals to you.

November 15, 2008 3:12:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you reall can't have more than 3 players then you should avoid that game because it will lack a political aspect.

November 17, 2008 3:56:33 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Unfortunately, vieuxchat has a point.  If you don't have at least 4 players (and even that's pushing it, as 6 is much closer to ideal), then you're not going to get the full experience of playing TI like you should. 

November 17, 2008 4:35:42 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I've read some of the rules, looked at all the pieces, and played one turn, but just could find the time to actually play a game. It was during SINS development of course   Looks very interesting and a great presentation. 

November 17, 2008 11:20:29 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I posted on boardgamegeeks.com and got a lot of answers telling me that the game is a incredible at 3 players, and a BLAST with more. Just like poker I think... It's fun with 3 people, it's awesome with 6-10 people.

Also, the seller (gamer) where we bought the game (specialized store) had StarCraft and TI to sell, StarCraft being more expansive. We talked a lot with him and decided to go with TI because that's our game style.

I finished reading the rules yesterday and I CAN'T WAIT to play. With the Option Rules (sabotage, heroes, Age of Empire, distant suns...) it's like having a board game mixing Star Wars Rebellion (PC game) and GalCiv2... oh, those are my 2 favorite PC strategy games!

So we decided to go with TI, and try to get more gamers if possible. With this kind of game, I'm sure it won't be difficult.

Thanks to all for recommandations.

November 17, 2008 11:28:21 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

oh, I do have one question about the rules. I know, I should probably start a thread at Fantasy Flight Games, but it's already started here

For Command Counters, how do you get some each turn and when? I understand from the rules that it's coming from you Planets Influence, but I'm not sure when to collect. I don't recall the name of it, but is it during the last Phase of a round where you reactivate (unexhaust) your planets?

Keep in mind that I haven't played a game so far, I just finished reading the rules for the first time.

Thanks!!

November 17, 2008 12:23:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You get CC (command counters) in two ways :

With the leadership card (the primary gives you some and the secondary let you buy some with influence)

Or at the status phase where you get 2 of them (or 3 if you have the good tech, or 4 if you have the good tech AND you are the sol )

you can't buy CC with influence at the status phase !! It's only when the leadership card is played. And remmeber you can't buy more than 3 CC that way.

So, hell yes, CC are just what you need to do.. anything. So it's a valuable good. Very very valuable. you really need to carefully plan how you use them.

November 17, 2008 12:48:02 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Ok thanks for the clarification! I wanted to go over the rules a second time before my first game, but with your explanations, I'll take a closer look when I read.

Hey vieuxchat, with the nickname you have, I presume you speak french? Where are you from?

November 17, 2008 12:59:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm from Antony, near Paris.

You should know one thing about TI3 : if your first game is with beginners it'll be a "learning" game Rules aren't hard, they're very logical, but there's plenty of exceptions and things to remember.

November 18, 2008 12:56:16 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

ah ok, I thought you could be from QC.

Yeah I know about the learning game... My 2 other friends will read the rules also before, that should help a little. And yes, actually, it's quite simple and I was surprised of that. I own War of the Ring and I found it much more complicated, especially when you play 2-3 games in a row (holidays) and wait 1 year to play it again hehe.

Karma +1 for everybody who answered my original post!

December 2, 2008 8:54:37 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hey,

We played our first game, the introductionary one, on saturday night. We all had read the rules so it went pretty smoothly actually. A 3 player game that we really enjoyed.

The next day, we played a 6 player game with 4 experienced gamers (we found those guys in our co-workers!) and it was a blast. Really an amazing game. I just wanted to recommend this game to anybody reading this thread. Go get it for Christmas, you won't regret it!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000828   Page Render Time: