Galactic Civilizations II: v2.0 is coming...

A massive FREE update

By on September 17, 2008 11:49:12 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums External Link

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1077

imageStardock has been busy this summer enhancing Galactic Civilizations II with lots of new features. Most of those features will be for players who have purchased Twilight of the Arnor. But Dark Avatar users will also see a revamped espionage system as well.

We've put together an on-going preview of GalCiv II v2.0 at the link below: Check it out!

http://forums.galciv2.com/324858

Galactic Civilizations II v2.0 is scheduled to go into beta this month with general availability next month.

35 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 17, 2008 2:23:06 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

OMG i really like the extreme envirement option, i've been waiting/wanting that for a while now.

Its to bad galciv II has to come to an end, but we all knew that day would come at some point. Its been a really good experience playing galciv II + all its expansions. I think its one of the deepest and best games i've ever played.

Can't wait for galciv III

mystic

September 17, 2008 2:23:26 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

my god look at my smiley, it looks stoned to me

September 17, 2008 3:08:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Will DL get any 2.0 updates (performance, graphics...)?

September 17, 2008 3:28:32 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Will DL get any 2.0 updates (performance, graphics...)?

If I've read the related threads correctly, no. DA will get an espionage update (and mabye the SB Manager?), but most of the work is focused on TA and back-porting to DL would have cost lots of dev time (fewer total new things in the release).

September 17, 2008 8:20:49 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

This sounds fun!  I want to get playing again, but I want to wait for all the cool new stuff.

September 17, 2008 8:42:11 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Any chance the ground invasion screen will be getting revamped or overhauled? 

Looking forward to seeing v 2.0 in action

September 17, 2008 9:08:29 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I hate to mention things like this, but I haven't seen any info on it.  Will this update include bug fixes for the current ToA game as well?  For instance, some civilizations will not build a military at any difficulty level.  This is quite a big problem, for instance any game I have had with Terrans in it they have been free worlds for the first one to invade them.

September 18, 2008 9:40:42 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

What is that tech brokering tab?  I never knew you could trade techs that you have not rescearched.

The special planets adjuster looks awesome, and the new shipyard from the menu screen will be great.  My 8 yr old will love it.  Now I have to keep old game saves from late game play so he can build ships.

September 18, 2008 10:09:20 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

For crying out loud wheres the info on the espionage? This update is suppose to be focused on espionage and all we get is tech brokering? Listen folks and I'm speaking for most GALCIVII players, we will stop playing this game sooner or later if we don't get a good espionage system, I certainly haven't playes this game ever since I first heard of 2.0 that was going to make a huge change to espionage. I think folks here are being too nice! This 2.0 update should give us a totally revamped espionage system that should be as strong as military victory. Because lets face it, you win this game by military. Espionage system should be at least up there? Folks, espionage it's what is going to save this game !

September 19, 2008 1:39:28 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting serptico,
For crying out loud wheres the info on the espionage? This update is suppose to be focused on espionage and all we get is tech brokering? Listen folks and I'm speaking for most GALCIVII players, we will stop playing this game sooner or later if we don't get a good espionage system, I certainly haven't playes this game ever since I first heard of 2.0 that was going to make a huge change to espionage. I think folks here are being too nice! This 2.0 update should give us a totally revamped espionage system that should be as strong as military victory. Because lets face it, you win this game by military. Espionage system should be at least up there? Folks, espionage it's what is going to save this game !

Are you a troll, or just fucking stupid? This is part 1 of the preview. And besides, they've only mentioned the revamped espionage will be in it like a thousand times. Congratulations to Stardock for having the patience to still make these awesome updates even when you have dipshits like this throw it in your face.

September 19, 2008 1:46:39 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting serptico,

I take it you didn't read the part of the article that said this is just a sampling of the update and that there is more to follow?

September 20, 2008 4:37:09 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I know, but no time to be nice folks. Eventually this game will feel repetitive and most people have already stopped playing and waiting for GALCIVIII. If I were them I would just give all the details at once instead of "part 1,2,3,4,5 etc... I'm expecting alot from the esionage system, afterall this update was suppose to be focused on major espionage tweaks and new features added to espionage? I was never interested in part 1 lol .... It's becoming hard for me to be continuing to play this game with always wining by military. At the end of each game, thats what it boils down too, at least with a strong espionage system it would add diversity to the game? So I can start playing again. And Cored, don't call me troll or stupid or expect to be treated the same way.

September 20, 2008 10:03:05 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Whine Whine Whine bitch bitch bitch.

Each of the threads they gave had quite a few details about specific parts of the game, from which, which my twelth level intelligence, I deduce that they were separated so people could get details on the parts that they were most closely interested rather than either have a massive four page fp, or an announcement that gave so very little detailed info that people didn't have enough info to even ask relevant questions.

"no time to be nice"

Oh, Get over yourself and catch up on the threads you're interested in.

Jonnan

September 23, 2008 10:59:54 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

This 2.0 update should give us a totally revamped espionage system that should be as strong as military victory. Because lets face it, you win this game by military. Espionage system should be at least up there? Folks, espionage it's what is going to save this game !

You're probably setting yourself up for disappointment there. At no time have the developers suggested or intimated that espionage will become a method for directly winning the game. Espionage will likely be something you can defend against, and letting people have espionage access to your planets can be damaging, but it's not going to be anywhere nearly as strong as using actual military units.

September 26, 2008 7:48:26 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Would it be possible to add sliders to the game setup that allow ship navigation range to be adjusted? 

Is the AI tweaked for specific range values, or does the AI evaluate the range technology available before setting a strategy? 

Would it also be possible to add navigable worm holes? 

scintilion

September 26, 2008 11:20:50 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Stardock has been busy this summer enhancing Galactic Civilizations II with lots of new features. Most of those features will be for players who have purchased Twilight of the Arnor. But Dark Avatar users will also see a revamped espionage system as well.

This quote has the word "revamped" espionage system by stardock and yet I hear there going to go back and give us the option to use the previous espionage system vs the one there is today? I'm sorry but this isnt a "revamped" espionage system its the old systems coming back.?????

September 27, 2008 10:10:53 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

yet I hear there going to go back and give us the option to use the previous espionage system vs the one there is today?

You heard wrong or misunderstood. The new thing appears to be a way to use spy units to achieve passive intelligence gathering. That is not at all the same as DL, which just had the slider you could set and ignore. The end result, as I understand it, will be a fusion of the two modes, not an either/or. It is still based on spy units, but now there's a new "empire-wide" assignment slot that will increase your intel level against a civ without harming them.

Alas, I'm getting a bit of "careful what you wish for" with this b/c, so far, there appears to be no way to *defend* against passive intel, which I would have liked to be able to do. I think I'll end up liking the 2.0 system, but I'm still hoping their might be dev time & interest in adding a global defense function.

September 27, 2008 1:42:24 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting GW Swicord,

The new thing appears to be a way to use spy units to achieve passive intelligence gathering. That is not at all the same as DL, which just had the slider you could set and ignore. The end result, as I understand it, will be a fusion of the two modes, not an either/or. It is still based on spy units, but now there's a new "empire-wide" assignment slot that will increase your intel level against a civ without harming them.

Wait a minute, whether you use a slider or place units the concept remains the same on gathering intel? Fine, your using both at the same time by placing spy units on planets and some on the passive slots but the concepts are nothing new? Is there anyone that can tell me what strategy is different in this? Maybe it'll cost less and has a few more bonuses but really it aint nothing new.

September 27, 2008 2:39:13 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I assume that extreme environment means requiring environmental techs to colonize and does not include extremely high PQ planets

September 27, 2008 2:45:22 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I would like to see an explanation of how the AI has been programed use the revamped espionage. I will definitey like the ability to get overall intel but I wonder how or whether the AI will use the info.

September 27, 2008 3:00:49 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I know, but no time to be nice folks

It is always time to be nice.

It is just a modestly priced game and is not worth getting your bowels in an uproar. If the finished product is not to your liking stop playing and move on. No matter how well they finish up it is only a matter of time before interest wans for most people.

September 27, 2008 9:37:18 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

It would of been nice at least when the time came to steal a tech, we actually had a selection of choice on which tech to steal? It would add more strategy to it?

*This is just one example of why I haven't noticed much change in this new system of espionage????

Other examples ... As soon as we reached advanced level of espionage we could have a choice on either ...

1)  sabotaging diplomacy

2)  sabotaging economy

3)  sabotaging military

etc...

September 28, 2008 6:35:55 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I presume my spies will steal what they can get - for you maybe:

"Gee, I was gonna pick up these blueprints for a doom ray, but Dark Lord Serptico was definite that he wanted a mass driver. I guess I'll leave them there - he's always yellin' 'bout bein surrounded buy idiots and fools and stuff, I don' wanna make him mad at me"

Jonnan

September 28, 2008 4:21:02 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

ToA v1.99 Impressions (and some ideas for the future)

Espionage  

I found the Espionage Tab to be very good in 1.99: effective, focused. We can place spyes on planets, see where they are and also place them as infiltrators (without doing damage to the races) to raise spy level. Would be a 5 star update if it would include new features. Of course that the espionage feature could be expanded alot in future versions, some ideas: (1) steal specific tech (with cost); (2) incite riots (specific towns); (3) sabotage trade routes; (4) sabotage starbases; just to name a few.

Production Governors (Not rated yet)

Didn't used them yet. Used them in the past however. Didn't found the need in Huge map where I like to manage my ~20 Planets by hand.

New "Disable Tech Brokering" feature

Wonderful option. A new and fresh game experience. With this feature enabled you raise diplomacy to a next level since it is possible to micromanage relations by deciding with whom to share your secrets.

New "Random Events" and "Extreme Planets" ocurrence feature

I like random events, I think they bring a certain dynamic to the game, that is important to add a little salt and pepper once in a while specially for long games, so I tend to choose "occasional". Now about extreme planets. Extreme planets have something about them that just does not feel right yet. Extreme techs take too long in normal speed. In many occasions extreme planets are rather poor (4 to 6) which make them unattractive. One idea would be to plant derilights/bonuses on them (wrecked ships, ancient ruins...)

Some ideas for future updates:

a) I think on suberb new feature of Galciv2 would be to alow planet bombardement with loss of citizens and occasional planetary buildings. I leave too often my planets ungarded for the entire game which does not seem realistic to an hostile race with a foothold in my territory.

Replace the invasion screen for something more dramatic. I fancied the old invasion screen with the little man and tanks shooting. Another aspect to invasion is that I think it is too easy to invade (read also something about it in other threads). The advantage to the attacker is just too high. Adding assault vehicles would be nice (would need to be built apart with special techs).

c) Planet destruction is already there but what about planet creation (from gas giants for example). This would be a nice addition (should be costly though, but there could be random events shortcuts like a device left on some planet that would unleash a chain reaction ...).

d) Raise diplomacy to the next level by introducing new diplomacy traits like: "You attacked our friends [--]" or "You are allied to our worst rival [--]" or "you have a treaty with our rivel" [-] and the analogous options.

e) Enhance espionage: (1) steal specific tech (with cost); (2) incite riots (specific towns); (3) sabotage trade routes; (4) sabotage starbases; just to name a few.

f) Spice up extreme planets with derilights/bonuses (wrecked ships, ancient ruins...) that could be seen before they are colonized.

Note: Fleet stacks still have moving difficulties. When all fleets are selected sometimes all move, other times only some move. This should be looked at.

September 30, 2008 7:13:52 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Tomorrow it's October the 1'st  ... are we gonna get the final 2.0 version on Impulse ?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000921   Page Render Time: