The General and The President-memoirs of a Navy War Hero

By on September 16, 2008 6:35:45 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

mambaman

Join Date 03/2006
+19

By General 'Stormin' Mike Mormon SMTADF, TADC, PSC, PH, DSO, GSM, KBE

Background:

I have lived a good life.  I was born in the dog days of the year 2183-five years after humans used the technologies we stole from the Arceans and joined what has since been termed the Great Space Race.  In my life I have seen the growth of humanity as a star people and presided over the birth of a mighty stellar Navy. Me from my humble beginnings on a lowly council estate in South West London.  I who's drive and ambition took me from that grim place in the burnt out inner city to Private School through sheer force of will and then from there to the Royal Stellar Naval College.  Quick promotion as an EU Defence Officer in the global war of protection against the Xendar that wracked our planet at the turn of the 23rd Century found me battle-hardened and war-experienced: at it's close in 2215 and with our forces victorious I found myself the youngest Officer to be promoted to the rank of Brigadier General and was sent to the United Earth Seat of power in Tokyo to act as military attache for the Navy to the Office of the President. 

I have made many friends in many races from all over our mighty galaxy-and I have made some enemies too.  I have sent countless servicemen and women to their deaths in the cold fastnesses of space and I have not flinched-I did what I had to do.  I regret none of it.  But I am not writing to tell you of all of that-what I want to chronicle is the remarkable friendship that I formed with a remarkable man.  He was much more-a titan of his age and many to come. He was the President of the Terran Alliance when we finally made our leap into greatness in 2226 and he is the President now many years later. I have the privilege to have served with one of the finest political and humanitarian minds to have ever graced the Azure House and to have been his Chief of the Star Navy.

His name was Dr Ben Amponsah and this is our story..........

203 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 16, 2008 7:48:23 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

ok, I got my popcorn ready.

September 17, 2008 6:23:52 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hehe-welcome aboard my latest storytelling gravy train AF Ronin! 

Game Settings:

*Immense Galaxy

*Difficulty: tough

*9 Star Races set on Tough: Humans, Korath, Thalan, Torian, Drath, Drengin, Iconian, Altarian, Arcean
*No of planets: occasional
*Habitable planets: Rare
*No of stars: Common
*Star density: tight
*Anomalies: abundant
*Asteroids: abundant
*Tech rate: slow
*Minor races: 9

The Terran Alliance:

*Home world: Earth
*Party: Technologists
*Leader: Dr Ben Amponsah

Hope you all enjoy-feel free to add your comments/thoughts and feedback whenever you want (I thrive on it)

September 17, 2008 7:07:21 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

You will give me the rights to this story for future publication ressistance is futile.

ie. "keep up the good work"

September 17, 2008 7:58:20 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Good start, but watch for spelling errors: those guys are brutal!

September 17, 2008 8:07:44 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

February 2226

I was furious!  I remember during that sweltering summer in New Tokyo that I had literally simmered with frustration and resentment: I had chafed like a schoolboy as the terms of my new command became clear.  At 43 I was now the youngest Lieutenant General in the TADF, I had the ear of our talismanic new President so why was I being sidelined?

As Military Attache to Dr Amponsah for the last 11 years and a Graduate of Honour from the gleaming TADF Staff College in Sandhurst, England, it was widely expected when my boss became President that I would leapfrog my older colleagues and be appointed Chairman of the Joint Chiefs: it would certainly be one in the eye of men I considered well beneath me.  Instead I had been summonsed to the Department of Defence and been told that my new Command was-well-no command at all!  I was to head the Stellar Navy a force that consisted of....1 Flagship (TASS Mayflower), 1 Scout ship (TASS Gnat) and a creaking old space miner (renamed TASS Alchemist).  Was this some sort of joke I had demanded of some hapless DOD Official at the time? I was one of the most decorated Officers in the Forces and this was my reward? Noone wanted to head up the Navy that was not a Navy with the Politicians deadlocked on whether to release the necessary funds and research to create it.

I often reflect (or rather my partner does) that it is amazing that my hot temper has not got me into more trouble during my career-I tell him that it's my anger that has driven me to reach the place I am now and that keeps me going. He smiles his enigmatic Altarian smile that I find at once so soothing, so arousing and so enfuriating....I digress. An Assistant bearing the seal and Insignia of the Office of the President had interrupted my empassioned ranting to request that I visit the Oval office presently.  Angered I may have been but this was not a request-it was very much a command.

My anger had abated nothing when I had entered the palatial New Oval Office.  It was apparently modelled on the famous American White House Oval Office that had been destroyed in the last pan-global War (the 3rd of it's kind)that had raged at the end of the 21st Century-the difference was that this modern version was three times as large.

The President had risen to greet me-even at this time we had become close: I had been his Military advisor for his Presidential campaign and his Attache for many years before that when he was plying the corridors of the Senate as the Senior Representative for The EU. We were to become much closer during the testing times of the years ahead.

'General-you are well met' he had beamed-he had a way and a warmth that could disarm the most aggressive foe and I had quickly felt my rage receding.

'Sit sit Mike.' he had said 'You are angry at me? You wonder how your old friend could humiliate you like this no?'

I had nodded mutely.

The President, his dark skin glistening in the soft light had pressed a button on the coffee table: lights lowered and a 3d holograph appeared in front of us-a strange craft-no larger than our Scout was spinning at the centre of the table.

'What do you think that is my old friend?' Amponsah had enquired. I was baffled.

'It is a Drengin Scout Ship Mike'

My blood had run cold at the time.  We had all learnt of the Drengin menace and had almost been at the sharp end of their rapacious brutality at around the time I was born. Luckily for us our forbears had had the good sense to end all communications with this reptilian race when we had so foolishly shared the secrets of Hyper Drive-it had been the so-called start of the 'Great Race' but it was many years before we were ready to send out our 1st Colony Ship (The 1st of its kind: the TASS Columbus).  That had been almost 50 years ago-we had only just managed to build another one...

'You wanna know what their message was?' The President had asked with a half smile playing across his features-he hadn't looked too amused I remember noting.

'There was lots of talk of Apes and enslavement-you know the drill.'

'Charming'

'Anyway General I didnt get you here to muse with you on the vagaries of interstellar diplomacy.  I brought you here to let you know that I am about to sign a new Act into being.  We now, as you know, have the technology to start to build a Star Navy-it will be modest at first-fighter wings and the like but what we most need now is defence: there is something about the attitude and stance of these Drengin that I like not.  In the meantime I have authorised the commission of 3 new Medium Scouts-they can see further and travel faster and further than the one you have in your inventory-we have 6 new Starports, Mike-let's get them cranked up!'

Or something like that (it was many years ago and even my near photographic memory is being tested to the limit by the onset of old age)

He had been smiling broadly now  and I couldnt help but join in: this was why he had entrusted me the job of looking after the new Navy-it was to become, in very short order, the 1st Line of Defence for the whole of the Terran Alliance, Earth and all its Colonies....

And I was to be at its head....

September 17, 2008 8:13:22 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

What spelling errors General?  I am normally good at ensuring there are as few as possible but if I've missed anything??

September 17, 2008 8:29:12 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

sorted re the mistakes hehe

September 22, 2008 12:06:40 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Nice beginning mambaman...looking forward to more. 

Kzinti empire2.JPG Sentient species taste better...

September 22, 2008 7:18:39 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Your name is Ben too? Sweetness. I might try writing an AAR of my own when 2.0 comes out, but it all depends on whether or not i can get off my lazy rear and do it. Nice start by the way.

September 23, 2008 8:11:14 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hey thanks Kzinti and Idunno-always good to have you guys on board-this will hopefully will be my best story yet as it's the 1st told from a vaguely familiar Terran perspective

really looking foreward to putting the whole thing together-game's progressing nicely

September 23, 2008 8:12:41 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

And you should definitely get writing Idunno-do it!

September 27, 2008 5:33:00 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hoping it's not too late to jump in...   Looks like another excellent AAR is beginning!

September 28, 2008 2:19:53 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hey thanks Eidolon-good to see you back writing by the way

October 2, 2008 3:32:08 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

8 Mar 2229

I can remember that night in the Situation Room as if it was like yesterday: all the Chiefs were there (fat good they would be I remembered thinking wryly), Nancy Dechart, the National Security Advisor; Mbossa N’gong, Interstellar Relations Ministry (IRM); Junichi Makata, Chief of Intelligence, all our Aides and the ever-present and brooding presence of the President’s Chief of Staff, the dour Scot, Marc Beaton. Amidst the blinking lights on the many data banks and the smoothly spinning holo images, I seemed to be the only one not sweating.

‘Ladies and gentlemen stand up!’ Beaton was doing his job and doing it well: if there was one rival I had for the President’s affections, this man was it.  Amponsah entered the darkened and hushed room: he looked as cool as I felt.

‘Ok guys so we have our inevitable DOW from the Drengi-what happened and how are we prepared?’

I remember Nancy was the first to rise and address the situation-she looked maternal, stern and determined.

‘Mr President at 1800hrs Zulu Time a flash holo message was received by the IRM-it came direct from the Drengin Ambassador.

‘Play it Nancy’ snapped Amponsah-his eyes steely.

As if on cue, a holo message appeared in the centre of the huge obsidian table that split the Situation Room-rotating slowly in its midst was Lord Kona himself-ever one for grandstanding-he had not entrusted this missive to a subordinate. The speech was short, along the lines of:

‘Human apes-you are too much of a threat to be allowed to continue to exist. We, the Drengi will return you to swinging from the trees....if we let any of you live!’

And that was it-quaint translation by the Universal Translator software I had thought at the time: the message was quite clear nonetheless.

All eyes were on the President-if he looked in the slightest bit bothered, it did not show.

‘And the Torians M’bossa?’

M’bossa N’gong: genial, affable and a giant of a Kenyan man: he had been the perfect choice for the Interstellar equivalent of the Secretary of State.  All in his Ministry and in Intel had been stunned by the DOW from the Torians only one week previously. 

‘Sir all the signs are that the Torians have been paid to declare war on us. I am almost certain that if we refrain from hostilities with them I can put in a counter offer and get a peace treaty from them within weeks.’

‘Good man. General Mormon what are the dispositions of your guys and what is your plan?’ The President had asked-all eyes were now on me-I  loved this sort of stage-they were all eating out of the palms of my hand. 

At the press of a button the Obsidian table we were sat round turned into a 2D representation of our galaxy with the Drengi Colonial territories hard on our lower left, the Torians many parsecs to our top, the Drath in and amongst us below and the Iconians off to our right.

‘Sir as you know we have 9 colonies including Earth-all are protected by at least one Defender-basic fighter Class craft armed with Rail Guns. The Drengi are using the same type of offensive weaponry according to Military Intel so I have asked The Technology Minister to concentrate on researching Armour for our ships.’

M’bossa had interjected: ‘I may be able to help you there General-indications from our friends the Paulos are that they would be willing to trade Advanced Titanium armour for the right price-we reckon a trade for some of our developmental techs and a little cash will do it.’

‘Make it happen’ from the President. ‘General Mormon how is the infrastructure development going?’

‘Mr President we now have six operational stardocks and they are in full production. As you can imagine there has been no shortage of applicants from the TADF for the many positions vacant within the Star Navy-I  have been able to cream the pick of the Officer and non-commissioned Officer Corps from the Air Force, Navy and Army.’ I shot a glance at the Joint Chiefs-they sat glaring: my shameless cherry picking of their finest had provoked a turf war that the President himself had had to step in and stop.

‘Your prognosis?’

‘Difficult to say Sir-at this stage I  believe that we have the better production capacity so I  would advocate a lightning war-my plan is, now all our worlds are defended, to send all available forces to gather and attack Drengi itself-delay means death....’

It was a bravura performance-not for nothing had I earned the sobriquet, “Stormin”

‘Make it happen General’ The President had said and rose to leave. We stood as one. Once he had gone, I remember delivering some instructions to my Executive Officer, Brigadier General Carla Munities, and then I  had followed the President. Sure enough, Beaton was waiting for me outside.

‘The President wants a word Mike’

I had nodded and followed him to the New Oval Office. Beaton showed me in and left wordlessly. The President was stood by the crackling fireside-we were in the last throes of winter in this part of Japan. His PA approached with a tumbler of my favourite Bushmills Irish Whisky-he already had a glass in hand. His handsome features framed by the crackling firelight he turned to me: he suddenly looked tired and drawn.

‘Can we see them off Mike?’ He asked earnestly ‘this is the implacable terror of our childhood nightmares’

I had looked him in the eye, my gaze unflinching

‘Sir my boys are spoiling for a fight-they believe they have the better craft the superior culture and above all you know what?’

‘What my old friend?’

‘They all say “we got the Ben and Mike show on board-we can’t lose!”’ We both broke into fits of laughter at this last-the pilots and their support staff’s confidence in us was silly, touching and reassuring all at the same time but By God it would do!

‘You just keep the research and money coming in Mr President and I will deliver you a victory-give me 2 years. ‘They were bold words but what I felt my friend needed to hear. Already he looked more energised-some of his old vigour returning.

‘2 years eh? You don’t fool me Mike but I will take it-I'll see what M’bossa can do at the UP: there is much evidence to suggest that a few of the other races will join us in our defensive war with the right incentives...’

I had swigged back the last of the whisky, savouring the burning smoothness as it passed down my throat.

‘And if you will excuse me Mr President I  have a Star Navy to run’ and with twinkling eyes and a sharp salute I  had taken my leave-all the chips were now in play: The Terran Alliance was at war...............

October 2, 2008 8:57:47 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Ahhh, the plot thickens.

October 5, 2008 9:19:41 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Terran Sitmap Mar 2232

October 5, 2008 10:38:04 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

March 2232

In the event it took us 28 months, so I had not quite been able to make good my promise to the President. It had been a period of unprecedented growth for our Colonies and for Earth during a time in which not one of our planets had been threatened by the Drengin menace.

One steamy Ugandan afternoon I found myself trying to explain some of the basics of all this to our son, Starla (my partner, being the Altarian Ambassador to Earth, was away in Tokyo so I had taken a couple of days out of my hectic schedule to both pay a visit to Starfleet HQ and our boisterous and inquisitive 11 year old son).

‘OK Daddy so why did the Torians also declare war against the Drengi when they were supposed to be our enemies too?’

‘Remember what I  said, son, about them being paid to attack us so we paid them not to’  He was such a bright good-looking boy-taking the best of both his father’s Altarian and human genes and merging them into an exceptional child of singular beauty.

‘Oh yes-sorry. Ok I  get why the Altarians kept attacking the Drengi, as they are our closest friends  and I suppose the Paulos wanted to protect themselves from the Drengi bullies and I can see why the Torians joined the war on our side but why would they also attack our neighbours the Drath? They weren’t bothering anyone were they?’

A very good question I remembered thinking. It had been in November of the previous year and despite the warnings of our IRM and the personal intervention of the President, the Drath, fearing annihilation at the hands of the most powerful race in the known galaxy, had abjectly surrendered all their colonies to the Arceans. It rankled that our influence was so easily dismissed by the over-mighty Torian Confederation but it meant little in the Grand Scheme of things since we had very good relations with the Arceans as well-it was just a shame that the Drath hadn’t seen fit to hand their worlds over to us. That was the President’s view anyway-it meant not a lot to me just as long as the Arceans were not a threat to the fleet or our colonies.

‘So was that like when the nasty Korath surrendered their 4 planets over to us then Dad?’

‘Yes son-the same situation exactly and even though many humans feel that we will not be able to assimilate the Korath into our culture we have made a good start over the last year.’

The boy was pondering this last-he had two Korath children whelps (their term not ours) in his class at The Naval School in Kampala and he had not taken to them at all-some of their habits were disgusting and they smelt!

‘Right so when the Altarian and Terran fleets forced a Drengin surrender Dad am I right in saying that you and the President were hoping that they would surrender to us?’

‘Well son that is a good question. My main hope is that by showing our enemies that we are strong we can deter further aggression against us-that is the hope of the President as well.’

And this much was true-the problem was that, when they surrendered, the Drengin did so to the one race that, if anything, had been even more aggressive than they had been-the hitherto peace-loving and gentle Torians. Yes the same Torians that had started aggressive wars against us, the Korath and then the Drath and had wiped out two minor races (the Snathi and the Dark Yor). This new found aggression on the part of the former slaves of the Drengi was occupying a great deal of analysis by the Civilo-Psychs at the IRM and in the Azure House and it was the subject of an order on my part to develop some complex plans to counter a Torian surprise strike. I had, at the same time, requested that Military Intel work closely with Makata’s Intelligence Operatives to find out what the Torians were working on and how their ships were armed. Maybe they had just been enslaved by the Drengin for so long that they had lost the essentials of what made them Torian-30,000 years of servitude to the Drengin has got to have some pernicious effects!

As if reading my thoughts Starla asked ‘so it’s the Torians that you are most worried about Dad and I can see why: they are the most powerful of the Great Races and they seem to be very aggressive. Would we be able to match up to them in a war?’

He looked worried, blue eyes searching mine earnestly-I had ruffled his blonde hair and touched that strange birth mark that all Altarians (and their half breeds it would seem) possessed.

‘Well we are building our Naval forces son-we will soon be the Pride of the Galaxy I  am sure-all of the races are on very good terms with us too so...’

And our Star Navy was good-very good indeed: we had lost only a handful of our prized Hornet Fighters in the War and now the Fleet numbered 35. They were grouped into 7 Flights each under a Flight Lieutenant-commanding the whole lot was Colonel Darcey De Franc-a superb ex Air Force flier and a good friend. Our plan was to replicate this structure as the Navy grew with the Flight Lieutenants moving into the Colonel positions. I also had a chief of Reconnaissance, Colonel Yevgeny Iliushov, who commanded the 7 medium Scouts who had done such a good job in the Drengin war-not only had they kept us closely informed of the enemy movements but they had also kept at their secondary role scouting anomalies and bringing in a considerable amount in cash for the sale of some of the old artefacts and junk floating around in space. Topping the whole lot off was Colonel Sheila Unsworth, a straight-talking Aussie, who was in charge of the Defenders and Thunder Home Defence Fighters based on each of our worlds. It was a small but dedicated group of Senior Officers who gave me great confidence for the future-whether we would be allowed to get to that future by the rapacious Torians was quite another matter of course...

‘Dad! Dad! Wake up!’ my son broke me out of my reverie ‘you owe me a game of Jet-Tennis remember?’

They were good days those-precious time with my son was soon to be an even more precious night spent with my husband, who unexpectedly arrived at the Starport later that day-he had wanted to surprise us he maintained innocently...they were good days to be enjoyed and savoured-days and months before the setting of the sun and the onslaught of the coming storm..........

October 6, 2008 10:52:00 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

In the last sentence... do you mean "wife" or "partner" rather than "husband"? Otherwise, good read.

October 7, 2008 12:16:44 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

lol, I picked up on it in the third post

He smiles his enigmatic Altarian smile

Good plot twist, not only interspecies, but same gender too. I wonder what happens in case of a Terran/Altarian war?

One other question mambaman, with regards to the kid, how?

I'm thinking either your going to have Altarians reproducing differently from us, with the males bearing children, or a derivative of cloning, namely inducing meiosis of a male diploid cell to produce haploid cells containing an X chromosome.

Other than that, keep up the good work.

That is all.

October 7, 2008 6:46:49 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hehe-nicely spotted Splitski and here are the answers (or some of them: I don't want to give too much away)

• Yes it's an inter-species match-something that would have been unusual but not impossible then (see below re DNA)
  • No Terran/Altarian war in this game: I started them as close to us and thats the way it has been ever since with the Altarians providing much in the way of support in our war against the Drengin hehe
  • Yes it's also same gender: I think that in the 23rd Century this would have been as much the norm as inter-gender matches
  • As for the child: well we know that Altarians share the same DNA as us (from the various histories) so why not?  I am sure that science would have been able to sort some sort of cloning process using the combined DNA of both fathers.....

All grist to the mill eh?  It was important to make the world suitably familiar whilst also different-several hundred years would bring about big changes in society methinks

Also it allows me to indulge myself

October 8, 2008 11:08:30 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Just remember that, genetic engineering would eliminate the need for gender!!!

October 8, 2008 11:16:19 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

How do you mean?

That is all.

October 8, 2008 12:46:34 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I was wondering too mamabman, but I had assumed it was a typo.  Nice twist of the backstory.

Kzinti empire2.JPG Sentient species taste better...

October 9, 2008 8:14:00 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Thanks Kzinti

October 9, 2008 8:20:31 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

There is a part of me that will always thrill and marvel at the sheer rush of piloting an Advance Interdiction Fighter like the Hornet. Designed by my very good friend Professor Andrew S Sharpe and the geniuses in the Shipbuilders Guild, it was fast-very fast indeed-it was agile, more than a match for the Drengin Super Dominator Corvettes that it almost invariably came up against. It was well-crafted, technically superior and utterly suited to the job for which it was built: advance at speed to the theatre of operation, mass in numbers (in this case the famous ‘Flight of five’) and overwhelm the opposition. Designed to take a beating its Armour plating ensured that we lost as few of our most precious commodity as possible, namely the pilots, Navigation and Weapons Officers that made up its crew of five.

Time after time, the Drengin threw everything they could at our frontier systems of Avignon, Marie and Wodan-each time we beat them back. At first, our losses were heavy as we were only able to muster the poorly protected Defenders but the advent of the Hornet was widely credited, afterwards, with turning the course of the war-the Drengin simply had no answer for this deadly little beauty.

I had remembered once asking Professor Sharp how it was he went about assembling this masterpiece (and many more besides). He had turned and told me that it was like composing music or painting a masterpiece-there was no ‘why’ there just was. It was as simple as me commanding troops into battle-I did not think about it-just had a gift for it-the same was true of him.

We had been at the Mitrosoft Shipyards in Nova Barcelona at the time and he had ushered me into his cluttered office more befitting some raggedy clerk than the auteur of so many technological marvels (Sharp was responsible for designing the Raptor Mk7 Air Superiority Fighter only a decade previously). 

‘See here Mike’ he had said throwing papers and designs onto the floor ‘see this design’

I had looked on in wonder at a thing of beauty-a little like the Hornet only much larger and sleeker (if that be possible-the Hornet was widely praised as one of the most comely craft ever to grace the stars).

‘What you are witnessing is my imagination General’ he had said ‘a flight of fancy if you will-I have put this together using materials that we have not yet discovered and employing principles of physics that we don’t yet know-but you have to dream think you not?’

I had chuckled at his strange use of English idiom ‘Indeed Andy-it is a wonderful looking ship-like everything you have a hand in-what will you call her’

And he had just laughed and told me that this was a question for me and the TASF HQ to ponder-what it was, though, was a Light Cruiser-it would require a crew of several hundred souls-we could call it what we willed.

He was a remarkable man-like so many that the President and I surrounded ourselves with-our inner circle-so few left now, so few left………

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001250   Page Render Time: