Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor v1.96

So many updates

By on July 1, 2008 12:45:50 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums External Link

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1078

Stardock has released Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor v1.96.  This is a pretty major update despite the version numbering.  Our goal with this update was to address as much of the player feedback we could in the time available.

Our next stop is to work on Galactic Civilizations II v2.0. v2.0 will be an update for both Twilight and Dark Avatar players which signicantaly enhances espionage, updates the computer AI based on player feedback, and incorporates a lot of new content that we've been working on for awhile.

v2.0 will also include the updated user manual that fleshes out the Twilight of the Arnor universe and talk about the Legacy of the Telenanth.  There will be some updates for Dread Lords users as well. v2.0 will be a free update of course.

It's available for download on either Impulse or Stardock Central.

Check out the link below to get an idea of what was changed.

37 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 2, 2008 1:17:17 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
So v2.0 is next? So its not a slow crawl from v1.96 to v1.97 to v1.98 to v1.99 then finally v2.0?

Anyways, can you provide us with a sneak peak of what there is to come?
July 2, 2008 2:56:52 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Yessssssssss, you've fixed the trade bug ... I love you guys !
July 2, 2008 3:12:21 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Well, I would have sworn to have previousy posted the following, but who knows ...
v2.0 will be an update for both Twilight and Dark Avatar players
Wasn't GC2 2.0 be supposed to be also an update (even if small) for DL as indicated in the following thread http://forums.galciv2.com/311088 :
Then, probably in July or maybe early August we will be releasing Galactic Civilizations II v2.0. This update will affect all versions of GalCiv II but mostly Dark Avatar and Twilight.
July 2, 2008 7:49:08 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
This is the list of improvements for 1.96 vs 1.95 as published at http://sdc1.stardock.com/public/gc2/production/Twilight.htm

v1.96

+ NEW: Clicking on Race Logos on the Civ Manager>Timeline>Legend screen will toggle them on/off in the timeline

+ NEW: Added option to change the zoom speed

+ TWEAK: Legend screen only lists the races you know

+ TWEAK: Increased the max value the edge scroll speed could take in the options window

+ FIXED: [070108] caused ship components that you didn’t have the tech requirements for to show up as available in the ship design list
+ This also fixes the problem with the AI not being able to build military ships
+ This also fixes a crash

+ FIXED: Arcean planet improvement "Cathedral of Valor" now gives the 33% planetary defense bonus that it mentions in its description. Still working on a solution for the soldiering bonus.

+ FIXED: PlaceAgentWnd: Next and previous buttons should only show planets that you know about (aren't hidden in the FOW)

+ FIXED: We believe that we have fixed the crash when placing a spy but it's hard to reproduce so it may just not have come up during testing.

+ FIXED: Now if a starbase can't install any modules, the starbase details and intel windows say "No modules available" rather than "0/0"

+ FIXED: Bug that kept the trade route revenue and distance traveled from calculating correctly

+ FIXED: The “auto-attack bug,” where you would have to click on a ship in auto-attack mode after it had won a battle for it to pick another target, also leaving the turn button hidden without proceeding with the turn

+ FIXED: Bug where if an empty string was read from the registry, the function would still return true, which would make it impossible to submit games to the metaverse.

+ FIXED: Bug where some of the functions that create ship nodes were passing in parameters in the wrong order, which could cause crashes and possibly invisible ships, but you might now have funny looking ships if for some reason it fails to find your user designed ship data. Again, we recommend NOT overwriting ship designs.

+ FIXED: Bug where going to the PlaceAgentWnd from the GNN would result in the GNN not coming back

+ FIXED: Disabled AllowMixedVP option as most cards don't seem to handle this well.

+ FIXED: Invalid Call bug when Alt-Tabbing which was caused by the device not being ready to Reset. It could still be caused by other things, but it should be much more rare now.

+ FIXED: Bug where improvements that had ManualDestruct set to 0 were still setting it as true, which allowed you to still destroy and rebuild weather control, etc

July 2, 2008 8:48:43 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Our next stop is to work on Galactic Civilizations II v2.0. v2.0 will be an update for both Twilight and Dark Avatar players which significantly enhances espionage,

Any teasers as to what that may entail? I don't think I've seen anything. Really makes me rethink my current quest to knock out all this current espionage information (spy-weeks for each level, costs of spies, effect of +espionage).
July 2, 2008 9:40:25 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Wasn't GC2 2.0 be supposed to be also an update (even if small) for DL

We were going to try and do it across the board, but even backporting the Espionage change into DA is going to be a HUGE pain...after much discussion, we decided that porting back to DL is more trouble than what it's worth    Sorry P.P.

Also, please note that not all 2.0 features will be for both TA and DA. The tweaked espionage system, or course, and other changes will be backported, but the majority of the new bigger 2.0 features will be Twilight only.

That said, there are alot of cool changes being made, so stay tuned as to what 2.0 will entail   We think you guys are going to be pretty happy.

July 2, 2008 10:24:06 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
What is the Espionage change?
July 2, 2008 12:18:15 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I just hope that IF it is at all possible to alter or transfer as is some of the great features found in TA straight into DA (backward proper formatting, that is!)... you guys are gonna do all you can to make it so.

I can't actually pin-point at the exact thingies which would be a good supplement to DA but the new 'Click-Logos' in the Timeline screen to pull any Race lines off the chart would certainly be a welcomed addition, etc.

And... of course, what is written all over the place and into the "Slam_My_Game" thread must somehow make THAT all important cut of version 2.0 fame.

I feel the opportunity is there to even patchup a solution to most of the Editors; example, a DA tech-tree cannot be altered in the current framework or the spreadsheet feature i've asked for the Mapping stuff.

We are investing our trust into you SD for plenty more - if that's even possible.

OH - and real sabotage by spies & counter-measures by Repair Crews - please!

July 2, 2008 3:24:19 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Is the ship auto designer bug still around? This is the one where the option to auto design your ships uses more components than what you should be allowed.
Thanks
July 2, 2008 4:52:29 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Could you give us at least a small hint when approximately to expect v2.0? What you said sounds great - but no pressure on my side, as with TA please take all the time you need to bring it to a polished state. Rumors are 2.0 will be the last update, is that true?
July 2, 2008 5:49:33 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
What's this? This is terrible news!! Rant, rant, rave, rave. Impulse grrr. My dog ate my homework. Stardock is responsible for high oil prices. Blah, blah, blah...

Thanks again for the effort and know that many value Stardock's after sales support.

Definitely looking forward to 2.0. I've said it before - you guy's rock.
July 4, 2008 8:14:03 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
*cough*

no-tech brokering option

*cough*

Thanks!
July 5, 2008 8:45:22 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Would you mind to add mines to the 2.0 version? It would add to the defence/surprise side and the AI should be able to handle it without major changes.

With mines I mean:
Minelayer module
Minesweeper module
Mine detector module
Tech: Focused Sensors (enables minesweeper and mine detector module that can detect mines from 1-2 squares away)

Also, you need to tweak the ranges because right now they are ineffective and there is no need to develop them.
July 6, 2008 2:44:36 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Due to the fact that GalCiv 2 has multiple ways to achieve victory, I think that the mine issue is a little trickier than it seems. What if you put some mines in a region and some AI flag ship, which belongs to a race you are at peace with, walks in that sector not knowing of their presence ? War ensemble ?

This means, that the mines will have to be activated ONLY by ships that belong to a race you are at war with. The others can pass freely through the mines, not being aware of their existence.
July 6, 2008 12:08:49 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I'm not in the know, but I think it's safe to say that there won't be any major new game rules this late in the development cycle. I think you'd be better off putting in a list of wants for GC III.
July 6, 2008 4:44:53 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I disagree on mines....Coding the AI to take advantage of it would seemingly take much development time away from other things.

+++++++++No Tech Brokering --definitely....please... would make proxy wars viable.

+TerrorStar engines (make them a upgrade+research..or make warp drive1 unlock a engine module, and hyperwarp 1 unlock another module), and the upgrade something crazy like 5000-10000 for a one-time small speed bump (say +2,+3). That way they remain just as inefficient and expensive as the terrorstars themselves... (who really has the time to research this stuff... by the time this is left in the tech tree, moving at 1pc on a large, huge,gigantic, immense map is TOTALLY useless, and on a small or tiny map the game is over by then. The only time ive built one(seriously built) was on a medium map.

Is it possible to change the default production rate to 100% at game start? Its always annoyed me @67%. Unless there's a reason,.... not sure, doesent everyone ramp it to 100% in the first turn?

+Sensors IV doesn't have a ship component for any race anymore. Not a big deal for Terran because of their unique, but for other races it would be nice for that to be fixed.

+More UP options to vote on.

July 6, 2008 11:17:23 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I would like to see some new ship jewels.

I hope the espionage thing is that you can just place spies that let you gather Intel and do not disable anything and are harder to nullify since there just on recon missions. Seems like their saboteurs not spies right now. It would be cool if you could target generic stuff too like overall production or more important moral through a propaganda program might effect how the people of another race see you.

July 7, 2008 10:09:32 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Another annoying small problem that's still around - on the Diplomacy Screen - offered cash amounts will sometimes be shown truncated (ie - will show 213 instead of 2135). Should not take much to fix this.
July 7, 2008 10:13:30 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Another annoying small problem that's still around - on the Diplomacy Screen - offered cash amounts will sometimes be shown truncated (ie - will show 213 instead of 2135). Should not take much to fix this.

Seconded!

Along with some (sorry for this not being replicated) rare instances that bc doesn't go to the amount needed to allow the trade to go through. IP doesn't even seem to have this introduced.
July 7, 2008 2:26:07 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I would like to see some new ship jewels.

Along with a whole set of doubled (Trim and_or Hull texturing schemas) basic 3D Primaries in highly variable shapes and sizes (we have the usual "Starter Blocks", now we need the Icosahedron & Tetras pyramids and beyond!) - please_S (exponential multiplicator added in).

I really do want to puzzle up my Lego_like ships as i truly would.

What about some Blue or Green Hardpoint arrows?
Blame the DreadLord or Drengin reddishly enhanced coloring schemes for this need, btw.
July 7, 2008 7:33:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
You know what I think should be put in? Some kind of stealth/cloaking ability that allows ships to bypass sensors to a certain extent. For example, if a ship enters an area that is monitored by a starbase with +3 to sensors, the ship cannot be seen until within the range of +2 sensors. Ships without sensor modules would be unable to see them at all until they were attacked, and maybe the Eyes of the Universe improvement would be unable to see cloaked ships? That would be neat for fast ships, allowing them to use hit-and-run tactics, and for sneaking reinforcements into enemy territory. That would make sensors incredibly important. Then you could give cloaked ships a first round advantage (like the Arcean super ability, or just a super weapons bonus) if they are undetected before they attack.
July 7, 2008 8:40:03 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
repeat-Is the ship auto designer bug still around? This is the one where the option to auto design your ships uses more components than what you should be allowed.
Thanks
July 8, 2008 11:19:47 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Unevenpieces, your comments are very appropiate.
Mines could be handled like ships that have a big single punch and then get destroyed. Multiple can be stacked in the same square and possibly be instructed to attach only defined classes of ships like transports or BBs.
AI coding doesn't look that bad compared to other functions already developed, but I guess it will be a matter of how much Brad likes the idea.
July 8, 2008 11:27:24 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Have posted this also elsewhere...

1) I'd like to add one additional level before alliance called Partnership.
It would be sharing of astronomical data like stars, planets, and so on. Basically would mean that I see what my partner ships see. Could be stopped with 1 year notice or war obviously.

2) Usually I do spend some time adjusting % of expenditures for technologies to reach my targets. I'd like to have the technology slider adjustable not in % but in turns left before discovery. The program should auto adjust in case of economy changes.

3) see also Minimap on diplomacy
July 9, 2008 10:25:14 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Looking forward to another great update soon!

I do have one complaint about the surrender AI. I've noticed a lot of computer empires surrendering very early on the game despite taking loses from ships only. Situations will occur where one computer player will be down to a couple of ships and surrender even if their opponent has very low soldering stats or a small population that can not effectively conquer more than a planet or two.

It seems a more realistic approach would be for the AI to consider relative soldiering stats and population numbers, as well as their ability to replenish their navy.

I've simply turned off the surrender option since this has had such a large affect on game play.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001094   Page Render Time: