Twilight of the Arnor enters final gamma testing!

The long wait is nearly over...

By on April 21, 2008 1:19:29 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1116

imageStardock is pleased to announce that Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor has gone into final gamma testing. The expansion pack to the critically acclaimed space strategy game, Galactic Civilizations II: Dread Lords, completes the Dread Lord saga with the return of the powerful Precursor civilization, the Arnor. 

Arguably the most comprehensive expansion pack in strategy game history, Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor has more new features and content than Galactic Civilizations II had over the original.

A labor of love, Twilight of the Arnor is nearly complete.  This week, we are putting it through final gamma testing as lots of content and goodies that were held back during the public beta are integrated in, tested, polished, etc. 

Amongst the new features includes unique technology trees for each of the 12 major civilizations. This also means unique weapons, ships, planetary improvements, and much more for each civilization.  This has allowed us to greatly expand the story of each civilization.  Moreover, a new victory condition has been added called Ascension in which players can take control of the Ascension crystals (introduced in the campaign) for victory.  The graphics of Twilight of the Arnor have been completely revamped to bring the game's visuals to 2008 standards. Check out the screenshot below to get an idea.

We have set the launch date to be April 30th (late afternoon Eastern Standard Time) for the digital release. Twilight of the Arnor does require the first expansion pack (Dark Avatar) to run.  A bundle of the entire saga is available at a discount.  The final expansion pack to the most highly rated space-strategy game of all time is nearly here...

[Purchase Options]

The Graphics Difference:

image  vs. image

145 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 21, 2008 1:35:43 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I thought April 23rd was the release date???????
April 21, 2008 1:49:58 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Another week of waiting?

I can make it.

I can make it.

SanChonino can make it.
April 21, 2008 2:16:49 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Good grief.....the amount of teasing you Stardock people do is too much....first its this date and then that date and now another date....my first girlfriend didn't make me wait this long.... 

Well...its good that we now have the launch date set at Apr. 30.....2008 I hope?    
April 21, 2008 2:23:36 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Well...its good that we now have the launch date set at Apr. 30.....2008 I hope?    

Now don't get greedy.
April 21, 2008 3:30:19 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I thought April 23rd was the release date???????

Another week of waiting?I can make it.I can make it.SanChonino can make it.

Goodness such whiners!

Glad to see its been extended! Quality > All imo.
April 21, 2008 3:31:43 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I don't mind waiting. Having the game the 23rd would be nice, but I'd rather have TotA be that much more stable and bug-free. If that means waiting an extra week, so be it.
April 21, 2008 3:36:40 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Bof, another week is a fraction of a second in our gameplay lives... please do hold on to my already mailed money-order until that freaky wild day though!
April 21, 2008 4:02:32 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
We have set the launch date to be April 30th (late afternoon Eastern Standard Time) for the digital release.

What about the CD release?
April 21, 2008 4:10:36 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Thats one weeks worth of extra AI updates. Yai !

April 21, 2008 4:12:09 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Ya I am hoping this time the CD release is actually earlier than the Digital release. Good choice on setting the game back. It should make things better for everyone. Trust me people you will love this expansion.
April 21, 2008 4:35:19 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Can I purchase TA with tokens? I have some left on Stardock Central but when I went to purchase it, there was no token price. Is there some other method I should be following?
Thanks, looking forward to getting TA.
April 21, 2008 4:45:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Can I purchase TA with tokens? I have some left on Stardock Central but when I went to purchase it, there was no token price.

SDC seems to be treating it funnily, but if you go to TotalGaming.Net, log in, and use your tokens there you can pre-order it.
April 21, 2008 4:49:31 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I guess it was best to allow the AI updating Brad was doing to get tested before pushing it off on us.

He's only gotten the Dregin/Yor/Korath/Thalan/Korx/Arcean/Terran done so far right? Still a few other races to be polished up.
April 21, 2008 5:02:29 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Thanks SanChonino,
That worked. Downloading TA right now.
April 21, 2008 5:17:13 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
If the other races get the same AI overhaul as the Drengin, I'm sure that quite a few players will have to readjust their standard difficulty level downwards.
April 21, 2008 5:41:52 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Actually, you guys want to know the one-week delay cause? The new ridiculously large galaxy size. They have to be play tested and those things take serious time.
April 21, 2008 5:59:10 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Hey guys, dont worry. Its just seven days. That's how far the days go every time you press "Turn".  

Cant wait. That new Terran Ship looks awesome.
April 21, 2008 6:02:43 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Actually, you guys want to know the one-week delay cause? The new ridiculously large galaxy size. They have to be play tested and those things take serious time.

I forgive you.....  Is there really going to be a ridiculously large galaxy size?    
April 21, 2008 6:14:46 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I forgive you..... Is there really going to be a ridiculously large galaxy size?

Immense? Or is there another, larger sandbox coming?

April 21, 2008 6:40:19 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I would prefer some larger toys to play with in my immense sandbox. Bring on the immense ships!

Can't wait for the release, but I will anyway.
April 21, 2008 6:47:47 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Is there really going to be a ridiculously large galaxy size?Immense? Or is there another, larger sandbox coming?

A galaxy size larger than "immense"? I dont think so. That would have to be called "realistic"
April 21, 2008 7:09:17 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Maybe they added one more size up and called it "Ridiculous".
April 21, 2008 7:33:16 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Maybe they added one more size up and called it "Ridiculous".

Followed by yet another map size: "Ludicrous"

hehe
April 21, 2008 7:36:32 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Lol.

The point of gamma testing is that everything is in place and just testing the features already in place. So it's probably the Immense galaxy that's being tested again and again to see if it works with every setting there is. I'd love to be wrong however
April 21, 2008 7:56:48 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I know people always want to keep playing, and having a map that unlocks more areas as the game progresses, so I think we should find a way in GC3 to have an 'Infinite' galaxy that just keeps growing.

Or not...I just think it'd sound cool 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000562   Page Render Time: