Join Date 11/2007
What is an AAR Exactly.
23 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 6, 2007 9:58:19 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
After action report. Basically its a turn log or story based on one's game.
November 6, 2007 10:30:11 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Ok thanks for the help. In most forums I would have been flamed to all hell for asking about something like this.
November 6, 2007 10:52:54 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Ok thanks for the help. In most forums I would have been flamed to all hell for asking about something like this.

Now thats silly.
November 6, 2007 11:33:24 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Now thats silly.

Dang, beat me to it. Ofcourse I would have said something different....
November 7, 2007 9:00:01 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
You still can, in case you miss it.
Right now, I am looking up abuses. If you want, I let them loose.

Honestly: People around here tend to be very helpful and oriented on facts. Keep on!
November 7, 2007 12:10:37 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
No surprise: Not all game forums are as friendly as the ones here at GalCiv.

(Not that we don't have a share of dustups now and again--the 1.8 revision, for example). However, we are a relatively friendly and positive bunch here.

Now I have to wonder aloud--is that because Gal Civ 2 is NOT a multiplayer game, and the competition (via Metaverse) is indirect?
November 7, 2007 6:19:00 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
You could be right Jvstin. I have noticed, however, that the Off Topic forums can get pretty nasty.
March 25, 2008 2:52:00 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Ok thanks for the help. In most forums I would have been flamed to all hell for asking about something like this.Now thats silly.

Very true you can get just about crucified on City of Heroes and I think they burn you at the stake in World of Warcraft for being a noob. This has been one of the nicest forums I have yet to see. Everyone here is extremely helpful even though there might be the occasional gripe about grammer. But that isn't a problem for me since, "I no my letters."

March 25, 2008 3:55:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
You've never been on the Battleships Forever forums. I joined only recently but apparently before I did a lot of feeling got hurt in a flame war.
March 28, 2008 11:55:53 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
even though there might be the occasional gripe about grammer. But that isn't a problem for me since, "I no my letters."

Because you brought it up, it should be know, rather then no my letters. I'm going to guess thats why its quotation marked but
March 31, 2008 5:36:13 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Hehe you guessed it Fate and I would agree with the guys that this is deffo one of the friendliest forums around-a great bunch of positive guys who are positive in the main
June 12, 2008 7:57:47 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Traditionally AAR actually stands for After Action Review, not Report.

After the US military completes a field training exercise the unit commanders meet with their troops to discuss the results of the exercise, what went well, and what went poorly. This meeting is called an After Action Review. The commanders also meet with the other commanders for another AAR from a more strategic viewpoint.

This was the original source of the term, which has since been modified in forums like these because obviously in this kind of single-player game the information being passed on is a Report on the game, not a Review of how the player actually did in the game.

So anywhere outside of a strategic game forum AAR is probably going to be intended as After Action Review, not After Action Report.
June 15, 2008 5:54:27 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
think they burn you at the stake in World of Warcraft for being a noob

I stopped posting on the WOW forums after 1 day of light posting. So many self-righteous, 'I think I'm the man because I have full s3' losers I just couldn't stand it anymore.

The people on this forum seem a lot less psycho.
June 15, 2008 6:32:04 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
So, How do I get to the 'Epic Story Generator' that makes these AARs? There is nothing in the DA or ToA manuals about it and no button showed up on my recent technology victory and I don't see any web directory in the game's save directory.
June 15, 2008 9:11:37 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
The "epic Generator" never saw the light of day unfortunately, all these AAR's are done the old fashioned way, people write them based on their gaming experiences.
June 17, 2008 11:55:22 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
The people on this forum seem a lot less psycho.

We are still Psychos. Just nicer ones.

February 27, 2011 3:19:20 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting AllgameLord,

i think everyone is nice cuz thay dont know what AAR is when thay first see it

March 1, 2011 12:21:04 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

No Mikey people are nice on here because they are...well just nice 

March 11, 2011 7:34:12 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

ditto. and we definitely know what an AAR is by the way.

March 3, 2012 8:01:25 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting USAF_Ronin,
We are still Psychos. Just nicer ones.

I may not be too psycho(my sister is exactly the opposite, unfortunatly) but, yeah, I can be psycho sometimes

March 4, 2012 12:01:41 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Neilo,
The "epic Generator" never saw the light of day unfortunately, all these AAR's are done the old fashioned way, people write them based on their gaming experiences.

I sorta doubted the ability for a computer program to put a narrative to your entire epic struggle.  Yeah, it can use a bunch of pre-generated sentences from XML and fill in the blanks, but it has no sense of drama.  And even if it did, that would have to be programmed in.  Maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but if such a thing could be done at a profit, it would have been done already.  For sure, there's enough useless guff on TV that could benefit from that kind of software.

March 4, 2012 2:37:11 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Whoa, i posted in this thread?? LOL Gotta be a record for length of time between post and quote!!!

I do agree though Marvin, it was always going to be a pipe dream for it to work the way SD intended it would. Probably why they canned it in the first place, every one's AAR would have the Drengin hating them!

March 4, 2012 10:32:02 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

My bad for not clocking the year on the post.

I think it would be hilarious though, the way some games end.  The Terran Alliance looked totally defeated until they blew up all their enemies' star systems with Terror Stars in one turn.  The End.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000969   Page Render Time: