Sample Ship models and Textures

Have fun with a in game modle, and everything that went into makeing it.

By on February 27, 2006 4:14:06 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums External Link

mormegil

Join Date 03/2001
+40
This file contains:
1) 3D Studio Max file of the hull and the extras.
2) CorelDraw File of the of the Texture, with mutable layers.
3) PSD File of the Texture (Created form the Corel File, Not everyone uses corel
4) The final texture maps, used in game, diffuse, light and Normal map.

I am working on detailed tutorials on making models and textures for the game, but for now this will hopefully help people out.

http://library.galciv2.com/index.aspx?m=23
40 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 27, 2006 9:09:05 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Thanks! This should be pretty useful.
February 27, 2006 9:17:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Wow! Thanks a bunch! Can't wait to look at it!
March 1, 2006 12:51:19 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
Thanks!!!
March 3, 2006 1:40:55 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Could the texture file be saved as an EPS file, and therefore availiable in vector format to both CorelDraw and Adobe Illustrator users?
March 3, 2006 3:32:59 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Hello!

Is it possible to install this stuff?

Thorrbert
March 3, 2006 8:15:29 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Is, erm... uh... 3D Studio Max free?
March 3, 2006 10:03:30 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I dont thing the Corel File would work to well converted to Illustrator. You are welcome to try. But I think it would mess up the transparancys.

The files are realy just exampes to let you know what 3 textures are used for the game, and how I made them.
March 4, 2006 12:27:30 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Is, erm... uh... 3D Studio Max free?

Not legally. Blender is, but its user interface can be a real pain to learn at first.
March 4, 2006 9:35:14 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
If you want a free modeler, I highly recommend Anim8or. Its the best and easiest to understand program I've ever used. Link

March 5, 2006 1:08:59 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Governor mormegil, I am very much looking forward to your tutorial. I have made a lot of ship models but I am a little confused on how the game handles textures and what programs I should be using to make some of the texture files (such as .dds).
March 5, 2006 10:56:21 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
The game will use .png for textures, it will convert them to DDS on the fly, we include the DDS becuse we can contol the compression better that way. But you dont have to include the DDS.

ATI and nVidia both make free dds converters.
March 5, 2006 7:44:13 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Hey, thanks, guys!!!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to create a Freespace 2 mod for Galciv2... /evil laugh/

Bow down before the shivans, and prepare to be evicerated!
March 10, 2006 3:28:34 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
3D Studio Max is a $3,500 program. Maya costs even more. I'd love to fiddle around with adding new models to the game, but I'm not going to spend over three grand for the software.

Are there any other options for someone who just wants to mess around, not sell their mods for a million dollars?
March 12, 2006 9:07:31 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Could someone tell me, perchance, what is used for the hardpoints and engines? i.e. is it null points, dummy objects, etc? I can't actually view the sample files as I have max 4.2, which doesn't have support for either that format of max file or X files (3d exploration can view the .x, but it doesn't show information on the types of control objects used).

Cheers.
March 12, 2006 1:12:14 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums
The hardpoints are dummy-type Helper objects, found on the helper tab of the create palette in 3dsm, though I don't know if that's the same in 4.
March 12, 2006 1:37:08 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
The hardpoints are dummy-type Helper objects, found on the helper tab of the create palette in 3dsm, though I don't know if that's the same in 4.

Yep, it is (in 4.2); thanks

I shall have to have a pop converting some of my older models, methinks.
March 13, 2006 4:05:07 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I have a problem with places dummy objects and my models. I can place dummys on the model and it in the game integrate.I would like to attach weapons or a drive now for example.I select the drive or weapon, if I click him to the dummy
now,my model is to seen no more .
I see only the drive was inserted and can also attach nothing more,because this ship with dummys no more is to seen.
Where is the problem,can someone help?
March 13, 2006 7:37:22 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
make sure you set the exporter to 'export root frame only' instead of exporting frames per objects, at least that's what fixed the disapearing ship for me.

also watch the rotation on the dummys, the rotating helpers in game need a certian alignment ot make sense
March 13, 2006 8:54:05 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I think the rotation of the dummies is debt.I have 10 dummys on my model now and 4 can I something attach.
By the 4 functioning dummys the red arrow shows forward.The other 6 the arrow shows downward, there then the error.Why the arrows become differently indicated in the game? In 3ds max if I put on a dummy, that is a Cube, there gives it however no directional marker.How I can change the rotation of the dummies in 3ds max
March 14, 2006 11:17:42 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
3D Studio Max is a $3,500 program. Maya costs even more. I'd love to fiddle around with adding new models to the game, but I'm not going to spend over three grand for the software.

Are there any other options for someone who just wants to mess around, not sell their mods for a million dollars? ]

A single user license for Maya costs much less than 3ds max, just FYI.

There are many excellent free or low cost options for 3d modelling. The tricky part comes with the Direct X export. (How you would get it into the game). I dont think any package has native dX export, and only some of them have third party options for it.

Theres Blender which is the poor mans game modding tool :
Link

Its free, and I think may have a Direct x export feature floating around somewhere (its open source, so likely somone has wanted to do it).

For an excellent Free sub D Box modeller, theres Wings3d:

Link

For the price ( or really any price), its quite excellent in what it does. Even though Ive got much higher end software availible to me, Im not above knocking simpler stuff out , or spot modelling for some functions in Wings for its ease and accesibility.

And speaking of ease and accesibility for dedicated modelling, Silo 3d is not free, but its cheap, and very excellent. Its very rare youll see me do the bulk of any modelling in a high end animation package anymore. Silo is my first choice for most utility work:

Link

again though, the rub comes down to the direct x export. Your most reliable options for that remain Max and Maya, as they are the only progs that are supported by the official MS dX SDK for export functions (which, snce theyre owned by the same company now, raises legitimate anti-trust questions, IMO, but what do I know).

Hope this is helpful to some people

March 15, 2006 12:22:56 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Well, I still have Problem that the textures are working in the game.

The siurce is a 3ds model and the texture is a bitmap file.
For converting the files I use "3ds Max 8" Trial Version with the "Panda Plugin".

The Problem is that the textures ara shown in a wrong way.

I alos used a "3d view tool" from direct x to see if the modekl and the textures got "damaged" by the conversion, but they are o.k. I can also watch all the other *.x-files from the game, so that "view-tool" helps.

I rename the files to: S0_Tiny_1.x (well, not the x because teh extension is already there)
and the textures to s0_tiny_1 (its a png, of course!)
And I copy them to the Folder "Models" to repalce the Files for the "tiny-hull"
All what works is the model itsels, the textures are just looking "weird".

So I don't have a clue what I am doing wrong.

Please Help!
March 15, 2006 12:56:24 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I rename the textures to s0_tiny_1 (its a png, of course!)

Rename only the x.-file to S0_Tiny_1.x
Do not change the texture name !!!
March 15, 2006 8:16:35 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Rename only the x.-file to S0_Tiny_1.x
Do not change the texture name !!!

Hello!

o.k. I also tried this Insctruction by keeping the name of the texturename. But still no succsess.
I maybe ask much, but could you write what Option you have ACTIVATE in your pandaplugin?
March 16, 2006 3:19:44 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I have not change the options of pandaplugin,except texture save as png.Everything is default .
March 16, 2006 7:17:46 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

And speaking of ease and accesibility for dedicated modelling, Silo 3d is not free, but its cheap, and very excellent. Its very rare youll see me do the bulk of any modelling in a high end animation package anymore. Silo is my first choice for most utility work:
again though, the rub comes down to the direct x export.

Thanks for all that info, Bingjack!

This is a quote from the Silo web page:

Will Silo work with other 3D graphics programs? Silo imports 3ds, obj, fact, and dxf files and exports 3ds, obj, fact, dxf, rib, and pov files, allowing you to import and export your models for use with most major 3D applications. Our plugin architecture allows other file format support to be seamlessly integrated. Additionally, Silo's sia format is easy to parse for those who wish to write their own import filters for Silo files.

Is a dxf file that direct x export you're talking about?  Or is that a different format?  In other words, if a package supports direct x export, will it just say that, or is that a specific extension, like "dxf"?

Thanks for your help!  Silo looks very interesting; I may pick that up even if it can't be used in GalCiv II...The only other 3D software I've used is Bryce.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000968   Page Render Time: