I am totaly against collapsing specializations. And if they are added in I will mod them out.
1. It makes no sense in the game: It is supposed to be research, there's no justification for it. Even racial techs are borderline here, but it is passable that a race is more inclined to reaserach specific things and that other techs are taboo or go against their nature.
2. Specialization is already implemented in the sense that I choose what to reasearch. Forever forgeting other options is too ad-hoc and does not fit the 4x genre/
3. Clean up: picking up the specializations I left behind in the early game helps with cleaning up/ the exterminate phase.
4. Explain to me how can I choose all ideologies at the same time including good/evil and not have the ability to reasearch all paths of knowledge. Totaly absurd.
5. Locking out permanent planetary colony efficiency techs, for extreme worlds or even empire wide bonuses makes me wanna cry.
6. Locking out treaties and trade types makes me wanna cry.
1. Have just the linked specializations increase in cost by a large specialization multiplier. This combined with the tree increasing cost should balance it and make it hard.
2. Have specialization slots that you can reasearch only once per tech branch per categoty. The player selects one and the rest are pushed onwards on the next slot. Once all the brach/tree is researched then the player can research the skipped techs at the end of the game ala MOO future tech.
and by the way stardock, where are future techs? you did implement them on Elemental but you left them out on GC 3? Why?