I'm confused. What is the point of a research center if they do not contribute to research when you focus on research? What do you mean by "base funded"? I have 2 factories generating, whatever, 6 mp a piece for 12 total, and two basic labs at 4 tp a piece, for 8 total. Sliders are set to 33/33/34. Now I know from reading threads here that setting your sliders this way makes your labs operate at 1/3 capacity. So rounding I get 3 tp from the labs total. I focus on research, so I get, by your values, 25% of 12 from the factories, or 3, 80% of that or, rounding, 2, and stick that on research, for a total of 5 tp total on research. In this case the basic labs contribute 60% of total output.
Well, the numbers you've given me are actually too low to work with.
12 industry times 33% funding equals 4 industry for both social and military. Taking 25% of this we get 1 from each of them, which is then multiplied by 80% for 0.8, which gets truncated (social and military values are fed to research separately, at last check, so they truncate before they add). Additionally, 33% funding of 8 research gives you 2.67, which truncates to 2. You're getting 2 research from your labs, and none from focusing. In this scenario, if you simply had your military funded at 50% and your social funded at 50%, each would focus 1.2 over to research, which would give you the same 2 research output that you have now.
Granted, you will notice some difference, because you either have a 14 industry/14 research initial colony (TA version) or a 24 industry/24 research civilization capital.
The problem with focusing on research when you have labs is that, in general, you will have less social and military to focus from, both due to not having as many (if any) industry buildings, as well as generally having them funded less. As you can see from the above numbers, running everything equally doesn't necessarily grant you any kind of advantage, either.
If we run the numbers with 100 industry and 100 research (to make things easy), at equal funding, we have the following:
33 research from labs
6 research from focused social
6 research from focused military
For a total of 42 research. We can achieve this in our example by running research at 42%, and by splitting the remaining 58% evenly to military and social, we get 29 industry in each as opposed to 24 above. We could even do 58% research, which is a 38% increase over our above numbers, if we were comfortable with having 24 social and 24 military.
The bottom line is this, if you're going to focus:
-If you have primarily labs, focus on military or social (whichever one you need).
-If you have primarily factories, focus on research.
-If you have anything approximating equality, fund intelligently and only focus on planets that need it.