when I played my first two TA games, I noticed the following things which could be improved IMHO (some may be already posted elsewhere (constant dripping ...
; and if some of the following things are already possible don't hesitate to tell my ignorant self
- make it possible to launch a colonizer / transport with 1 pop by one click ("launch empty" button or something like that)
- make it possible to switch through all spotted enemy ships (on larger maps I lose track of them sometimes) or perhaps put in a minimap option "show only enemy ships"
- improve the auto survey / auto explore mode; now, if I have two or more scouts that are closely together and I order them to auto explore, they end up going to the same spot (and if they have the same speed they are likely to stick together ...)
- implement an option "patrol current sector" (like in GC I IIRC)
- improve the auto mine option; perhaps make a second auto mine option that says "auto mine in own territory only"
- make it possible to recall the turn report again after you closed it (those icons on the right are no substitute for that)
- don't show GNN news of races yet unknown to you
- influence mini view (that bar right from the research / income panel on the left) should only show known races
- ownership on mini map should only show known races
- don't make always the evil choice of random events the best one (that one was mentioned by a lot of people already; but according to what I read that seems even by modding difficult to impossible to implement)
- make it possible to see the coordinates of a single tile on the map so that one can make sense of the destination informations of enemy ships (the dashed line to the destination is not shown if you have not enough spy information, but the coordinates are often, at least on enemy fleets)
- make it possible to give custom icons to ship types (just make it an option in the ship designer so that you can assign a custom icon there prior to saving; if you don't assign one, the standard icon will be used; if a larger set of icons to choose from would be included in the game, even better
); I find it a bit confusing on larger maps if there are for example only two different icons for attack ships
- implement a build queue for ships; later in the game I constantly switch between transports and other ships because when the pop has reached its maximum then I always build a transport so as to not lose pop growth, and after that I switch back to constructors / war ships / whatever; so a rule "build transport if max pop is reached" would also be sufficient for me, but whether that would be less work than implementing a build queue ...
- calculate the route to a set destination in a straight line instead of always letting the ships go to the next straight or diagonal line directly leading to the destination; so it would be more difficult to anticipate the direction from which that endless stream of enemy ships targetting your precious resource star base is coming ...
- make it possible to assign colony rally points per ship type; as I already mentioned, I don't always produce the same ships per planet, so colony rally points are pointless (pun intended
) for me since transports should normally go somewhere else than constructors than war ships than scouts ...
- make the mouse scroll wheel working in the turn report (or is that just me?)
So, that's it - for the moment
And: thanks for a great game (although my alltime space conquest favorite is still MOO2; the one single issue I always had with the GC series was that it feels too sterile, too generic; perhaps partly because of the battle system that was assumably mostly designed with the AI in mind, in contrast to all those individual weapons possible in MOO2 (of which the AI there not ever could make good use, admittedly). At least with the different tech trees in TA that was alleviated to a certain degree.).