Can someone please tell me what Iran has done, exactly, to deserve being "nuked until they glow"?
1) Did Ahmadinejad say that all Jews must die, the Holocaust was a myth, destroy Israel, etc.? If you translate the original Parsi, what he said was very different, and not nearly as provocative. You can read more about that here: http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article14733.htm
2) Are they pursuing nuclear weapons? People keep accusing them of being a theocracy, which is true, but then, if they are a theocracy, and the theocrats who truly rule Iran (ie. not Ahmadinejad -- he has very little power, actually) have gone on record as being completely against having nuclear weapons, why do you think they would? I mean, they're saying that possessing such weapons goes against Islam. Think about that for a minute or two.
3) Has Iran actually invaded anyone? No, not in the modern era, despite what Danielost wants you to think (though I think he might have Iran and Iraq confused, judging by what he's written above... several times). Iran hasn't even threatened to invade or attack anyone, except as retaliation to an attack, which is well within their rights under the UN charter.
4) Has Iran been supplying Iraqi militias with weapons? There's no proof of this. A weapon being made in Iran does not necessarily imply that that weapon was given by the government. Think about all the American and Russian-made arms around the world that are still being used. Should we then invade or nuke Russia for this?
5) Does Iran have a right to develop nuclear power? Yes they do! It's their right under the NPT to develop nuclear power for peaceful purposes. Both the USA and Iran are signatories to the NPT. Strangely, Israel opted not
to become a signatory -- and they have tonnes of nuclear weapons. And they're threatening and attacking their neighbours, so why is nobody on their case?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_Non-Proliferation_Treaty
6) Is there proof that Iran has developed nuclear weapons? No! Even the CIA doesn't think they are pursuing them right now, nor does the IAEA. In fact, the head of the IAEA, El Baradei, just threatened to quit if Iran is attacked.
7) Does Iran have a legitimate reason for pursuing nuclear power? Yes! Even though they have a lot of oil, that won't last forever, and of course, oil isn't the best energy source for all needs. For those people who say that Iran has no legitimate reason because of their oil, I give you Canada, which also has a lot of oil, and also builds nuclear power plants (and exports them, too). You want to know another country that has just started pursuing nuclear power, with the blessings and assistance
of the USA? Saudi Arabia. And believe me, they have oil.
8) Is Ahmadinejad a dictator? No. In fact, he was elected. A lot of Iranians can't stand the guy. And the prime minister before him, Khatami, was actually quite moderate and liberal, relatively speaking. Don't judge the entire country of Iran because their leader is a bit of an idiot.
9) Should Iran pay for the crimes that were committed back in the 70's? Do the youth of Iran deserve to die a fiery death for things that happened so far in the past? (Most of Iran is very young, by the way -- the average age is in the 20's, IIRC). The hostage incident happened a long time ago. Isn't it about time we moved on?
Really, people, just because we all spend time framing the Thalans, invading and slaughtering the Torians, and sporing the crap out of the Iconians, do we really need to do the same in real life? Stick to video games, where your violent urges won't actually get any innocent people killed, mmkay?