For quite some time I had an issue with planetary production: how it works and how it's actually charged. For testing I used recent DA 1.6 beta3. Here are the results. Please note the actual amount of production and research varies with the spending slider seting, and mil/soc/research sliders settings. All calculations seem to be rounded down. Basic method of output calculation is:
output = ( base production (factories, labs) * Research
sum of buildings' bonuses (capitals, power plants...) +
points from focus +
points from asteroid mines )
sum of other bonuses (abilities, starbases...).
- Research buildings give base research. Bonus tiles just add stated bonus to base research of building on that tile.
- Tech Capital, Omega Research Center and Research Coordination Center add stated percent of research to base research.
- Points from focus
are added to base research.
- Player pays full amount of base research.
- Colonization event that enhances research, production-enhancing modules on starbases, mining research resources, initial race abilities and various technologies add stated percentage of bonus research to base research. Player pays only half of that bonus. The payment goes from treasury and is not visible on planet mgmt. screen.
- Research on planets with Extreme environments is not penalized.
- bug: planets with rings DO NOT give any research bonus. It is displayed in planet details, but not given.
- glitch: research pane shows only base research, not the actual one with bonuses. Manufacturing
- Factories give base production. Bonus tiles just add their stated bonus to the base production of the building on that tile.
- Manufacturing Capital and various power plants add the stated percent of production to base production.
- The Artificial Slave Center (evil-only tech) adds 50% to base military production, bonus not shown anywhere.
- Production points from asteroid mines
are added to base production. Points are calculated for each asteroid field separately and rounded down.
- Production points from focus
are added to base production.
- If these production points are not used in social queue (unused social production
), they are transferred to military queue.
- If this production is used, then the player pays full amount for it.
- Various other bonuses
(the colonization event that enhances production, moon, production-enhancing modules on starbases, initial race abilities and various technologies) add their stated percentage of bonus production to base production. The player pays only half of that bonus. The payment is subtracted from the treasury and is not visible on the planet management screen.
- Excess military production
(production over price of the ship - e.g. ship costs 40MP, planet produces 200MPs, so excess is 160MP) is lost, but player still PAYS for it.
- When a ship is bought
on a planet, it will be available in the next turn. However all military production on that planet will be wasted (no new ship build, but player will still pay for that production).
- Production on planets with Extreme environments
is penalized: if player knows only one half of the extreme tech, a planet's production is halved. If player doesn't have ANY knowledge of planet's environment (he invaded or bought the planet), factories and asteroid mines don't give any production (100% penality). BTW that's also the only penality that planet suffers - research, influence, taxes and pop growth are normal.Focus
- When a player sets focus on research
, that field takes 1/4 of base production from other two fields, and adds that amount to whatever it already has. After that it adds to the new amount all bonuses the planet and race has in that field.
- When a player sets focus on social or military production
, that field takes 1/4 of base research and 1/2 from the other production field, and adds that amount to whatever it already has. After that it adds to the new amount all bonuses the planet and race has in that field.
- focus DOES NOT transfer the bonus from the Artificial Slave Center to other fields.
- focus transfers 1/4 production points from asteroid mines to research. Discovered by drrider
in reply #37: "However the amount of point production from the mines is proportional to the combined military and social slider positions, with fractions rounded down, just as if they were factories. So there has to be SOME industrial production programmed in order for the mines to actually produce anything
- on planets with penalities from extreme environments focus still transfers 1/4 of research points into production.
- glitch discovered by Dog of Justice: Tech Capital, Omega Research Center and Research Coordination Center DO NOT add more production points when focus is set on production.