A few things that I'd like to comment / ask questions on about what happens before and after battle:
1. When AI threatens me (extorts money/tech) from me to "let me live", I don't see where I can do this right back at them. Sometimes I'm not that interested in going after a weaker opponent, but want to keep them in their place & make some $$ off them. How can I do that?
2. When the AI attacks me, it's so nice that they give me warning. It's always 2-5 turns in advance of when ships will start arriving, giving me time to prepare and defend. This seems counter-productive. I mean, why give me a warning? If they're going to give me a warning, then I should have to give them one. But I don't see where I can.
3. How to stop the AI from going to war with you when they "misread" the situation. I was preparing to attaack the strongest AI player in a Tough game and another nearby AI decided that all my transport ships were meant for them, so he declared war. I'd really like a way to assuage them that this is not the case. FFS, the ships weren't even close to any of his planets (and the AI whose planets I was going to attack didn't utter a peep)
4. This whole "I give up and am getting even by surrendering to another AI" is stupid! This frustrates me to no end. I mean, I've got the upper hand and they give their planets to an AI that I really don't want to tackle at the moment. I had this happen again & again throughout a game and it got really old. The game needs to be changed so they either surrender to me, or die trying.
5. If an AI attacks me and I am playing defensively, why does it surrender when I never attacked it? Or worse (see #4), it gives it's planets to another race???
6. When a battle is going badly, the AI will ask what will it take to end the war. It basically offers up all the tech it has and I can take all I want (unreal on how much it is willing to give up), but nothing prevents me from back-stabbing them after getting all this tech and continuing the battle anyway. There should be a minimum # of turns before you can attack again.