Legendary Heroes - Monday news

By on March 4, 2013 8:47:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1078

Greetings!

Memory is remembered

Last week we discussed that we really wanted Legendary Heroes to support 32-bit for the new "Huge" size maps but the current FE/LH builds couldn't do it.  So I agreed to spend the weekend going through the code to see what I could optimize.

I'm pleased to say that enough optimization was done that LH users will be able to play on the new huge maps. But if you play it on a 32-bit machine, it'll pop up a warning since it's going to be very very tight still.

Soren Stuff

My mention that Soren had joined us got a lot more attention than I thought.  I saw some people suggest that he'd be working on Legendary Heroes.  I wish I could say that is the case but the things that game designers work on today won't show up until far into the future. For example, Jon spent about 2 years full-time before becoming a consultant working on things that won't see light of day until mid 2014.  In Soren's case, he's consulting with us to help on the design of several projects which won't see the light of day for some time.

When I talk to people who want to get into the games industry, I often have to warn them that it can be a long journey. When I am working on the game-stuff here, it's mostly on stuff that won't be released until (Best case) 1Q2015 and that's assuming no delays.  

Gotta Team up Good People

This is probably an odd thing to say, particularly publicly, but Elemental was probably the single best thing that has ever happened to Stardock's games unit.  It certainly didn't seem that way at the time. But War of Magic exposed so many deep issues in the way we were approaching game development that it forced us to change.  To be honest, we should have changed the way we were making games after Galactic Civilizations II (2006) when we had moved beyond having tiny game teams.  

If you load up a Stardock developed or published game in 2012 and compare it with what had come out before, it's night and day. The quality of our games is so much better now thanks largely to bringing in people like Derek Paxton, Chris Bray, Jon Shafer and others.  They have positions at Stardock that literally didn't exist until after 2010.  The quality of Fallen Enchantress and Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion (which was a coding/design team-up between Ironclad and Stardock) is just something we're very proud of.  Suffice to say, we have a real appreciation to what dedicated game designers can do for a game.

Fallen Enchantress going forward

If you've played FE 1.3, you may have noticed some of the new features such as champion recruitment cost changes and the Majesty spell. These represent a true fork in the road in support between it and Legendary Heroes where champion recruitment is fame based and city growth based on food supply.  The point being, as long as there's strong demand for FE updates, we plan to keep doing so (strong demand to be understood as not 1 guy on the forums 4 years ago demanding us to update it to support their holographic iWatch display but rather a significant number of people playing the game).

So FE will continue to evolve down its own road for the foreseeable future and Legendary Heroes will go down its path.

Legendary Heroes first looks

I'm going to try to get some videos up this week. We have a pretty huge Windows 8 app coming out this week that's eating up a lot of our time.  But the first thing you'll notice about LH, I think is that it is drastically better looking. 

Stay tuned!

39 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 4, 2013 9:25:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What? There's a Holographic iWatch? When ARE  you going to support it?

http://technorati.com/technology/article/concept-video-could-this-be-a/

Seriously, the dynamics are a lot different between a small team and a large team, I've seen the organization I'm in grow from an IT staff of 6 to one of about 80 now I think, and I've seen the growing pains that aren't obvious until someone slaps you in the face with a dead fish.

Looking forward to LH,

Ralph

March 4, 2013 9:28:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Cool Beans... Looking forward to it.

P.S.  Are we in for some naval treats at all with L.H.

March 4, 2013 10:22:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
Soren already has a watch in a PC game (Civ), so which designer gets a watch in Legendary heroes?
March 4, 2013 10:28:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Greetings!

Memory is remembered

Last week we discussed that we really wanted Legendary Heroes to support 32-bit for the new "Huge" size maps but the current FE/LH builds couldn't do it.  So I agreed to spend the weekend going through the code to see what I could optimize.

Excellent news. My wife and I hope to purchase a 64-bit Win7 loaded desktop later this year, but finances are tight at the moment. So the 32-bit support for huge maps is very welcome.

March 4, 2013 10:59:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the update.   Any update on the timing for the start of the LH beta?

March 5, 2013 1:55:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My guess is that the beta will be released on 3/12/2013, simultaneously with Heart of the Swarm.

This confluence of events will answer the fundamental question "Would you rather see Kerrigan's storyline progression or be a part of the early feedback for a promising turn based strategy game?"

March 5, 2013 10:04:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"So FE will continue to evolve down its own road for the foreseeable future and Legendary Heroes will go down its path."

Could that mean you release more modding tools for FE and let people play around with more game mechanics then is currently possible?

It would be great to have a monster builder/editor similar to the troop designer and let us introduce new creatures/races etc w/o having the brainpower/dedication of the FE Super Modders (you know who you are).

March 5, 2013 10:12:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How the fuck did I miss that Soren joined Stardock?  That's great.

March 5, 2013 10:46:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Stupidly excited over the beta, cant wait for some previews.

March 5, 2013 10:57:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have been playing with 27 AIs on Huge maps (mod). I wonder how large LH will be in comparison?

March 5, 2013 11:24:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm so ready for LH I can't even boot FE.  The champion fix is #1 in my book.

Question: Since you have better control over champion population in LH will you do away with the xp split when grouping champions?

Hidden mechanics are bad IMHO.

tl/dr  Really? It's only 3 lines.  Try again, you can do it.

March 5, 2013 3:07:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

lol,

pictures or stfu?

While being bored waiting, check this out (demo is there)

http://forums.elementalgame.com/440906

March 5, 2013 3:14:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,

How the fuck did I miss that Soren joined Stardock?  That's great.

It's only for a limited time. He just left Zygna and we've been wanting to work together for awhile. So while he plans his next moves, he's helping us on a host of new games.  But yes, we are very lucky to have him even if it's only for a few months.

March 5, 2013 4:31:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Didn't Brian Reynold's just leave Zynga too? He ain't got shit to do, he probably needs a job, get him working on Alpha Centauri 2 and then just change the name so nobody get's sued.

March 5, 2013 5:01:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,

Didn't Brian Reynold's just leave Zynga too? He ain't got shit to do, he probably needs a job, get him working on Alpha Centauri 2 and then just change the name so nobody get's sued.

Heh. Great game; I'd love that. "Beta Centauri, a game by Reynold Brians." I'd snap it up in a second. Still have the original (and its expansion) on my main computer.

March 5, 2013 6:39:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,

Bring it!

March 5, 2013 9:02:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the great update. Looking forward to Legendary Heroes and more FE goodness in the future. Interested to hear more on the those "in the future" projects as well.   

March 7, 2013 5:50:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Soren should be calling all the shots imo. He is a legend.

I like FFH, and really enjoyed playing it. It was great and Kael seems like a nice/smart guy, but Soren Johnson is the Michelangelo/ Da Vinci of game design. He was lead designer of Civ 4.

Frogboy. you yourself have designed a good game before with Gal Civ 2, though tbh you did dud it up to the max with the original Elemental. As someone who was once a successful and competent game designer you should recognize brilliance when you see it and hand Soren the keys to the company.

March 7, 2013 6:21:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting WaitingOnTheGame,

Frogboy. you yourself have designed a good game before with Gal Civ 2, though tbh you did dud it up to the max with the original Elemental. As someone who was once a successful and competent game designer you should recognize brilliance when you see it and hand Soren the keys to the company.

Now, I consider myself a pretty laidback guy, but that's just plain disgusting. Were you raised by wolves, to drop kick with a shrug a games designer in a "oh well, he's a has-been" way? Brad wasn't a "competent" game designer. He has done a considerable number of good games over the years on an indie's budget, and only had *one* dud. Which means according to you, I guess, that he's washed up. Have you really compared the number of excellent titles Soren and Brad have worked on? And even leaving that to one side, why do you feel it necessary to raise one up at the expense of the other?

March 7, 2013 6:35:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Soren should be calling all the shots imo. He is a legend.

I like FFH, and really enjoyed playing it. It was great and Kael seems like a nice/smart guy, but Soren Johnson is the Michelangelo/ Da Vinci of game design. He was lead designer of Civ 4.

Wow...what a dickhead statement.

March 7, 2013 6:50:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Jesus Christ dude, that's just fucking rude.

March 7, 2013 6:52:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

obvious is obvious

March 7, 2013 8:02:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Waitingonthegame, I bet you makes tons of friends with this attitude of yours.

Learn to wise up, to be successful in life, this kind of comments will get you NO WHERE. 

March 7, 2013 8:23:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Odds are he's already a member on this site and has already commented disapproval.

He then made a troll account, hense "Waitingonthegame", and is starting to harrass.

March 7, 2013 9:29:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You have a point. From that perspective, his/her comments sound deliberately trollish, designed to provoke, rather than just plain stupid.

Either way, the person's not going to be here for long.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000437   Page Render Time: