Anyone want to buy the Homeworld Franchise?

By on February 27, 2013 3:53:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums External Link

jackswift85

Join Date 01/2009
+21

The good folks over at Space Sector have a nice article regarding the upcoming auction of THQ assets, namely Homeworld and Homeworld 2 in the same item.

All you would need is:

Interested bidders must provide: 1) complete identification, including the names of corporate officers or those authorized to act on the bidder’s behalf; 2) written evidence of authority to enter into the anticipated transaction; and 3) proof of financial ability to perform the contemplated transaction. Only those bidders who meet all three requirements will be provided access to confidential information about each lot of titles once a non-disclosure agreement has been executed. Documentation meeting these three requirements should be sent to auction@thq.com.

From kotaku

Well, does anybody want to make Homeworld 3?

28 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 27, 2013 3:56:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oops, didn't see that other post that already has this stuff in it. Just have to find the delete button now.

February 27, 2013 6:33:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Spread the word, those of us that have deep pockets, (I'm not one unfortunately), need to know so get your monies ready Apr 1st, this not an April Fool joke...

February 27, 2013 11:42:35 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I would come out of modeling retirement for this. As long as whoever make it does NOT use Maya, or Softimage.

If i had the cash in my back pocket i would jump on this in a new york minute. Then hunt down all who worked on Homeworld 1.

To be honest i think Stardock should jump on this one. Though it is not a large company i think they have the resources to pull off a new HW installment.

February 28, 2013 12:28:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Homeworld 1 & 2 are on the same lot for bidding...

Homeworld’s For Sale, And Supreme Commander Too

By Alec Meer on February 27th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

When Sega plucked Relic from the ashes of THQ last month, it appears they didn’t get the Homeworld license along with it. So for now the sublime space RTS series remains without a home, in an odd case of life imitating art. The Homeworld IP is now up for sale in an auction of THQ’s remaining stuff – as is the likes of Supreme Commander, Red Faction, Darksiders, Titan Quest, Full Spectrum Warrior and a whole host of names known and forgotten.

It’s a sad business, and while I’m sometimes no fan of sequel culture, the concept of some of these once-great names simply ceasing to be is not a happy one. Hopefully non-exploitative, non-cynical buyers can be found for the main stuff. Wouldn’t it be nice (and not exactly implausible, given the publisher’s increasing PC-focus) if Sega did scoop up Homeworld, and reunite it with its creators? Or perhaps Gas Powered Games’ new owners Wargaming.net could salvage SupCom.

We’ll find out the fate of these names, all being well, in May. Highest bidder for each of the below lots takes ‘em home. If you are a rich person or company interested in acquiring any of ‘em, you’ve got until the first of April to declare your intentions and proffered monies to auction@thq.com.

Here’s the complete list of what’s up for sale. Godspeed, brave videogame franchises.

Lot 1 – OWNED SOFTWARE

Red Faction   Red Faction Armageddon
Red Faction 2   Red Faction: Guerrilla

Lot 2 – OWNED SOFTWARE

Homeworld   Homeworld 2

Lot 3 – OWNED SOFTWARE

MX Alive   MX vs ATV Untamed
MX Superfly featuring Ricky Carmichael   MX vs. ATV Alive Tournament
MX Unleashed   MX vs. ATV Unleashed
MX vs ATV Reflex   MX vs. ATV: On The Edge

Lot 4 – OWNED SOFTWARE

Darksiders   Darksiders 2

Lot 5 – OWNED SOFTWARE

All Star Cheer Squad   Elements of Destruction
All Star Cheer Squad 2   Fantastic Pets
All Star Karate   Frontlines: Fuel of War
Baja: Edge of Control   Full Spectrum Warrior 1
Battle of the Bands   Full Spectrum Warrior 2: Ten Hammers
Beat City   Juiced
Big Beach Sports   Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights
Big Beach Sports 2   Lock’s Quest: Construction Combat
Big Family Games   Neighborhood Games
Crawler   Pax Imperia
de Blob   Stuntman: Ignition
de Blob 2   Summoner
Deadly Creatures   Summoner 2
Deep Six   Terranium
Destroy All Humans!   The Outfit
Destroy All Humans! 2   Titan Quest
Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed   Titan Quest: Immortal Throne
Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon   uDraw
Dood’s Big Adventure   World of Zoo
Drawn to Life    
Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter    

Lot 6 – LICENSED SOFTWARE

Costume Quest   Scripps Spelling Bee (Scripps)
Daniel X (SueJack)   Sherlock Holmes and the Mystery of Osborne House
Deepak Chopra’s Leela (Curious Holdings)   Stacking
Fancy Nancy: Tea Party Time! (Harper Collins)   Supreme Commander
Jeopardy   Supreme Commander Forged Alliance
Jeopardy 2   The Biggest Loser
Journey to the Center of the Earth   Truth or Lies
Let’s Ride Best of Breed   Vampire Legends: Power of Three (dtp)
Marvel Super Hero Squad: Comic Combat   Wheel of Fortune
Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet   Wheel of Fortune 2
Marvel Super Hero Squad: The Infinity Gauntlet 2   World of Zoo
Nancy Drew: The Hidden Staircase   Worms 2
Nexuiz   Worms Battle Islands
Paws & Claws Marine Rescue   Worms Open Warfare
Paws & Claws Pampered Pets Resort 3D   Worms: A Space Oddity
PurrPals 2   Worms: Open Warfare 2 (Team 17)
Rio   You Don’t Know Jack (Jellyvision)
Rocket Riot    
Screwjumper (Frozen Codebase)

February 28, 2013 12:55:05 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quick!  Someone jump over to kickstart and launch this as a grass roots project!

February 28, 2013 11:58:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Homeworld and Supreme Commander deserve good homes. So would I, Major Stress, so would I.

March 5, 2013 5:48:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Howeworld is not a game that would succeed today. Why? Because it's in real 3D. Remember how you entered coordinates for movement in Homeworld 1, by first inputting horizontal movement, then adding vertical? Not something casual users would do. And how you gonna control it via a gamepad on your trusty console? And all those microscopic letters, and all the numbers, and radar blips?

Nono, for today's market, everything has to be big, colorful, stupid and easy. XCOM paved the way. 

That's why nobody rushes to buy the IP. NO QUICK CASH IN THIS!

March 5, 2013 8:39:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I disagree.

March 5, 2013 8:53:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, if it has to be big, colorful, stupid and easy, then obviously that rules FE out.

March 5, 2013 3:12:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

who bought it?

March 5, 2013 6:35:33 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

No one, the auction is 4/1/13 and the results will not be made public til May...

Quoting G_Bison,
first of April to declare your intentions and proffered monies to auction@thq.com.

Quoting G_Bison,
We’ll find out the fate of these names, all being well, in May.

March 6, 2013 1:49:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Gonna go off topic quickly but if you ever wanted Homeworld 2 (mod) miniatures go here- http://www.fate-amenable-to-change.co.uk/index.html

March 6, 2013 6:17:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Stop drawing attention to the Homeworld IP, or EA buys it and makes it a trading card MMO with thousands of microtransactions.

March 6, 2013 1:43:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Don't Say THAT!   

March 11, 2013 5:00:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ha, I knew it! Not EA, but these guys:

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=139789

They will turn it into a mobile game.

March 11, 2013 1:34:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

OH NOW I remember the name of the other company- http://blackbirdinteractive.com/

These guys have many of the original crew that worked on Homeworld.

April 19, 2013 6:02:38 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Bidding Closed on Sale of Remaining THQ

Assets

17 bids received for Darksiders, Red Faction,

Homeworld and more.

Bidding has closed on the auction for the remaining intellectual property assets of THQ. As THQ confirmed in February, bids were received until April 15th for remaining assets including DarksidersRed FactionHomeworld and more, and sales are expected to be finalized by mid-May.

According to Polygon, court documents reveal that 17 final bids were received and are expected to bring in between $6-7 million. While the specific breakdown of bids and prices per property haven’t been disclosed, the documents do note that six different lots were up for auction (though we don't know whether all six lots received bids):

The identities of bidders haven’t been revealed, but we do know that Crytek planned to bid on Darksiders as of last month.

In a Kickstarter update yesterday, indie developer TeamPixel noted that “the auction for the Homeworld license ended April 15, 2013, and while we reached qualified bidder status for the bankruptcy auction, we were unable to raise the necessary funds to remain competitive against the other parties at the auction." Magicka publisher Paradox Interactive had the third-highest bid in the process, while Sins of a Solar Empire publisher Stardock had the second-highest. The identity of the winning bidder is still unknown.

Interestingly, court documents also reveal that the intellectual property and website of de Blob developer Blue Tongue Studios were purchased by "a holding company for water and solvent inks" for $15,000.

April 19, 2013 11:24:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nabdangit

plz don't let it be EA

April 20, 2013 12:29:10 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

If EA acquired it, expect a $60 a month Homeworld MMO with all of the worst aspects of an MMO (think warhammer online) :/

April 20, 2013 12:30:21 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Chibiabos,
plz don't let it be EA

Did some snooping and I think it's not EA or Ubisoft or Sega...

If it is true, I give a hint now. JS.

That's all I can reveal for now...

April 20, 2013 12:34:22 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting G_Bison,
We didn't get the Homeworld IP. We were the second highest bidder.

I've never played Homeworld, but that sucks. Maybe you'll luck out if the winner changes their mind or reassess their financial situation in light of recent setbacks *cough EA*. 

April 20, 2013 1:21:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Blackbird Interactive get it?

(JS... v0v I got nothing)

April 20, 2013 4:24:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Does Blackbird Interactive even have the money to bid for HW?

I don't expect the winner to be revealed for awhile to build up a hype. Then all of a sudden come up with HW3 for massive profits.

April 20, 2013 4:30:57 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Rovert10,

I didn't think a company needed money to bid, just borrow and spend and lose what you like, then ask Obama for a bail out. 

April 20, 2013 10:47:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Hawawaa,
Blackbird Interactive get it?

Nah, they are currently working on this...

Quoting Rovert10,

No clue but I think they did not participate in the bidding...

Quoting Hawawaa,
(JS... v0v I got nothing)

Like I said, I really want to say, but I could be wrong. Don't want to spread rumors and of course, the reveal. As far as the initials, he is well known as has a impressive pedigree in terms of RTS's. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001484   Page Render Time: