Galactic Civilizations II: Still the best space strategy game out there!

By on July 22, 2012 8:10:16 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1109

While the Drengin Empire may hate you, your pets and your hair cut, we at Stardock love you and thank you for your continuing support with Galactic Civilizations.  We look forward to continuing this saga someday in the future!

26 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 22, 2012 9:23:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Doing almost as well as Ys Origins was earlier this week. Pretty good!

July 25, 2012 8:25:25 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Actually at one point, when it was 75% off, it was the 3rd most sold game on Steam.

Hey Brad maybe when you have a weekend away from Fallen Enchantress you could quickly put together a patch for GalCiv, you know it needs it! Small things like wrong technology categories, too low AI values for some techs, and maybe teach the AI to make proper use of influence starbases. I'm sure you're also aware that the AI can only use the first 100 starbase modules in the file.

We still love this game and as you can see it still brings new customers. We deserve a 2.05 at least And you guys deserve all the credit for this most awesome game.

August 3, 2012 12:24:44 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Awesome - from the gameplay to the user interface to the stories/AIcharacters;  and for a recently released game relatively few bugs (less bugs than myself accidently mouse-clicking somewhere I didn't want to click).

August 6, 2012 3:25:33 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi Brad,

maybe GalCiv II still is (one of) the best strategy games out there. but "Endless Space" looks like a great successor. Usability and GUI wise they are doing a lot right. Looking forward to hear how GalCiv III will benefit from such competition

August 9, 2012 12:16:00 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting PHI_Spooky,
Looking forward to hear how GalCiv III will benefit from such competition

Here's the problem - now that they're all buddy-buddy with Valve, they've infected each other.  Steam now wants to market productivity software in addition to games, and Brad will not be able to release a 3rd game in a series.

August 9, 2012 11:27:25 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Aug 2012 and I just bought my first copy. So yes, new players are still arriving.

August 11, 2012 9:59:16 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Voxhumana,
Aug 2012 and I just bought my first copy. So yes, new players are still arriving.

So what's your first impression?

August 12, 2012 8:49:09 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Through the years more and more 4x games are released and I realized that GalCiv2 w/its expansions is still by far one of the best out there. Although there were some good games released, nothing has really compared to it. @Voxhumana man you been missing out, well I hope you are prepared for many sleepless nights.  

August 14, 2012 4:57:20 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Warspite,
Through the years more and more 4x games are released and I realized that GalCiv2 w/its expansions is still by far one of the best out there. Although there were some good games released, nothing has really compared to it. @Voxhumana man you been missing out, well I hope you are prepared for many sleepless nights.  

You are so right. While Endless Space (being hot news now) has potential and appeals to many people, it lacks the depth that GalCiv2 has. The more recent Legends of Pegasus, or the older Armada 2526, just make you appreciate GalCiv2 more.

August 14, 2012 12:19:03 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting bbr91,

Quoting Warspite, reply 9Through the years more and more 4x games are released and I realized that GalCiv2 w/its expansions is still by far one of the best out there. Although there were some good games released, nothing has really compared to it. @Voxhumana man you been missing out, well I hope you are prepared for many sleepless nights.  

You are so right. While Endless Space (being hot news now) has potential and appeals to many people, it lacks the depth that GalCiv2 has. The more recent Legends of Pegasus, or the older Armada 2526, just make you appreciate GalCiv2 more.

Agreed.  Around the same time that GalCiv II peaked, the Civilization series went off the rails.  This just cemented GC2 as pretty much the only one I played anymore.

August 18, 2012 10:55:27 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Utterly hooked. 

Quoting bbr91,

Quoting Voxhumana, reply 7Aug 2012 and I just bought my first copy. So yes, new players are still arriving.

So what's your first impression?

Utterly hooked. I was kinda disappointed with Civ5, so I'd been poking around to find something else worthwhile in the TBS genre. So I'm delighted because this is a superb game.

August 23, 2012 8:10:29 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

GalCiv is still one of the best. Other than this, I am also hooked on the Paradox games, so if you are looking for a new game to play try some of those from the series Europa Universalis, Victoria etc. Nice stuff.

August 26, 2012 3:48:33 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

From opening Post; "We look forward to continuing this saga someday in the future!"

From Reply #2: "We still love this game and as you can see it still brings new customers. We deserve a 2.05 at least "

From Reply #5: "Looking forward to hear how GalCiv III will benefit from such competition "

From Reply #6: "Here's the problem - now that they're all buddy-buddy with Valve, they've infected each other.  Steam now wants to market productivity software in addition to games, and Brad will not be able to release a 3rd game in a series."

How dissapointing...  Especially since the odds are that I shall probably remain an end user (and not part of a development team); forcing me to wait for what seems to be an eternity (not to mention an inprobability; but mentioning it anyway)... All in hopes that the features that deserve more attention and development will potentially be incorporated...

But Windows 2013 will probably arrive first and send GalCiv I & II to bit heaven (just like Outpost 1.5 and SpaceBucks).  Perhaps I should start playing the lottery: with any luck I'll win the funds necessary to...  Unfortunately, that's a dream as far fetched as my hoping for a Gal Civ III with true inter-planetary and inter-galactic trade: where resources and supply lines shape one's strategies; where ships don't exist before the technology to create them does; where research on more than one thing at a time can be conducted; as well as co-operative and competetive multi-player capabilities.

Ahhh dreams.

SK

September 1, 2012 8:27:59 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Yes! Paradox games! When you catch a Steam sale, get some, they're awesome. But only if you're into politics, diplomacy and grand strategy. They're pretty realistic, so conquering the world is not really a feasible goal. Their games cover every era from the Roman Republic to WW2. Definitely something to check out, but it's a completely different experience from GalCiv 2.

September 5, 2012 8:12:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Stohrm,

From Reply #6: "Here's the problem - now that they're all buddy-buddy with Valve, they've infected each other.  Steam now wants to market productivity software in addition to games, and Brad will not be able to release a 3rd game in a series."

How dissapointing...

Speaking for myself, my post was a joke. 

October 23, 2012 4:59:28 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Ive been here since GC came out, and although GC2 is good it still needs the polish that GC had, I really hope that a few polishing patches could be applied to GC2, Im playing Distant Worlds at present and although the AI needs a bit of tinkering is a really good example of what a 4x should be, if you like depth look no further, Endless Space is great to look at but once you have learnt the ropes it soon becomes boring, hence I still go back to play GC on the odd day.

I have heard about the problems with a GC3, could it not be side stepped by releasing a new expansion for GC2?

Darkspire

October 23, 2012 7:00:48 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Gal Civ 2 is brilliant, and I think it's better than Gal Civ.

October 23, 2012 8:28:12 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I've played a lot of strategy games, since Gal Civs II was released, but Gal Civs II is still one of the best games that I have ever played, and the game that inspired me to actually write books. Sure, I probably won't publish them because I use the universe of Gal Civs that Stardock created and I don't want to take anything from them. But I do love writing, and using the universe that I love is more than enough. 

Thanks, Stardock. I'm looking forward to a Gal Civs III if y'all decide to go that route. 

October 23, 2012 8:40:44 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

If you're not going to publish them, is there any reason to not post them online as a fanfic?

October 23, 2012 8:51:19 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Jythier,
If you're not going to publish them, is there any reason to not post them online as a fanfic?

You know, I just might. It takes place during Gal Civs, but in a way, it's an alternate reality (damned Thalan temporal technology). I've been establising the framework since I started writing my (badly written) first drafts and histories of the story back in middle school (2005-6). The story is finished, now I'm trying to type up the final book (with a lot of refinements from the written one, which was written back in '08). 

October 26, 2012 3:41:52 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Thank you Stardock for Gal Civ II

October 28, 2012 6:22:08 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hopefully GalCiv3 comes out soon and with hotseat multiplayer support this time around!

October 28, 2012 2:55:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Soon in the Valve space-time continuum, anyway.

October 28, 2012 3:08:02 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

lol...I've said it before, but I'm scared that now that Brad and Gabe are BFFs, that Brad will no longer be able to count to 3.

April 1, 2013 8:01:19 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Having spent hours playing Fallen Enchantress newest Beta and the awesome Sins Rebellion the past few days, today I feel like this 2013 Easter should be devoted to a good old GalCiv2 adventure. I still am pretty amazed by this game. Not only because I professionally work a lot with geographic information systems (and the game uses this tech to compute influence regions and such), but also because of the AI balance tweaks you can apply. Pretty impressive programming by Stardock. Are there rumours about a Release 3? Looking forward!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000515   Page Render Time: