Essential mods for fixing broken things

By on February 12, 2013 12:25:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

aigokeros

Join Date 02/2013

What mods community could recommend? Just to fix things that should be fixed. I'm not too fond of user-made additions, improvements, and things like "I thought this brand new deep crimson horned alien face should look fine" (nothing personal really ). There are a few mod links and discussions here so some advice from more experienced players required.

Thanks in advance.

9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 12, 2013 7:11:23 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

There's a mod called Altarn's Polished Twilight of the Arnor that fixes things but keep major changes to a minimum.

http://forums.galciv2.com/438776/page/2

February 13, 2013 10:20:41 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

look for Marvin Kosh's or Tolmekkian's Mods.  Both seem well considered by the community and show amazing perception in repairing as many details and issues as possible while preserving gameplay.

February 13, 2013 11:10:28 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting erischild,
look for Marvin Kosh's or Tolmekkian's Mods.  Both seem well considered by the community and show amazing perception in repairing as many details and issues as possible while preserving gameplay.

Both heavily modify the game, which is something the OP doesn't want. So does my own mod. I have to agree with iRedEarth, APT is the best option for a purist.

February 13, 2013 12:18:05 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

On the other hand, some of the changes that go beyond the original game experience also play well with the AI.  You lose nothing by trying each one to see which you like most.  Well, apart from raceconfig files, but it's relatively easy to back those up.

February 13, 2013 12:46:42 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Thanks a lot for your replies and advices. I'm also more inclined to APT (after having all three descriptions read) but there are many points and issues about APT in its thread

http://forums.galciv2.com/438776

February 14, 2013 9:07:51 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting aigokeros,
Thanks a lot for your replies and advices. I'm also more inclined to APT (after having all three descriptions read) but there are many points and issues about APT in its thread

http://forums.galciv2.com/438776

[/quote]

Most of these issues have been resolved in V1.2 and don't impact game play all that much.

April 16, 2013 10:14:43 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Hi there! I´m new here too, having bought GCII Ultimate Edition a couple of days ago (didn´t even try it yet, I want to finish my current Europa Universalis III playthrough first, but that´s a different story, lol!).

Great to see this game has such an active modding community! I don´t mean to hijack this thread, I came to look exactly for the same thing as the OP, that´s why I´m posting here. I´ll start with APT to get used to the game vanilla features, then I´ll begin to try a few other mods.

A little question, though. In every review I´ve read about GCII, the AI is highlighted as one of the best ever seen in a 4x game. With the problems TotA brought, is the AI still as top-notch as before? (obviously, after correcting the tech trees bugs).

Thanks!

April 16, 2013 11:40:36 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting gedierond,
With the problems TotA brought, is the AI still as top-notch as before? (obviously, after correcting the tech trees bugs).

Well, compared to Dark Avatar (the first expansion), it is a bit weaker. However, I still consider it one of the best 4x AIs out there. Mostly because it actually knows how to play the game and doesn't need cheats (like extra starting-units) to win. Sure, it makes mistakes from time to time, but, unless you're an expert player, it should still provide a good challenge.

April 16, 2013 1:31:45 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Great, thanks!

Been wanting to get into a sci-fi 4x game for quite a while. I played Sins of a Solar Empire, and I liked it, but couldn´t really get into it. I hope GCII delivers (it surely seems it will!)

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001297   Page Render Time: