Fantasy Strategy Game Visuals

By on April 11, 2012 5:33:50 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1116

Here are some screenshots of fantasy strategy games that I’ve played over the years (or ones I’m interested in). What is cool is how visually different they all are from one another.

Fallen Enchantress (beta):

War of Magic:

Fall from Heaven:

Warlock: Master of the Arcane (beta):

Heroes of Might and Magic VI:

Conquest of Elysium 3

Disciples 3: Renaissance

Age of Wonders 2: Shadow Magic:

Dominions 3:

Master of Magic:

69 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 12, 2012 11:53:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Magog_AoW,

Quoting Gandhialf, reply 7
Quoting Magog_AoW, reply 3If Triumph studios are working on AoW3 it will be interesting to see how they handle the transition to 3D.

Are there any clues that it is the case?

Some extremely vague clues. On their website they are looking for people who can do high fantasy art in 2D and 3D. Also, the original writer for AoW1 recently made an appearance on the forums, asking which AoW characters the fans liked the most.

And when you think of it, Triumph is a small studio with a very valuable IP. It would be silly of them to not make use of it.

I wouldn't expect to know anything for sure though until like one month before release. Triumph is the most secretive studio I have ever seen.

Magog, this is Harlequin, if you remember me (and if you are the Magog I think you are, haha). I too saw JayB appear and that gives me hopes. Man, I sooo wish they are working on AoW3. I will most likely preorder several copies if that's true, heh.

Anyway... I played most of those games and visually speaking, I love what Black Hole did to Might and Magic: Heroes 6. Graphics are simply stunning and give an amazing atmosphere. AoW:SM has aged incredibly well, too. I still play it with family.

April 12, 2012 12:52:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Random note into the conversation: FE and WoM "made me" buy MoM from gog.com.  

April 12, 2012 12:53:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Second random note: Warlock looks awesome.

April 12, 2012 2:48:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Rumors of AOW 3 hijacked this thread. I am not disappointed. 

April 12, 2012 4:23:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Colbert30,

Quoting Magog_AoW,
reply 22

Quoting Gandhialf, reply 7
Quoting Magog_AoW, reply 3If Triumph studios are working on AoW3 it will be interesting to see how they handle the transition to 3D.

Are there any clues that it is the case?

Some extremely vague clues. On their website they are looking for people who can do high fantasy art in 2D and 3D. Also, the original writer for AoW1 recently made an appearance on the forums, asking which AoW characters the fans liked the most.

And when you think of it, Triumph is a small studio with a very valuable IP. It would be silly of them to not make use of it.

I wouldn't expect to know anything for sure though until like one month before release. Triumph is the most secretive studio I have ever seen.

Magog, this is Harlequin, if you remember me (and if you are the Magog I think you are, haha). I too saw JayB appear and that gives me hopes. Man, I sooo wish they are working on AoW3. I will most likely preorder several copies if that's true, heh.

Anyway... I played most of those games and visually speaking, I love what Black Hole did to Might and Magic: Heroes 6. Graphics are simply stunning and give an amazing atmosphere. AoW:SM has aged incredibly well, too. I still play it with family.

Lets just hope they don't bungle AOW3 like the other company bungled Masters of Orion 3.

April 12, 2012 9:24:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Master of Orion 3, much like Sword of the Stars 2, never happened.

There's this strange large portion of the community that is convinced they were released, but I know better.  Never happened.

April 12, 2012 10:41:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So did Warlock Master of the Arcane outright buy out the rights to Civ V?

It looks EXACTLY like Civ V or a Civ V mod.

Halfway wondering if firaxis sold it, gave it away, or is just cooperating heavily with Paradox at the moment.

April 13, 2012 3:19:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Apparently, there's no connection.

April 13, 2012 5:27:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
Apparently, there's no connection.

While there is no technical connection regarding engine etc.. I think its safe to say they are trying to bank on the newer generation of 4x fans that were introduced to the genre with Civ V. Making it as similar as possible makes it easy to market to those whose whole experience with 4x games is civ V.

Then again this could just be another of my nonsensical rants..which depending on who you ask may be all my posts..

April 13, 2012 6:42:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's more elven legacy than civ5.

April 13, 2012 10:37:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It is actually much more civ5 than elven legacy. 

April 13, 2012 11:16:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I believe I read somewhere that it was based on the Fantasy Wars engine

April 13, 2012 11:21:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I meant the graphics, not the gameplay.

April 13, 2012 11:37:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ah ok. Yes it is based on the same engine I believe.

April 13, 2012 11:41:50 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Magog_AoW,
It is actually much more civ5 than elven legacy. 

The devs said it was a bit of both but they did take a lot of the good features from Civ 5 and added to game

April 14, 2012 5:02:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting wbino,
Are these realtime ?

And who recommends which? 

None of those are real time. Of them, I reccomend MoM, AoW 2 the most.

Dom 3 and CoE 2 are (IMHO) great games, but some people don't like them. I'd try out the demo for Dom 3 and the free release of the original CoE first to see if you like either of them.

April 14, 2012 5:57:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I recomend one thats not on the list: Kings Bounty (the whole new series is great). 

April 14, 2012 7:00:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

its funny cuz these guys made a somwhat similar post polling their audience on how to do a city screen. 

http://www.facebook.com/notes/masters-of-the-broken-world-non-linear-turn-based-strategy-with-karma/city-screen-dilemma/350198685022712

April 15, 2012 1:05:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting UmbralAngel,
http://www.facebook.com/notes/masters-of-the-broken-world-non-linear-turn-based-strategy-with-karma/city-screen-dilemma/350198685022712

there are a lot of votes for Elemental in there lol

April 15, 2012 1:32:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If it hasn't been noted already, Master of Magic has received both a usergroup-based tweak mod and a bugfix mod, on www.realmsbeyond.net.  I can recommend them highly.  It's especially great to see the way monsters now erupt from caves and nodes periodically to target all cities, when in the past they pretty much just roamed around and took in the sights.

Wonderful game, Master of Magic.  Loved it when it first came out, loved it all these years despite poor AI.  Now, the AI is decent.  Still more fun.

April 15, 2012 4:55:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

let's not start another MoM thing again, please...

April 15, 2012 5:31:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting EviliroN,
let's not start another MoM thing again, please...

What is a an "MoM thing?"  I haven't read any posts here about MoM, and its image figured above.  I am certainly not aware of all Internet traditions, but I have played and enjoyed all those titles.  Figured if anybody likes MoM, letting them know there are improvements floating around the Web was a good idea.

How did I offend?  And is there now a police warrant out for my arrest?

April 15, 2012 5:42:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You didn't offend and I didn't mean to offend you. What happens when people (myself included) bring up "good 'ol MoM" is that the thread gets taken over by pro- and anti- MoMers and we lose all discussion of anything relevant. 

April 15, 2012 5:57:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting EviliroN,
You didn't offend and I didn't mean to offend you. What happens when people (myself included) bring up "good 'ol MoM" is that the thread gets taken over by pro- and anti- MoMers and we lose all discussion of anything relevant. 

Oh, that kind of thing.  No, that's not my point, and I've no interest in an "A is better than B" discussion, which usually generates a lot more heat than light.  For what little it's worth, I see this thread as a display and discussion of visuals (content, flavor) on the strategic field.  If anybody wants to discuss MoM, I suspect the place to do so would be under PC Gaming, and I just might join in if it doesn't get contentious.  I'm just trying to share a useful bit of info about one of the titles.  Yes, it happens to be an old fave of mine, but I'm just as happy with FFH (now Master of Mana, with much stronger AI gameplay, available here: http://www.masterofmana.com/), Dominions 3, Warlock, and inevitably FE.

April 15, 2012 6:12:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think this thread has petty much run its course. It would be scavenging, not hijacking IMO.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000406   Page Render Time: