Tourism Income too high ?

By on February 3, 2012 2:40:08 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

LapinDuracell

Join Date 03/2008

Hello there,

I just started playing GC2 a few days ago but there is something I noticed which disturbed me : tourism income is 0 during the first turn, then booms at about 100 starting turn 2. I tried not to create any colony, started new games at different difficulties, it always happens.

I have searched for details on how tourism income is calculated, but haven't found anything yet more precise than "related to size/pop and influence".

With  +100 bc from tourism at early stages you can set your taxes to 0% and your workers to 100% and still getting a positive budget. Is it the way it should be or is there some bug in my install ?

I have Ultimate Edition 2.04, playing ToA, no mod.

I should also say that there was of course no 'Tourism Event' involved, since it always happens at turn 2.

Thanks !

4 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 3, 2012 3:18:30 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I've never actually looked at tourism income so early in the game.  My guess is that it starts at 0, then gets calculated between turns to give you the big value on turn 2.  You'll notice that with things like influence.  When you load a game, everyone's sphere of influence will start small, then jump when you end turn.  The game just waits until between turns to do the math.  Considering the high value is normal, don't worry about it.  A little extra money at first can't hurt.  Tourism income takes a backseat to taxes fairly early on.  

February 3, 2012 4:45:02 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Tourism was also increased for TA, IIRC-probably a 2.x update, like most of the others.

Honestly, though, you need that extra boost in TA.

February 4, 2012 8:45:28 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Ok, thanks for your answers (and, btw, thanks Tolmekian for your AI mod, I'm going to try it). Indeed tourism is a nice help at the beginning but then it's stays at about 100-150 even late game on a small galaxy.

February 4, 2012 1:24:04 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting LapinDuracell,
on a small galaxy

Tourism income is determined based on your influence level (IIRC), proportionate to the total population of the galaxy.  If you're not seeing a late game increase, you're either not getting enough influence, or the galaxy isn't getting enough population (which generally means you're not getting enough population, as no AI is particularly good at it), or both.  And a Small galaxy, with its low planet count, will further limit it, especially if habitability is reduced.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000672   Page Render Time: