Am I eligible for a Steam unlock code if I have the game on Impulse?

pwetty pwease with a cherry on top

By on December 2, 2011 1:21:38 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

fatindian

Join Date 05/2008
+9

Hey Stardock,

I'm not sure if this currently possible, but I would very much like to permanently associate GalCiv 2 Complete with Steam. I've owned the game for many years, and one of the reasons it doesn't see as much play as it should is because I really hate having multiple digital distribution services installed.

If there's a way to do this, I would love to take advantage of it. Thanks!

Locked Post 41 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 2, 2011 1:29:06 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I am also interested in this.

December 2, 2011 1:32:07 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Yes please!  I've been a long time supporter of Galactic Civilizations II and would like my purchased copy to be associated with Steam.

December 2, 2011 4:30:17 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

No, there is no way to transfer your registration from Impulse.  The only way to have it on your Steam account is to purchase it through Steam.

December 2, 2011 5:02:21 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Rosco_P,
No, there is no way to Stardock is not interested in organising transfer your registration from Impulse.  The only way to have it on your Steam account is to purchase it through Steam.

There, fixed that for you.

December 2, 2011 5:29:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well there is a way to transfer registration from another system to Steam - because other games have done it. In fact the Indie Bundle sales do it all the time.

If Stardock provided a web page where users could enter their existing registration number (or sign into impulse etc), and they are given a Steam code that is then entered and activated from within Steam. Lots of games use this mechanism to allow users to add Steam titles to their library without having to go via a separate purchase at the Steam Store.

I'd suggest the real reason why "there is no way to transfer your registration" is the alternative would require a little bit of extra work on the part of Stardock, and then there would be all those lost sales from requiring gamers to purchase the game a second time, so it can be launched from a different icon.

Why provide something convenient to reward your loyal existing customers when you could require them re-purchase the same program?

Steam already has the mechanism in place to support the activation of licenses for existing users - all it would take is for Stardock to make arrangements for it to happen.

December 2, 2011 6:28:19 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Bear in mind that we no longer own or control Impulse, so it isn't a simple matter of just doing it.

That said, if you just want the game "in Steam" you can freely add whatever games you like to your list without having then actually registered on your Steam account. And we will have our games available for in-browser download on the Stardock store before long, if your primary interest is moving away from Impulse.

December 2, 2011 6:36:23 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Just purchase the game from Steam. It helps Stardock and Steam keep ahead of Gamestop and Origin; and all other distributors. I just got both Sins and Civs. And I am waiting for Demigod and Elemental to hit Steam.

December 2, 2011 7:01:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Wouldn't this cost Stardock though? I mean, when someone registers their copy of a game bought elsewhere, they then use Steam's bandwidth to download and update the game who knows how many times, plus it means they don't buy the game seperately on Steam. With steamworks games which you buy retail but then have to activate on steam to play, the cost of this is included in the game price, but I would assume that Valve would charge Stardock an ammount to generate steam keys for people who own the games from other outlets, as Valve would not be gaining anything from allowing people to just register these games onto Steam.

I won't be buying it straight away, but the Christmas sales are coming up soon, here's hoping for a nice 75% off!

December 2, 2011 7:28:37 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting iviv66,
Wouldn't this cost Stardock though? I mean, when someone registers their copy of a game bought elsewhere, they then use Steam's bandwidth to download and update the game who knows how many times, plus it means they don't buy the game seperately on Steam. With steamworks games which you buy retail but then have to activate on steam to play, the cost of this is included in the game price, but I would assume that Valve would charge Stardock an ammount to generate steam keys for people who own the games from other outlets, as Valve would not be gaining anything from allowing people to just register these games onto Steam.

I won't be buying it straight away, but the Christmas sales are coming up soon, here's hoping for a nice 75% off!

One nice things about Steamworks is that games which are using it get Steam CD keys and it doesnt cost publisher anything to activate copies bough elsewere.

Since Stardock games dont use it, its not easily implemented, but recent case of Supreme Commander - their keys (at least some of them) are possible to activate game on Steam despite fact that SupCom dont use Steamworks.

I am sure that if Brad wanted, he would be able to make some sort of deal with Valve, so we would get resonable chance to activate our games on Steam.

December 2, 2011 8:20:56 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Well, this is disappointing.

I might repurchase when the game drops down below 10$. I'm not cheap, but there's no good reason for me to even pay that much since I already own the game.

December 2, 2011 8:32:35 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting fatindian,
Well, this is disappointing.

I might repurchase when the game drops down below 10$. I'm not cheap, but there's no good reason for me to even pay that much since I already own the game.

Steam Xmas sale is rumored to start 19th. IMO Stardock would be stupid not to participate with at least  50% off sale.

December 2, 2011 11:38:57 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

To be honest, I have zero desire to pay stardock again for a game I already own; and would much rather have it on Steam thanotherwise, so I suppose I'm one of those paying customers in a lurch still by the gamestop move, but can't please all of the people all of the time, and seeing it on steam at all is better than nothing.

That said, allowing us to move our keys into Steam would go a long bloody way towards rebuilding some of the loyalty you lost from me personally when you sold Impulse to Gamestop.

December 3, 2011 12:02:02 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

They can, but choose not to.  Which sucks, because I loathe Impulse (or rather, loathe the company that now runs it and the way they choose to do so).

Stardock, I have to say you lost a lot of kudos when you sold out Impulse to the devil... er, Gamestop... and generated a significant amount of ill will in doing so (my last experience with Stardock support was less than stellar too - definitely did not help).  We know for a fact it's possible to make non-Steam games activate on it, so it would greatly help you to explain why you choose not to.  We're not all unreasonable and I'm sure that if there's a good reason you don't, people will understand.

December 3, 2011 12:10:28 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

It ain't happening. There are a ton of reasons for this, some of which I would think would be obvious.

If you buy a book on the Kindle and decide you want a Nook, you don't get to just switch it over.  

You bought it via Impulse, it's still on Impulse AND if you want to re-download from Stardock, you can download it from http://download.stardock.com with your user account.

But no, games bought at store X are not transferable to store Y.  We make games. You have your game. And we've provided years of updates and service to that game.  

We certainly want our customers to be happy but this is a matter we can't help you with.  You can download directly from us if you're not comfortable with a Gamestop Impulse or you can still get it from Impulse.  I think that's a pretty good set up.

December 3, 2011 1:12:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

In my experience, quite a few developers who sold games BEFORE distributing on Steam gave complementary Steam copies/codes to those users that purchased the non-Steam licenses. So I reject your argument about it being an impossibility, as it seems like the major reason is simply your unwillingness to provide this service.

Which is fine by me (perhaps there is a fee to Valve associated with it making it financially restrictive to port thousands of existing licenses, I don't know), but don't patronize me and pretend like it's never been done before. I'm not asking Gamestop the competitor to Steam, I'm asking you the developer who is aware of my existing license. I purchased GalCiv 2 a month before Impulse was even released, so it's not even that my license is Impulse-specific.

Anyway, the point is moot since it's not happening.

December 3, 2011 10:36:43 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I tried following the above advice about going to download.stardock.com just now and logged in - while my account shows that I bought GalCiv 2 Gold and Twilight of the Arnor and has my serials listed, there are no download links, and clicking on the game name only gives me the option to buy it on Impulse.

"But no, games bought at store X are not transferable to store Y.  We make games. You have your game. And we've provided years of updates and service to that game. "

If this is true - then why, after buying it on Steam, do I have a working download link for Sins:Trinity on my Stardock account page and in Impulse? I previously bought only the base game right after release years ago, no expansions.

December 3, 2011 12:05:59 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I tried following the above advice about going to download.stardock.com just now and logged in - while my account shows that I bought GalCiv 2 Gold and Twilight of the Arnor and has my serials listed, there are no download links

Currently only GC2 Ultimate is available for direct download. The older GC2 releases will be added as we continue preparing for the new SDC app's release; for the time being you will still need to use Impulse for them.

December 3, 2011 2:31:19 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Actually Brad, that argument doesn't really hold water. As mentioned above, it seems to be entirely down to the publisher. I bought Supreme Commander Gold years ago via Impulse. Then about a month ago it was released on Steam, and a couple of weeks after that, it was possible to use the key provided via Impulse to activate Supreme Commander on Steam. Just opened the Gamestop Downloader, and used the 'look up serial number' command to get it to email me a list of all the CD keys for the games on my account, and that was that. So clearly, I bought a game via Impulse, but was able to register it on Steam once the game was released on that platform.

Personally, I wouldn't mind it on Steam for the convenience, but I still have the Gamestop Downloader installed for keeping all my games up to date, including GalCiv2. I can add it to Steam and use the Steam Overlay, but its just nice to have it fully integrated into Steam, so it can count my hours. And the very slim possibility of Steam achievements

December 3, 2011 4:09:32 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

@iviv66

Thanks. I didn't know SupCom Gold could be transferred to Steam. I also bought it via Impulse and now am downloading it via Steam.

December 3, 2011 7:40:32 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting iviv66,
Actually Brad, that argument doesn't really hold water. As mentioned above, it seems to be entirely down to the publisher. I bought Supreme Commander Gold years ago via Impulse. Then about a month ago it was released on Steam, and a couple of weeks after that, it was possible to use the key provided via Impulse to activate Supreme Commander on Steam. Just opened the Gamestop Downloader, and used the 'look up serial number' command to get it to email me a list of all the CD keys for the games on my account, and that was that. So clearly, I bought a game via Impulse, but was able to register it on Steam once the game was released on that platform.

Personally, I wouldn't mind it on Steam for the convenience, but I still have the Gamestop Downloader installed for keeping all my games up to date, including GalCiv2. I can add it to Steam and use the Steam Overlay, but its just nice to have it fully integrated into Steam, so it can count my hours. And the very slim possibility of Steam achievements

Ok, then if it really makes you feel better, then assume that the reason is because I'm a greedy bastard who uses the money to purchase the tears of a rare, endangered animal that lives in the Amazonian rain forest because those tears, those precious precious tears, give me a momentary refrain from my evil money grubbing ways. Assume that the extraction of the tears is fatal to the endangered animal.

December 3, 2011 7:53:46 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I should also add that we do intend for new releases (like Fallen Enchantress and Sins Rebellion) to have their keys be interchangeable. 

December 5, 2011 4:30:10 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Brad

If you buy a book on the Kindle and decide you want a Nook, you don't get to just switch it over.  

Ok, then if it really makes you feel better, then assume that the reason is because I'm a greedy bastard who uses the money to purchase the tears of a rare, endangered animal that lives in the Amazonian rain forest because those tears, those precious precious tears, give me a momentary refrain from my evil money grubbing ways. Assume that the extraction of the tears is fatal to the endangered animal.

If I buy a book on Kindle and Amazon Sell my account to Gamestop and then tell me I have to buy my book again when they start selling it on Nook then Amazon can go fuck themselves.

I had a choice when I purchased games on Impulse to support Impulse as Valves competition. I had no choice when you sold my account and licenses to Gamestop, a company who have blatantly spat in the face of PC gamers over the past decade and now that you are migrating your own games to Steam you don't even have the common decency to allow those of us you sold out to do the same. Then you have the audacity to act like a condescending jackass about it when questioned further. You are not exactly going out of your way to win back fan support are you?

I can tell you I won't be buying any expansions or supporting your company further and I know many who are equally disgusted at your attitude and actions.

Do you even remember when we were not the enemy? What the hell happened to you Brad? When did it come down to this childish nonsense?

December 5, 2011 5:44:33 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Honestly, considering that you're whining about the inability to download through your preferred distribution system despite the fact that:

1. you can install/uninstall Impulse whenever you feel like it
  2. you can download GCII from Stardock's store whenever you feel like it
  3. you likely already have the damn game installed

it's you that's being childish.

It's not like there's going to be any Steam achievements for GC II. And to be honest, with the aggravation I've had with Steam (it corrupted my install of Civ V and I had to wipe Steam and install from scratch) I can't imagine why you would want the freedom to transfer it over.

December 5, 2011 7:40:48 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

You just reminded me recent Dilbert strip:

December 5, 2011 12:56:48 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Ascadia,

I had a choice when I purchased games on Impulse to support Impulse as Valves competition. I had no choice when you sold my account and licenses to Gamestop, a company who have blatantly spat in the face of PC gamers over the past decade and now that you are migrating your own games to Steam you don't even have the common decency to allow those of us you sold out to do the same.

"I have altered the deal. Pray I do not alter it further." 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001828   Page Render Time: