Stardock Closed for the Holidays
Jan 5, 2015 8:45

Stardock's offices will be closed in observance of the holiday season from December 19th until January 5th, 2015.

During this time there will be a delay in answering support tickets, so we ask for your patience during the holiday period.  While we will keep tabs on the tickets during the break, we will respond to them as quickly as possible upon our return.  

On behalf of the Stardock staff we wish you a happy holiday season and look forward to the new year!

Any Ideas for Galciv III?

Think creative

By on July 23, 2011 8:03:52 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

1kingbarton

Join Date 08/2010
+1

Even though the makers of Galciv may not see this or take ideas, but I was just wondering of everyone elses Ideas, I'll also post Ideas for the game, but as this is happening, whats the krynn do in the Twilight of the Arnor campaing, you don't need to answer if you don't want to. Now, how bout the ideas?

35 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 23, 2011 8:08:25 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

What I think is, they should have customize your own home planet, but you can only customize to where the same number of yellow, orange, red, and green tiles. Also, there should be scenario of where your at war with everyone, and every race is in the map, and your only victory condition is to have a large enough military to consume everyone. I'll post more soon.

July 24, 2011 4:05:53 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I hate to beat the dead horse more, but... Multiplayer!

The ONLY reason that Gal Civ 2 is not my favorite game of all time, is the lack of the ability to co-op kill the AI with my friends.

July 25, 2011 7:30:15 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I have a few suggestions. Some of it is me reiterating some problems I've mentioned for GalCiv2.

----

Defending Starbases: The current system for defending starbases is flawed. Starbase combat potential doesn't scale with starship combat potential. You can research starbase combat modules independently from starship weapons and defenses. Starbases also didn't receive much love in the DA and TA expansions. Heck, even if you outfit your station using a few dozen constructors, they are out powered by end game ship technologies.

This problem would be less severe if starbases could join fleets with ships. The combined power of ships and starbases could give the starbase the combat power it needs to survive.

Alternatively, it would be nice if the current construction method was redesigned. Maybe you could design starbases like you would a normal ship, adding ship modules instead on a starbase hull. You could then assemble the starbase with constructors, or rush buy its construction if you had the money.

----

Fortify Command: One of the games I grew up playing with was Civilizations 2. In Civ 2, there is a fortify command that makes units to hold their positions and not move for any reason (unless I give them new orders). For me, a fortify command should be a standard command that all 4x turn based games should have... but GalCiv 2 doesn't have it. They have a guard and sentry command, which gives conditions when the units are to *stop* fortifying their positions, but I find both to useless. Instead of giving me a means to secure a location, they give my units conditions when they 'wake up' and be ready to accidentally receive commands I didn't intend to give them. I have placed fleets in the same parsec as a starbase, only to have the fleet 'wake up' when it detects an enemy fleet, and then receive a move order when I'm giving orders to lots of ships. Kinda defeats the purpose of trying to tell the fleet to "guard" the location.

----

Design Planet Improvements: I don't like "Industrial Sectors". For me, they are are a move in the wrong direction. For all factories before it, they increased their output/maintenance by +2/+1 ( +2 points of increased output / +1 point of maintenance) for each level. This makes them more cost effective to have. Likewise, the increase in build cost for the new improvement was no more than half the cost of the previous level. An "Industrial Sector" breaks this pattern by increasing the output/maintenance by +2/+4 (greatly increasing the costs of just having one built) and increasing the build cost from 150 to 400 (which more than doubles the cost to build the previous generation factory). This makes it painful to develop new colonies or captured colonies.

This is a problem made worse because the game tends to queue the upgrade of planet improvements once the technology is made available. If I could, I would like to design top tier factories that were fast to build, and were cost effective to have (high output / low maintenance costs). I would keep a second set for bonus tiles and factory worlds (where high output is very desirable).

July 26, 2011 10:02:08 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting SgtBowen,
the lack of the ability to co-op kill the AI with my friends.
Thats the problem with life, you have to face the hard stuff, if you do easy, your just gonna be sad during the time, thats the reason I love to play in the corners of the game, if you gotten everything you wanted, what would you do, you'll just say you want your life back, you have to face the tough stuff. Not trying to be hateful. You have to earn getting the good stuff, and do harder stuff for a reward of making others feel better. Thats the best reward of all.

July 26, 2011 10:52:41 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I want the game to be where you can kinda command the allies ships, or nuetral people ships, they will suggest if they will go to where you command them. I also want a Gal civ 3d, I know gal civ 2 has 3d, but i'm talking bout the map, not only the map goes flat, it also goes up and down, the gal civ 2 is left to right, I want them to put them together, but all over the galaxy, that way, it'll make a cube if you zoom out far enough, and they should enchance the zoom for it to go ferther, but they should gal civ 3 in the gal civ 2 form, that way for the people without a good engine for their pc, and want to play gal civ 3, it won't crash or totally slow down thier pc. They should even put easter eggs in the scenarios, even if they dont got easter eggs, in GTA san andreas, the brigde to san fierro and the little harbor in the top left corner, if you go on the tallest part of the brigde closest to san fierro, you'll see a sign saying, "Theres no easter eggs up here, go away." I cracked up when I found it. They should even put in 12 more tech trees, I know its not good for having that many races, but i'm not talking bout having that many races, I mean 2 tech trees for each civilization, I'll talk bout what i'm saying.

Terran: All around tech tree/ War tech tree. (Actually, I want 3 for this race, the other is Diplomacy)

Drath (My favorite race, i'll tell why later): Munipulator tech tree/ Defense and War tech tree.

Altarians: Research tech tree/ trade tech tree, reminds me, R.I.P. Korx, I just think the Altarians got such a high research skill, they should even trade what goods they seem to get.

Torians: Population Growth maintaning tech tree/ Munipulator tech tree, only cause they want to protect thier citizens.

Korath: Killing tech tree/ Cloning and life absorbing tech tree, absorbing the life from all they will kill, but they clone one first, then they clone it again, and suck the life out of the first one, than make another one, going on and on.

Drengin: Want a bit of a change for this tech tree. Slaving and revive tech tree (Think that all races should revive)/ Slaving less, than the ones that were gonna be ensalved gets controlled by a CPU robot suit they are in, than they get into an army, than the army fights only the korath, then when done, they fight the rest, mostly the one with the closet to Terror Star Tech (That means in the begin, what ever race in the galaxy will have the attacks the most, wants that to be disabled).

Korx comes back, but cause they used a new tech, revive, also goes for Iconian: Trade and Reviving/ Trade and War.

Iconian (Gonna be the ultimate race most likely for what I say, you'll see when you see tech): Robotic and Robotice tech tree/ Remembering "Dread Lords and Arnors Movement" tech tree (Means trying to remember what thier tech involved, since they were alive at the time, they are making stories for what happened, finally stories).

Kryyn: Spying tech tree/ Population Growth and Population Growth controlling tech tree.

Arcean: Ships and High income, low expenses (trying to get the ship that shows, trying to get a high income) tech tree, (Their ships should have an immense for a #1 flag ship for this tech tree, only one can be created, 3 times bigger than thier Huge hull ship) / Robotic and Ships tech tree.

Yor: Cyborgs tech tree / Stealing CPUs in the game, if enough is stolen in a civlization, the yor takes it over (But I want to have to spend alot before I get the race, wouldn't be fair, the access for the race will be through Spying), all civlizations should have this, but yor has the biggest advantage.

Thalan, I think last: Getting use to the now galaxy and a huge vortex (Takes over one of thier planets chosen, the better quality planet, the better, the vortex will increase influence, war efforts, trading, etc. it'll make everthing better and make a living galaxy, and when activated, it'll send enough constructors to get every resource in the galaxy, and if any is controlled already by other races, they will lose theirs and it will be taken over to the thalan) down a long tech branch that the branch contains making better quality planets and the terror star in the tech tree/ Getting thier techs back from the future and make a living galaxy for thier own, planet quality, and the planets with barren, water worlds, radio active, etc. , they can make the planet quality for them 5 times better, maybe the thalan will be the most powerful, and this tech tree will make the expenses lower 10% each week, until they get a 1000bc net income, than it stops lowering, but the income can still go up and the expenses still go down. I have alot planned for the thalan, hehe.

Also they should have 3 times more powerful tech trees, they should have 500 tech tree points than, and the abilities can have negative also, you select which, negative or positive, have 20 abilitie points, and you can have 2 or 3 times the better for abilitie for each, and (Still going on) have 2 abilities per race also, I won't say cause this too long, and each super ability is more powerful and enchanced. K. I'll make a new one.

July 26, 2011 11:05:27 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

The drath is my favorite race cause they are, I think 20 feat tall, only 20% down on population growth, and they got such huge diplomacy, they don't need to wage war, they watch it, They used to be dragons,  they got such a huge soildering ability, thats why they are least known, okay, i got more Ideas, (Still going) the campaign, you get to play any race you want, but the customs, you can, its just you play them to help them rise, the rest, they got thier own story, you play any, even if you have to suicide your race in the campaign for a win in a mission, but you have to fight in the missions, but you cant destroy your colonies, and also, each races ship style should have moving parts, and one more thing, you get to colonize the anomilies, not much people would live in it, but, this is how it works, the new colonizing anomlie, I'm talking bout the space miners stuff anomilies, it may be called asteroids, i'm not sure, having problems right now, K, the people bring plants with them, the crew puts glass around each of the asteroids they have already mined on the inside for them to live thier, they put glass in all openings, maybe only one opening, and the glass will not shatter, only melt, unless a comet or missle hits it, okay, then the people put plants inside the glass, there, home sweet home, they should do that in real life, but they got a way to get water from the plants when they evaporate the water, and they get that water to reuse, thats the way to live in them, homes, and the toilets, thats also the water, just, they clean it with tech and stuff, they should do this.

July 26, 2011 11:08:59 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Divine wrath, thats is a problem I hate with starbases, but thats cause, the starbases maitainence is too high, they should make a higher net income, the only race I seen with a high income is the Thalan, I'm not sure bout the Korx, cause in my games, they don't seem to trade very often, and I don't want to play the Korx, when I do, I just get my booty kicked all over the place by my allies! with the loyalty, My people hate me cause I can't get enough ability points. And customizing the bases, thats one of the many reasons I bought the game. I heard you get to cusomize them, but no, and the best part, you even get to make star bases in the ship design, just they act like ships, not starbases, and no matter what point in the game, you still need them resources in the galaxy.

[EDIT]

Also, I even managed to make all these ideas in less than an hour, all my ideas can make the game fun, but yalls ideas, make the game funner than mine probaly.

July 26, 2011 11:21:49 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

WAIT, I forgot, When I was in the Yor tech tree, where the Yor takes over other races, they even have to revolt when in the phase, what I am thinking of now is that the leader has to think of the improvements in the race to take over, and for each city, the one thats made when you make a new colony or the first thing there besides the starport on the homeworld, for each one you take, they gain that planets, but they take them over for the citizens still with him, and the yor should still take 100 weeks before taking over the civilizations, also, when the yor takes over the race, the race loses only 20% of its people, but when the race comes back, it gains back 10%, but if they take 10 weeks to come back, each time they will lose 5% of thier people, by the time they lose 70% of thier people, they will lose the game, thats what im thinking, but it only happens when you don't got enough esponiage level on the and enough friendship with the race.

July 31, 2011 4:05:47 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Add multiplayer

August 1, 2011 8:16:15 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

To disagree with the above, do not add multiplayer upon release but down the road.

Instead, I think you should also focus on more customization of the game.

August 1, 2011 1:54:27 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I think they should also let you decide what type of homeworld for the custom races you want, like, if you want a forest planet, or a lava planet (Drengin) or a planet of just rock, anything like that, thats what I wish.

August 15, 2011 12:45:01 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I got another Idea, they should have an Ultitmate Invasion, their will be a new ship, that will have a higher maintainence every week due to it will send lots of troops, the longer the ship is there, the more robotic troops it'll make, if the ship was at the enemy planet, it'll have to wait 2 weeks before it really attacks with all the troops, just floating in space near the planet, like a moon, there is another idea, they should make the game where you can colonize the moon, make moons, theres no limit, LoL, that'll be alot of moons, and you can control the moons to be like the planets, you can mine the moon, you can change the moon to a starbase for making troops, robots, you can transform the moon to a planet, but you need to select where you want the planet, near by, and you can move stars/planets but if you do move it, it changes the quality of the planet, all these ideas I think is good, also, I think there should be a way to make minor races, like making dogs, cats, parrots, apes, or mice minor races, make your custom minor races? Well I think all these ideas are great, just a higher way to raise income and morale, I think they should even add a little arcade game to the game, like pacman, just so we don't get bored much, also, I want to command the Planetary Invasions, if I can, only 2 restarts to each planetary invasion, also, make the terror stars go faster, or do a little thing with the terror stars, that way if we miss the planet, it'll be better, so we don't hit all the time, there should be a virus that goes to races, how bout you make the viruses and get to give it to the enemy race, or allied, if your a spy you don't get caught all the time, but its possible for your race to get a virus, but just don't let all viruses effect the planet quality. Thats one of the things I would rather play galciv2 for instead,but I want to be able to explore the citys of the planets, I know this is too much, but I want to explore the citys, build the citys how I like, thats Simcitys job, but if you can, please add it, and all these ideas, I know not much people approve of this, just throwing ideas.

August 15, 2011 12:48:07 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Ziue,
Add multiplayer
Sorry, but if we added multiplayer, it'll just take too long with everything, maybe plan moves at the same time? But I think that'll just start lots of lags. Sorry but multiplayer is better but much worse. It would be nice to fight against someone you like to.

August 15, 2011 8:09:05 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Today was the first time I ever seen Galactic Civlization 2 New Frontier, is it good? I want to know if I should buy it or not, if it is buyable, just heard bout the game, not sure bout anything. And can someone help with my campaign thing.

[EDIT]

Okay. I seen the photos of the game, more weapons, diffrent hyperdrive looks, I seen only 1 diffrent type of planet, the lava planet. Not sure if you can colonize it, like that starbase photo when they reserched that light made laser.

August 15, 2011 8:54:03 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Galactic Civlization 2 New Frontier is a planned community expansion pack that is unfortunately got put on hold indefinately.

Which is unfortunate since it looked promising.

August 16, 2011 9:27:24 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

One more thing, I need help with my metaverse problem, you see, look my profile by clicking my name, look my metaverse profile, I need help to erase most of them, you should see it, but look my Dragonvish Suffering one, I got that them records in one game. I can tell you how.

I just thought of 2 more ideas, they deal with trading.

You can have as many trade routes as you like, but if that can't happen, let it be, if your income is lower than your expenses, you get to get more traderoutes till you reach an income higher than your expenses,

August 16, 2011 8:26:42 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

In a future upgrade, I would like to see the "Guard" and "Sentry" options become more useful -- I have read a couple old forum discussions but nothing that included my proposals below.  Apparently, I am not the only one who thinks these options should actually do something.

In Dread Lords at least, the game is played at the stratigic level and not the tactical level.  As leader of your chosen civilization you make policy decisions that affect planets and your civilization, and give orders to fleets and vessels, but have no direct tactical control during combat; for example, you cannot order all of the vessels in your fleet to concentrate on the enemy's capital ships.  Even at the strategic level, however, you should be able to establish default standing orders for all of your fleets and vessels, and special orders for specific fleets say in or near enemy sectors -- as is done in the real world by presidents and admirals.

First, I propose three different types of patrols:

1.  Stationary Watch:  The vessel or fleet (that is, "the patrol") behaves as it currently does, remain stationary at a specific point until a(n enemy) vessel or fleet is detected.

2.  Orbital Patrol:  The patrol orbits a point such as a planet or starbase at its maximum sensor range.  The patrol would default to its maximum speed but with an option to set a reduced speed -- the goal isn't to orbit as fast as possible but to detect any foreign vessels that approach.  The direction, clockwise or counter-clockwise would also be set for the patrol.  Thus, for a critical planet or starbase a patrol can be sent in one direction and a second in the other to reduce the likelihood of a foreign vessel sneaking through undetected.  Also, this would be a good option for protecting your home world early in the game until you can set up a protective ring of starbases around it.

3.  Picket Line Patrol:  Two Rally Points are set and the patrol automatically moves between then at maximum speed.  You could assign more than one patrol to the same picket line or set up more than one picket line, say between one of your planets and the direction you expect enemies to approach.  This may be a good option for a cheap Star Fury or Defender when you have few vessels and starbases but large areas of empty space between your planets and enemy forces.  You want to detect an approaching enemy as early as you can so you have more time to react.

Second, I propose several levels of Standing Orders or actions for Guard/Sentry patrols when a(n enemy) vessel or fleet is detected:

1.  Status Change:  Basically, this is what happens currently and should be the default.  Patrols on Stationary Watch would lose their "Guard" or "Sentry" status, but nothing more.  Orbital or Picket Line Patrols would stop their movement and wait for further orders.

2.  Report Only:  When you click the "Turn" button, I would like an option to see something like "Fleet 12 reports a Drengin fleet in sector 3,4" or "Star Fury 123 has detected a Torian Freighter in sector 5,6" instead of trying to figure out myself why the patrol's status is no longer "Guard" or "Sentry", respectively, near the front.  Otherwise, the patrol would behave the same as with the Status Change option.  For Orbital and Picket Line Patrols, there may be an option to continue their patrols to determine if more enemy fleets or vessels are approaching from a different direction.  You probably wouldn't want to set this option for all patrols, but certain ones near the front or guarding critical areas.

3.  Shadow:  The patrol would immediately begin tracking the intruder(s) at maximum sensor range but not engage.  If your patrol has a lower speed, it would follow the intruder(s) until out of sensor range at which it would stop and await further orders.  Of course, with this option there is the added risk that the intruder(s) will turn and attack your patrol.  Also, a report should appear saying something like, "Battle Axe 1234 has discontinued its Picket Line Patrol and is shadowing an Arcean fleet in sector 5,6".  Even if your patrol has a higher fire power, you may want to track the intruder(s) for a while and hold off attacking it until it is clear of the area of effect of any of its Military starbases.

4.  Engage:  The patrol would auto attack the intruder(s).  This option has the highest risk, needless to say.  There may be an option to engage only if the patrol's fire power is greater than the enemy's; otherwise, the patrol would revert to the Shadow option.  No sense in attacking a war vessel if your patrol is a single Defender or Star Fury.  However, if your patrol is a small fleet or capital ship and you have bigger fleets nearby, you may want the patrol to attack a larger enemy fleet anyway to inflict as much damage as possible until your other fleets arrive.

Anyway, these are my ideas for giving your "Guard" and "Sentry" fleets capabilities to react to foreign vessels they detect based on the Standing Orders you set for them.  They would give you more control over your vessels and fleets and add more realism and fun to the game.

August 22, 2011 12:21:59 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I would like a more realistic space environment.  3D, not top-down.  When a new planet is discovered, it would be nice if people from your civ just began colonizing it and requested a charter.  Any planet within your influence becomes colonized.  If under empire system, no charter required.  Also, when you have Star Federation, you should be able to invite minor races to join your federation.  You could share techs automatically and firepower as well.  They can also sesceed if they don't like the direction of your empire.  In fact, in a true federal system, each of your colonies would have their own governance and militia, even as in any one of the 50 states, the governor may deploy that state's national guard to deal with internal disasters like hurricanes.  When you plant a colony, it autonomously begins to produce military, research and economy (although you may still create improvements that boost output for the good of the empire).  It would be like playing EVE with thousands of AI players in your empire.  As you research higher forms of government, the game becomes less tedious as focus of power moves from a single dictator to the masses. 

Why not mining and research colonies on uninhabitable worlds?

While the simplicity of GalCiv 2 makes it quite desirable, after a few years of winning over and over, it leaves you wanting more from the game.  It gets too simple.

Perhaps it could implement ever-increasing scale of play.  Once you've taken the whole galaxy, the game moves on to an intergalactic scale.  You might encounter entire galaxies that are assimilated by cybernetic organisms, entirely robotic, or even at an earlier stage where the galaxy hasn't been fully taken by any one civ.  If you are going intergalactic, you'll need all the techs and abilities of the races you've conquered.  So each time you conquer a race, you inherit their tech tree to add to your own.  Once the game goes intergalactic, you might be entering an entirely new tech-tree where weapons and defences take on whole new functionality that is different than the conventional, "hurl this at them" methods. Try coming up with entirely new ideas like generating a resonant field that drains their power or even detonates the power core for instance.  phase shifting, subspace, telepathy, multi-reality convergence (ships from multiple timelines converge on the battle).  The conventional weapons from the first tech tree could remain as options, but when dealing with a race that is after more than one galaxy, their ways might be beyond your normal level of comprehension.  After all, what happened to the precursors anyway?  What it it was a preemptive strike from another galaxy to wipe them out so that a race from another galaxy could eventually take this galaxy?

After the inter-galactic scale is taken, multireality mode kicks in...and...nah.  Then it gets cheesy.

Also, if a ship is disabled in combat, it should be possible to capture it and steal it's secrets and gain intel from priority messages in it's databanks.

August 23, 2011 6:27:41 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hey Taco, look my posts up there, and I know you'll just want more and it gets simple, but, it'll make people want it also, then they start to love it, and one more thing, the other races do the powerful stuff too. We just can't colonize planets on influence, there will be noone on the planet.

August 24, 2011 12:00:39 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I was thinking about an escort system for freighters where you can assign ships to move with the freighters and protect them.

August 24, 2011 5:22:14 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting dnzrx,
I was thinking about an escort system for freighters where you can assign ships to move with the freighters and protect them.

Good idea.  I would like to see that extended to starbases as well.  I find it terribly frustrating when a foreign warship or fleet destroys one of my starbases without engaging my fleet stationed there first.

August 28, 2011 10:03:21 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Another two things that are not really new features but should be addressed anyway:

1.) Better AI on the tactical level. Instead of throwing ships onto starbases where they can get easily destroyed, they should go around said starbases. Instead of letting enemy transports and constructors laze on by, they should pop a ship out of orbit, blow said transport or constructor up, and pop the transport back in. Stuff like that would make a more challenging game play.

2.) More dialogue with the AIs. I do enjoy the personality and effort into making the dialogue funny. Especially there are some real gems in there. This should continue.

Thoughts?

August 29, 2011 1:47:57 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I've mentioned these ideas elsewhere but...

HEX MAPS, HEX MAPS, HEX MAPS, HEX MAPS!  Ok, in all seriousness, hex grids give a slightly more organic feel to a map, and generally make a 1:1 range ratio a more reasonable proposition.

"Rock, Paper, Scissors" damage/defense types.  It's simple, effective, and applied correctly prevents "godships" and fleets no matter how advanced the tech is.

More strategic variety.  What I mean by this is things like "raiding modules" for ships of militaristic races where they park in a system and all planets uncontrolled by that race within its sphere (unclaimed by others or not) are "raided" each turn...rather than having militaristic races build full infrastructures like other races.  Another economy could be races that get bonuses on its controlled planets for each uncontrolled planet in its territory, having to balance out its colonization and conquest for maximum benefit.  Of course along with more standard setups.

Also with strategic variety, three "styles" of movement would make the game more interesting and challenging.  A "gate" style where ships have movement bonuses only within a certain distance of bases or controlled worlds and is the fastest of them all.  A "jumpship" style where only one ship carries a single massive drive that leaves it largely defenseless and is expensive and sends the whole fleet along like a normal fleet module and is almost as fast as the gate.  And finally the normal drive that every ship carries but is slower than the other two.

No more establishing trade routes or building colony ships.  Worlds that meet the right conditions will start to trade with one another upon that point, simple as that.  Colonization will occur in a similar way, where unclaimed worlds that fall within the race's borders will slowly colonize until they're fully claimed and controlled by that race.  This would cost credits and each unclaimed world can be "turned off" (or turned on if they're off by default) when the economy is struggling.  I hate colony rushes, and I hate having to screw with each and every individual worthless non-combatant ship needed to do every little thing because none of them are reusable.

Cultural "neutral zones".  All territory within 2 parsecs of a border on both sides will be considered contested, and cannot be colonized or have bases built within it.  Obviously this implies that bases cannot be built in enemy territory...but they can be built in unclaimed territory, and remain if that territory is eventually claimed by another.  Perhaps particularly sneaky races can build a special unique type of stealth base in enemy territory to make up for their lack of military might.

More value in espionage so that a race can really specialize in it and be a force to be reckoned with for it.  Auto-defensive spies so as to protect worlds before they're sabotaged.  More options like smuggling of various separate types like credits, manufacturing points, research points, or trade goods.  Ship vision and ship sabotage are other things to consider too.  Of course there are the normal "visions" and tech theft as well.

A little more tactical control, but not too much.  Things like preset formations during fleet creation, maybe preset tactics too.  Maybe introduce "heros" into the game that go with a fleet and give you the opportunity to change formation or tactics of that fleet on the fly during battle.  But nothing that lets you control individual ships or specify targets or anything.

Tighter range restrictions.  None of this, "starting range that's half the map" nonsense.  Every race starts with a base range of 1 parsec, modified by their racial bonus and then further modified by the size of the map.  A tiny map with a race that has a full range bonus would have a range of 6 parsecs total to start.  The same race on an Immense map would have roughly double that range to start with.  Each range tech would increase range by 1 to 3 parsecs each, depending on how many techs there are and how specialized the race is in that way.  Players should be required to use bases to extend their range for exploration and conquest, creating strategic choke points in the galaxy instead of just hauling off to any corner they want whenever they want.

No more hardcoding unless it's unavoidably necessary.  One of the biggest complaints of GalCiv2 is that when the new AIs were made, they were buggy and generally worthless.  The only option has been extensive reworking of the values and availability of techs and improvements to the extent that there's no point in using the new AIs anyway, and also it's less fun.  This could have been resolved by simply permitting modders to directly adjust the AIs themselves.  While not ideal for all levels, there are some who are up to the challenge.  The same holds true for unique techs, parts, and improvements that should've been possible to create entirely new additional unique items.

Oh, and finally...did I mention hex maps?

August 29, 2011 4:11:38 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

GalCiv2 is pretty close to perfection, so I wouldn't want to see anything added that changed the core gameplay too much.

Stuff I'd love to see (ie. stuff I've actively missed having in GC2):

• An overlay that shows how far visible ships (friendly and enemy) can move in a single turn.  It would make keeping out of enemy attack range much more manageable.
  • The ability to add new races to the game rather than replace the existing ones.
  • The ability to write new AIs in something like LUA or even C/C++ if performance is an issue.
  • Death to the tie rule!  If both ships would explode, then both ships should explode!
  • Better automation for ships - eg. "Attack any ship in that square" (mostly used to guard an enemy planet and automatically smite any ship it produces.  "Attack any ship that comes near me" (maybe different depending on whether the ship is stationary or in transit somewhere). etc.

Ideas/Nice to haves:

• The ability to set fleet stances going into a battle.  eg. Taking a defensive posture where your fleet both takes and deals less damage.  You could potentially even include something like the planet invasion screen where you could purchase advantages at a cost.  Jerry-rig your weapons for +50% efficiency at the cost of damaging your ship.  Spend X bc to bribe someone on your opponent's ships so they fight less well.  etc. etc.
  • "Inventory" that ships can carry would allow for some interesting scenarios.  Imagine if you had the job of ferrying the secret terror star plans from the Yor homeworld to Earth.  And your ship could be destroyed and the plans taken, so you had to take them back etc. etc.  Maybe they could even be transferred to a planet, in which case you'd have to invade the planet to get it before taking it where it needs to go.
September 1, 2011 6:03:47 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

In case of MP simultaneous moves would be a must.  In Civ4 for example there is option for simultaneous move, used quite a bit in mp.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000313   Page Render Time: