Galactic Civilizations II in PC Gamers Top 100 PC Games!

By on February 10, 2011 11:49:15 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Island Dog

Join Date 06/2003
+614

Galactic Civilizations II has made PC Gamer’s Top 100 PC Games of all time!  Coming in at #74, PC Gamer has this to say:

“Managing two hundred billion people is complicated, and GalCiv isn’t as simply presented as its Earthly inspiration, Civilization. But the excitement of setting out to explore a procedurally generated galaxy of mind-boggling size does so much more for us than an ordinary world map. The scarcity of fertile planets out there makes your brushes with alien races much tenser. It’s a game that dwells on the knife edge between peace and war: we’re all friends at first, but take that f---ing planet just because you got a colony ship to it one turn before me and you will be on thin f---ing ice, fish-thing.”

From Gamesradar.com.

5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 12, 2011 5:42:08 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Awesome news.  Congratulations, guys!  

February 14, 2011 12:39:30 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Fair shot at some fame, i guess... but read on down that "list" and you'll see a few discrepencies, IMO!

Some that should be waaaayyyyy up (+) in rankings and others that simply aren't located at the proper ratings slot i'd personally give over while considering FPS, MMO & RPG gameplay (of all time, btw) weirdness also;

81. Sim City 2000 (+) pivotal product for micro-managing complex systems.

76. Crysis (++++) Kill 'hem all if that's your kinda bloody fun.

74. GalCivII (+ xxxx) Biased, maybe... but pure Sci-Fi & superbly rendered 4X together at last.

42. The Sims 3 (--... room for more?) Mom, can i get a free pair of running shoes too?

35. Football Manager (----------!! OFF the chart) Superbowl syndrome of US "freaks" of the sport.

27. Doom II (++) The source of all FPS copycats that came thereafter.

23. StarCraft (+) Crawl insects, crawl!

14. WoW (----) If only cuz it ruined too many people's REAL life to silly online addictions.

12. Civilization IV (+) The Grandmaster reference of Empire control above Humanity history.

11. X-Com: Ufo Defense (+++++++... count them plus signs, it's at least a whole 7 ranks above, maybe more) For reasons beyond my Full Life rather than half of it.

MIA's...

In no particular order -- SimEarth, Halo, StarWars:X-Wing, ChessMaster, Age of Empires (pick any!), Master of Orion, Total Annihilation, etc.

February 25, 2011 9:44:47 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

"you are thin [expletive] ice, fish-thing"

I think we've all been there. GalCiv2 definitely deserved a spot on this list.

November 6, 2011 3:57:33 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

when will the next  galactic game be out?

December 6, 2011 7:39:31 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting Orbital 2000,
when will the next  galactic game be out?

Maybe now Stardock is on Steam, they may release a new GalCiv2 expansion or game.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000625   Page Render Time: