I found a way to get it to v2.01 on my W2K machine.
Here's the solution:
1. Download and install DA 2.01 via Impulse on a different machine (for example Win 7 Pro machine).
2. Go to the GalCiv2 folder on the Win2K machine and rename it (so if anything goes wrong you still have it).
3. Copy the whole GalCiv2 folder over to the Win2K machine where the renamed GalCiv2 is also located.
4. When starting, you need to re-activate or use the renamed GalCiv2's bin file that has the machine ID info in it so that you do not need to re-activate.
5. Run the program. It is now v2.01.
So, if anyone has Win2K and wants the latest updates then this is one way of doing it.