Just something I threw together in my spare time

By on July 14, 2010 2:24:55 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

qrtxian

Join Date 03/2010
+28

Galactic Wars

A introductory history to the military conflicts of the early Hyperdrive Era

Entered onto hypernet 2281

Authored by Anthony F. Hamilton (link to author net statistics)

[PhD space military history, Professor - Derwell Martian University]

Looking back from the vantage point of over four decades of unbroken peace under the Galactic Alliance (link to recent Galactic history file), it’s difficult for the modern sophont to imagine the amount of blood (or the equivalent) shed during the first fifteen years of the Hyperdrive Era. The Alliance is founded on the idea of cooperation between all sentient beings, but to many of the galactic civilizations in the 2220s and ‘30s (Terran calendar) such ideas were completely alien. The ambitious Arceans, the ruthless Korx, and the inscrutable Thalans all had their own designs on the future of the galaxy, and were determined to achieve them no matter the price. Nine separate wars would occur between 2225, when the first commercially viable hyperdrives were developed, and 2239, when the Treaty of Altaria brought a lasting galactic peace.

That galactic peace, however, would not be achieved without cost. Nearly 22 billion sophonts (link to specific racial breakdowns) would lose their lives in the wars set in motion by the Terrans’ idealistic yet naïve decision to freely distribute their invention among the galactic community. A cursory work of this nature cannot possibly tell their stories as they deserve, but as you read this account, try to keep in mind that each conflict described meant an end to the lives and dreams of millions or billions of sophonts. For every famous leader to emerge from the wars, a thousand common soldiers died unknown.

Of those races involved in the conflicts, the Terran Alliance (link to basic Terran statistics) was neither the most powerful nor the most advanced. However, the Terrans had a unique and powerful gift for building coalitions. Theorized by some to be a product of their unusually disorganized history (link to Dr. Claen Mue’s seminal thesis on the subject), the Terrans’ determination to work with other lifeforms, not against, would ultimately bring to the galaxy a lasting peace, achieving the utopia that their original gift of hyperdrive had been intended to create. This account will focus on their story.

Author’s note: As mentioned, this is a cursory history, designed mainly to serve as an introduction to the period. This is a work of military history and will focus mostly on that area. Discussions of the state of galactic affairs before various conflicts will be included, but the primary emphasis is on military events, not political, technological, or social developments. Images will be provided as appropriate. I have enabled watchdog AIs; attempted hacking of the file is strictly discouraged. Discussion by users is welcome, but please refrain from inflammatory contents. This account will focus primarily on a Terran perspective and will use Terran units of time. All sources used may be found in (this link).

This is just a quick fictionalized AAR based off of my notes of one of the very first GalCiv II games I ever played. Statistics are as follows:

Large Galaxy

Uncommon habitable planets

Tight star clusters

Normal tech rate

8 AIs (Altarians, Arceans, Torians, Yor, Korx, Drath, Thalans, Iconians)

All win conditions enabled

Screenshots will be provided; any assistance in figuring out how to upload them would be nice.

Contructive criticism is always welcome.

38 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 7, 2010 6:17:18 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Note to readers: This AAR is officially put on hold until I finish my Drengin AAR (http://forums.galciv2.com/401200), which is based on an ongoing game and is easier to keep writing. Professor Hamilton will finish at some point, though.

December 7, 2010 5:52:11 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Lovely-dont leave it too long lol 

February 8, 2011 2:54:46 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

As the Drengin AAR is itself now on hold, I intend to resume work on this shortly.

February 8, 2011 6:33:14 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hey stop teasing us Qrtxian-get posting!! 

April 16, 2011 1:46:28 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Wow, it's been nine months since I started this thing. Here's the beginning of the Second Korx War - more to come later.

State of affairs: 2229 – 2231

For these three years, one major political and military event dominated known space: the Second Korx War. Although only the five ‘good’ races and the Korx were directly involved, no other race stayed truly neutral. The Snathi and Yor would be caught up in the maelstrom of events and destroyed as sovereign powers, while the Arceans and Thalans, though supposedly neutral, secretly supplied the Korx with weapons and ships. The Arceans’ motives were simple enough – they intended to play the allies and Korx off against each other as a means to assist their own bid for galactic power. The Thalans’ motives were much more complicated, and will be covered in detail in the section on the Alignment War.

For the allies, the war would bring them closer together (except for the arrogant Drath). A long period of interplanetary tourism between 2230 and 2231, fueled by the ongoing Galactic Olympics, helped xenophilia flourish between the benevolent races of the galaxy, whose cultures started in some ways to blur. By 2232, all four had alliances except between the Terrans and Iconians.

Second Korx War

Causes of the War

Even as the disastrous First Korx War concluded, Terran diplomats had been winning a major diplomatic victory. On May 1st, 2230, Virginia Montgomery (biographical link), Terran Special Ambassador to Toria, announced the creation of a formal military alliance between the Torian Confederation and Terran Alliance.

The move stunned the Korx, but not enough to thwart their ongoing plans to finish the Terrans once and for all. Barely two months after the Pact of Toria, the Korx issued a ludicrous demand for the Terrans to cede James Colony. Everyone in both powers knew this was a declaration of war, and sure enough, following the Terran refusal on July 8th, the Korx military mobilized. To their shock, however, it was not merely the Torians who responded. Between the Pact of Toria and the Korx declaration of war, Special Ambassador Montgomery had secretly visited the Altarian, Iconian, and Drath governments and obtained promises of support in the event of a Korx attack. In an emergency session of the United Planets, the respective ambassadors of the three races demanded the Korx cease military action against the Terrans or face the consequences. The Korx response is generally not translated into English; suffice it to say the answer was no. The Second Korx War had begun.

Forces and Strategies

Of the five “Allied Polities”, the Terrans were still the weakest. Admiral Roshenkov had reorganized the ESS into a number of task forces, of which only three existed at this point: TF 5 (Commodore Hannah Garcia, 4 capital ships), TF 63 (Cmdr. Bernard Mzu, 3 capital ships) and TF 37 (Cmdr. Lillian Mintaka, 2 capital ships), the last of which was intended for home defense only. Other allied powers were considerably stronger; the Altarian Republican Navy could muster almost two dozen cruisers, while the Iconians’ “Defense Force”, despite the name, was well prepared for long-range strikes with multiple invasion transports. Although individually outmatched by the Korx, the combined forces of the allies easily were superior. Coordination, however, could be poor. Though the two members of the Terran-Torian alliance were quite willing to cooperate, others were more hesitant, especially the Drath, who throughout the war oscillated between paranoia and arrogance when dealing with their allies. A Combined Military Committee was established based on Altaria to assist interracial offensives, but its effectiveness was limited.

The Korx had none of these problems. Their intensely capitalistic society was highly meritocratic, with Korx succeeding or failing through their own abilities, and this included the military. There was no such thing as a Korx political appointee; all military commanders held their rank through innate skill. Competition between commanders was rife, however, and this struggle for promotion would cause the fall of Iconia, among other disasters (see later - link to an alternative opinion). The Korx military was larger than any allied force but that of the Torians; however, it was outnumbered by the allies as a group. In addition, though Korx singularity drivers were equal or superior to allied technology, the mere three worlds they controlled lacked the industrial base to fight the manufacturing capabilities of the twenty-seven allied planets. To make matters worse for the Korx, their economy, always heavily dependent on trade, had been crippled by the loss of trade when four separate races declared war.

(link to more detailed analysis)

The following map depicts the key campaign areas of the war's beginning. Note the Korx occupation of Dratha IV.

April 21, 2011 4:33:57 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Wicked post Qr-I love this style of AAR very much 

About time you returned to the fold mr...

June 10, 2011 6:10:53 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Wow, has it really been two months? Next post will go up this weekend.

Incidentally, the above contains a typo - the war actually began in 2229, not 2230.

June 10, 2011 3:16:59 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Just get on and post QR we have waited far too long lol 

June 13, 2011 9:50:23 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
The 'weekend' is now over Qr....
April 25, 2012 12:25:25 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Nice! Please post some more of either the Drengin AAR or this, as I love both of them!

June 3, 2013 7:40:11 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Excellent AAR i hope to see more!!

June 13, 2013 6:08:41 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Big fan of your wor Qrtxian..keep it coming 

October 26, 2013 11:25:56 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

As mentioned elsewhere, I'm resuming this in an effort to try and finish it before GalCiv III comes out (also, being based on a completed game means I don't have to wait to get yet another new mouse). Bumping so I'll know where it is when I finish the next post.

In the meantime, here's the map mentioned but inexplicably not uploaded in the last "real" post:

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000500   Page Render Time: