Steam Powered Supcom 2

No, it's not steampunk.

By on January 8, 2010 10:24:44 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Resist_The_...

Join Date 03/2009
+3

Link!

I was reading that article and in there it says that supcom2 will be fully Integrated with steam. I thought stardock and GPG were on good terms, why would GPG decide to not use impulse? I'm not saying that They should've only used that but come on, everybody hates it when you HAVE to use steam. Also it would seem they're "streamlining" the economy. I think I just got an idea for a mod....

76 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 8, 2010 11:09:28 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Yeah, this basically means Impulse won't be carrying it.

*shrugs*

January 8, 2010 11:15:43 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

It is sooo much better than trying to play with friends any other way (do I have to mention Gamespy... Red Alert3... O. M. G.). Steam makes it effortless (fun infact) to setup a game, its a pity they can't integrate into more than one platform (and cross platofrm, lol) but ONE is better than NONE for me.

January 8, 2010 11:34:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I think that forced integration with one particular client (Steam or otherwise) is a VERY BAD thing.  It discourages proper competition.

January 8, 2010 12:37:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I was really looking forward to this game, but if it's only on Steam then I probably won't be buying it. I already have Orange Box on there, and that's all the money I'm willing to put into a service that enables my games to potentially be stolen from me. (hackers, phishers, Valve enforcing ex post facto rules again, etc.)

January 8, 2010 3:49:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That's too bad; I also won't use Steam.  I was unintentionally exposed to it when I bought Half Life 2 (boxed version!) and will never touch it again.

January 8, 2010 5:12:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Only on steam?  *Sigh*, well, I won't be buying it then.

January 8, 2010 5:32:13 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

NOOOOOOOOO! I had hopes for SupCom2, and they were just brutally killed. I seem to remember Frogboy at one time saying it would definetly be on Impulse, but I can't seem to find that thread anymore, and I guess this pretty much kills any chance of that happening.

Quoting Darvin3,
Only on steam?  *Sigh*, well, I won't be buying it then.

January 8, 2010 5:35:41 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Man, if today wasnt bad enough...

January 8, 2010 6:05:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I also think this Gas Powered Games giving Stardock the middle finger because the Demigod disaster. They don't like Stardock anymore because of Gamestop's mistake (released it earlier), and are publishing through Square Enix and using Steam, snubbing Stardock and Impulse. If Gamestop didn't fuck up we may have seen a Stardock published Supcom.

Steam is irritating  because it has to be running to run your games. That isn't so with Impulse. Someone should send a petition to Gas Powered Games asking to drop Steam.

I'm also worried about the simplification of the resource system in Supcom 2. it was a challenge, but thats what the made the game fun. It seems that GPG is trying to cater to the dumb shooter/blow-shit-up types.

January 8, 2010 6:17:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GeneralEtrius,
I also think this Gas Powered Games giving Stardock the middle finger because the Demigod disaster. They don't like Stardock anymore because of Gamestop's mistake (released it earlier), and are publishing through Square Enix and using Steam, snubbing Stardock and Impulse. If Gamestop didn't fuck up we may have seen a Stardock published Supcom.

Steam is irritating  because it has to be running to run your games. That isn't so with Impulse. Someone should send a petition to Gas Powered Games asking to drop Steam.

I'm also worried about the simplification of the resource system in Supcom 2. it was a challenge, but thats what the made the game fun. It seems that GPG is trying to cater to the dumb shooter/blow-shit-up types.

Or, instead of out of spite or vengeance, GPG went with Steam because they have an 8-10x market share advantage over Impulse. Demigod = fairly low budget niche game. Sup Com 2 = big budget mass-audience game

January 8, 2010 6:51:04 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I'm all for buying games, but screw Steam. I will have to look to other means..

January 8, 2010 7:09:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Supcom 2 requires Steam?

Ah well, more money to spend on other things, I suppose.

January 8, 2010 10:20:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This makes me a sad panda...

January 9, 2010 5:01:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh that was clear at the moment when Square Enix got the rights. I think GPG couldn't do anything.

I hoped it will be sold over all sites and dosn't need Steam. Ok, no SupCom 2 for me.

January 9, 2010 5:14:05 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

And why do we all hate steam so much? Patch downloading, integrated friends list thats voice capable, store, ect. And lots of games just use it as a validating service.

January 9, 2010 5:28:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting SoundOfDeath,
And why do we all hate steam so much? Patch downloading, integrated friends list thats voice capable, store, ect. And lots of games just use it as a validating service.

Because your game will never be realy yours.

January 9, 2010 5:30:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting SoundOfDeath,

Having to run it while playing them game is a big one. It has to be installed to run the game, and you have to be connected to the internet. Yes, I know there is an offline mode, but you have to connect to the internet first, change the settings to offline, then run it. And if your internet connection isn't very good (like mine was a couple weeks ago) you end up having to wait like 10-15 minutes just for Steam to startup.

Oh yeah, and when you buy a boxed version of one of their games, you still have to install Steam.

January 9, 2010 5:45:11 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

I had thought they'd use GfWlive. But of the two, Steamworks makes the most sense.

Impulse wasn't an option because Impulse Reactor does not presently have an in-game overlay for doing MP matchmaking.

In Demigod, GPG had to code all the lobby stuff. Impulse Reactor only provided account and game lists in a DB the game then access and display (and does) but that's extra work.

The Impulse overlay wasn't supposed to be released until Elemental originally but a very very basic version was put out with Demigod so that players could chat. Some o f the beta testers can provide more info on this as they were there at the time. 

Anyway, as a practical matter, SupCom 2 had either Games for Windows Live or Steamworks.  I wish Valve could make Steamworks work without their game client (Impulse Reactor, as others have pointed out, doesn't require Impulse to be installed).

January 9, 2010 6:19:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

everybody hates it when you HAVE to use steam

Thats a lie, plenty of ppl don't care either way.

January 9, 2010 7:06:42 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
I had thought they'd use GfWlive. But of the two, Steamworks makes the most sense.

Impulse wasn't an option because Impulse Reactor does not presently have an in-game overlay for doing MP matchmaking.

In Demigod, GPG had to code all the lobby stuff. Impulse Reactor only provided account and game lists in a DB the game then access and display (and does) but that's extra work.

The Impulse overlay wasn't supposed to be released until Elemental originally but a very very basic version was put out with Demigod so that players could chat. Some o f the beta testers can provide more info on this as they were there at the time. 

Anyway, as a practical matter, SupCom 2 had either Games for Windows Live or Steamworks.  I wish Valve could make Steamworks work without their game client (Impulse Reactor, as others have pointed out, doesn't require Impulse to be installed).

It still means GPG kinda backed out of the whole Gamers Bill of Rights thing, Frogboy.

January 10, 2010 12:55:17 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Polynomial,

Quoting Frogboy,
reply 18

It still means GPG kinda backed out of the whole Gamers Bill of Rights thing, Frogboy.

...isn't the Bill of Rights a Stardock thing? Why would GPG somehow be bound by that? And beyond that, it's not like it is some sort of enforced agreement anyway.

January 10, 2010 2:14:12 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Crassmaster,

...isn't the Bill of Rights a Stardock thing? Why would GPG somehow be bound by that? And beyond that, it's not like it is some sort of enforced agreement anyway.

No, GPG took part in creation of the Bill of Rights and, if I am not mistaken, Chris Taylor signed it.

link:

www.edge-online.com/blogs/the-gamers-bill-rights

January 10, 2010 6:03:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

They might still use both. Dawn of War 2 uses both Steam and GfWL, Steam basically for DRM and GfWL for multiplayer.

Having two required third party programmes kind of killed any desire I had to buy that game.

Anti-customer policy is the wave of the future, man!   

January 10, 2010 7:29:38 AM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

No, it has been confirmed already, that Supreme Commander 2 will use Steamworks.

January 10, 2010 8:56:16 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Gabe - Frogboy  1:0 

will not buy that game

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000609   Page Render Time: