Ascension and Evolution - The Story of mankind

By on December 1, 2009 2:07:48 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

AdmiralMaximus

Join Date 01/2009
+6

Hello Fellow AAR Enthusiasts.

As it has been remarked by some of us the activity on the AAR forume has been somewhat diminished. We all agree that this is a sad reality, but I reufse to let this damper my project of creating an immersive and intriguing AAR universe that we can all enjoy.

The end of "From the Ashes" gave birth to the sentience of the now dangerous Helios AI. How will Mankind react to this new threat? Are the Drengin trully subdued as is the collective thought of the Federation officials? Is the new government apt to master the delicate diplomatic situation currently permeating the galaxy? And what of our heroes? Will Nolan find Altaria? Will the once proud Navy be able to endure without its powerful and charismatic Commodore?

Only time will tell.

Without further delay I present to you the second installment of "The Story of Mankind" entitled "Ascension and Evolution".

cheers folks.

155 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 12, 2010 3:14:52 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Reports of the demise of this AAR seem to be unfounded!

My provisional comments:

Quoting AdmiralMaximus,
Very good questions chancellor

1)There will be a thalan related post soon. I am simply trying to decide in what way is best to incorporate them. I also have to take into account where I think the game will go in order to make sure my story continues to make sense. I debated a long time on how best to introduce them and in the end I am not sure if the whole hive oriented, bugs with no individualism way was really the best.

According to Stardock canon, this would be more accurate. The Thalans may be a hive but they're not mindless drones. I would have to agree that might be more interesting - "Borg" hive minds are a dime a dozen.

April 12, 2010 3:17:34 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Quoting AdmiralMaximus,

2)Though it does not seem like it at the moment the Nolan plot line is actually the most important to date. This little conflict with the carinoids minor race will not tax the Federation's war machine to an extreme like a war with a major race would. I declared war on the carinoids just as they were starting to really build up their military. In previous experiences I've foud that if you leave a little minor race unattended to during the whole game it can have quite a powerful fleet near the end. I once played a game where there was only me and another enemy left and it was coming down to the wire. When i first declared war on them I was notified that a minor race had declared war on me. I thought nothing of it. I continued my war of attrition with my enemy until the minor race fleets arrived (a year later lol). He had approximately twenty ships of large or bigger scale and it eventually tipped the balance into my enemy's favour making me lose the game. Since then I am wary of minor races, as is Da Souza .

Interestingly, the Carinoids are one of only two minor races I've ever seen this happen with (the other is the Scottlingas). The others are weaklings no matter when in the game it is. I've seen, for instance, the Akilians live until 2335 or so (in DL, so that's ten years), yet still be a pack of feckless fools who fill the space around their homeworld with freighters, constructors, and a single pathetic 3-attack defender. Out of curiousity, what minor race was this in your above game?

As for your cryptic comments about the fifth major race... I'm guessing either the Altarians or, more likely, the return of the Helios AI, possibly as some variant/combination with the Yor - I found the "N-4, N-6" designations of the combat mechs in "From the Ashes" significant, and I like the thought of the Yor taking other rogue AIs under their wing, so to speak. And given that you're a Dune fan and have made several references to the Butlerian Jihad prequels, I fully expect more non-organic bad guys.

(Not that I expect or want answers to any of this yet - that would be like reading the ending to a book first).

Keep up the good work.

April 15, 2010 1:48:41 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Carinoids System

TFS Acadia

CINC CTOP

Admiral Georgiy Konev commanding

“Missile Launch confirmed.” Barked Acadia’s first officer

The enemy starbase loomed in the distance. Everyone on the bridge watched as the large nuclear-tipped projectile sped towards its target. A nuclear explosion was always something quite phenomenal to behold, almost beautiful.

Admiral Konev’s lips pressed so tightly against one another that they turned white.

“T-minus thirty seconds to explosion”

The corner of his mouth turned faintly upwards as he tried to conceal his excitement. Soon the enemy presence here would be obliterated to a million pieces and Operation Swift Justice could finally savour its first objective met.

The successful defense of the Carinoids Homeworld had gone heavily in the enemy’s favour. The entire destruction of a large Terran squadron had shaken Konev’s faith in his abilities but the Prime Magistrate had reiterated his confidence in his command abilities by putting him incharge of ground operations. Of course grounds operations could not begin without the Carinoids being cleared of the orbit around their Homeworld.

“T-minus ten seconds”

The transports carrying the ground contingent of Swift Justice had already left nearby Outpost 007 in the Bond system. They were on-route for the enemy planet.

“T-minus 3”

Konev inhaled a deep breath.

2”

Word from the SF-112 Thunderhawk squadron in the system was that they had located the enemy squadron. It was speeding towards the planet to help bolster its space based defenses.

1”

Konev had already thought of a different plan to make up for the loss of Camelot squadron. Following the destruction of this starbase he would speed towards Carinoids II and assist the Thunderhawk squadron in clearing out enemy fighters making the orbit safe for the transports already on route

“…”

Konev stood rigid as a post. His eyes stared intensely at the screen in front of him. He waited.

Nothing happened.

The admiral’s eyes darted to the right to where his first officer was standing.

“Captain?”

The first officer was stunned. His mouth formed an O as if he was asking himself just what the heck was happening.

“Sir our computer no longer detects the missile. For all intents and purposes the missile detonated…sir”

“Or it was disabled.”

“Magnify image on supposed impact point.”

The image on the screen changed and perceptible in the middle was a small pile of wreckage floating in every which direction.

“Clearly our starbase has an anti-missile system of some sort. Bring us to minimum safe distance for a nuke explosion and fir off every single remaining nuke we have. Furthermore fire a salvo of conventional harpoon missiles. They won’t know which ones are armed with a nuclear warhead and by the ti…”

“INCOMING!”

Konev’s face froze as his thoughts were wrenched away by the scream of his first officer.

“Multiple longe range projectiles coming our way. Fifty-two in all. Arming all triple A batteries.”

The enemy was responding

“Increase speed to flank.”

Konev sat down as his ship accelerated. “I want you to keep closing the distance”

“Sir, if we do that we head straight into their barrage. We won’t have much maneuvering room.”

Konev refused to be kept at bay. Depending on how ammunition the starbase had it could keep the Acadia far enough that its attacks would be much less effective. Without being able to properly maneuver into good firing positions, and evade shots at the same time the starbase could potentially hold out long enough for enemy reinforcements to arrive.

Konev wanted this done. According to his intel this starbase was in no way capable of repelling a nuclear armed frigate. Intel fed to him by FISA and the central council. Intel that was beginning to be continuously wrong.

“I want full power to our bow magnetic armour. Create a wall of Triple AAA ahead of us.” He looked at his helmsman, “I hope you feel lucky. Starboard twenty degrees down sixty. Let’s outrun his shots from his rotational turrets. The layout of this place shows that most of their turrets are heavy caliber rotation turrets, the rest ore small anti-fighter rapid fire flak and triple A. Our armour can take that…for a while.”

“Here it comes!”

Above the Acadia’s stern Howitzer shells exploded violently. The shockwaves sent reverberations throughout the ship that made it shake somewhat. One shell, issued from a particularly large cannon, exploded and sent everyone rocking. Those who weren’t already hanging on were thrown to the floor.

“Damage report.”

“None sir. Believe it or not that one was actually far away.”

Konev drew a short breath, “Let’s make sure we don’t get hit by one of those, shall we.”

A short moment later the explosions stopped. That was the first salvo. The Carinoids starbase had already had time to fire three more.

The Acadia was now in a position of going straight at the starbase, and also in a direct line towards incoming fire.

“Open fire with all triple A batteries.”

Immediately the Acadia began to spit an enormous amount of fire. The next salvo hit this barrage. Twenty clicks ahead of the ship explosions began appear as the shells were destroyed in flight. Very few actually made it through to directly affect the ship. Acadia reached her flank speed and was still heading straight for the starbase.

A round thudded against the hull but ricocheted off thanks to its angle and the ship’s magnetic armour. Acadia had survived the second wave, but much more was coming and it was getting increasingly hard for all the batteries to successfully intercept incoming direct fire at high speed.

As Acadia closed her distance with the target some rounds got through. Most were deflected by the armour, but some made the ship pitch and sway.

“Approaching minimum distance for safe detonation.”

“Keep going.” Said Konev “Remove all nuclear missile safeties for impact, and fire off two salvos of conventional harpoons.”

Acadia continued to speed towards the starbase.

“Prepare to fire on my mark. Helm, spool the hyperdrive”

At that moment a shell made it past the overheating magnetic armour and tore a small piece of the starboard wing off the Harvard class frigate. The ship began to shake even more as small explosions were going off all around her. The Triple As were having a hard time stopping the vast amount of firepower directed at the frigate. 

“Holy shit they’ve got enough to take down a whole fleet.”

Another explosion hit the port wing and took out about half of it. Some of the ships missile bays were located in the wings. Konev had no choice but to fire off his salvos now or he would be torn to pieces and would never have as good a chance as he had now with his weapons being destroyed. Another large explosion went off next to the communications array and damaged it severely

“Fire!”

Instantly 32 missiles were launched with an extra sixty four immediately after. Eleven of these were tipped with a nuclear warhead.

“Up six degrees. Prepare for hyperspeed.”

“Engines ready sir.

“Engage.”

A cloud of smoke and explosions had followed the Acadia in as a testament to the immense barrage of fire it had sustained. In the large cluster of explosions approaching as the ship approached, there was suddenly a small plume of blue ion cloud shooting out faster than the eye could see.

As the missiles closed in on the target many were destroyed. Some reached the outer rings and made large explosions. As the mass of missiles approached zigzagging to evade flak and triple A one made it over a close flak explosion. IT then dipped shaprly as a couple of rounds of triple A skidded its fin tail. The missile made it past the last turrets blindspot just as a harpoon impacted on it and blew it to pieces. The nuke made contact with the starbase’s hull. As a blinding light enveloped and reduced it to shreds, the brave Acadia was gone and safely out of harm’s way. 

Konev had successfully launched an attack. He could say that he had fought with all of his capabilities and assets and overcome a situation of unfavorable odds with courage and audacity.

“Sensors indicate a confirmed nuclear explosion. You did it sir.”

His ship had been mauled, but his crew was safe. Konev was seething with anger. First it had been the assurance that a Helix squadron, a large one still, was enough to neutralize that orbital defense ships. Now it was this starbase having an incredible amount of firepower when the opposite was expected. This was not planned correctly and his orders were putting many lives at risk for no gain. Konev didn’t need to finish first in his class to know that.

“Sir we’ve lost all long range communications. Sector frequencies still available but its operational distance keeps oscillating. We’re being hailed sir.”

“Good. I’ll tell him exactly how I feel about this whole operation.”

As the image appeared Konev spoke before even looking at the man’s face “Sir, this is grade a bullshit.”

“I agree Admiral.”

Konev’s head shot up, it wasn’t the Prime Magistrate’s voice he had heard.

“Oberkomander!”

The admiral’s right hand shot up in a salute.

“Now look here son. I don’t know how it is exactly that you’ve been promoted to Admiral so early and given command of this entire operation. By the skills you’ve just demonstrated however, I’d say you almost deserve it.”

Konev stayed in his crisp salute.

“Our mutual friend has clearly been deceiving us both. I suggest you and I work together to bring this war to a successful end and save lives from the egomaniacal Prime Magistrate. His is not a military mind but one of political deceit and backstabbing. For now we must concentrate on bringing this to a quick end. As of now I am taking command of your taskforce, and that includes the army group contingent. I will be replacing the generals of each division and allowing them to appoint them their own command staff. You stay on board with me, I can use someone with your skill.”

Konev smiled. “Aye aye sir. In will gladly disobey the orders upon which you have been relieved of your command. The Navy protects its own.”

April 15, 2010 1:49:37 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

three posts in four days.

Im on fire!

April 15, 2010 1:51:41 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Hiya fellas,

I’m not sure how important this information is given the advanced state of the AAR but I found this lying around on a piece of paper when cleaning out my laptop bag. I know some people are always interested in knowing the game parameters.

Galaxy size: Gigantic

Habitable planets: Common

# of planets: Abundant

# of stars: abundant

Density: Loose clusters

Anomolies: occasional

Asteroids: Abundant

Tech rate: Normal

Minor Races: Random

*Research Victory has been disabled.

Race: Humans

Race abilities:

Weapons +10

Defense +10

Morale +10

Research +20

Trade +25

Diplomacy +25

Repair +20

Solidarity +20

Trade Routes +1

Luck +25 (I always liked this one)

Courage +25

Loyalty+10

Logistics +10

***Having given you these details, I would appreciate any restraint on trying to give me sound strategy tips given my race abilities. The way I am playing this game is that I enjoy telling a story based on a game that I enjoy playing. Whether or not I win the game is hardly of importance to me. I simply wish to tell a good story based on what happens inside the game.***

Hiya fellas,

I’m not sure how important this information is given the advanced state of the AAR but I found this lying around on a piece of paper when cleaning out my laptop bag. I know some people are always interested in knowing the game parameters.

Galaxy size: Gigantic

Habitable planets: Common

# of planets: Abundant

# of stars: abundant

Density: Loose clusters

Anomolies: occasional

Asteroids: Abundant

Tech rate: Normal

Minor Races: Random

*Research Victory has been disabled.

Race: Humans

Race abilities:

Weapons +10

Defense +10

Morale +10

Research +20

Trade +25

Diplomacy +25

Repair +20

Solidarity +20

Trade Routes +1

Luck +25 (I always liked this one)

Courage +25

Loyalty+10

Logistics +10

***Having given you these details, I would appreciate any restraint on trying to give me sound strategy tips given my race abilities. The way I am playing this game is that I enjoy telling a story based on a game that I enjoy playing. Whether or not I win the game is hardly of importance to me. I simply wish to tell a good story based on what happens inside the game.***

April 15, 2010 1:54:44 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

damn double posts.

thanks for the comments qrtxian; to answer your question I beleive the minor race in questions was the akillians. I may be wrong it happened in the very first galciv2 game I ever played.

April 15, 2010 3:11:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

You spoil us admiral..another fantastic post as for your story telling skills they are brilliant on par with the best of em (i read alot)

The minor race becoming a challenge happened to me as well, but it was my own doing, i gave the lentzlandians 7 of my mediocre planets and some tech (a generation older than my own current tech level) and alot of money and a few of ships.(I had a massive surplus of everything)

i was pleased when they put my 'gifts' to constructive use and after a few turns declared war on me,after i harrased them to hell by parkign transports near their worlds it was a good change of pace as i wanted to see if a minor race had ambitions if given a helping hand.Sadly it dosent work all the time. You should try it if you have resources to spare.

April 16, 2010 5:35:01 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Admiral 2 more superb posts-love the ever growing complexity of the story

One question: is Admiral Konev 23? If so how on earth could such a youngster be promoted immediately to that rank?  I may have missed something there...

April 19, 2010 2:35:19 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I'm happy you caught on to that.

Basically Konev is more or less straight out of the academy. Since the Navy is but a shadow of its former self with the loss of most of its capital ships to Helios and the reforms, there aren't a lot of new officers and those are left are veterans of the war and completely loyal to Muckler.

What I tried to simulate here was that a young and ordinary cadet with big ambitions and perhaps an unnoticed potential being heavily influenced by the most important person of the Federation, it's Prime Magistrate.

Because of the reforms the new CINC of the Navy is the Prime Magistrate; meaning he could do whatever he wants. In the last posts I alluded to Muckler being pushed out of his position as Magistrate of defense meaning he no longer received information form the central council. As such Da Souza was easily able to Promote the young Konev to admiral and give him command of the entire operation while at the same time replacing the older and more experienced commanders who were loyal to Muckler without the latter being aware

I hope that sort of makes sense.

Happy to answer any questions on the story except where it might be going

cheers

April 19, 2010 2:36:41 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Totally forgot to spread the good news.

My game is up and running again!!!! will be able to post some pics soon.

April 24, 2010 1:44:18 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Lovely Admiral and thanks for the explanation

As an ex Army Officer I can honestly say that I wouldnt like to be in Konev's shoes. Graduating from RMA Sandhurst as a 2Lt taking over a Troop of 3 Challenger Main Battle Tanks was hair raising enough for me....

April 28, 2010 2:50:06 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

working on the next post. Will hopefull ybe up before the end of the week. Can't work on it tonight though. The Habs are in game 7 against the caps.

Allez les glorieux!

Mambaman: I always respect any officer of any army. The courage to lead men into battle is something few people are able to grasp. Always thought of going to the RMC myself.

cheers

May 2, 2010 12:32:49 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Looking forward to that Admiral and thanks

May 5, 2010 4:10:14 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

The saga continues! This is certainly among the most exciting wars against a minor race I've read of!

BTW, in regards to the information on Admiral Konev and his situation: what exactly is the Navy rank system, anyway? Just curious, as Bradshaw was a Commodore, which in modern navies is outranked by an Admiral - not here, though.

May 5, 2010 3:58:08 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

QRTXIAN: I will try my best to answer your question considering my limited knowledge on official Naval ranks. My initial intent was to use the ranking system of the Royal Navy. In the said system you are correct in that the rank of commodore comes after the three ranks of commander and just before the four ranks of admiral. 

By ranking Bradshaw as a Commodore I wanted to try and add to the fact that Bradshaw's aspirations were always for the good of mankind and not personal purposes. Furthermore as CinC of the Navy his rank is really just for show. By making him a commodore and just under his admirals it is another sign of trust that he had in his admirals and another sign for his lack of pretention.

On the other hand, when Da Souza (the new CinC of the Navy following the reforms) decided to promote the young Konev all the way to Admiral, I wanted to show his lack of connection with reality both with the officers of the Navy and the with the young man's actual capabilities.

Lastly. the made-up rank of Oberkommander is a way to show that the CinC's rank is of little importance. When Da Souza became CinC I made a point of making sure that Muckler remained as his #2, with a lot of power,  and become magistrate of defense, therefore with no direct command over a unit. basically the Cinc of the Navy could give himself the rank of private if he wanted, the rank itself is realy only ceremonial since all power is vested in him as the CinC.

On a side note. The title of Oberkommander comes for the German OKW (Ober Kommando der Wermacht" in WWII. I thought this was fitting for a man like Klaus Muckler.

hope that helps.

And without further ado......

May 5, 2010 4:30:10 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Carinoids Homeworld
Low orbit
Preperations of drop procedures for Invasion Navy Group
Oberkommander Klaus Muckler commanding

The three SF-112 Thunderhawks streaked in above the planet's atmosphere. Using the atmospheric rebound to increase their speed they kept their trajectory as close as posible to the threshold between atmosphere and open space. They had been on this path for the better part of the standard day, skipping up and then dipping back down until the rebound made them skip again.They did this actively and with great finesse, but they were not putting on a show or demon strating their great skill as competent navy pilots.

Their sensor pings bombarded the planet's surface as they located important ground targets and fed them into a databank uploading to the flagship. Two full wings were affected to this mission of outer atmospheric reconaissance (OAR). In fact the two full wings were all that was left to the original four Squadrons affected to Operation Swift Justice in the beginning. One had been lost in a foolish direct attack upon the planet. Due to bad intel Camelot squadron had lost its three wings and had been utterly anihilated by the Carinoids.

The second squadron consisting of another three wings had sustained heavy losses after engaging a enemy force of fighters attempting to regain the relative safety of the homeworld in order to mount a better defensive. Two of its three wings of thunderhawks had been destroyed.

Of the two reserve squadrons of fighters, each consisting of only one wing each, only one had managed to reach the rally point safely with the other passing too close to an enemy starbase and being completely destroyed by a volley of AI-guidance missiles. Operational failures were grossly evident throughout the entire campaign so far.

As such all that remained to the original task force of Swift justice was the Acadia (damaged), the two figther wings conducting OAR, and the Navy's flaship the TFS Menelaus commanded by Muckler himself. The latter was keeping a safe distance in high orbit over the planet and receiving the information on the ground defense, and especially AA defenses with specifications on weapons capable of intercepting drop ships.

Muckler had to assume that any intel compiled by the central council prior to and pertaining to Swift Justice was shabby at best and thus sent his fighters to recon aggressively in order to gain the clearest picure possible with the defensive situation on the ground. The Carinoids had already put up an effective enouhg defense that the situation on the cusp of failure. Should the orbiting ships not be able to neutralize effectively the ground defenses immense strain would be put on the ground troops and the chances of victory would be slimmer. Muckler wanted to take full advantage of the space superiority he now enjoyed in orbit over the enemy homeworld. He remembered all too clearly the disaster of the first invasion of Kona during the Drengin War.

Onboard the bridge of the Menelaus the bridge crew went about their duties compilling the incoming intel from the recon groups and assessing target priority. The Menelaus had tremendous firepower. No other ship in the galaxy was as powerful as she. . Muckler sat in the captain's chair with a look of intent and purpose on his face. A holoprojector displayed the enemy homeworld the size of a basketball in front of him. Red dots appeared on the 3d image as the crew were in the process of targeting ground military installations.

Muckler was not in a hurry. Now that he had orbital superiority he wanted to take his time making sure he found as many strongpoints as possible to make the gound job, the dirty work, that much easier. The Obekommander had studied carefully the intel he had received from the past two days of OAR. The Carinoids did not have an intricate system of defense. It seemed as if even they were surprised by all the action going on around them and the sudden turn of events when war was first declared.

They had not expected it at all. They knew all about the tensions between them and the Federation but yet they were completely unprepared for an eventual attack. This did not sit right with Klaus. His theory of a llink between the Korath and Da Souza made more sense. Someone must have been reassuring the Carinoids and their leaders that war would never come. The Korath could therefore continue to feed them all sorts of military hardware. Da Souza had then declared war suddenly...or had the time already been pre-decided by them? Muckler shook the thoughts away. There were more important things at play for the moment.

Two more days passed for conducting OAR operations. Some of the Terran fighters were harrased by planetside AA defenses, but when the Carinoids quickly realized how they were simply giving away their positions by firing inconclusively at the fighters, all planetside weapons capable of orbital defense were given the order to cease fire by the Carinoids high command.

Delayed thanks to an order given by Muckler earlier in the week, the troops tranports carrying the invasion force arrived soon after OAR operations were stopped. The four heavy tranports had narrowly escaped destruction at the hands of an enemy squadron, once again due to bad intel and the insufficient amount of forces deployed to the theater of operations. They were originally scheduled to arrive before the remaining ships of the task force could muster and destroy the enemy defending the planetary orbit. Had Muckler not delayed them they would have arrived with no defenses and no allied ships to aid them. It would have been a disaster of terrible proportions. Millions dead and trillions lost in hardware; the Oberkommander had saved the day.

But today was a new day.

Muckler drew a breath and stood up from his chair. Below the Menelaus the four imposing heavy transports hovered and awaited his instructions. Five divisions, including an armoured division, in addition to a Tir-Quan battallion were dispersed among them.

"Dawn will be breaking over the capital city in one hour sir." announced the ship's first officer.

"Commence bombardment procedures. Remaining fighters minus a CAP of five ships to form up on Acadia. Make sure our missiles hit their targets. I don't want any collateral damage." and the he muttered to himself

"I'm going to need this brave race when this is over

The Menelaus moved into firing position while on the other side of the planet the Acadia did the same. On the order of the Oberkommander both ships commenced firing. Missiles streaked towards the planet at high speed. From the ground the population huddled into bomb shelters as the sirens wailed throughout the major cities. Like asteroids streaking across the night sky the missiles sped towarsd their intended targets. The planet's AA defenses opened fire and over the capital city clouds of flak exploded and innumerable tracer bullets went up in the air in an attempt to intercept and destroy the dangerous weapons before they impacted. The government of the Carinodis was nearing panic. With their orbital defenses shattered the next line of defense was now the last; Ground warfare.

The bombardment missiles hit their intended targets with ferocious velocity. military installations including fortresses, barracks, airfields, and numerous communication systems were destroyed. Weapons and armour were destroyed on the ground before they could have a chance at being manned prior to the coming invasion.

The Carinodis government watched in horror as their best defenses were destroyed with wve after wave of incoming missiles hitting their targets with increased efficiency everytime what with the AA defenses being targeted.

An hour later Muckler watchedhis holo-display. "Acadia has dispensed munitions sir."

"Order Konev to form up on us and order the fighters to prepare for ground support missions. Green light to all transports. Commence drop procedures."

The Terran war machine kicked into hight gear. Hangar bays opened to allow the larger drop ships carrying the armour to exit the tranports and start the descent to the ground. Smaller dropships were detached from the sides and began to also head towards their respective DZs.

A show of force with an intent to impress.

"Sir incomming transmission...from the Carinoids government sir." announced the communications officer.

Muckler smiled. "Order General Leclerc and his Tir-Quan battalion to initiate order fifty-seven. I want the government offices secured without a single casualty". He wasn't talking about human casualties.

Three hours later the General sent a message to the Oberkommander in orbit announcing the capitulation of the Carinoids and the succesfull occupation of the capital city. many of the defenders had thrown down their arms and surrendered in the face of overwhelming firepower brought by Mankind. The message sent by the General also described some of the very sensitive information acquired from the archives of their government. Information that would be very useful to Muckler and Ohio in the very near future.

May 5, 2010 6:33:43 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Lovely Admiral-I love your battle sequences (not enough of em lol)

KUTGW

May 9, 2010 9:06:39 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

most excellent.keep it coming.

May 11, 2010 10:08:39 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Undisclosed Location

Imperial Prison Camp

In a fiefdom of House Vire

Nolan had lost track of time. had it been days, weeks, months? None of it mattered anymore. It was too late.

"Speak Human!"

Nolan grimaced in pain as another blow was brought to his midsection. The two guards standing over him were enjoying their daily work. Nolan gasped as one of them kicked him in the back of the knee forcing him to fall on his knees. The other delivered a hard punch to his right cheek making a nasty crunching sound as Nolan's jaw was dislocated...again. Nolan fell to the ground and tried to catch his breath.

"All you have to do is speak you pathetic germ. Tell us the decription code to your datadisc and the suffering will end."

Nolan spat out some blood and looked up at the guard who had been speaking. He let out a dry and soft laugh. This made the guard wind up his leg to kick Nolan once again. The guard brought his leg back and swung with all his...

"ENOUGH!"

The guards looked behind them. The one who was in the middle of his kick almost stumbled on himself such was the force of his swing. He immediately recovered and stood at perfect attention along with his partner. Nolan couldn't see who it was.

"You've been at this or how long now? Four months? And the prisonner has still refused to tell you anything." the stranger snorted a laugh. "You are nothing but two incompetent brutes."

"But Sir..." one of them tried to interject

"Get out now."

"Yes your highness."

Sebastien tried to look up but his left eye being so swollen he could not see a thing or manipulate his aching body to be in a position to look at his saviour.

The two guards left the dark damp cell without looking back. Their boots thudding on the ground as they walked away down the corridor, Nolan could feel the reverberations on the ground.

He tried to sit up but his midsection felt as if his internal organs had just played a violent game of musical chairs. Still he pushed on his arms to lift himself up jsut enough to try and sit with his back against the wall. He looked up at the Drengin who had chased the guards away and saw a face he had not seen in a long time.

"Prince of Vire!?"

"Hello old friend. I am happy to see that the ravages of our war have left you unscarred and safe. it is a pity our two species was not able to coexist at the pinnacle of our golden ages. It seems both our people have problems with competition."

Nolan let out a short laugh but stopped when the pain shot through his body and his mucles contratced. Kir'Ith Vire sat down on a chair next to him. His noble armour and cape gracefully reflecting in the dim light of the dark cell.

"I must apologize to you my friend. A person in my position is rarely told all the details of the ongoings of the empire. had I known you were our guest in this facility I would have made accomodations for you and swiftly returned you to your people."

Nolan tried to smile but something caught his eye. The Prince was not wearing any insigna of the royal Imperial House of Kona but rather symbols from the House of Korath. Something wasn't right about this. If the war was over why was he still being held prisoner? Why were the guards so intrigued by his datadisc if it wasn't for military intelligence purposes.

"Is the war over?" asked Nolan with a look of utter confusion on his face.

That same look now permeated Kir'ith's face. The two looked at each other each tryign to figure out what the other was thinking.

"Sebastien, tell me about your last mission."

Nolan refused "Is the war over?" he asked again.

It was Kir'Ith's turn to wear a look of utter confusion. Was this a serious question? He decided to be straight forward with his friend. besides he had been through almost four months of unspeakable prison sentence "Sebastien...the war has been over for over four years. The Empire has crumbled and fractured in two; those loyal to Drengin Honour and those would preach equality of the masses but in practise propagate poverty and misery for its people."

Nolan was hit like a ton of bricks.

"Help me help you Sebastien. Tell me about your last mission."

Nolan was still in shock, slowly he began to reicte his tale. He told Kir'Ith about the invasion of Marshall IV, he told the Prince how Alan Bradshaw had dispatched him on a secret mission of which no one was aware. Given command of the Quebec he had roamed the stars far and wide in search of mysterious Altaria. Kir'Ith's eyes narrowed at the mention of the name as he studied Nolan closely. He interrupted him with a question.

"How did you overcome the problme of Helios?"

"Problem? first of all the Quebec was not equipped with the Helios AI, something I told the Commodore but he insisted there was no time in uploading the hefty programming onto the shipboard's computer, there was no time it seems. But what exactl;y is this problem? "

Kir'Ith decided to extend the trust he was building with his old friend "During your invasion of Marshall IV the Helios AI became sentient. It turned on you, its masters, and wreaked havoc. On Marshall IV alone, your commanding officer, your Commodore and all hands were lost. Rear-Admiral Latona Vavilov and Comodore Alan Bradshaw...are dead."

Nolanlet out a gasp. Impossible thought Nolan.

"Furthermore" continued Kir'Ith "The awakening, as you humans call it, of the AI onboard many of the Navy ships deprived the Navy of these ships. Helios in effect stole approximately half of the Terran Navy, killing every crew member onboard the stolen ships by turning off life support systems. They were asphixiated to death." finished Kir'Ith.

It was if all the pain had left him. His mind was reeling and he could no longer concentrate on whether or not he was actually in pain. So many questions.

"Sebastien, I need you to continue. Please." said Kir'Ith almost soothingly.

Nolan's eyes were glassy, he tried to concentrate "Quebec was cruising at hyperspeed when we were located by a sensor ping. Since we were operating and searching in a very remote part of space we immediately triangulated the signal and located its source. Though we tried to detect exactly the makeup of the source, as in whether it was another ship, a planet, or maybe an echelon satelite, we could not get an exact read on it. I ordered a course alteration towards the location of the emenation. You have to understand that we had been operating for over two years without contact with any ships of any kind. This sensor ping seemed our best chance at finding what we were looking for. I had to take the chance."

"And?"

"It turned out to be exactly what we were looking for... but it doesn't matter anymore. Soon they'll be here, and we won't stand a chance."

Kir'Ith tensed up immediately. What was the human talking about? "Sebastien. LIsten to me very carefully, if you want my help you need to give me the decryption code to that datadisc. Let me analyse the data with you."

"No!" said Nolan "Only Dr. Juan Lebedev can help find a way to undo what has been done. Alan Bradshaw was very adamant about that." he looked at the Drengin Prince who looked back at him shaking his head ever so slightly.

"No...don't tell me...."

"I'm sorry friend. According to your Navy's records Juan Lebedev was the first human casualty of the Helios awakening. his research ship was driven into a wormhole by the rogue AI."

If Nolan was lost before now he was truly dead inside. All hope was fading fast.

"Sebastien...please, the code to the datadisc."

Sebastien Nolan looked up into the face of his old friend and told him the decryption code. Immediately Kir'Ith Vire stood up and yelled for the guards ot return. As the two lumbering giants entered teh cell Kir'Ith said "Release this prisonner and his crew." the guards looked flabbergasted "and prepare my shuttle I leave at once. Have the prisonners sent to my father's home where they are to await at the family estate. Absolutely no harm is to come to them is that clear?"

They replied in that affirmative in unison.

Moments later the prince entered his shuttle whose engines were already warming up. He took the datadisc and shoved into the ship's computer. he punched in the code and watched as the stream of information and pictures lighted up his screen. A look of urgency permeated his facial features. He picked up his comm and keyed in a very special tone.

"My young friend. Was the...interrogation successful?"

"Sire." began Kir'Ith as he looked into the face of the Emperor, "I managed to get what you asked. It appears we have a problem"

May 11, 2010 10:12:14 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

An update on our boy!

For those who do not remember; In "From the Ashes" Nolan's mission  as part of the first guild ship to trade with a drengin world brought him to Marshall IV where he met and became friends with...the Prince of Vire! none other than Kir'Ith himself.

Hope you guys like it. Next update to touch on the political situation of the Federation and a certain AI gone maaaaaad lol.

cheers

Edit: will not be able to work on it tommorrow. The Habs are once again in game seven, this time agaisnt the pens and Sidney "baby" Crosby

May 12, 2010 6:32:59 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Fab new post Admiral as always-this story is beyond superb.  Am glad that you are going to cover the awakening of Helios event too

KUTGW

May 21, 2010 7:29:53 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

I just purchased the Ultimate Edition of this game and started reading your AAR's before I got it. They are simply fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to type them up. Dan Stueber

May 22, 2010 10:50:03 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Thank you BooBoo!

Next update should go up on monday or tuesday! My apologies for not posting regularly but the playoffs have dominated my free time as of late lol.

Anybody from philly?

cheers

ps: BooBoo wach out for the addiction factor inherent in Galciv2. They somehow managed to make it go from to the screen of your computer straight to your bloodstream lol

May 22, 2010 3:06:23 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Ah, good, a political update coming up! Not sure how many others like them, but I always find them pretty interesting. It should be particularly interesting to see how the Federation handles the conquest and integration of the Carinoids. Also looking forward to news on the Helios AI (which, depending on your perspective, might not be mad but perfectly sane).

BTW, when's that promised Thalan update? I've been interested to see how the Federation interacts with a species a good deal more alien then the Drengin.

May 25, 2010 4:35:41 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Next update is going to be a long and major one. It shall cover a lot of ground, Hopefully that answers your questions1

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001094   Page Render Time: