Impulse Phase 2 Preview

and how it will affect Galciv users

By on August 18, 2008 4:42:32 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums External Link

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1078

Impulse_App_MyDesktopImpulse is Stardock's next-generation digital distribution platform.  On June 17th it got its initail release.  Next week, Phase 2 will be launched which will add a bunch of new features to the mix.

For Galactic Civilizations II users, it opens the door for some continued development possibilities. For instance, we would like to make use of Impulse's achivements and rankings features to better support the Metaverse.

Galactic Civilizations II: v2.0 (for Dark Avatar and Twilight users) is due on October 1, 2008.  We think users will be shocked at how much development time has gone into this free update to improve the espionage and dozens of other elements of the game.

In November, we anticipate announcing the fantasy strategy game (no promises though) with the beta opening up next Spring for that.

To read what's new in Phase 2 of Impulse, go here: http://draginol.impulsedriven.net/article/321533/Impulse_Phase_2_Preview

35 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 22, 2008 11:07:26 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Cari and I will be (attempting to) post journals tomorrow, so I'll try and go into more details then (I need to make sure any announcements don't step on the toes in marketing).

That was easy! As we are used to get these journals, it is just normal for (most of) us to blow off a little steam when they haven't shown up here for awhile!

But, you're absolutely right either way... a structured (and progressive) teasing or outright reveals would always be welcomed - no matter when or how.

Thanks a lot for taking that precious time off 'working' duties, boogie.

August 22, 2008 11:18:29 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
some new governors

Oooooh, hopefully of the planetary flavor.

a new ship style

If it's not just another size catagory...you got my attention for sure. Another size (bigger) would be cool, but mind-blowing would be a 'different' class all together. Or are you talking Arnorian/Dread Lord ship styles?

1) If there is just a simple 'Intuitive Research' (maybe even some AI driven processing transfered to automated human player options) governor, i'll certainly use it.

2) I hope they are trying to insert 'primary components & models with a double dose of hull/trim color switchers' while a new style is being considered since this feature alone would allow HUGE design potential and total control over the entire mesh and how any ships are assembled.

August 22, 2008 12:04:55 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
One question regarding Impulse:

With this quick load option, it seems my complaints about Impulse have been solved. What do you lose when you quickload?

August 22, 2008 9:09:10 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

For anyone keeping track, I appologize for the lack of those journals (PAX is next week, and loose ends took longer than expected).

I'll prioritize that 2.0 journal for Monday

Back to the Impulse chat.

August 22, 2008 9:53:26 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

What do you lose when you quickload?

You lose nothing. The fastload option simply keeps a process running, but dormant(uses about 4MB on my system). This allows Impulse to start almost instantaniously. If you disable the fast start option in preferences it will also disable the process being kept running, but Impulse will load a slower. I noticed the newest version still loads faster than previous versions even with fastload disabled.

August 23, 2008 11:40:09 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

"We're working on...a feature that people have been asking for since Dreadlords 1.0, some new governors, Espionage that let you spy passivly (read: without disabling an planetary improvement), some new galaxy setup options, a new ship style, updated manual (for 2.0, the finished Twilight one will be out shortly), etc etc."

yeah i remember that feature from MOOII. was very cool indeed. wasn't it espionage/sabotage/hide ye i think. that ws cool. just cos i want ure black hole generator doesn't mean i want to rape ure homeworld... well depending on the situation ofcourse. when you say new governors... ure updating rally point system? to left click planet/ right click rally point... or some sort of planetary 'templates' which could be designed as ships do and saved and simply loaded to the appropriate planet class. or even cooler ..some sort of race specific intensive administration... galactic achievement style structure... that took care of it for you. with options ofcourse. so i could spend my time clicking turn repeatedly... that never gets old. or do u mean something in terms of changing governing in the tech tree so that stat federation is not the ultimate system to run an empire and receive a cool bonus like +30 to economics. or do u mean changing actual 'build governing' ques to include things like numerical que limits. number things. i want six destroyers then stop. tho destroyers arent the problem. its forgettting about some two dozen barely used backwater planets in your civ that are all building constructors stil when you got distracted by a war or something. then u end up being needlessly bled of cash. tho thats prolly just me.

August 26, 2008 10:23:52 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

For anyone keeping track, I appologize for the lack of those journals (PAX is next week, and loose ends took longer than expected).
I'll prioritize that 2.0 journal for Monday
Back to the Impulse chat.

~looks at calander and twitches in withdraw~

As for impulse, the download page as well as the program itself is very laggy when I use it.  Is this something known, or at least beign fixed?

August 26, 2008 8:13:53 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

~looks at calander and twitches in withdraw~

I'll keep blamin PAX   I worked a 5 - 5 today and barely got done what I needed to. I can see why devs complain about e3 (or any major expo) thrownig a kink in the development cycle.

To make it up to you, is there any game being shown at PAX that you want me to give an mini-report on?  Besides Mega Man 9 and the Far Cry map editor, I don't have much on my list (well, besides manning the Stardock booth) 

August 26, 2008 10:09:54 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Nah man, I'm just itching for 2.0 and non-MoM (aka DaD) right now.  Spore had my eye until I dealt with EA support (you guys pampered me this last year).  Enjoy PAX for yourself in your free time, don't worry about me/us.

As for PAX, I've heard it's what E3 was before it went (L or T)ame, so I understand plenty enough for the wind-up for that.

OT here, but is something that changed in this latest forum update totally kill Firefox's ability to notice spelling mistakes?

September 8, 2008 4:24:03 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Are those journals out now? Just wondering if they are where I can go and see them...

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time: