Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor v1.95 coming

This week

By on June 17, 2008 2:32:49 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1078

With the Impulse launch this week along with The Political Machine 2008 release, it's been a busy week. But for our next magical trick, we're also releasing the first significant update to Galactic Civilizations II: Twilight of the Arnor.  You can get a preview of some of the changes here.

You will need to use Impulse to get it. Go here to get Impulse.

76 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
June 18, 2008 3:30:04 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Interesting. The TotA problem has been mentioned on the Impulse forums since the Betas.

However, other than this issue (which may be due to an old bug in SDC), Impulse so far works great for me. I especially like the fact that I get much higher download rates than with SDC.
June 18, 2008 4:37:58 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
wait, 1.95 patch is the same as the 1.92 alpha patch?
June 18, 2008 6:10:39 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
wait, 1.95 patch is the same as the 1.92 alpha patch?

The OP says the 1.92 alpha is "a preview of some of the changes".

Hence I'm interpreting this to mean there are some other changes in v1.95. Not the Word of God, of course. It'd seem strange to change the version numbering for something that had no additional changes...
June 18, 2008 6:17:55 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
One thing I'd like to know is how to remove the toolbar Impulse places at the bottom of my screen (and pops up whenever my cursor wanders down there).

The toolbar that pops up, does it have a blue or black/grey background? What are the contents of the toolbar?

Regards
Zy
June 18, 2008 7:52:50 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I just downloaded and installed Impulse and it works like a charm. I upgraded Dark Avatar and it even put a dedicated shortcut on my desktop for Dark Avatar. Now I have dedicated shortcuts for Gal Civ II, DA and ToTA.

I didn't get that strange toolbar at the bottom, everything works like it's supposed to on Vista Home Premium. My OS came already installed with my comp, if that makes any difference.

Anyway, Impulse looks cool, and seems to work correctly.

I'm not going to do anything with ToTA until the official patch release is available on Impulse.
June 18, 2008 8:43:56 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
One thing I'd like to know is how to remove the toolbar Impulse places at the bottom of my screen (and pops up whenever my cursor wanders down there). The program informed me of this after installation, never offered me the option not to install it, and, at first glance, I see no way to remove it. I don't plan on using Impulse very often (only to update GalCiv and Sins) and the icon on my desktop is more than sufficient. I find this most annoying both on principle (no option or readily apparent means of removal) and substance (PITA to have the tool bar pop up accidently on a semi-regular basis).

Here's what you can do to get rid of it.

Start Button, Run, type in msconfig

Uncheck the box for it (As well as the other things you don't want)

Then, I use a program called Msconfig cleanup (there are others), to remove the item from your startup list in msconfig entirely.

Yeah, this should be an option instead of mandatory in the install, but I'm more concerned about Impulse being stable first involving the registry. It's possible it might have gone over the hump, it updated smoothly this morning, but it's given me a lot of trouble from updates in the past.
June 18, 2008 9:04:39 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Will 1.95 *only* be available on Impulse? No SDC? If this is the case, then puh-leez give us a .zip.

I have the impression that the current plan is Impulse-only. I'm hoping that a) that plan changes, or we get a .zip as Mistralok suggests. I bought TA by spending my tokens through SDC. I should not be required to install yet another installer just to keep up with patches.
June 18, 2008 10:27:38 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Here's what you can do to get rid of it.Start Button, Run, type in msconfigUncheck the box for it (As well as the other things you don't want)Then, I use a program called Msconfig cleanup (there are others), to remove the item from your startup list in msconfig entirely.

Or just right click on the dock, uncheck run at startup, and close it.
June 18, 2008 11:55:32 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I had this issue, I was able to fix by hacking the registry (I have XP, so I dont know how this will work with other OS's). The issue is with SDC and what it writes to the registry, not Impulse actually.If you are comfortable with regediting then you can do the following:goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Stardock\Drengin.net\GalCiv2\Twilight\add a New String Value called Path (do this by right clicking on Twilight folder in regedit), right click on the Path string you just created, and type in the path to your Twilight installation location (where ever your TALaunch.exe file is located). edit the Exe string (by double clicking on it) and remove the "Twilight\" part from the "Twilight\TALaunch.exe"To see how this should look, take a peek at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Stardock\Drengin.net\GalCiv2\DarkAvatarI hope I explained this well enough. If I did a poor job, you may be best to uninstall TA from SDC and reinstall in Impulse.Cheers,james

Thanks for the tip, worked perfectly!!
June 18, 2008 12:53:08 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
you will need to use impulse to get it... and impulse needs Win2K at least...

so this is the end... for me,
I have no bucks and no intention to buy a newer pc/OS.
Now I can uninstall SDC and all stardock software from my online pc, because I guess in near future SDC will be no longer supported.
Updating of GalCiv, GalCiv2 DL, DA and TA is from now on out of my range. I can forget the great GalCiv2 2.0 Update, as well as the TA 1.95 one.
Okay, I know I have no claim to these updates, they are additional gifts of stardock, and we all payed only for the original game/expansions. Nethertheless this is a bit disappointing for me.
After five years playing and modding GalCiv games, it's too bad. Okay I've learned another lesson of life.
Farewell stardock.
June 18, 2008 1:11:35 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I should correct myself as it seems I pointed blame at the SDC incorrectly. I tested this out further, and seems to be related to the difference between what SDC and Impulse write to the registry, or I think more accurately, where Impulse is expecting TA to be.

I installed via SDC, DA and TA's registry do not contain a PATH string at all. The EXE strings respectively contain DarkAvatar\DALauncher.exe and Twilight\TALauncher.exe.

Now, in Impulse, DA reports an update to .103 instead of .100 in SDC. TA shows only as Available, even though it is installed in SDC. If I update DA in Impulse, then the PATH string is created in the registry for DA, and the EXE string is changed to just DALauncher.exe.

Installing TA via Impulse creates the PATH string, and modifies the EXE string to TALauncher.exe

This simply leads me to the conclusion that Impulse is expecting something different in the registry for TA than what it sees for DA.

Cheers,

James
June 18, 2008 2:17:06 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Rumors are, SD is just giving a morsel to the wild animals drooling for the meal, pretending the Update already is available but actually are yet working on it.

Just kidding - take all the time you need for the update, your support is great. I can`t wait for 2.0 with the enhanced spionage system - what approximately is the expected release date?

Btw.: Just discovered the Stardock Central does not handle DA v 1.80g.103 right. It handles this version like it were older than 1.80g.100 and tries to update.

What has been changed in *.103 - any thread here with the changes?
June 18, 2008 4:38:08 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I just found out the hard way IMPULSE is not XP64 compatable so after I uninstalled TOA it would not let me install it !!!!!! So now im reinstalling via sdc and it appears i will not be able to get the update at all To say the least I,m not happy
June 18, 2008 5:32:40 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Lemme get this straight... i need to install Impulse to get TotA update to 1.95, right?

Seems strange that the clear cut off of the 'usual_regular_stable' SDC process would be abandonned so fast. Not that i MUST rely on that one only, since it served me quite well before.

But, if you say so; then, i'll put yet another installer interface on my PC just to stay afloat with the latest upgrades for the games i bought.
It's surprising though that SD wouldn't have kept the SDC for a good while like some six months (after Impulse official launch) or slightly less... to accomodate some people & faithful customers.

Oh, well. That's life!
June 18, 2008 8:41:46 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Okay, i've got Impulse 'installed'...
(PS; but, not after having to unload Kerio_Firewall from memory since ngen was running a loop of multiple notification Icons. On a smoothy XPro-SP3, btw. Must be a NET-Framework issue with some Vista underlayers not recognized on my old system, anyway!)

Looks nice.
Only prob' is - there is no such 1.95 update to Twilight on it! Weird.
May be it's the afore_mentioned issue with the registry settings untagged properly. Or, cuz i did install 1.92alpha already this saturday.

And, the DA section says an update IS available; another strange result though -- i DO have 1.80g.100 installed and working on my setup. Duh.

Both lines have the same version tag number also *1.80g.100*, it seems. Since, the underneath Icon interferes with the values shown i had to use a magnifier at 8x to distinguish both numbers.

So, lemme know when the detect flaw has been adressed and if we ever need get to D/L the 1.95 instance.
June 18, 2008 9:47:52 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I think that's because the update isn't out yet.

June 19, 2008 8:14:32 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I would love to have 1.95 (and future versions) available as .zip files, if not on SDC. Being a primate who hasn't upgraded past 2000 Professional yet .. and I'm sure many haven't, I'm gonna be boned if that's not possible.
June 19, 2008 8:26:05 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
That would defeat the point of them not having disk-based copy protection.
SDC isn't bad at all, and while Impulse is rough right now- it will be good soon.

I'd rather deal with Impulse then CD-checks, cracks, adn SECUROM.
June 19, 2008 12:08:49 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Just to be perfectly clear on the issue: Will 1.95 *only* be available on Impulse?

I second (or third?) the question.

Information about Impulse is still far too sketchy to make an informed decision about it. Terms of Service are nowhere to be found on the site. Plus, a requirement of Windows XP or Vista means that I'd need a new operating system just to patch a game.

SDC is perfectly able to handle ToA updates. I see no good reason to deprive SDC users from a patch for a product they bought and supported for years.
June 19, 2008 2:53:54 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Twilight 1.95 should be up on both later today if all goes well.

June 19, 2008 5:00:01 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I just reinstalled Impulse yesterday due to it just sitting there with the "Downloading Impulse Update - Connecting" message up the entire time it was running. It still only showed TA as available and not installed so I tried the regedit solution. That didn't seem to work since TA still says Available and now it is back to sitting there with the downloading update message again. Seems I may not be getting the new update either. I'm starting to tire of having to reinstall this thing(this wasn't the first time) and then hand editing the registry to get things to work in it(a second time for that as well).

I want to be excited about Impulse, but right now I'll just have to wait till these issues are resolved before jumping in the deep end.
June 19, 2008 5:16:43 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Twilight 1.95 should be up on both later today if all goes well.

Got it! Wheee! Now I can resume my game, in which I was just about to finish building the apparently crash-inducing Gravity Accelerators...
June 19, 2008 5:53:25 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I just updated from SDC. Thanks again, Stardock. I know running two distribution systems must roughly double somebody's (Cari's?) effort for a routine task. Your kindness to change-resisters is much appreciated.
June 19, 2008 5:59:34 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I had to do the Regedit thing to get impulse to even see Twilight, but when I tried to upgrade to 1.95 it could not uninstall. SDC upgraded it fine, but Impulse still have an ! on it and says it is not installed correctly. Though it won't uninstall it either.
June 19, 2008 6:01:38 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I don't see anything on SDC, maybe I'm doing something wrong ?!? I check for application updates and nothing.
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000672   Page Render Time: