Iconians +100 espionage

By on May 9, 2008 9:48:42 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Lord Cinnamon

Join Date 10/2007
Just out of curiosity, why exactly do the iconians have +100 espionage? Previously I assumed the were some kind of evil mindflayers, but recently I discovered they actually are a good civilization with no kind of minflayering mentioned at all. So.. err.. what's up with that?

While we're at it, why is there no espionage bonus for the Drath? With their shapeshifting and all. Not that I want them to be good at espionage (I play with the Drath a lot and couldn't care less about it), but I'm just curious.

By the way, I don't know much about GalCiv lore at all, so maybe it all makes sense somehow.
7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 9, 2008 10:37:53 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
The espionage boost for the Iconians is just Stardock's business model for trying to make the Iconians as crappy as possible. One of the races has to suck, why not the Iconians? Its all laid out in the company's financial documents for the investor relations packet. I think one of the designers had an Iconian ex-girlfriend and he isjust pissed off at the whole race now.

As for the Drath, they took away the espionage because they are 12 feet tall. I know just last week I saw a 12 foot tall Yorkshire Terrier walking down the street, and I said to myself, "Thats no dog, its those damn Drath espionage agents trying to spy on me again." I'm don't fall for their crap anymore...
May 11, 2008 6:55:54 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
hahahahaha

What does the espionage bonus does anyway, increase the ammount of spies you get by spending on the espionage sliders or increase their effectivenes (5 iconian spies will increase your intel level as fast as 10, say, altarian spies)?
May 11, 2008 7:29:13 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Because the iconians get some kick @ss starting techs for research
May 11, 2008 7:32:36 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
No, it does not. That's how you'd EXPECT it to work, but what it actually does is increase the maximum amount of your monthly income you're allowed to reallocate to buying spies. So instead of being able to spend 25% of your income on agents, you can put 50% in!

Nice if you have the money to spare, I suppose, but it's overall a blatantly useless ability.

Me? I'd make it so that it decreases the amount of cash required per agent, which would actually be useful. That said, espionage as it stands is a pretty broken mechanic, and is supposed to get a revisiting when the 2.0 patch rolls around.
May 14, 2008 5:53:43 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
As for the Drath, they took away the espionage because they are 12 feet tall. I know just last week I saw a 12 foot tall Yorkshire Terrier walking down the street, and I said to myself, "Thats no dog, its those damn Drath espionage agents trying to spy on me again." I'm don't fall for their crap anymore...

I've never seen one - D**N they're good. They could be anywhere!

Check everyplace - anywhere you don't see a 12 foot tall yorkie, that's a potential Drath agent!

THEY'VE FOUN(&^(*)#$*&) -- NO CARRIER
May 14, 2008 1:52:20 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
The espionage boost for the Iconians is just Stardock's business model for trying to make the Iconians as crappy as possible. One of the races has to suck, why not the Iconians? Its all laid out in the company's financial documents for the investor relations packet. I think one of the designers had an Iconian ex-girlfriend and he isjust pissed off at the whole race now.As for the Drath, they took away the espionage because they are 12 feet tall. I know just last week I saw a 12 foot tall Yorkshire Terrier walking down the street, and I said to myself, "Thats no dog, its those damn Drath espionage agents trying to spy on me again." I'm don't fall for their crap anymore...

That actually had me laughing out loud, respect!
May 14, 2008 1:54:46 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Thank you, I had fun typing it as well. The imagery alone makes me chuckle
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time: