RELEASE: Rav's Babylon 5 Mod (updated 5th December)

for Dark Avatar and Dread Lords

By on April 8, 2007 9:47:38 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

rav8

Join Date 11/2004
Disclaimer: Stardock does not endorse or support this mod. This thread has merely been stickied so users can more easily direct comments or questions to the authors of this modification.

This topic post will always contain current information.

GC2: Babylon 5
Beta v0.6.5

for Dark Avatar and Dread Lords

Eight major races and eight minor races, over 100 unique hull models.
Kindly hosted at The Galactic Core Mods Site.

Direct Download: 43MB exe
150 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
December 5, 2007 1:13:19 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
UPDATE: Beta 0.6.5 is up. Almost through all the models I can get all systematic with before searching for different copies of ones that don't play nice (can't be imported for editing). The really good thing is that once I've imported each model it will be relatively easy to rescale the lot.

Now hosted in a friendly place, The Galactic Core Mods Site.

Beta 0.6.5
* Running total of updated dummies now 95
- Scuttle, Sheye, Mind, ShadowScout, StrikeFighter, ShadowFighter, Spitfire, Transport, Behemoth, Ambassadore, Lightning, Light can't be imported for editing
December 5, 2007 1:27:23 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
@grandgnu: probably not, unless I suddenly get better at managing my time - or get dumped or fired!
December 5, 2007 1:43:20 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
@grandgnu: probably not, unless I suddenly get better at managing my time - or get dumped or fired!

Thanks for the update Rav. Ah well, wishful thinking. That game is going to be hella fun once they start modding it for Star Trek, Star Wars, Babylon 5, Battlestar, etc.
December 7, 2007 5:57:00 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
The tech tree implementation for ToTA looks simple enough, you define what tech tree a race follows in raceconfig.xml. For example, the Drengin have < TechTree >Drengin_TechTree< /TechTree >, and the Drengin_TechTree.xml is located within a subfolder, surprise surprise called "TechTrees".

And the tags you need to make a tech immune to stealing or trade, are:< CanBeTraded >0, < CanBeStolen >0< /CanBeStolen > with values either 0 or 1.

Ps, no spaces between the <'s and the actual text, i just added them so the forum doesn't hide the words.
December 8, 2007 5:41:27 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I became interested in this mod and installed it. But I have Twilight of the Arnor (TotA) so the B5 mod did not function properly. For this reason I tried to uninstall it by deleting the two B5 folders. However, this was not completely successfully since this mod is still interfering with the vanilla TotA game. How do I completely delete all B5 related files?
December 8, 2007 11:32:56 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I hope you extracted the mod in the mods folder, not into the actual data folder of Twilight of the Arnor..

and to deactivate the mod all you would have needed is to select "default" from the mods menu.
December 8, 2007 12:49:37 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I extracted the mod using the default path given by the .exe set-up, i.e.: C:\Program Files\Stardock\TotalGaming\GalCiv2\ (I could not find any installation instructions)
I also have re-installed TotA two times. But when I try to play TotA, I still have the Minbar race and the Terran Alliance is not possible to chose as an opponent. The Terran Alliance do not seem to have any pictures or videso connected to them either.

I just noticed when playing in TotA as the Terran Alliance, the Earth Alliance also participate in the game. (not possible to select as an oppenent)
Could anybody please tell me how to delete all the B5 files that apparently interferes with the vanilla TotA files?
December 8, 2007 5:36:15 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
This might work: Try going to the start menu, my documents, my games. Now look in the GalCiv folders for customracexml files and delete them.  
December 8, 2007 6:52:37 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Thank you very much! This seems to work. I will have test it thoroughly tomorrow though. But no more Minbari or Earth Alliance appears in the vanilla TotA.    
December 16, 2007 5:01:24 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Thank you very much for the mod! I have a quick question. The mod works with a setup program. Where do all the files get installed? Which directories? Can you remove the mod manually or is there some uninstall option as well?
I would appreciate your answer.
December 28, 2007 3:37:35 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I replied to your email GJDriessen, but the short answer is that everything is contained within the individual mod folders that live inside the root GalCiv2 mod folder. Try searching for a folder called "Babylon5-065-DA" or "Babylon5-065-DL".

Currently I am in warranty hell because my beautiful 22inch lcd monitor is dead. Posting this by squinting at my crappy tv! Should be able to grab a small old crt monitor tomorrow but it could be ages till the 22inch is repaired. Once that happens I'll grab TotA, but hopefully I can sort some kind of semi-decent monitor out in the meantime to get the model scaling done (and then shift focus away from models, probably to techs).
December 29, 2007 7:41:10 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Thank you for the e-mail and the the reply. Good Luck with your monitor.
January 20, 2008 12:08:59 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Hi Rav8 - I am having a problem with the mod - maybe you can help me with. I think it may have to do with the way I installed the mod or mod directories but am not sure. The problem is that the Earth Alliance is not playabe - only the default Terran Alliance which does not have the colonize tech. Any idea what I did wrong or how to fix it?
January 22, 2008 3:29:26 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Dear rav8

Thanks, for a great mod. The Babylon 5 universe, is a perfect moderation of the GalCiv2 game.

I hope you'll continue work on this fantastic mod, as it has great potential, if there is anything I can do, to help you, please let me know! I have rewritten much of the dialogue in GalCiv2 to work in the Babylon 5 universe.

I only have a few wishes for the next update. First I would really like to see the Drazi Freehold, the Brakiri Krona and the Pak'Ma'Ra as major races and the Anla'shok (Rangers) should be demoted to a minor race. The Minbari should be represented by Delenn, instead of Neroon (the Rangers could then be represented by Marcus). This would also give a better Bab5 feeling if it was only the Ambassadors from the series, which represented the different races/nations at the United Planets.

The following has nothing to do with your modding, but I would appreciate it greatly, if you know how to change the following little tweak:
I played a game wich had an event, which meant a minor race/organization from GalCiv2 lead an uprising on several planets (24) across the Galaxy. This organization was evil and was called "The Jagged Knife." However, I can't find this race in the stats, but I would love to have it replaced with another name. It appears in the DA game as "The The Jagged Knife"... First, its name should only be "Jagged Knife" the game ads a "The" automatically. Furthermore, it would be perfect if it was possible to replace this event with one where it was the Drakh Horde the Firstones or maybee the Shadows that were activated instead of this unknown GalCiv2 race/opponent.

Good luck with your monitor and once again thank you for your great work.

Best regards
Kieldsen
January 23, 2008 12:48:55 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Have some time off work and am planning on lanning at the end of the week so I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a new monitor. Expect a release before the end of February, hopefully the 17th.

Thanks for the feedback Niels Kieldsen!
Drazi Freehold, the Brakiri Krona and the Pak'Ma'Ra as major races

It's just that they are perfect as minors. If other more random races are minors then they definitely wont have custom hulls (the Pak'Ma'Ra have none, so that would rule them out of majordom?). I've always thought the real decision was between: the League as a major; or all the league nations as minors.

Anla'shok (Rangers) should be demoted... Minbari should be represented by Delenn

The angle I was going for was that the two Minbari major races represented the two castes with military firepower - the Warrior and Religious castes expanding in to new territories.
January 23, 2008 11:22:50 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Hi again

Thanks for the quick answer.

I can follow you on the Pak'Ma'Ra not being a major since they don't have any custom hulls. But I still believe it would be better if you could replace the Anla'shok (Rangers) with either the Drazi Freehold or the Brakiri Krona. They are both races, whereas the Anla'Shok only is an organisation, like the PSI Corps.

The Anla'shok would be perfect as minors, just as all the other organizations in this category: Telepath Seperatists, PSI Corps and the Mars Resistance. You could view it this way, the Anla'shok is originating from the Minbari Federation, just as the PSI corps, Telepaths and the Martian rebels are originating from the Earth Alliance.

I still think you should make the original Ambassadors the figureheads of the various races. Just as Kosh is representing the Vorlon, G'Kar the Narn, Lando Mollari the Centauri, John Sheridan the Earth Alliance and the Minbari Federation should therfore be represented by Delenn.

The Minor Anla'Shok could then be led by either Marcus or one of the Minbari Rangers.

Once again thank you for a wonderfull mod, keep up the good work.

Best regards
Kieldsen
January 24, 2008 10:02:02 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
But I still believe it would be better if you could replace the Anla'shok (Rangers) with either the Drazi Freehold or the Brakiri Krona. They are both races, whereas the Anla'Shok only is an organisation, like the PSI Corps.

The Anla'shok would be perfect as minors...

Maybe they are both races but they don't have that much impact. The Anla'Shok however are THE driving force of the Interstellar Alliance. Therefore they ought to be a major race. Also the Rangers have more suitable custom hulls than the Brakiri and the Drazi combined. That makes for a better choice as a playable race.

I still think you should make the original Ambassadors the figureheads of the various races. Just as Kosh is representing the Vorlon, G'Kar the Narn, Lando Mollari the Centauri, John Sheridan the Earth Alliance and the Minbari Federation should therfore be represented by Delenn.

I beg to differ. After Sheridan passing beyond the rim, Delenn was the leader of the Anla'Shok. Therefore she is the fitting representative.

The ... Anla'Shok could then be led by either Marcus or one of the Minbari Rangers.
Marcus is dead. Also -and even more important- he was never leading the Rangers, and neither were Lennier or Cpt. Montoya. If not Delenn I'd rather have Sinclair as their leader.

But that's all just MY opinion. In the final analysis it's Rav's decision anyway.

January 24, 2008 3:31:00 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Hi Star Adder

Many of the leaders in this mod, were not leaders in the TV-series. They were Ambassadors. Kosh was not the leader of the Vorlon Empire, but he was its representative at Babylon 5 (a sort of United Planets forum), so was Londo Mollari, Delenn, G'Kar and John Sheridan.

John Sheridan was never the leader of the Earth Alliance, he was the President of the Universal Alliance. But, he was the Representative/Ambasador of the Earth Alliance on Babylon 5 untill the Human civil war. Morden was also not the leader of the Shadows only a messenger... But, it is these faces which we identify with the various races.

That is why, I would like to have the Ambassadors from the TV series to represent each race, because they are the ones we know from the show.

Furthermore, you don't start the game with a huge Universal Alliance fighting the Drakh Hordes, following the Shadow War. You start out with the various races on their home planets: Minbari, Humans, Vorlon, Narn, Centauri, Shadows, and Drakhs. You then slowly have to expand your territory, build your own alliances and fight the wars...

The best thing would be to replace the Anla'Shok with the Universal Alliance, or even better with the Non-Alligned League (Drazi). The Rangers (Anla'Shok) are simply a military/intelligence organization within the Universal Alliance, just like the PSI Corps and Earth Force are Human organizations.

The reason why I'm favoring the Non-Alligned League (Drazi Freehold) is that the Universal Alliance is made up by Minbari, Narn, Centauri, Human, Drazi and many other races. That would limit the playable sides to only 4 factions/races: Universal Alliance, Vorlon Empire, Shadows and Drakh Hordes.

The great thing about this game/mod is that you start from scratch and has to build up the race of your choise to become the leader of the United Planets (Universal Alliance) or, if you choose the evil approach, to leave the United Planets and destroy all your opponents with military might.

It is, as you say all raw8's decision, and I'm giving my point of you, just as you're giving yours.

Looking forward to the end of February   

Best regards
Kieldsen
January 24, 2008 3:47:07 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Dear raw8

Is it possible to edit the major events in the game such as the rise of the Dread Lords or the Jagged Knife?

I have also stumpled across some minor errors with some of the custom-hulls:

Many of the Shadow hulls, have the red attachment points on them, and the components you install on them are visible. You can even attach modules, such as insignias, on some of the Shadow hulls!

You can also see the components you install on the Minbari Tinashi-hull and the Earth Alliance Thunderbolt-hull.

It is possible to fix these problems in the game if you manually minimize the components, before you install them. But, the AI does not do this, which make the upgraded hulls of the opponents look quite funny, and truly alien...  

Best regards
Kieldsen
February 1, 2008 11:31:07 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Dear raw8

I have found another little quirk, when playing with the minor races. Their home systems are named after the "Race Name"; i.e. The home system of the PSI Corps is called "PSI Corps" and the home system of the Telepath Seperatists is "Telepath Seperatists" this doesn't look right.

But if you call the races with their ShortEmpireName, then the names of the home systems looks better, even though the names aren't correct. The Vree home system is simply called "Vree" instead of "Ventuki Conglomerate".

The "Firstones" I have renamed "Prime" and given them the ShortEmpireName "Firstones". I also had to rename the "Drazi Freehold" the "Drazi", The "Brakiri Krona" has been renamed the "Brakiri", and the "Ventuki Conglomerate" has been renamed the "Vree".

Furthermore, I have replaced all the organizations with the races of the League of Non-alligned Worlds and given them the custom hulls of the League.

I have replaced the "Telepath Seperatists" with the "Gaim", The "PSI Corps" with the "Llort" and finally the "Raiders" with the "Abbai".

I hope this can help you a little bit.

Best regards
Kieldsen

February 1, 2008 11:52:15 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Yeah, of course I was talking representatives rather than leaders. Still Delenn was also the rep for the Rangers later on while Marcus was never representing the Rangers.
I definitely would opt for Sinclair as their rep. However, if not Sinclair I could possibly live with Sech Turval.

Well, a major race called The League of Non Aligned Worlds would probably be working if the ships of the Drazi, Brakiri, Vree, Gaim and the other races would be combined. Never neglect the game's technical aspect over the semantics.
But who would represent that faction?

I'm looking forward to the new release as well, no matter which races are major and which minor.
February 1, 2008 1:39:18 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Yeah, its probably better if the Leage races simply are the minor ones, since they are lacking an obvious leader.

However, I still believe raw8 should turn the Anla'Shok into something else. Preferebly the Universal Alliance, since raw8 allready has supplied them with fantastic custom hulls.

Raw8 could also make the Firstones a major race again (they have custom hulls), and then make the Hyach a new minor race (they are also part of the League).

I tried to solve the problem with system names of the minors, by creating their homesystems in the CustomPlanets file, but it didn't work. The only solution seems to be, to use the ShortEmpireName.

Best regards
Kieldsen
February 26, 2008 1:44:58 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Hello I just downloaded the mod and began a game with terran Alliance it is great !!
Thank you very much Rav8, you added into the game exactly what what was mising: charisma.
As information I have noticed two small problems (playing Dread Lords version)
1) tiny aurora and thunderbolt models have 4hp instead of 6 for other tiny ships.
2) terran freighter hull is not available in the ship editor when the default ship shows up.

I see there's a heated debate over who should be minor / major.

There's two free slots compared to original galciv: the choices I would do are Drazi (they had a few important action in the show: supporting pirate then the attack on centauri prime) and the brackiri (their big ships played an important role in the alliance fleet)

I would leave the Ranger the way they are after all their fleet and decisions were of utmost importance in the show...

For Delenn and Sheridan leading minbari / terrans I'm not sure Delenn turned half human and Sheridan declared independance... they're not in line with their governments.

All in all great work rav8 many thanks

Vincent
March 9, 2008 4:59:51 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Im not completely sure here...but I have never loaded a mod on galcivII before. I updated to the latest patch for Dreadlords and I installed the Mod. Now I dont know how to start a B5 Game...I cant acess your readme either as the link is broken in the Total Conversion thread. What do I do after the installation is done?
March 14, 2008 11:44:15 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Hello,
The mod has to be copied in your mod subfolder in your galciv directory
In Galciv go in options > Game > mod directory
make sure "use mod" is ticked
in the "current mod directory part click the change button and validate the Babylon5 mod (I had to select default and change again to have the Babylon5 mod in the list... don't know why)

Good shadow hunting
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000703   Page Render Time: