Tell us what you'd like in Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar 1.6!

We're at your command

By on March 8, 2007 11:59:51 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums External Link

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1078

We're extremely pleased to hear how much people seem to like the expansion pack (Dark Avatar) to Galactic Civilizations II. We're also glad that reviews have been so positive (average review score is about 4.75 stars out of 5).  But we're not finished yet! Tell us how we can make the game better for you.

For those of you who are new to buying Stardock software, the product you purchase is just the beginning of what you get. Stardock updates it software based on customer feedback.

In the case of Galactic Civilizations II: Dark Avatar we are lookoing for suggestions and feature requests that players would like to see in a free update.

Mind you, these can't be massive new features (i.e. "Multiplayer" or "Fleet combat") but rather little things that you think would make the game more enjoyable for you and others. Tweaks, new options, new features, improvements, etc.

Let us know what you'd like us to do. We are at your disposal!

437 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 9, 2007 1:00:20 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Maybe another option of astroid belts, defense platforms? Just have an influence circle that the astroid gives support fire.

The option to be able to take off some ship jewels from the list, some really lag my game up if placed on a ship, so I stay away from enemies that have that jewelry on them, again lagging the game. ( If i remember right it is something on the Korx ships).

Reappearing anomilies throughout the game.

Revamp the Dread Lord Megaevent, give them a planet and high soldiering like they have now, but also apply the old pirate event to it, but with dreadlord ships.

March 9, 2007 1:08:16 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Protection for the mining bases would be nice. Maybe a branch on the tech tree called "Mining Defense" or something like that? It would be nice if they weren't just sitting ducks.
March 9, 2007 1:35:47 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I'd like to see planet invisons not be a massive genocide, that way we have a more realistic play in having to deal two or three different spieces living on the same planet.

It would also be nice if we could conquer enemy starbases and make them or own

lastly could we please get an offical map editor for the game.
March 9, 2007 1:48:02 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Thanks so much for asking. Sure, I have a few suggestions. Heck, if you even did one of these it would make my day.

1) Implement the mysterious "repair" module that exists for starbases. Whether it repairs ships, starbases, or both, I'd love to see how that could effect the use of starbases in overall strategy.

2) Make the AI value higher and/or work harder at getting treaties sent to them. Those are free bonuses for your empire, and I have never once seen an AI get more than two (one of each) sent to them. Personally, I try to get 5 or 6 sent my way by mid game... why turn down free bonuses? The AI should also be trying to get that many.

3) Remove the +300% food tiles (a sure way to tank your approval if you ever use them) or slightly change the morale curve on populations over 19 billion. As it is, under the current morale rules it is usually a detriment to try and use them for their intended purpose, so I ignore them. They are a trap for the inexperienced, however.

4) Make the galactic resort apply an approval bonus to your whole empire. Same with the secret police center. Change either the description or effect of the mind control center, so that it either SAYS that it doubles your income in the description, or change the effect so that you actually do autoflip revolting planets.

5) Change the good alignment bonus so that the increased diplomacy applies empire wide, not just to other good nations. Everyone wants to buddy up to them! (And we need a reason to go good in competitive games.)

6) Allow evil aligned AIs to break alliances with anyone (including player) whenever they feel like it. Evil alignment races will continue to evaluate allies as conquest potentials, uneffected by alliances. This is the way evil players play, after all...

7) Change and/or fix the way non-matching defense is reduced by weapons fire, so that off type weapons do more damage to defensive ships. But other than that, please leave the new values for the defense modules the same per the 1.5x update.

8) Perhaps slightly increase the value of trade routes. The bc/turn really seems to have dropped off. Trade routes are still useful as a diplomatic tool, but it would be nice if they effected the overall economy more (especially on larger maps).

9) Add logistics bonuses and miniturization bonuses as catagories you can spend racial points on.

10) Increase the number of points custom races get (to 20/25). Let them spend racial points to get more points to spend on starting tech (so over the initial 200). Currently, you can make games easier by setting to play against all custom races, because they just don't cut it. Custom races already can't double up on bonuses (so can't get a +83% military production bonus like the Thalans can for instance), and they have less points overall than the stock races in total bonuses.

11) Change starbases to huge hulls to increase their hp. Allow constructers to repair a starbases hp rather than upgrade it if they are damaged.

12) ... and a partridge in a pear treeeeeeeeee. Hey, you asked

13) Lower the cost curve on spies, so it is cheaper to build the first 50. If you are spending a lot more on espionage, you should have a lot more spies, not two or three more.

14) Allow fleets to orbit planets if you have the orbital fleet manager. That is, let a fleet take up one of the 10 spaces, increasing the number of ships you can have defend a planet, and allowing you to set the defensive "teams" that are defending the skies.

And again, thanks for asking. You all do an incredible job!
March 9, 2007 1:50:05 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I'd really, really like to see queueing in this game. With Civilization, I can click on an advanced tech and the game will automatically research all the techs I need in between. With GalCiv I could, for instance, click on the last of the Laser techs and not have have to go back to the tech screen until those were all done. I'd just get a notification that one step was completed and the game would continue researching my line, and I wouldn't have to go in just to click the Done button.

Also, with unit builds, I'd like to be able to select multiple ships that keep getting rebuilt. I like having mixed fleets, but it's such a hassle trying to organize them all. It would be great if I could have, say, a planet build 3 small ships of different types then 1 medium, and have them all rally to a fleet point. Then it would just keep rebuilding this ship order and all I'd have to do is send the ships to their destination.

There's so much micromanagement in this game, being able to queue would be a great help in reducing that.
March 9, 2007 1:51:07 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
The off type defense bug should be a pretty high priority... it totally messes up the weapon type dynamic.

Other than that, I'd personally love to see ever more out of the AIs. More ruthless and effective use of transports would be nice (they're kinda slow about taking territory), and so would a few improvements on tactical combat, like letting them attack on the first turn of war and having them move fleets into position prior to a premptive strike or surprise attack (and make such attacks actually worthwhile).

Also... the oddities of the diplomacy could always use smoothing out. It is quite strange to have AIs boast about how your defeat is inevitable while their territory and military is shrinking the entire time with no comparable loss for me.

Finally, a rebalance on starbase defenses (or hp modules for starbases) would be an excellent way to make them more relevant... the damn things get picked off too easily.
March 9, 2007 1:56:17 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Oh yes, one more thing. Why isn't there any bonus tiles for cash? There's one for pretty much everything else, but not that. It would make my decision for economic planets much simpler.
March 9, 2007 2:03:40 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I'd like to suggest some improvements to the basic starbase mechanic.

Economic starbases seem pretty useful and powerful in general, as the areas they are needed at generally don't move around

Influence starbases (if my last couple games are any indication) are also very useful and powerful for what they do (pop one by an enemy planet, keep em off your back for a few turns, boom, new fully populated world).

Military starbases need some loving IMO though, especially on larger maps where there's just so much territory to go around. They are the most likely to be left behind (if your defensive line moves forward, or you win on an offensive front), they are rather expensive to upgrade, and generally seem to be either significantly hit or miss with people. (either folks use em and swear by em (mostly on smaller maps from the responses I've seen) or they don't touch them at all (especially on larger maps where the area of effect is proportionally much smaller)).

I don't know if a way to move them (albeit slowly) would be feasible (perhaps allowing them to dismantle (over a 3-4 week period) into a 'module convoy' with a low speed that could reassemble the base into it's original form over another 3-4 week space would be workable. Another suggestion would be to have the starbase range of effect scale with map size (similar to how ship ranges scale) Some improvement to their utility and general overall usefulness would make for more strategic options. Additionally, as mentioned above, some method of repairing damaged starbases, and also possibly fleeting them with defending ships to help keep them alive in larger fleet battles would be very welcome.

As always though, love the game, can't wait for more updates
March 9, 2007 2:26:06 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I would like to see minor races be unable to produce ships with construction modules (like they never produce colony ships). They just waste resources churning out masses of starbases and would be better off building ships instead. Plus they wouldn't then steal all the resources like they do now. Sure they couldn't extend their range a lot but that kind of fits the theme of minor races being minor localised powers.

I also agree with Wyndstars idea about evil races being able to break alliances. That would be cool and would fit with their theme (especially the Yor and Korath) although maybe only on higher difficulties they could do so.
March 9, 2007 2:36:54 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
1) More management tools for ships
2) increased Diplomacy features
3) Player with greatest influence points chooses topic at UP meetings
4) Repair module for constructors.. Not just to Starbases but Ship repair also (travelling medic??)
5)Economy Bonus tiles
6) Eliminate X3 food tiles.. OR adjust morale to population so that its not such a hit on higher pop planets

Maybe an add-on that tells you what the best settings are to get the most out of the game based off your PC's hardware..
7) Cap on cost to build Starbases. I've paid 7000+ to build em at times..
8) Adjust AI to better use spies.. I've played several games and have seen maybe 3-4 spies...
March 9, 2007 2:37:31 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I would like to see the ground combat expanded a bit with different troop types.
Possibly with various levels of experience available.
Just skimming off a bit of your population and then anything that survives becomes just what you need in the population of your new planet is a bit to far-fetched in my opinion.
March 9, 2007 2:38:16 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Oh and maybe a universal installation program for mod's..

And a map maker and scenario maker thats easy to use
March 9, 2007 2:38:36 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
1. Heavy weapons for battleship-sized vessels. Only one of them can be mounted on a hull, and they inflict immense damage. Kind of like the Star Blazer's Wave-Motion cannon, or the main weapons used on various ships in Robotech (i.e. the SDF-1's super-weapon). Maybe to limit abuse with this, you can only mount the heavy weapon on a flagship (obviously not the starting one) - meaning only one ship. Or perhaps the cost to install one is exhorbitant.

2. A new alien race. Something truly alien (though not so alien to make them unplayable), that is not humanoid.
March 9, 2007 2:45:49 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
While I have been very pleased with GC II I´d like to see more options about how tech trading is handeled.

Tech trading, as it stands now, is very tedious micromanagement and can be exploited while the "No tech-trading" almost entire kills of diplomacy.

Some sort of inbetween option that could be chosen from start called
"Limited tech-trading" perhaps?
Allowing just a few or a pre-selected number of techs to be traded / year.
Or then the number of techs that can be traded / year could vary depending on
skills / technology.

There could even be a compleatly own tech-path allowing tech-trading
(a sub-category under the "Diplomacy"-techs") called "tech-trading delegations" (or whatever) .. representing the effort, skills and adaption it takes to implement a techonolgy into use for another race.
The more of this you research, the more you are allowed to trade.

March 9, 2007 2:52:19 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I'd like to see bonus tiles for cash; I'd also like to see an occasional 300% (or greater than 100%, at any rate) bonus tile for Influence or Morale.

I like the idea of respawning anomalies; having them reappear at random throughout the course of the game is the only thing that could possibly make Galactic Guide Book useful.

Obviously, the Off-Type Defense and Permanent Fog bugs need to be squashed; I assume that they will be the subject of a patch long before 1.6 anyway.

I agree that the Population/Morale curve has gotten totally frelled; the fact that 300% food bonus tiles are essentially more trouble than they're worth is a good indication that something's fundamentally wrong with the model.
March 9, 2007 3:03:30 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I've said it before, and I shall say it again:

It is time for the Snathi to become a major race!
March 9, 2007 3:15:10 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
What changes I would like? Hmm... I have a long list, but I'll post only a few. Its not an expansion.

1. A fortify location command.
Both the sentry and guard commands allow you to tell ships to not to bug you, but suffer from a problem. The sentry command is cancelled when ever another races' ship comes into sensor range, and the guard is cancelled only when its an enemy ship. The problem is, sometimes you don't want to cancel... ever. Since starbases are not powerful enough to defend themselves, I like to place fleets that can in the same square as the starbase. That way, they must fight my fleet to destroy my resource starbases.

What I want the fortify command to do is to have the ships, or fleets, to stop asking me what to do. I really don't care if an enemy ship comes into sensor range, I still want my ships to hold their ground. I shouldn't have to keep telling them that.

2. A Repair command.
I'm sure everyone knows about the "upgrade to fully repair ship" trick by now. Since this trick exists, why not create a command that simply repairs the ship, so we don't feel guilty exploiting this trick.

3. An alternate space miner automate command.
The current automate command has the space miner flys around starting mines on every asteriod it can find. It then flys around upgrading all of your lowest level mines, and so on. All the flying around is a very time consuming process that could be done faster if it didn't fly around so much, but instead upgraded mining stations to the max level possible before moving on.

4. Fix the random auto-upgrade planet improvement bug.
Every so often, something happens that triggers any structure that can be upgraded to upgrade. This means basic factories (finished or not) will try to upgrade to industrial sectors if possible. Suffice to say, it takes a while. Its takes a lot more work to colonize a class 1 that the AI has missed, late in the game, than it should. Either you have to wait a very long time, or you have to keep coming back to make corrections.

5. Fix the non-replaceable power plant bug.
If you build a power plant and then destroy it, you can't replace it. The same thing happens if you order its construction and then cancel it. (I'm sure that this occurs with quantum, and anti-matter. Not sure about fusion).

March 9, 2007 3:16:18 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
0) UI
- display own stats always next to forgeign stats in the diplomacy section: a lot easier to compare the raw numbers!
- display bars in the stats section all at once (and therefor a bit smaller), the scrolling is very annoying and it would be better to be able to compare graphically all areas at once!

1) borders and interaction with AI
- be able to ask AI to stay out of own territory (area of influence)/stop cruising through it with massive fleets (as it does quite a lot sometimes)
- be able to threaten
- be able to ask for end of spying/suggest other victim

2) united planets interaction
- be able to bring in own suggestions to the meetings

3) enhance value of spying
- opponent technology level should only be knowable with certain espionage level
- the same for opponent rankings (economy, military, pop growth,...)
- the same for fleets (why can I see fleets in orbit at the other end of the galaxy???)
- certain espionage level (or absolute number of spies) should allow to find out who is spying me

4) other stuff (probably too much for 1.6)
- more depth in ship equipment (weapons, devices,..)
- separate population and military: army concept and population management (Drengin should not be easily incorporated in human empire!)
- more depth in space structure (effects of wormholes, nearby black holes, nebulae,...)
March 9, 2007 4:21:45 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Rebalance the alignments after researching xeno ethics!!! Currently Good is beyond terrible. Neutral is hugely powerful morale bonus, trade routes learning centres and best of all free tiles on terraforming tech. Evil weapons are not cost effective so pointless building the only really good thing going for evil is the 100% eco building which is prob minor bug. I would like a genuine choice that changes each game I'm fed up feeling forced into the same strategy caused by neutral being so strong it makes my games feel the same all the time.

Rebalance the Races and super abilities. Drengin corvettes need work 1 top of the line weapon and engine is what id personally like them to have perhaps the number could be lessesened if that makes it too powerful. Pointless going arceans a custom first strike race is prob better. Thalans and arguably Yor are probably to powerful ethier they need to be nerfed a little or the other races improved.

Weapons techs prob need an overhaul like the defence branch. Under the new combat rules missiles is def the donkey weapon branch.

And of course further AI updates.
March 9, 2007 4:30:23 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I completely agree with Lenius here. Those aren't really new features but things in the game that could surely use the improvement.
March 9, 2007 4:31:50 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Great thread:

* Be able to put the AI and myself into teams so that i can have "coalition wars"
* Be able to queue research so that it will continou without me having to click allot
* Be able to put more constructor modules on 1 ship, it will reduce micromanagment
* more diplomatic options (teams, stay out of my influence area, calling for help.
* AI ally shouldn't declare war on my opponont when war starts, i have to ask first.(and when they deny, alliance is broken, also maybe have more ways of asking help, like actuall fighting, just some money and ships, spy help (AI sends lots of spy to sabotage my opponont)).
* repair module for constructors
* economic tiles sound good to me to
* would be nice to buy more logistics and miniturization
March 9, 2007 4:49:47 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Individual tax rates for planets
Change 300% bonus food tile to +30% to population growth and 100% bonus food

Tax Paradise(PI): trade form/to that planet +50%
Orbital docking stations(PI): increase the maximum number of orbital ships to 15
Orbital defense stations(PI): increase the defense rating of defending ships
Starport Upgrades(Tech/PI): improves the starport by adding repair bonuses to ships in orbit and incresing military production.

Correct the influence/morale bonus tile effect in summary to accurately reflect the actual bonus.
March 9, 2007 5:01:34 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
An scenario option (the ones that change the rules) when starting a game for "Slow Start". What this will do it give you absolutely no ships at the beginning and NOT have a spaceport built on your planet. You might want to halve the intitial population too.

Personally I'd also like to see the cost of a spaceport increased at least 5x but I know this can be done in a mod. In fact, I'd like to make a tech requiement for it too.
March 9, 2007 5:32:35 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
1) Production change by rally point. It would be really nice to be able to produce warship in the war zone and constructors in the "backcountry" without changing production of every planet

2) Make the AI better use constructors to build starbases, especially economy starbases. It already does build good shipyard planets, but it takes econ starbases to get real shipyard powerhouses

3) Make the AI use the resources they control to their fullest extend. Currently they hardly upgrade their resource starbases at all, especially if they are involved in a war. It just bugs me when a powerful AI is building hundreds of warships while leaving their two military resources unupgraded

4) Do something to starbase defenses to either finally make them worthwhile for the constructors or remove them at all. Right now, starbase defenses are (in late game) beyond awful and a waste of constructors

5) in games without tech victory, have the AI upgrade all research tiles on their planets after they are through the tech tree

6) Make the AI build miners. Currently they don't, they only use their starting space miner. If it gets destroyed, they never replace it, so in late game it is not uncommon to see many asteroid field in AI territory without mining bases on it
March 9, 2007 5:56:53 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Nothing complicated: Just the ability to download patches/updates directly from the website... bypassing the SDC... since I do not have a PC that connects directly to the web (security concerns).
Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108431  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000828   Page Render Time: