Hi GaryHam---First of all I completely agree with what you have said with playing as or against the same races in every star trek game---so I'll give you an explanation why we went that route also.
1) We chose the most popular races that most people would want to play.
2) We also went with the races that had the most ships available for import into the game from the net (we had to get permission from those creators before we could put them into the game. For the races you mentioned we just could not find enough ships for---imagine playing a game and only having a handfull of ships to choose from.
3) We had to come to a point where we started adding in different parts of the game into the mod---for example the tech tree we are working on currently. We spent a phenominal amount of hours just working on ships, planet textures, race pics, music etc.
4) We were missing a member of the mod for this latest release and now he's returned for our next release--WELCOME BACK REN!!!
5) Most importantly we are adding a section to our website that will include a section for anyone that would like to link an upload of work they would like to add to the mod---who knows maybe you or someone might like to add something to the mod to make it even better:)
Btw there wasnt one star trek series I didnt enjoy---heck even ds9 and enterprise had a great last season:)