Society Screenshots

Stardock's OTHER game project

By on March 13, 2006 7:43:06 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums External Link

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1077

While many of us are working on Galactic Civilizations II in order to deliver new updates, the rest of our game team is working on our other major game title, Society.

Society is a massively multiplayer RTS. But it's not an RTS in the sense most people think of it -- warfare is not what people will spend most of their time doing.  Most of the time is spent building their society -- constructing buildings, researching the endless technology tree (it's a persistent world so that tech tree goes on forever), helping their Socians live out their lives, trading with neigbhors.  Oh, don't get me wrong, there's definitely war. It's just not that common.

If you thought the ship design stuff in GalCiv II is cool, wait till you see what you'll be doing in Society. Virtually everything can optionally be designed by the users (see screenshot).

To get the latest news on it, head over to www.societygame.com.

34 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 13, 2006 8:00:22 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Great stuff! ...I cant wait for this game.
March 13, 2006 8:19:38 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Where can we pre-order?
March 13, 2006 8:24:50 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
It looks interesting in a lot of ways, but it would be better if it was "Galactic" society, or somesuch . Remember, living day to day life, building up my world around me, organizing my environemnt, mowing my lawn, working...thats what I do everyday. I dont need to pay to do it in a game

The player created world elements are really intriguing, but only if they have a fantastical edge to them as well. Paying evey month to build up a hovel, until I research thatched hut...youre going to have to sell me on that a bit more. But there are definitely interesting notions at work.
March 13, 2006 8:27:06 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
definently interesting sounds like sim city on a MMO basis with research and warfare definently something that i need to look into once the beta comes out
March 13, 2006 8:48:10 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Once again, I am eagerly awaiting another excellent game from Stardock
March 13, 2006 9:26:20 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
When's beta?
March 13, 2006 9:49:09 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Interesting concept and I like the screenshot!
March 13, 2006 9:50:30 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
It does look like a pretty cool game. I know I'm loving galciv2.
March 13, 2006 10:10:51 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Looks interesting but I would like more information before I'm sold on the idea. I'm still hoping on an online addition to Gal Civ 2.
March 13, 2006 10:28:58 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
MMM so in theory although the game starts in a medieval world it could evolve into a post-modern future society at some point? Sounds really cool and a real time-waster.

Certainly a very very interesting concept - although probably not one for me.
March 13, 2006 10:40:29 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Yeah: When, and how much?
March 13, 2006 11:04:32 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I'm quite torn about this game: it looks great and will suck me in but I had to stop playing the Sims because I got too attached to them and worried about them losing friends and jobs...How could I ever send my socians off to war?
March 13, 2006 11:34:11 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
It'll be a long while before it's out. Like years.
March 13, 2006 11:52:11 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I don't think that words can express how much I have wanted a game like this to be made. Did I ever mention that I love you guys, because Stardock really rocks.
March 14, 2006 12:44:20 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Well, I guess I will be first to say, I just do not play games with a monthly fee (figuring that is what this will have) as you are too tied to the game since you are automatically paying for it every month, makes you feel like you have to play it to justify the expense.

Just me maybe, but I have an aversion to paying to play the same game month after month.

It does sound fun though, as I really like games where you build an economy and civilization with little fighting (Settlers, and Cultures type games).
March 14, 2006 1:15:47 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Brad does mention for Society it will be free. The premium version (mainly enhanced content) will be subscription based and have an intial cost.

Running and maintaining servers cost alot of money so they will need some cashflow to keep it going. It would be nice if MMO simply didn't charge you for the time you didn't use, but then it could become difficult to make a profit and further develop the title doing things that way. MMO's can be quite expensive to develop and maintain.

There is also the MMO model that GuildWars uses, which is to create episodic content every 6 months (they missed the mark on that though).

The idea is subsidise the game through getting the loyal players to fork over the dough for a new expansion pack (ala Magic the Gathering). I believe this can only be really succsessful if you can meet the episode release schedule, and have a great foundational design that allows you to build and build uppon it. So players will feel like there is real value to each expansion pack, but don't need to buy the expansion to get full enjoyment out of the game. Magic the Gathering card game uses (or at least use too) this model. Just need the core set to enjoy the game, but the expansions add some extra flavor and mix things up.

MMO's take alot of design research to develop well and TONS of playtesting. Even after the game is released it must be continually tweaked to adapt to players antics and keep people around. It's a HUGE investment. TONS of developers have thought about doing MMO's but ultimately canceled the project. I hope Brad is succesful and can pull it off. It seems very interesting.

It kind of reminds me of the mmo "tale in the desert" ...I think that is what it is called, that focuses on building a culture.
I wonder if brad was inspired by this mmo? among other sources. I mean almost all modern ideas are inspired from some other previous source so no shame in that.
March 14, 2006 2:20:14 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
This game sounds very cool!

I will be watching and waiting.
March 14, 2006 3:12:14 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Remember, living day to day life, building up my world around me, organizing my environemnt, mowing my lawn, working...thats what I do everyday. I dont need to pay to do it in a game

Indeed! That's why I left SWG (I played it from release for a few months). I liked the crafting system and had some fun as a master tailor (Link), but it got to the point where I was spending all my time traveling around planets checking and moving my harvesters to get the resources to do the crafting, and it became more of a job than a game - I no longer had time to creatively craft and interact with people, all the time I had available to play was taken with maintenance.

Glancing over this game, it looks as if much of this kind of thing can be handled by the AI when I'm not logged in, if I'm reading it right. This is a good thing.

On a related note, it's very important to make sure if we don't log in for a bit we won't find everything in ruins. Sometimes life happens and we can't log in for a day... or a week... or three months... and if we know we'll be coming back to find a smoldering ruin, covered in weeds and the rotting corpses of our former followers who were too stupid to feed or clean up after themselves, there won't be much incentive to ever come back.
March 14, 2006 9:05:19 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
Iam always up to try out MMOGames. ^^
March 14, 2006 9:10:56 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
I just do not play games with a monthly fee (figuring that is what this will have) as you are too tied to the game since you are automatically paying for it every month, makes you feel like you have to play it to justify the expense.

i never got this argument and i see it at least once on every game forum i have visited. i pay a phone, car, internet, directv, xm radio bill every month and i dont feel the urge to constantly use them to make sure im getting my moneys worth, would be hard to do anyway. 15 a month? most people spend that going out for lunch 3 times a week at mcdonalds and what do you get from that? heartburn and regret
March 14, 2006 10:33:13 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
"Well, there’s around 30,000 provinces in a given game, but more to the point, players gain bonuses depending on how few hours they play per week. A player can bank up to 8 hours per week of “bonus” time where their units gets various bonuses. If a gamer plays more than a certain number of hours per day, they start to take penalties to production and unit effectiveness. "

I cringe at the thought of leaving my game to the AI because the penalties are stacking and someone decided to invade my territory. (multiple times)

Would battles be decided with both sides using all they have in just their territories and without user tactics?
March 14, 2006 1:14:03 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
The game is going to be awesome, lets hurry up Frogboy, so maybe is out by the end of this year.
March 14, 2006 2:26:21 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
i never got this argument and i see it at least once on every game forum i have visited. i pay a phone, car, internet, directv, xm radio bill every month and i dont feel the urge to constantly use them to make sure im getting my moneys worth, would be hard to do anyway. 15 a month? most people spend that going out for lunch 3 times a week at mcdonalds and what do you get from that? heartburn and regret

That is rather funny, and nothing like paying to "play" a game. Every one of those items you list I am certain you use every day of your life with little to no exception. Most gamers have many (50, 75, 100+) games that they enjoy playing. So, to pay for one (same) game every month puts it in a totally different category.
You do not pay for your XM Radio and still listen to the non-pay radio the majority of the time do you? Your time is spent on what you are paying for.

For you $15 a month is well worth it, but that is not a statement everyone is going to make. That same $15 could more or less be turned into a game you own, out right every 3 months.

It is a personal call on each one's part, and for me I just will not pay to play the same game month after month, even if it I would have enjoyed it or it has a new building or occupation inserted here and there.

March 14, 2006 2:28:37 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
ditto posting, oops
March 14, 2006 7:02:12 PM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums
researching the endless technology tree (it's a persistent world so that tech tree goes on forever)

endless tech tree? unless the tech tree turns into +1 road building +2 road building, +3, +4 on into infiniti, I find it very hard to believe that avid players wont bump into a cap. even with constant development.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000437   Page Render Time: